2021-2022 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all, I have my CUSOM interview next week. For those who have already interviewed... are the two interviews one-on-one?
Yup! Each 30 min back to back with either admin or faculty. They’re all super nice and laidback :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those who had their interview already, did you send updates as a PDF or just bulleted in the email body itself? Feels a little informal to me..

If it helps at all, it took them two weeks and one day to send out their decision in my case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted just now!! A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today. Anyone else with multiple acceptances struggling which school to choose? I think CUSOM is my top choice but I’m just a little unsure since it’s a fairly new school. But the stats are pretty great

Same, I have two schools at the moment that I'm trying to decide between and would love to hear from current CUSOM students as to general advice on where to go. I loved my interview day and was blown away by this program.

Same, I have two schools at the moment that I'm trying to decide between and would love to hear from current CUSOM students as to general advice on where to go. I loved my interview day and was blown away by this program.
@Nerdout19! and @Hello_There_117 there is a forum just for these kinds of comparisons here: Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School

It's a good place to read discussions of others making decisions, just search for your schools in titles of past posts.

@wysdoc Why does campbell have alot of transitional year matches...idk if that's a good sign or bad sign

I love this school, but this is low key concerning me

oh what...thats not good at all
Hey so I just wanted to check back with you and say that transitional years aren't necessarily a bad thing. Students go this route if they need an extra year to figure out what they're going to do or if they're preferred specialty requires it. That's what i've been told by the few physicians i've spoken with at least. Hope this helps.

Hey so I just wanted to check back with you and say that transitional years aren't necessarily a bad thing. Students go this route if they need an extra year to figure out what they're going to do or if they're preferred specialty requires it. That's what i've been told by the few physicians i've spoken with at least. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate it !

Has anyone here gotten an II or acceptance with MCAT below their minimum?
Hey! I’m a second year at cusom. I was slightly below the MCAT minimum and was accepted, although I think part of that was influenced by my CARS score. The admissions committee looks at applicants as a whole, not just their scores and UG grades. They really value background diversity within the student body. They are looking for candidates that will make great doctors, and place less emphasis on your ability to regurgitate information on a standardized test. I hope this helps! Good luck! Lmk if you have any other questions I can help with :)

Accepted today. Anyone else with multiple acceptances struggling which school to choose? I think CUSOM is my top choice but I’m just a little unsure since it’s a fairly new school. But the stats are pretty great
With multiple acceptances I think the best strategy is to choose the school and faculty you liked the most during the interview. Your first instincts about a program are probably right. I would also consider if the school is in an area you want to live. Lastly, I would look at the stats, because ultimately you need to know the program is effectively preparing students to pass the boards. Congratulations on your acceptances! It’s a good problem to have!

Hey! I’m a second year at cusom. I was slightly below the MCAT minimum and was accepted, although I think part of that was influenced by my CARS score. The admissions committee looks at applicants as a whole, not just their scores and UG grades. They really value background diversity within the student body. They are looking for candidates that will make great doctors, and place less emphasis on your ability to regurgitate information on a standardized test. I hope this helps! Good luck! Lmk if you have any other questions I can help with :)
What 3rd party resources does CUSOM give access to such ad b&b/amboss/uworld etc?

With multiple acceptances I think the best strategy is to choose the school and faculty you liked the most during the interview. Your first instincts about a program are probably right. I would also consider if the school is in an area you want to live. Lastly, I would look at the stats, because ultimately you need to know the program is effectively preparing students to pass the boards. Congratulations on your acceptances! It’s a good problem to have!
Have you had a good experience so far? How do you like the area? Do you feel confident their clerkship rotations are good?

Reactions: 1 users
thanks! already received the R lol

hey all I was application complete early july and haven't heard anything... should I reach out?

hey all I was application complete early july and haven't heard anything... should I reach out?
Yes! They're usually very responsive and regularly send update emails.

Last edited:
How many students used SOAP to match?

Does anybody know where I can find this information or anybody knows this?

How many students used SOAP to match?

Does anybody know where I can find this information or anybody knows this?
I don't know of any schools that report that (apparently WVSOM does). Most schools only list the total number of students or percentage of students placed into residencies and some even say how many "matched" into residencies but that term is often misused since they usually mean matched + soaped.

