2021-2022 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was probably one of my higher stress interviews
Higher stress how though? Logistics are clunky? Or Qs are difficult? Or interviewers are cold/unfriendly/contrary?

(Look at me all curious, and I don't even have an II here! LOL)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I did not find Duke particularly stressful. There was one station I found difficult as it was a scenario I'd never encountered before and would not expect to encounter in an MMI. All the interviewers were friendly and the whole thing ran smoothly. Of course interviewers vary so idk if that was a big stress factor for anyone else. All in all it was a good experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Duke was my first interview, so maybe that factors in, but I found it to be on the higher end of stress. Maybe I just don't mesh with the MMI format that well, but I found the stations pretty stressful, especially a few with raters I didn't like that much. Logistics were very smooth though! I just found the questions a little stressful, and some of the raters to be a bit cold. Grain of salt though, and I'm happy to hear many others had a better experience than me :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was high stress in that it's one of my top choices and it was an MMI. Almost all the interviews were very lovely and friendly, they just throw one person in there to purposely stress you out with dificult follow-up questions

Reactions: 8 users
II recently, portal says no available interview dates rn

Complete Late Sept

Mstp

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
II recently, portal says no available interview dates rn

Complete Late Sept

Mstp
Congrats!! Just keep checking that portal. It took about 5 days of checking for me to schedule, so don't fret!

Reactions: 2 users
Could we send post-interview updates? And who do we send them to? It does not allow me to upload any updates to my application as it has been more than a week since my interview happened, but I do have significant updates that has happened since my interview that I would like to notify the school about. Could we email them an update letter?

Could we send post-interview updates? And who do we send them to? It does not allow me to upload any updates to my application as it has been more than a week since my interview happened, but I do have significant updates that has happened since my interview that I would like to notify the school about. Could we email them an update letter?
After my interview, one of the deans said that thank-you's and updates are to be sent to the duke admissions email rather than uploaded to the portal

Is it safe to say that the post-interview acceptance rate at duke is ~50% based on this data?

Is it safe to say that the post-interview acceptance rate at duke is ~50% based on this data?

No. Their yield is on the high side, especially for IS. Their post-II acceptance rate is closer to 30% than 50%. I am pretty sure they are accepting fewer than 200 to get that 108.

I’m confused because past data says they accept 200-300 people:

I guess if College Learners says it, it must be true. :cool:

The last time I got into a back and forth like this, it involved NYU, and I ended up being right. For whatever reason, the schools don't want us to have this information, so they make it difficult to calculate.

Notice that Duke provides all sorts of charts in the linked page, but they hide the number accepted. The gotcha is that the published numbers from other sources include MD/PhD, which end up corrupting the yield numbers. MSAR has 8 out of 121 enrolled being MD/PhD, and says they interviewed 674, not 547. College Learners has 115 enrolled, and Duke itself shows 108 MD enrolled.

MD/PhD is always a lot smaller than MD only, a lot more competitive to get into, and the yields tend to be a lot lower, everywhere, because all of the top programs are chasing the same very small group of applicants. As a result, numbers get skewed. NYU's 65% MD only yield appeared to be closer to 50% before its 20% MSTP yield was stripped out.

I think it's the same thing here. Duke doesn't break out how many of the 250 or so are MD/PhD to yield its 8 enrollees, but, if its number is close to NYU's, it could easily be around 50, which would leave around 200 being accepted out of the 547 MD-only Duke interviewed to yield its 108 matriculants. No way to know for sure unless Duke publishes it.

At the end of the day, you can assume whatever works for you. I happen to think the number is closer to 35%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I guess if College Learners says it, it must be true. :cool:

The last time I got into a back and forth like this, it involved NYU, and I ended up being right. For whatever reason, the schools don't want us to have this information, so they make it difficult to calculate.

Notice that Duke provides all sorts of charts in the linked page, but they hide the number accepted. The gotcha is that the published numbers from other sources include MD/PhD, which end up corrupting the yield numbers. MSAR has 8 out of 121 enrolled being MD/PhD, and says they interviewed 674, not 547. College Learners has 115 enrolled, and Duke itself show 108 MD enrolled.

MD/PhD is always a lot smaller than MD only, a lot more competitive to get into, and the yields tend to be a lot lower, everywhere, because all of the top programs are chasing the same very small group of applicants. As a result, numbers get skewed. NYU's 65% MD only yield appeared to be closer to 50% before its 20% MSTP yield was stripped out.

I think it's the same thing here. Duke doesn't break out how many of the 250 or so are MD/PhD to yield its 8 enrollees, but, if its number is close to NYU's, it could easily be around 50, which would leave around 200 being accepted out of the 547 MD-only Duke interviewed to yield its 108 matriculants. No way to know for sure unless Duke publishes it.

At the end of the day, you can assume whatever works for you. I happen to think the number is closer to 35%.
Dunno his sources, but DataKing's spreadsheet has ~41%

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno his sources, but DataKing's spreadsheet has ~41%

I think it's US News. Again, this was the exact same discussion we has last year regarding NYU, with the exact same spreadsheet! The issue was, and surely is today, the inclusion of MD/PhD in the numbers, and the fact that MD/PhD yields are far lower than MD-only, which means it takes a disproportionate number of MD/PhD As to produce each matriculant, which means the 41% overstates the actual MD-only acceptance rate, by a lot (probably 5-10% in this case).

