2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure the FAFSA is if you plan on taking any federal loans at all. So unless you plan on paying 100% for med school (either out-of-pocket or with private loans [don't do take private loans]) then you should do the FAFSA. It only takes like 10 minutes.
Well, I'm actually hoping to get a scholarship. Either HPSP, or something UNC-specific. And private loans aren't THAT bad with a good credit score and the right bank.

My question was, will UNC use the FAFSA when deciding things like merit scholarships or specific program scholarships? And will they just not consider me for that stuff if I don't have my FAFSA filled out?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm actually hoping to get a scholarship. Either HPSP, or something UNC-specific. And private loans aren't THAT bad with a good credit score and the right bank.

My question was, will UNC use the FAFSA when deciding things like merit scholarships or specific program scholarships? And will they just not consider me for that stuff if I don't have my FAFSA filled out?
Well, to be honest, my interview at UNC isn't until next week, so I haven't been given the financial aid talks. However, most other schools I've interviewed at say they use the CSS Profile (which includes parental income, regardless of your age) to judge financial need. The FAFSA is just for federal loans. Even if you don't end up taking out and federal loans, I would highly recommend completing it. It's super easy and it will do nothing to hurt you at all. Better to keep all doors open than to be left without any options.

Reactions: 1 user

Not sure about UNC med, but at undergrad in the UNC system you couldn't be considered for any scholarships through the school without completing the FAFSA

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody else had their status changed to “decided” and still not heard anything?

Not to jump the gun but it's likely an acceptance especially if it changed on Tuesday! Lots of people have posted about getting the acceptance paperwork update a couple days after the "decided" pops up on their portal or they get a call

Reactions: 1 users
You spoke it into existence, just got the email!!
Not to jump the gun but it's likely an acceptance especially if it changed on Tuesday! Lots of people have posted about getting the acceptance paperwork update a couple days after the "decided" pops up on their portal or they get a call

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
got the call this afternoon, just got the email. 10/1 interview IS. also brody acceptance a month ago, so i don't think they're mutually exclusive (anecdotal haha)

LizzyM 74.5, wars 82

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At the 1/11 interview earlier this week they really emphasized that the class was NOT full yet and that they had their work cut out for them so take that as you will!

Reactions: 7 users
UNC please accept me. I promise I’ll do ok. I just need that A 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Ahahahha I’m a September II candidate and my portal still says awaiting decision. Please. UNC. PLEASE. I LUV U.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Ahahahha I’m a September II candidate and my portal still says awaiting decision. Please. UNC. PLEASE. I LUV U.
+1. Happy for everyone who got in, but my soul is crushed (has been for weeks now) and at this point I'm expecting the worst. I really wish UNC was like most other schools that give you a post-II decision within a month or two.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
+1. Happy for everyone who got in, but my soul is crushed (has been for weeks now) and at this point I'm expecting the worst. I really wish UNC was like most other schools that give you a post-II decision within a month or two.
+2. I also expect the worst, just based off last years thread around this time. However, I will say that it does seem that a majority of people who have posted that they've been accepted have above average stats for UNCs median. Any chance they are still being rather reserved, only giving acceptances to the most competitive of candidates, and plan to be more gracious in the hopefully near future? :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
+2. I also expect the worst, just based off last years thread around this time. However, I will say that it does seem that a majority of people who have posted that they've been accepted have above average stats for UNCs median. Any chance they are still being rather reserved, only giving acceptances to the most competitive of candidates, and plan to be more gracious in the hopefully near future? :)

That's what gives me a bit of hope, so fingers crossed! It makes sense that they prioritize acceptances for those with high stats and competitive URM applicants.

I hope so! Honestly if they can track how many times applicants log into their portals, they would probably think I’m some obsessed stalker because I’m checking the whole time lol

From what I gathered here, approximately 50ish acceptances have been given out on SDN.🤷🏻‍♂️

From what I gathered here, approximately 50ish acceptances have been given out on SDN.🤷🏻‍♂️
From the sheet that's posted with acceptance information from last year, it looks like UNC gave out around 300 acceptances (IS+OOS). Even if you assume 3-4 times as many people have been accepted as having posted on sdn that means there's atleast around 100-150 acceptances to give out, so don't lose hope! Still waiting like a lot of people so I'm hoping the best for everyone 🙇‍♀️

From the sheet that's posted with acceptance information from last year, it looks like UNC gave out around 300 acceptances (IS+OOS). Even if you assume 3-4 times as many people have been accepted as having posted on sdn that means there's atleast around 100-150 acceptances to give out, so don't lose hope! Still waiting like a lot of people so I'm hoping the best for everyone 🙇‍♀️
So how much would you say is IS and OOS out of the 100-150?