If you look the match data for this year 89.1% of DO seniors matched (vs 92.8% of MDs) so that means you can expect around 10% of the class to not match and have to SOAP which may be higher or lower depending on the school but its really not something to be too concerned with IMO since its something even MD's have to deal with (albeit 7.2% vs 10.9%) and its something that you would never find out the data for as far as I know, and soap can still result in being placed into a residency which is the ultimate goal anyway.

Someone mentioned previously a high number of transitional year matches at CUSOM. This looks like it could be students applying to advanced residencies that failed to match the advanced residency but did match a TY and will have to reapply the next year. Some residencies for example anesthesiology require a PGY1 transitional/prelim year such as medicine before entering the advanced anesthesiology residency and you have to apply to both during the match so its possible to match the PGY1 without the PGY2+. It could also be students that failed to match and then SOAPed into a transitional year in hopes of matching an advanced next year as prelim and TY are seen as easier to soap into than advanced residencies.

Last edited:
I don't know of any schools that report that. Most schools only list the total number of students or percentage of students placed into residencies and some even say how many "matched" into residencies but that term is often misused since they usually mean matched + soaped.

If you look the match data for this year 89.1% of DO seniors matched (vs 92.8% of MDs) so that means you can expect around 10% of the class to not match and have to SOAP which may be higher or lower depending on the school but its really not something to be too concerned with IMO since its something even MD's have to deal with (albeit 7.2% vs 10.9%) and its something that you would never find out the data for as far as I know, and soap can still result in being placed into a residency which is the ultimate goal anyway.

Someone mentioned previously a high number of transitional year matches at CUSOM. This looks like it could be students applying to advanced residencies that failed to match the advanced residency but did match a TY and will have to reapply the next year. Some residencies for example anesthesiology require a PGY1 transitional year such as medicine before entering the advanced anesthesiology residency and you have to apply to both during the match so its possible to match the PGY1 without the PGY2+.
n=1 but when I was looking at WVSOMs match list they listed SOAP as a category (12 matches). But idk if every school does this or not

What 3rd party resources does CUSOM give access to such ad b&b/amboss/uworld etc?
We are only provided combank, and the class leadership organizes discounts for most if not all of the other supplementals.

Have you had a good experience so far? How do you like the area? Do you feel confident their clerkship rotations are good?
I am really glad I decided to attend cusom, I am from socal, so the area is pretty mundane. it helps keep me focused because there are few distractions. We’re really close to duke and unc so we have research and shadowing opportunities available though those programs in addition to what’s offered through CUSOM. There are 10 clerkship sites, and cusom has very high standards for training so I feel confident that I am going to be very well trained upon graduating. Typically we are more experienced and comfortable with patient history, PE, diagnosis and attending presentation then 3rd years from other programs because exposure starts week 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students that can comment on rotation sites? how do you feel about having to move after 2 years? what are the quality of the rotation sites?
Also too, do you have any concerns about matching once step 1 becomes pass/fail? Or do you feel the school provides you with opportunities and connections that you don’t have to worry about matching?

Current MS1. Happy to answer any questions or give interview tips. Will check back on Wednesday of this week to reply

Any current students that can comment on rotation sites? how do you feel about having to move after 2 years? what are the quality of the rotation sites?
Also too, do you have any concerns about matching once step 1 becomes pass/fail? Or do you feel the school provides you with opportunities and connections that you don’t have to worry about matching?
Hi, Im an MS-2, we have 10 different rotation sites available, and I am excited to move somewhere else. I live in Lillington now and it will be nice to live somewhere more urban again. The rotation site standards are maintained by CUSOM, so I feel that id they hold them to the same standard as us during didactics I will come out well prepared for residency. I think boards going pass fail is just going to make extracurriculars more important for residency applications. CUSOM offers a lot of different ways to be involved and volunteer, but how much you do is up to you. Many of the profs know faculty at Duke and UNC so it's very easy to make those connections if you earn that introduction. CUSOM does have a 100% match rate, so I don't think many students worry about matching because we are really well prepared at graduation.