2021-2022 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10/6 interviewees, when do you think we’ll hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I just saw that all my items on the status page of the secondary for indiana are checked off. Does that mean I should expect an interview soon or I gotta wait longer? Anybody know?
probably gonna be a minute, but let us know if you get scheduled soon. When was the original invite?

Silly question. But everyone who applied to IU, have you guys all shadowed more than 3 doctors and did you guys get invites.

Silly question. But everyone who applied to IU, have you guys all shadowed more than 3 doctors and did you guys get invites.
I read online that they said it's not required to shadow 3 physicians but it is recommended

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed 2 physicians each for a good amount of time and got an invite, so it's not required but obviously more experience doesn't hurt.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if being recommended to apply to a scholarly concentration by the admissions committee (and being extended an interview) increases the chances to receive an acceptance after the interview, compared to a normal OOS applicant? I know the OOS acceptance rate is lower 40%.

I shadowed 1 doc, NOT primary care either. I think they're generous when it comes to physician shadowing.

II
Complete 10/15
OOS, no Ties.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they usually send out II throughout the week or is it usually one day

Do they usually send out II throughout the week or is it usually one day
no clue. forgot i even applied here lowkey, Maybe they'll send some tomorrow too, cause barely anyone posted about receiving an II today

OOS II, complete late September

I assigned 4 LORs instead of 3 on AMCAS. Is there any way to exclude one from consideration or will they choose one at random

Question for those of you who interviewed here. What happens during the check in? Why is it 45 min in advance of the interview.

Question for those of you who interviewed here. What happens during the check in? Why is it 45 min in advance of the interview.
They usually check-in a small group at once and it takes a bit for interviewees to be sent to the breakout room. It never takes the whole 45 minutes, but better to have some buffer time in my opinion.

It's been 9 weeks since my II and it still hasn't been scheduled. Has anybody in a similar boat reached out to admissions to inquire? The last time I asked was probably 2 weeks ago and they told me to be patient but I have reached out a few times over the past 9 weeks and I don't wanna seem neurotic and ask again lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I assigned 4 LORs instead of 3 on AMCAS. Is there any way to exclude one from consideration or will they choose one at random
I emailed them to ask about this because I did the same thing. They said they would choose 3 of them that best meet their requirements, and keep the additional one as part of your file as additional material.

I emailed them to ask about this because I did the same thing. They said they would choose 3 of them that best meet their requirements, and keep the additional one as part of your file as additional material.

That makes sense.
2 of mine are academic, 1 is clinical-paid, 1 is volunteer. I really hope they’re smart enough to choose the paid-clinical over the volunteer lol

After I interviewed the web interview tab on the portal had a checkmark on it and I believe it said complete. Now it is back to what it was before the interview. Anyone else have the same?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 5.31.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 5.31.47 PM.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 100
Those that interviewed, you guys just uploaded the thank you letter to the application portal, correct? And not to the interviewer's email as well.

Those that interviewed, you guys just uploaded the thank you letter to the application portal, correct? And not to the interviewer's email as well.
My interviewer gave me their email address and so I sent it directly to them. Looking back, I believe I probably should have uploaded it in the portal instead. The portal is the standard protocol I believe. Either which way, I'm not sure it really matters.

My interviewer gave me their email address and so I sent it directly to them. Looking back, I believe I probably should have uploaded it in the portal instead. The portal is the standard protocol I believe. Either which way, I'm not sure it really matters.
The interview day information email says
  • Thank You Notes are to be Uploaded to your applicant portal
So I guess I will not overthink it and just do that. I do not want to come off as annoying. Or that I cannot follow directions

The interview day information email says
  • Thank You Notes are to be Uploaded to your applicant portal
So I guess I will not overthink it and just do that. I do not want to come off as annoying. Or that I cannot follow directions
Yeah, I must have completely missed that. I would say the portal is definitely a solid (and safe) plan. Good luck my friend!

I uploaded a thank you letter to the portal, and then sent individual, personal thank you emails to my two interviewers. I don’t think it comes off as not following directions, because I did by uploading it to the portal, but I felt it to be nice to send my interviewers thanks. Hope this helps anyone!

For those who interviewed yesterday, 11/03, when do you think we’ll hear back? Dec 15th? No one really knows right, just gotta wait it out

Has anyone else received an notification several weeks ago about emailing them if you were interested in rural health but then heard nothing else back from them? Didn't email them since not interested in rural health in Indiana.........