So how much would you say is IS and OOS out of the 100-150?
There were 71 OOS and 227 IS acceptances last year, so total speculation because I have too much time on my hands but I'd say on the lower end of 100 maybe 70-80 IS and 20-30 OOS? And upper end of 150 about 110ish IS and 30-40ish OOS. Of course this is just me crunching numbers to be neurotic

For other accepted applicants, did anyone receive anything in the mail after the call/portal update? I know some schools send stuff out and some don’t, wasn’t sure if UNC was among the ones that do.

Just recounted SDN A’s, I can still be wrong, and I got: 21 IS, 7 OOS, and 2 N/A (Didn’t specify)

Reactions: 2 users
For other accepted applicants, did anyone receive anything in the mail after the call/portal update? I know some schools send stuff out and some don’t, wasn’t sure if UNC was among the ones that do.
I haven't gotten anything in the mail, got the A in early November

So this will not be very humble, but I can confirm that I am a VERY strong applicant (scores and ECs) with really deep involvement and stellar recs. Incredibly grateful to have all that. The reason I say it is not too brag, but maybe give some credibility to your theory. I have gotten multiple other acceptances, for reference. n=1 though.

So this will not be very humble, but I can confirm that I am a VERY strong applicant (scores and ECs) with really deep involvement and stellar recs. Incredibly grateful to have all that. The reason I say it is not too brag, but maybe give some credibility to your theory. I have gotten multiple other acceptances, for reference. n=1 though.
Respect and thank you for sharing.

Reactions: 2 users
Portal changed to "Decided" from "Awaiting Decision" and I still have not heard anything. IS, pre-II. Anybody have this happen to them? Bad news?

I was at their minimum MCAT and sGPA requirements for OOS applicants that are listed on their website. I do have a good amount of research experience and other deep ECs that I think helped, along with my essays. But definitely not a high stat applicant for them, especially for OOS just to offer another experience to the convo!

Portal changed to "Decided" from "Awaiting Decision" and I still have not heard anything. IS, pre-II. Anybody have this happen to them? Bad news?
same, also pre-II. Likely R coming in the morning. :(

Sounds like they’ll be sending pre-II R’s for IS pretty soon.😧

I don’t even want to look at portal now to see if it has changed...😬

For those who have been accepted: Is there a place we are supposed to navigate to in order to go through acceptance procedures (like putting the deposit down)? I got the call a few days ago and still haven't received anything about what I am formally supposed to do, other than the portal changing to accepted. I just don't want to miss my window to accept!

What makes you say that? Is that typically what they do?
i mean.. what else could it be? if you got an II and it changes from awaiting to decided.. that makes sense - you either got in or didnt. but since we dont have IIs, id imagine it is an R. sad reality :/ - this was my top choice !

For those who have been accepted: Is there a place we are supposed to navigate to in order to go through acceptance procedures (like putting the deposit down)? I got the call a few days ago and still haven't received anything about what I am formally supposed to do, other than the portal changing to accepted. I just don't want to miss my window to accept!
Yes in the UNC secondary portal there should be a link to pay your deposit. Email them if your portal hasn't updated. You have 2 weeks from the day you were accepted to pay your deposit. Best of luck ! <3

Sending the bestest of vibes to everyone! You’re more special than any SOM decision.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
How do we know if Unc has received our FAFSA? All I did was put their code into the “colleges attended” section

How do we know if Unc has received our FAFSA? All I did was put their code into the “colleges attended” section
I assume you got the email from UNC on this. As long as you added UNC’s school code (002974), signed, and submitted, then you are all set. I guess you could contact them if you are worried about it still. The contact info is in the email.

“If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected], schedule a virtual meeting or call 919-962-6118. We are here to help YOU. “

Non need based scholarships do not need FAFSA filled out.

Also...does anyone know the date that school starts? I can't find any formal calendar's released. I can guess based on last year's, but figured there would be something concrete by this point.