2021-2022 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any MD/Phd applicants hear back yet?
Nope, still waiting. But the first round of interviews is Nov 8 & 9 so I'm getting worried. They will prob send out the first round of invites soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Literally pass by this school every day on the way to work and it’s my top choice. Tempted to stand outside the building with a boom box over my head and play love songs. Maybe that will get their attention and they'll give me an interview

Reactions: 4 users
Does the U of Maryland consider a relatively recent arrival - say within 1 or 2 years of applying - to be in state?

I read that the MSAR shows a 521 avg MCAT for U of Maryland matriculants. Is that correct?
They have a long checklist of everything you need to be considered “in state”. Just Google “UMD SOM in state requirements”.

I’m from Maryland and have lived there my entire life except for last year when I moved for grad school. They rejected my request to be considered “in state” because I filed taxes in a state other than Maryland last year 🥴

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When do people think they'll send out the next set of decisions?

Last year they sent out the first batch on Oct 16th (Friday) and then it looks like from last year's thread they would send them out on Tuesdays going forward.
Haven't seen posts this week about being accepted so not sure what the pattern will likely be yet.

They have a long checklist of everything you need to be considered “in state”. Just Google “UMD SOM in state requirements”.

I’m from Maryland and have lived there my entire life except for last year when I moved for grad school. They rejected my request to be considered “in state” because I filed taxes in a state other than Maryland last year 🥴

Thanks. That's helpful.

Did U of Maryland treat you as in state for evaluating your application and giving you an in state preference? (I understand you had to pay out of state tuition once accepted.)

Thanks. That's helpful.

Did U of Maryland treat you as in state for evaluating your application and giving you an in state preference? (I understand you had to pay out of state tuition once accepted.)
I have no clue because I applied this current cycle and am still waiting to hear back

The application for in state status was a separate app and had a one week turn around time

I have no clue because I applied this current cycle and am still waiting to hear back

The application for in state status was a separate app and had a one week turn around time
Thanks! You’ve been so helpful.

What did the application for in state status ask for?

When I filled it out basically driver's license info, car ownership, whether you're a dependent or not, etc....doesn't take too long or require much info
Yep, it’s really short. I got rejected because I admitted that last year I filed taxes outside of MD

Has anyone had issues creating an account for in-state classification? Everytime I do, it says my ID was created and I receive an email. Then when I got to log in, it says my email is not in the system. Have been trying for days now across browsers ect. and no luck

For those of you that have already interviewed, how long was each interview?
30 minutes each. I had 2 with faculty instead of 1 being with a student. According to current M1s and M2s we spoke to it was likely because at that point in the cycle they hadn't trained students to give interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is doing well. This is my IS school and one of my top choices. Verified in mid/late July, but haven't heard anything yet and am getting concerned. Would love to know if other people are in this boat, and when we would say it's late in the cycle for UMSOM.
Stats: LizzyM 77

Hope everyone is doing well. This is my IS school and one of my top choices. Verified in mid/late July, but haven't heard anything yet and am getting concerned. Would love to know if other people are in this boat, and when we would say it's late in the cycle for UMSOM.
Did you file the in state residency form to secure IS status?

Same here, IS, complete late July, top top top choice...does your portal say "application complete" or did it change to "under review"? This thread has been pretty quiet compared to previous years too

Did you complete the in state residency form?

yep, a few weeks ago...but they state filling out the residency form will not affect your application status, and they base your residency status on your AMCAS application for admissions

I would imagine the form matters for residency determinations. Why else make applicants submit it at the front end?

It is curious, I filled it out just in case, but when I tried in July and August the latest term available was Summer 2022, that's why I didn't submit it earlier
*to add, I even called the office of the registrar or whatever it was and they told me I could just wait until I was confirmed to attend
Maryland gives a huge preference to instate residents.

So applicants have been getting admitted as in state applicants, then the registrar classifies them as out of state for purposes of tuition and so they ask to be reclassified? Did I get that right?

Did you have to ask to be reclassified?
I think I was admitted as OOS but I'm not certain. The classification was based on the current address field in AMCAS, which I filled out while living in another state for school. There is a reclassification form easily accessible in my applicant account that I filled out.

same here, not sure if it will eventually change to under review or not, like some of my other portals. Can anyone who's already received decisions shed some light?
My portal doesn't say under review. Just application complete and mentions that my interview is scheduled even though I've already had it. Even called the office just to make sure the interview status displayed wasn't some sort of technical error.

Just got the A at around 3:40 pm interviewed 10/11

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
same, same, same, and same

Reactions: 2 users
To those who have been accepted: are the "administrative tasks to be completed" under the "important updates" tab after clicking on "admissions decision" directed to the class of 2025 for you all as well or is this just me? The first task is to log in to your SOM email but I don't have one yet. I'm wondering if this page will update for 2026 later or if I should contact someone now.

Got the acceptance on 10/26 around 3 pm today! So exciting!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
To those who have been accepted: are the "administrative tasks to be completed" under the "important updates" tab after clicking on "admissions decision" directed to the class of 2025 for you all as well or is this just me? The first task is to log in to your SOM email but I don't have one yet. I'm wondering if this page will update for 2026 later or if I should contact someone now.
Yeah, it shows the class of 2025 for me as well. I don't think it's a major issue, but probably wouldn't hurt to call and clarify!

This is just my speculation as to why there is an apparent lull on this thread when you compare it to previous cycles- but I think adcoms probably all over the country are having a tough time evaluating applicants who probably were not able to have the traditional experiences (shadowing, scribing, clinical volunteering, other experiences) due to the pandemic. I imagine that the context requires a bit of redesigning admission criteria to build a class. Stay strong to my fellow peeps waiting it out.

I was accepted here as OOS. I heard I can apply for Maryland residency after a year living there. If someone has information/experience about getting in-state status please please share:)
Accepted today?

yesterday!
oh interesting, the previous people who posted that they were accepted got them on Tuesdays after October 15th (like last year) but you got yours on a Wednesday so I guess that means the rest of us waiting could hear any day of the week theoretically.

Received II! Earliest date open was mid-December

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
R pre II. 2.2 uGPA / 4.0 SMP / 519 / IS / Top choice
Not surprising, but not pleasant.
Hoping that my quitting my salaried job with benefits to do a $40k master's and now scribe for $11/ hour will pay off one day. Otherwise, I will feel very foolish.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just received a pre-II rejection from UMSOM and I'm IS with 3.68 and 517. My EC's are average but I at least thought I would be good for an II. Feels terrible :/
Considering their some 35% ish IS interview rate, this is surprising. It's hard to imagine your stats put in you the bottom 2/3.

Considering their some 35% ish IS interview rate, this is surprising. It's hard to imagine your stats put in you the bottom 2/3.
I know I'm really confused and wondering what is dragging my application down. My PS was said to be good by folks who reviewed it, some of who worked in adcoms. Wondering if I have a mediocre LOR or if my secondary writing was terrible...

looks like this is the week a lot of this school's IIs vs Pre-II Rs will be coming out. Good luck everyone.

How long does it take to hear back? Interviewed 10/27 just trying to get an idea.

I was complete 7/29. I think it was due to my nonexistent research (only 100 hours as RA) for a school that focuses heavily on research.
oof well if that was the reason they gave you an R, then they just have not gotten around to sending me my R! Do not lose hope though, the right school will send you a II !!!