For those who interviewed yesterday, 11/03, when do you think we’ll hear back? Dec 15th? No one really knows right, just gotta wait it out
Hello, another fellow 11/03 here. I have no idea. I was interviewing for the Urban Medicine Program so I have no idea if that would change things.

What was the format of the UMP interview like? Did you feel like it was stressful or more conversational?
I interviewed for the UMP recently so I am going to briefly share my experience because I haven’t seen anyone talk about this on here. One of my interviewers had an emergency so it was a one on one. It was definitely very conversational for me, didn’t really feel like an Interview which helped with the nerves. I do not know how it would've gone if it had been both interviewers maybe that would change. One thing I will say is I'm not sure but I believe this is strictly consideration for the UMP and not both UMP and regular. We really only talked about the Northwest Indiana campus which I would honestly love to train at. I will suggest for you to have good questions prepared and relax, I forgot to ask some of my important questions but the IUSM website is pretty thorough. Unfortunately the students on the panel did not have much information about the program. The UMP is very new and it sounds like a great program!

TLDR: It was one-on-one (my other Interviewer had an emergency) so it was very conversational!

Last edited:
What was the format of the UMP interview like? Did you feel like it was stressful or more conversational

I interviewed for the UMP recently so I am going to briefly share my experience because I haven’t seen anyone talk about this on here. I think it went pretty well, one of my interviewers had an emergency so it was a one on one. It was definitely very conversational for me, didn’t really feel like an Interview which helped with the nerves. I do not know how it would've gone if it had been both interviewers maybe that would change. One thing I will say is I'm not sure but I believe this is strictly consideration for the UMP and both UMP and regular. We really only talked about the Northwest Indiana campus which I would honestly love to train at. I will suggest for you to have good questions prepared and relax, I forgot to ask some of my important questions but the IUSM website is pretty thorough. Unfortunately the students on the panel did not have much information about the program. The UMP is very new and it sounds great though!

TLDR: It was one-on-one (my other Interviewer had an emergency) so it was very conversational!
I have the same opinion. It was very conversational and in a way kind of felt too conversational if that makes sense? I thought I would be able to explain more the reasons I want to serve underserved settings and things like that but we mainly talked about the school the area etc.

To the best of my knowledge, we are also still considered for the regular IU MD program if not granted admission in the UMP.

I have the same opinion. It was very conversational and in a way kind of felt too conversational if that makes sense? I thought I would be able to explain more the reasons I want to serve underserved settings and things like that but we mainly talked about the school the area etc.

To the best of my knowledge, we are also still considered for the regular IU MD program if not granted admission in the UMP.
Haha I definitely was trying not to get too comfortable as well it was definitely very relaxed! I agree I didn’t talk much about my reasons either but I was able to touch on it briefly. It’s great that they still consider us for regular admission though!

Haha I definitely was trying not to get too comfortable as well it was definitely very relaxed! I agree I didn’t talk much about my reasons either but I was able to touch on it briefly. It’s great that they still consider us for regular admission though!
What state are you from if you do not mind me asking?

Can you PM me?

I recently interviewed for the UMP too and I agree with all this. both of my interviewers were present for me but it still felt very conversational. I also agree that they didn't really ask about why I wanted to serve in the particular area but rather why I am a good fit for the program.

Should I upload an LOI to the portal or send it to the email?

Does the FAP apply to their graduate program website or is this an unavoidable cash grab?

Does the FAP apply to their graduate program website or is this an unavoidable cash grab?
it doesn't apply. I still had to pay $70 through their graduate website when I got the interview invite. I have FAP through AMCAS, so it was a little surprising since all other schools had waived their fees except Indiana.

"Your application is now under consideration and ready to go before the Admissions Committee."

I interviewed 11/3.

I got an II last week and just got a notification that my application was withdrawn from consideration. Is this an R? I’m kind of annoyed that they would invite me to interview and have me pay the graduate school fee just to reject me before the interview…

Did you not send in the required documents in time?

You have 7 days to send the Signed virtual agreement. If you didn’t do that, they will rescind. It sounds like you received the secondary, paid the fee, but didnt read the initial email and forgot to send the attached agreement.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 125
Last edited: