You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Massachusetts
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Stats?In state, interviewed 11/17, got the AC email at the beginning of December ☺️
514, cGPA 3.60, sGPA like 3.55 (I forget exactly)Stats?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol yep, in the same boatAny other high stats in state applicants frustrated that they can’t even get into their state school (post interview)???
Typical Massachusetts
D
deleted965595
Why is this typical Mass? Do they routinely keep high stats applicants waiting?Any other high stats in state applicants frustrated that they can’t even get into their state school (post interview)???
Typical Massachusetts
The state in general. MA: Pay 8% state income tax. Texas: pay 0% state income tax. MA: 1 public med school per 7 million people. Texas: 13 public med schools per 29 million. MA should have at least 3 state medical schools.Why is this typical Mass? Do they routinely keep high stats applicants waiting?
Totally agree with you on 3 state med schools. UMASS Baystate in Springfield and UMASS Lahey Clinic- I could see that right there. Granted that would require ownership agreements and a lot of funding. Who knows 50 years from now though!The state in general. MA: Pay 8% state income tax. Texas: pay 0% state income tax. MA: 1 public med school per 7 million people. Texas: 13 public med schools per 29 million. MA should have at least 3 state medical schools.
grandslamthankyoumaam
New Member
Got the A this morning! Interviewed 10/6.
What about Boston? Is the problem that all of the hospitals are already taken?Totally agree with you on 3 state med schools. UMASS Baystate in Springfield and UMASS Lahey Clinic- I could see that right there. Granted that would require ownership agreements and a lot of funding. Who knows 50 years from now though!
That's sorta it. HMS has MGB, BID, and BCH. Tufts has Tufts, Lahey, Wellforce/Hallmark, Maine medical, and most of Steward system. BU has BMC, Central Maine, and St. E's. UMASS has all of UMASS Health, St. V's, Baystate, and a half dozen other hospitals. Now, could each school give up a hospital or two to allow for the formation of a new medical school or two? Sure, but unlikely. More reasonably they do what NYC does and overlap hospital affiliations with multiple schools. TBH this topic may be better off as a separate thread in the general forum. But in a world where med schools and residency spots are limited, this is a good discussion.What about Boston? Is the problem that all of the hospitals are already taken?
That’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.The state in general. MA: Pay 8% state income tax. Texas: pay 0% state income tax. MA: 1 public med school per 7 million people. Texas: 13 public med schools per 29 million. MA should have at least 3 state medical schools.
Stony brook, Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate?That’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.
New Yorkers actually have it almost as bad considering the population/school ratio is somewhat similar, but I just read about class sizes for MA and NY state schools.
Umass students: 150
Downstate: 200
Upstate: 175
Buffalo: 180
Stony brook: 135
I don’t know if stony brook is public like the undergraduate institution however
I Understand why MA doesn’t need a new medical school, but it is tough for MA residents admissions wise, since BU, tufts, Harvard don’t really seem to prefer MA residents (if so it’s very slight)
Last edited:
They are? That's awesome! Kudos for them considering the challenges associated with adding seats for most schoolsThat’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.
D
deleted965595
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? URM/ORM? IS/OOS?Got the A this morning! Interviewed 10/6.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
YupAny other high stats in state applicants frustrated that they can’t even get into their state school (post interview)???
Typical Massachusetts
Yes!Did anyone not go to the Q&A and STILL got an A? lol
grandslamthankyoumaam
New Member
GPA is 3.78, MCAT is 514, ORM and ISCongrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? URM/ORM? IS/OOS?
Yup! They don’t track Q&A attendance. I didn’t go to the Q&A, nor did I send any sort of update letter between AC email and acceptance in case anyone’s wondering about that. Time between AC and A was just under 2 months.Did anyone not go to the Q&A and STILL got an A? lol
I’m planning on going to a Q&A now that I’m in though just because it might be informative!
Are they increasing class size this cycle or a future one? And is this for IS applicants, OOS applicants, or both?That’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.
Last edited:
Yes, IS accepted in October.Is there anybody 520+ who has been accepted at UMass this year? From looking at the As, there appear to be no one with (relatively) high stats that's been accepted (or has reported an A here). Is this a pattern?
sourcepeel
Full Member
Probably not completely necessary. It is a good chance to ask questions to current med students and about the new curriculum. But there will be other opportunities like second look day (virtual or otherwise). It's also quite informal so you don't need to have your camera or audio on if you need to be elsewhere and just want to listen in.How important is it to go to the Q and A as an accepted student? Will I get the information elsewhere if I dont go?
mcdreamysteamy
Full Member
IS with AC this morning
GoldenBear22
Full Member
When did you interview?IS with AC this morning
mcdreamysteamy
Full Member
Jan 12th (MD) and 18th (PURCH)When did you interview?
mdsuperhopeful
Full Member
I interviewed 1/5 and still haven’t received anything - not even the AC email most people seem to be getting a few weeks post-interview. Wondering what this could mean, if anything? Any insight? Very nervous
siloaddict
Full Member
i think it really means nothing. it just means that they haven't gotten to ur application lolI interviewed 1/5 and still haven’t received anything - not even the AC email most people seem to be getting a few weeks post-interview. Wondering what this could mean, if anything? Any insight? Very nervous
mcdreamysteamy
Full Member
The AC email is so useless. I think it is automatic (not sure what triggers it) because I know they don't get to apps until Friday but I got it today. I don't think it's bad if you haven't gotten it because it literally does not mean anything. stay hopeful!I interviewed 1/5 and still haven’t received anything - not even the AC email most people seem to be getting a few weeks post-interview. Wondering what this could mean, if anything? Any insight? Very nervous
mdsuperhopeful
Full Member
Gotcha, thank you!! Good luck 🙂The AC email is so useless. I think it is automatic (not sure what triggers it) because I know they don't get to apps until Friday but I got it today. I don't think it's bad if you haven't gotten it because it literally does not mean anything. stay hopeful!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lostintheprocess
Full Member
Good luck today everyone!
Have there been and MD/PhD plus PURCH acceptances yet reported? If not, here’s one
Accepted this morning to both MD/PhD and PURCH! Am not an epidemiology guy, am a cancer therapeutics guy. So PURCH is really available to anyone who demonstrates interest in Rural and/or Urban underserved!
Interviews all across November and early December. Initially had the “Active consideration” email like 3 weeks ago or something.
Accepted this morning to both MD/PhD and PURCH! Am not an epidemiology guy, am a cancer therapeutics guy. So PURCH is really available to anyone who demonstrates interest in Rural and/or Urban underserved!
Interviews all across November and early December. Initially had the “Active consideration” email like 3 weeks ago or something.
Congrats! im Away from my computer will check soon I interviewed regular md much later though.Have there been and MD/PhD plus PURCH acceptances yet reported? If not, here’s one
Accepted this morning to both MD/PhD and PURCH! Am not an epidemiology guy, am a cancer therapeutics guy. So PURCH is really available to anyone who demonstrates interest in Rural and/or Urban underserved!
Interviews all across November and early December. Initially had the “Active consideration” email like 3 weeks ago or something.
yup no update lol
Last edited:
IS A just now!! Interviewed 1/12!!!!!!!!!! First MD A!!!!!
mcdreamysteamy
Full Member
Congrats! Do you mind if I ask your stats? In a similar situationIS A just now!! Interviewed 1/12!!!!!!!!!! First MD A!!!!!
Yeah I'm actually kinda low stats; low 510s MCAT, 3.6x GPA but also masters degree with 3.9x GPA. Good luck!Congrats! Do you mind if I ask your stats? In a similar situation
siloaddict
Full Member
CONGRATS thats a killer turn around time!IS A just now!! Interviewed 1/12!!!!!!!!!! First MD A!!!!!
Yeah, it seems like they give the A either fast, or hold off a long time. Not much middle ground.
Anyone have any ideas how many As have been given out? Group me has like 40ish members
Anyone have any ideas how many As have been given out? Group me has like 40ish members
futuredrcristinayang
Full Member
anyone from 12/21 interview date heard anything? confused cuz i havent heard anything since AC early jan starting to think they lost my app or something lol
Based on this thread they haven’t sent post II rejections or waitlists so presumably everybody who hasn’t gotten in, hasn’t heard backanyone from 12/21 interview date heard anything? confused cuz i havent heard anything since AC early jan starting to think they lost my app or something lol
FB group has 198 members with ~11-12 current students as adminsYeah, it seems like they give the A either fast, or hold off a long time. Not much middle ground.
Anyone have any ideas how many As have been given out? Group me has like 40ish members
amaryllis95
New Member
Haven't heard from 11/17 interview. 520 MCAT, IS, top undergrad 3.7...anyone else in similar boat?
Edit: went AC on 12/2
Edit: went AC on 12/2
Similar-ish. Interviewed 12/15. AC 12/4. 516 MCAT, 3.7x, OOS.Haven't heard from 11/17 interview. 520 MCAT, IS, top undergrad 3.7...anyone else in similar boat?
Edit: went AC on 12/2
Do I would guess ~300ish? Unless I’m underestimating the percentage who joinFB group has 198 members with ~11-12 current students as admins
Barring WL acceptances, 291 acceptances have been offered last year outright
Maybe most acceptances have been given out then, with WLs remaining?
Maybe most acceptances have been given out then, with WLs remaining?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oos but yes 3.99/521, HypsmHaven't heard from 11/17 interview. 520 MCAT, IS, top undergrad 3.7...anyone else in similar boat?
Edit: went AC on 12/2
Granted I haven’t had a great conversion rate
amaryllis95
New Member
Nice to know (even though I already surmised) that I'm not totally alone. Hang in there.Similar-ish. Interviewed 12/15. AC 12/4. 516 MCAT, 3.7x, OOS.
I think someone posted this question but I can’t find it anymore. But about when are the last As sent out?
Figured it's a WL at this point.Nice to know (even though I already surmised) that I'm not totally alone. Hang in there.
Where the link doe?FB group has 198 members with ~11-12 current students as admins