2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long do you have to record the answer? Is it the same as the practice?
I think it’s the same as practice. There was def one written response.

Members don't see this ad.

How long do you have to record the answer? Is it the same as the practice?
It's not the same as the practice. You get like 1.5 minutes to respond and 2 to prepare I think. It was said further back in the thread somewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the scholarships! It never hurts to send a thank you note, but it's not going to be taken from you if you don't. Something short, too the point, and addressed to Dean Ratts would probably do the trick if you're so inclined. I sent a thank you for mine, but I also got mine over email. So your call, really!

Did anyone who got an A have a tough time with the video interview? I felt so great after my actual interview but thinking back over my recordings I'm like... oh no...
Curious how tanked that means I am haha

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who got an A have a tough time with the video interview? I felt so great after my actual interview but thinking back over my recordings I'm like... oh no...
Curious how tanked that means I am haha
I genuinely did terribly on the video interviews, was really concerned...but I got accepted. My guess is they're not weighing those too heavily this year.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Ok, I hate to be "that guy," but I'll ask because I'm sure others are thinking about it. Does attending the "Why WashU" weekly sessions have any impact on admissions? As in, do they record who shows up to what events?
Of course, I want to attend any info sessions I can to learn more about the school, but I don't want to get attached over several months only to be rejected at the end lol. If I get in, I'd definitely try to learn as much as possible, fly out to visit WashU, explore St. Louis, etc. But until then I wouldn't want to come off as disinterested.

Nah we don't track that sort of stuff AFAIK. Especially not the "Meet the M1s" meeting. I'm running one this Thursday and can promise that we aren't tracking names, and there's no expectation by admissions to report on who attends. We're too busy memorizing antibiotics to memorize or write down interviewee names lol

Reactions: 5 users
Hi y'all! I just want to confirm that on the actual interview day we only have our 2 faculty interviews right? We don't have any other activities to attend that day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know soon should we expect to hear back after our interviews?

Does anyone know soon should we expect to hear back after our interviews?
Looking at this and last years threads it seems to be anywhere from 2/3 weeks to several months lol

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone tell me what the dress code is for the Why WashU Wednesday sessions? Thank you!

Can anyone tell me what the dress code is for the Why WashU Wednesday sessions? Thank you!
I went with business casual (button up + a nice cardigan). There were all sorts of attires though, from people wearing casual clothes to some wearing a full on suit.

Have any end of October interviewees heard back?
Not me :( Saw someone earlier post that last year apparently they did a handful of early A's in November then nothing really til January...

• Wow
Congrats on the scholarships! It never hurts to send a thank you note, but it's not going to be taken from you if you don't. Something short, too the point, and addressed to Dean Ratts would probably do the trick if you're so inclined. I sent a thank you for mine, but I also got mine over email. So your call, really!
Oh no! Would it be too late if I sent one tonight or tomorrow?

Last edited:
Interviewed mid Oct and nothing yet. One student informed me that very few As go out in Nov and many more do in Jan. I heard they really like letters of interest so I've been thinking of sending one with a few updates.

Interviewed mid Oct and nothing yet. One student informed me that very few As go out in Nov and many more do in Jan. I heard they really like letters of interest so I've been thinking of sending one with a few updates.
If this application cycle was delayed (maybe like a month?), would it be possible for some extraordinary folks to hear in december as well?

Also interviewed mid October and haven’t heard anything. I’ve already submitted a letter of interest/ update. This month is gonna pass by very slowly.

To respond to the last few questions:

It's never too late to send a thank you note - better late than never. You haven't violated any norms by not sending one, but it'll definitely make admissions and the scholarship committee happy to receive one. Just say that you've been telling everyone about it and that you just want to reiterate how grateful you are.

As for IIs, plenty of time left, and we're behind as is. I got my II here in late December (like the 29th or something) and here I am. I was where y'all are a year ago, and I really do understand how stressful it is, and how little it helps to hear "be patient", but at this point, there's very little you can do.

Unfortunately the same goes for acceptances. They're very slow, they're going to trickle out somewhat sporadically and stochastically, and the big dump is late February/early March. If I had my way we'd have A's going out every week, but I'm just a dumb M1 so my opinion to admissions isn't worth a ton haha. Patience is really going to be the key here, as much as it sucks. I'm rooting for all of y'all!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hi! For people who sent in thank you letters to the admissions email asking to forward them to your interviewers, did you guys get a response?

Hi! For people who sent in thank you letters to the admissions email asking to forward them to your interviewers, did you guys get a response?
I originally emailed my interviewers a thank you note directly, then later sent them on to admissions, but never received any sort of confirmation. I'm just assuming I did the right thing and no response is needed?

Neither of my interviewers responded to me. I got responses from interviewers at other schools, so it was a little unsettling that I didn't get a response from either interviewer at WashU. Oh well.

Edit: I sent my thank you notes directly to my interviewers and CC'd the admissions office.

I originally emailed my interviewers a thank you note directly, then later sent them on to admissions, but never received any sort of confirmation. I'm just assuming I did the right thing and no response is needed?
I did the same thing and also didn't receive a reply.

Neither of my interviewers responded to me. I got responses from interviewers at other schools, so it was a little unsettling that I didn't get a response from either interviewer at WashU. Oh well.

Edit: I sent my thank you notes directly to my interviewers and CC'd the admissions office.
I got a reply from one and not the other, I highly doubt this means anything. The one that replied to me probably replies to everyone and is just trying to be courteous.

At another school I also sent my thank you notes directly to my interviewers and they never replied. I got accepted so I think your interviewer getting back to you has no bearing, many times it is just a formality. Also, they probably get 1000 emails a day so they could have read it and easily gotten distracted right away.

At another school I also sent my thank you notes directly to my interviewers and they never replied. I got accepted so I think your interviewer getting back to you has no bearing, many times it is just a formality. Also, they probably get 1000 emails a day so they could have read it and easily gotten distracted right away.
Agree. I interviewed at a school that said, "No thank you letters. We know you are thankful for the opportunity to interview." I liked that. Remembering details of an interview to throw together a thank you note for someone that is probably swamped at work as it is... seems contrived. I understand and respect formality, but some things just create more unnecessary work for the sender and receiver. That said, I think there are exceptions where a follow-up e-mail is warranted, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I didn't send a thank you note to my employer after interviewing.

Thanks for letting me know! I was just wondering if my thank you letters ever ended up being forwarded to my interviewers by the admissions office.

would it be worth sending a pre-ii update letter? i was planning on sending over my spring term grades along with talking about a promotion i got as a scribe?

I interviewed October 26th, but they haven’t released any decisions for my interview day on correct?

I interviewed October 26th, but they haven’t released any decisions for my interview day on correct?
I don't think your interview date is an accurate measurement of whether they have "passed" on giving you an A, if that is what you're trying to gauge. It seems like they accept outstanding candidates at this time range (Nov-Jan) and that the majority come out in Feb-March as is indicated by previous years' threads. All those with As so far this cycle that I have seen on this thread are after the date I interviewed, and honestly I am not worried (and this is my top choice!) because I know this process takes time and I don't think I'm insanely good or anything to deserve an early acceptance, but I genuinely love this school.

Also, I recall when I scrolled through 2019's thread, and I saw people with September or October interviews getting their acceptances in February. So there's really no way to know when you could hear from them until the cycle is over.

Edit: And WashU did say April 15th, 2021 is the latest you could get your decision from them!

Reactions: 3 users
Summary from the last few question:

I always suggest sending thank yous to both the interviewer and the admissions office. Yes, it's a formality, but it's also a good habit to get into. You're going to interview a lot over the next few years (residency, fellowships, research jobs, attending jobs, chaired professorships, etc) and being known as someone who takes the time to say thank you can't hurt. I've certainly spoken to members of various adcoms who have said that they really appreciate the notes. So while it isn't a strict rule, send them in and send them to both the Office of Admissions and your interviewer. It sure can't hurt!

Regarding interviews and how long they'll go out, that's a tough question. Last time I spoke to Dean Ratts she indicated that we might be interviewing into March. We're not just behind, we're also up about 18% in terms of raw numbers, which tracks nicely with the national data (great NPR article on this yesterday, actually). I don't think interview slots will be cut, but the percentages of people interviewed will necessarily decline (say, 1000 interviews for 8500 people instead of 7200 people in a normal year*).

*Disclaimer: this is an example, not to be conflated with the true numbers

MSTP-specific question (I believe): what's a Wrap-Up interview?

MSTP-specific question (I believe): what's a Wrap-Up interview?
A representative of the MSTP committee will ask you any follow up questions that the committee had after your panel interview, and you will have an opportunity to ask them any final questions about the program.

anyone know if more decisions will be released this month?
I hope so, if I'm one of those acceptances ;)

But in all seriousness, I think that they might since last year they did sparsely give out A's throughout December. Of course this is just my conjecture; they also started late this year with interviews, so maybe they're just taking the process a little more slowly and they'll decide to put it off until January. I wouldn't bet on A's going out in the week leading up to Christmas and then until maybe early January, but perhaps we could keep our hopes up until end of next week.

MSTP A!! :love: I interviewed in mid-November and got the call yesterday. They said there was an MD committee meeting yesterday and they will make my status official on Monday, so I anticipate there will be a wave of As on Monday on the MD side.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Got the call for MD acceptance last night! My interviewer called right after she got out of the committee meeting. It's my first acceptance and as a WashU undergrad one of my top choices! Feeling great. Interviewed first week of Oct before some of the previous acceptances, so interview date probably doesn't correlate much with acceptance timeline.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Got the call for MD acceptance last night! My interviewer called right after she got out of the committee meeting. It's my first acceptance and as a WashU undergrad one of my top choices! Feeling great. Interviewed first week of Oct before some of the previous acceptances, so interview date probably doesn't correlate much with acceptance timeline.
Congratulations! Have you received an email as well? Wondering if calls will slowly go out today and next week.

Congratulations! Have you received an email as well? Wondering if calls will slowly go out today and next week.
Thanks! No email yet. My interviewer said it might take a couple of days. I know an MSTP friend who got a call this morning so calls may vary.