I think it's US News. Again, this was the exact same discussion we has last year regarding NYU, with the exact same spreadsheet! The issue was, and surely is today, the inclusion of MD/PhD in the numbers, and the fact that MD/PhD yields are far lower than MD-only, which means it takes a disproportionate number of MD/PhD As to produce each matriculant, which means the 41% overstates the actual MD-only acceptance rate, by a lot (probably 5-10% in this case).
Question, are you applying this cycle?

Just now receiving an II. Completed early August.
OOS/URM - MCAT <510.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
So are you saying that for most schools on that spreadsheet (with MD/PhD programs), the actual post-II acceptance rate is higher than reported. So like Stanford might be 40% in reality and not 33%?

So are you saying that for most schools on that spreadsheet (with MD/PhD programs), the actual post-II acceptance rate is higher than reported. So like Stanford might be 40% in reality and not 33%?
I mean for all intents and purposes, both those numbers are the same though lol

Actually, it's the opposite. If MD/PhDs have a lower yield (they almost always do), that means a disproportionate number of the As belong to MD/PhDs (lower yield means it takes more As to produce one matriculant) and the actual post-II As going to MD only is lower than reported.

It's not a huge difference at most schools, because most schools don't have super high MD only yields in the first place. NYU provided a stark contrast that was exposed because its dean was unusually transparent during information sessions. The spreadsheet showed 220 As for 103 enrolled, meaning a 50% yield and a 20% A rate. The reality, however, is that only around 135 As were issued for 92 MD only matriculants, with around 85 As being issued for 10 MD/PhDs.

That's an extreme example, but it shows how numbers can be skewed by including MD/PhD when their yield diverges significantly. Duke likely has the same thing going on, albeit to a lesser extent than NYU.

Stanford is probably a terrible example of this, because I'd imagine their MD/PhD yield is every bit as high as MD only. Same for Harvard, Penn, Hopkins, etc. After that, not so much.

II a couple days ago. Complete around late July.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Is there a tracker for this school where you can tell how many of the ~550 interviews have been given out?

Is there a tracker for this school where you can tell how many of the ~550 interviews have been given out?
Most schools are not that transparent. Duke does say that IIs will continue to go out until early January, and interviews will end in early February.

Based on that, it's safe to assume they spread IIs out evenly throughout their season, and that since they started in early September, they are probably around 2/3-3/4 done in the middle of November.

GOT AN II ! I am in shock rn and so grateful as this is one of my top schools. Complete 9/10.

• Love
Does anyone know if the traditional stations of the MMI are open or closed file? Thanks in advance!

II received today!
LM 76 URM
Complete 08/06

Edit: Scheduling early december

• Love
+1 II just now complete 8/2! Very surprised and excited

• Love
Does anyone know of any applicant that receive n interview invite in January and was acceted----

a this point it feels like I am already rejected being that their last interview date is scheduled for 1-21-22

Does anyone know of any applicant that receive n interview invite in January and was acceted----

a this point it feels like I am already rejected being that their last interview date is scheduled for 1-21-22
Pretty sure they are non-rolling so I don't think interview date matters

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, in the secondary portal you can upload documents.

Anyone know where you are supposed to upload your picture before the interview? I can't find a place on the secondary portal.

Anyone know where you are supposed to upload your picture before the interview? I can't find a place on the secondary portal.
When you log in to the secondary portal, there should be a prompt at the very top of the page in a banner. Good luck with your interview!

What’s the dress code for the Sunday night information meeting ?

Anyone else get an II but still haven't managed to schedule a date yet? Got my II on Wednesday, Nov. 17. At the time there were no time slots available and the email said to keep checking back, but I've been checking the portal twice a day since then and still the same message :/ Is this abnormal?

Anyone else get an II but still haven't managed to schedule a date yet? Got my II on Wednesday, Nov. 17. At the time there were no time slots available and the email said to keep checking back, but I've been checking the portal twice a day since then and still the same message :/ Is this abnormal?
Duke is the only school I have really seen that hasn't seemed to resolve this issue (as in they seem to be the only school that says "keep checking" instead of just notifying their interviewees of later dates). The delay for scheduling could also be due to thanksgiving, but I feel they should at least let you know a timeline of when dates will become available. I love Duke, but this seems inconsiderate of them and your time. I personally don't know what you should do, but I would follow your gut and say it is fair to email them at a certain point and explain the situation.

Has anyone received any interview invite lately ?

wondering this too. on their website it seems like they send the last ones out in December. my fingers are crossed
Oh no... I feel all the schools had an MSTP II hiatus for Thanksgiving, but they would be sending the last rounds soon. Good luck!

Duke is the only school I have really seen that hasn't seemed to resolve this issue (as in they seem to be the only school that says "keep checking" instead of just notifying their interviewees of later dates). The delay for scheduling could also be due to thanksgiving, but I feel they should at least let you know a timeline of when dates will become available. I love Duke, but this seems inconsiderate of them and your time. I personally don't know what you should do, but I would follow your gut and say it is fair to email them at a certain point and explain the situation.
Thanks for your response! Slots actually opened up on Tuesday for Dec. 13, so quite soon but still quite a frustrating system. For folks with later II's, just check back regularly! It took me about 2 weeks to schedule.

II tonight ~7pm PST!! What they doin over there at 10pm lmao. OOS URM 518/3.54. Complete 8/21.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
wait so you got an interview invite today on a Saturday ?
It was Friday night. I was just super surprised because all of my II’s have came early in the morning, especially since I’m over in CA w/the time difference