2021-2022 Maryland

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm OOS but have close family in Maryland and have spent extended time there over the summers in the past. Does that count as "ties" to the institution? Just deciding whether applying is worth it or not!
 
Hi! I'm OOS but have close family in Maryland and have spent extended time there over the summers in the past. Does that count as "ties" to the institution? Just deciding whether applying is worth it or not!
The way I see it that's ties to the state but not ties to the institution. I lived there up until I was 18 and attended UMD-College Park but had no ties to the UMSOM institution itself. If I'm wrong that sucks lol.
 
The way I see it that's ties to the state but not ties to the institution. I lived there up until I was 18 and attended UMD-College Park but had no ties to the UMSOM institution itself. If I'm wrong that sucks lol.
Dang yeah that makes sense, I guess I'll talk about my family because that's a reason why I'd want to attend the school, as a reason why I'm interested in the school!
That's cool, pretty much my cousins went there! It would be weird to go to med school there but now I'm not super confident with looking at their OOS stats haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone had an interview yet? Would you be willing to share how that went for you? Looking forward to my interview next week 🙂
 
Good luck everyone on your interview! Would anyone who already had their interview or current students like to share some insights about the interview experience?
 
Received an II this morning! IS & complete 9/14 🙂
Congratulations! MD is my state school and I am writing secondary now. Targetting to submit by 08-Oct. After you are done with interview, would you please give me some inputs about your interview experience?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! MD is my state school and I am writing secondary now. Targetting to submit by 08-Oct. After you are done with interview, would you please give me some inputs about your interview experience?
I definitely can! All of the October & November dates were filled so I'm interviewing in December but I will let you know 🙂
 
Does the U of Maryland consider a relatively recent arrival - say within 1 or 2 years of applying - to be in state?

I read that the MSAR shows a 521 avg MCAT for U of Maryland matriculants. Is that correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are your ties to MD? How did you establish your IS status?
I was born and lived in MD all my life except for college and my permanent address is in MD. Registrar office said they've been getting a lot of reclassification requests from students accepted to the med school.
 
I was born and lived in MD all my life except for college and my permanent address is in MD. Registrar office said they've been getting a lot of reclassification requests from students accepted to the med school.

So applicants have been getting admitted as in state applicants, then the registrar classifies them as out of state for purposes of tuition and so they ask to be reclassified? Did I get that right?

Did you have to ask to be reclassified?