2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got asked “what healthcare environment you’ve worked in would you change, assuming you had the resources, what would you do, and why?” I would recommend just reflecting on your healthcare experiences and thinking about how patient care could be improved within each of them. Additionally, I would familiarise yourself with the healthcare needs of North Carolina. It’s a state with lots of unique needs and mentioning them would definitely benefit you.
Thank you!
That seems like a difficult question to answer because I dont want to be too critical of the places I have worked..... I feel like there is fine line there
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone interviewed on 10/1 that's heard back? a bit concerned since 10/8 interviewees are hearing back haha. congrats to all of y'all that got it!
I interviewed then and haven't heard anything haha but assuming other people have since 10/8 people are getting notified. Feeling very anxious haha but trying to stay positive
 
Thank you!
That seems like a difficult question to answer because I dont want to be too critical of the places I have worked..... I feel like there is fine line there
I had this question in mine and I don't think it comes off as critical, just that you really want the best for the places you worked! I talked about my experience in a well-known practice and my interviewer didn't think it was negative, just that she didn't think about it that way. I think if you mention the need that isn't being met it won't come off in a bad way 🙂
 
Scheduled mine for November 23rd. Anybody have any tips for the group portion?
I interviewed with them on 11/9. I can't really say anything specific, but I can say that the entire day is super low stress. The group interview especially. I went in super nervous because they are my top choice, but everyone is super friendly and the interviews were actually fun. Be yourself, dress professionally, and honestly just know your application and secondary. It was an incredibly positive experience.
 
What's the earliest we can realistically expect to hear back after our interview? A month or so? Or longer? I don't want to keep checking my phone every 10 minutes at work... 😆
 
What's the earliest we can realistically expect to hear back after our interview? A month or so? Or longer? I don't want to keep checking my phone every 10 minutes at work... 😆

From my knowledge of admissions, most people hear back a (month after +/- a week) if they wanted you in quickly. However, if you do not hear back do not fret because I have friends that interviewed last year in November and got acceptance in February so you still can get in.
 
From my knowledge of admissions, most people hear back a (month after +/- a week) if they wanted you in quickly. However, if you do not hear back do not fret because I have friends that interviewed last year in November and got acceptance in February so you still can get in.
I would change that timeline to 5-6 weeks for most.
 
To anyone who interviewed and is still waiting to hear back, I know how stressful it is. Especially when ppl who interviewed after you start reporting acceptances. I'm an MS4 at UNC and remember interviewing in September. It was complete radio silence until I was accepted in February. I later ran into my interviewer who remembered me and brought up specific points about my application that she really liked. Long story short- I think the timeline is just really unpredictable and hearing nothing is not necessarily bad news.
 
To anyone who interviewed and is still waiting to hear back, I know how stressful it is. Especially when ppl who interviewed after you start reporting acceptances. I'm an MS4 at UNC and remember interviewing in September. It was complete radio silence until I was accepted in February. I later ran into my interviewer who remembered me and brought up specific points about my application that she really liked. Long story short- I think the timeline is just really unpredictable and hearing nothing is not necessarily bad news.
Thanks for the motivating words! That said, I hope I don't have to wait until Feb hahahahaha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To anyone who interviewed and is still waiting to hear back, I know how stressful it is. Especially when ppl who interviewed after you start reporting acceptances. I'm an MS4 at UNC and remember interviewing in September. It was complete radio silence until I was accepted in February. I later ran into my interviewer who remembered me and brought up specific points about my application that she really liked. Long story short- I think the timeline is just really unpredictable and hearing nothing is not necessarily bad news.
Thanks so much for this! I interviewed 2 weeks ago and the suspense is already killing me. I want that call so bad.
 
Guys I interviewed on the 16th and I still haven't done my vita. I am so scared to do it, and know that I cant keep avoiding it. Would it be ok to turn it in 3 days after completing the actual interview? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow.
 
Guys I interviewed on the 16th and I still haven't done my vita. I am so scared to do it, and know that I cant keep avoiding it. Would it be ok to turn it in 3 days after completing the actual interview? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow.
Just do it ASAP. I am sure you will be fine. Knock it out. Get it done. It's a drag, but wasn't too bad. Took me like an hour with a few breaks, but then I was done. Gotta do it to get that A.
 
Guys I interviewed on the 16th and I still haven't done my vita. I am so scared to do it, and know that I cant keep avoiding it. Would it be ok to turn it in 3 days after completing the actual interview? I was thinking of doing it tomorrow.
I would be more nervous about missing out on an acceptance since you haven’t turned that in. It’s very straight forward common sense stuff that anyone will do well on. Don’t sweat it
 
I would be more nervous about missing out on an acceptance since you haven’t turned that in. It’s very straight forward common sense stuff that anyone will do well on. Don’t sweat it
honestly thanks for this lol. Cause the moment I read this, I actually decided to go ahead and do the interview 🙂
 
What kind of communication is allowed post-interview? I see on the website no updates, but could we potentially send another rec letter, a letter of intent, a new transcript, etc? Waiting is so hard!
 
What kind of communication is allowed post-interview? I see on the website no updates, but could we potentially send another rec letter, a letter of intent, a new transcript, etc? Waiting is so hard!
In my personal experience with this SOM admissions office, they can be a mite ornery in communications (n=1 though). And they did emphasize in emails like the II email that they do not take updates except at the time of your interview.
 
What kind of communication is allowed post-interview? I see on the website no updates, but could we potentially send another rec letter, a letter of intent, a new transcript, etc? Waiting is so hard!
This question was asked at the end of my interview day there and the admissions office said they don't want Letters of intent or interest; they didn't think they were necessary. They also said for any updates, they will only accept them if the admissions office is the one that asks for them. So basically, you can send thank you notes through attendify but that's it.
 
What kind of communication is allowed post-interview? I see on the website no updates, but could we potentially send another rec letter, a letter of intent, a new transcript, etc? Waiting is so hard!
I have a close friend with the admissions department and I’ve been told that they want no updates whatsoever. The admissions department is made up of 2 people and they’re reviewing thousands of applications so they do not want extra correspondence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad