2021-2022 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other high stats in state applicants frustrated that they can’t even get into their state school (post interview)???

Typical Massachusetts

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Any other high stats in state applicants frustrated that they can’t even get into their state school (post interview)???

Typical Massachusetts
Why is this typical Mass? Do they routinely keep high stats applicants waiting?

Reactions: 1 user
Why is this typical Mass? Do they routinely keep high stats applicants waiting?
The state in general. MA: Pay 8% state income tax. Texas: pay 0% state income tax. MA: 1 public med school per 7 million people. Texas: 13 public med schools per 29 million. MA should have at least 3 state medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The state in general. MA: Pay 8% state income tax. Texas: pay 0% state income tax. MA: 1 public med school per 7 million people. Texas: 13 public med schools per 29 million. MA should have at least 3 state medical schools.
Totally agree with you on 3 state med schools. UMASS Baystate in Springfield and UMASS Lahey Clinic- I could see that right there. Granted that would require ownership agreements and a lot of funding. Who knows 50 years from now though!

Totally agree with you on 3 state med schools. UMASS Baystate in Springfield and UMASS Lahey Clinic- I could see that right there. Granted that would require ownership agreements and a lot of funding. Who knows 50 years from now though!
What about Boston? Is the problem that all of the hospitals are already taken?

What about Boston? Is the problem that all of the hospitals are already taken?
That's sorta it. HMS has MGB, BID, and BCH. Tufts has Tufts, Lahey, Wellforce/Hallmark, Maine medical, and most of Steward system. BU has BMC, Central Maine, and St. E's. UMASS has all of UMASS Health, St. V's, Baystate, and a half dozen other hospitals. Now, could each school give up a hospital or two to allow for the formation of a new medical school or two? Sure, but unlikely. More reasonably they do what NYC does and overlap hospital affiliations with multiple schools. TBH this topic may be better off as a separate thread in the general forum. But in a world where med schools and residency spots are limited, this is a good discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.

That’s because MA has Harvard, Tufts, and BU, and doesn’t need another med school (though UMass is planning to increase its class size again). Look at NY—2 state schools, because there are plenty of private schools in the state.
Stony brook, Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate?

New Yorkers actually have it almost as bad considering the population/school ratio is somewhat similar, but I just read about class sizes for MA and NY state schools.

Umass students: 150
Downstate: 200
Upstate: 175
Buffalo: 180
Stony brook: 135

I don’t know if stony brook is public like the undergraduate institution however

I Understand why MA doesn’t need a new medical school, but it is tough for MA residents admissions wise, since BU, tufts, Harvard don’t really seem to prefer MA residents (if so it’s very slight)

Last edited:
They are? That's awesome! Kudos for them considering the challenges associated with adding seats for most schools

Did anyone not go to the Q&A and STILL got an A? lol
Yup! They don’t track Q&A attendance. I didn’t go to the Q&A, nor did I send any sort of update letter between AC email and acceptance in case anyone’s wondering about that. Time between AC and A was just under 2 months.

I’m planning on going to a Q&A now that I’m in though just because it might be informative!

Are they increasing class size this cycle or a future one? And is this for IS applicants, OOS applicants, or both?

Last edited:
How important is it to go to the Q and A as an accepted student? Will I get the information elsewhere if I dont go?

Is there anybody 520+ who has been accepted at UMass this year? From looking at the As, there appear to be no one with (relatively) high stats that's been accepted (or has reported an A here). Is this a pattern?
Yes, IS accepted in October.

How important is it to go to the Q and A as an accepted student? Will I get the information elsewhere if I dont go?
Probably not completely necessary. It is a good chance to ask questions to current med students and about the new curriculum. But there will be other opportunities like second look day (virtual or otherwise). It's also quite informal so you don't need to have your camera or audio on if you need to be elsewhere and just want to listen in.

I interviewed 1/5 and still haven’t received anything - not even the AC email most people seem to be getting a few weeks post-interview. Wondering what this could mean, if anything? Any insight? Very nervous

I interviewed 1/5 and still haven’t received anything - not even the AC email most people seem to be getting a few weeks post-interview. Wondering what this could mean, if anything? Any insight? Very nervous
i think it really means nothing. it just means that they haven't gotten to ur application lol

The AC email is so useless. I think it is automatic (not sure what triggers it) because I know they don't get to apps until Friday but I got it today. I don't think it's bad if you haven't gotten it because it literally does not mean anything. stay hopeful!

The AC email is so useless. I think it is automatic (not sure what triggers it) because I know they don't get to apps until Friday but I got it today. I don't think it's bad if you haven't gotten it because it literally does not mean anything. stay hopeful!
Gotcha, thank you!! Good luck :)

Have there been and MD/PhD plus PURCH acceptances yet reported? If not, here’s one

Accepted this morning to both MD/PhD and PURCH! Am not an epidemiology guy, am a cancer therapeutics guy. So PURCH is really available to anyone who demonstrates interest in Rural and/or Urban underserved!

Interviews all across November and early December. Initially had the “Active consideration” email like 3 weeks ago or something.

Reactions: 3 users
Have there been and MD/PhD plus PURCH acceptances yet reported? If not, here’s one

Accepted this morning to both MD/PhD and PURCH! Am not an epidemiology guy, am a cancer therapeutics guy. So PURCH is really available to anyone who demonstrates interest in Rural and/or Urban underserved!

Interviews all across November and early December. Initially had the “Active consideration” email like 3 weeks ago or something.
Congrats! im Away from my computer will check soon I interviewed regular md much later though.

yup no update lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
IS A just now!! Interviewed 1/12!!!!!!!!!! First MD A!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, it seems like they give the A either fast, or hold off a long time. Not much middle ground.

Anyone have any ideas how many As have been given out? Group me has like 40ish members

anyone from 12/21 interview date heard anything? confused cuz i havent heard anything since AC early jan starting to think they lost my app or something lol

anyone from 12/21 interview date heard anything? confused cuz i havent heard anything since AC early jan starting to think they lost my app or something lol
Based on this thread they haven’t sent post II rejections or waitlists so presumably everybody who hasn’t gotten in, hasn’t heard back

Yeah, it seems like they give the A either fast, or hold off a long time. Not much middle ground.

Anyone have any ideas how many As have been given out? Group me has like 40ish members
FB group has 198 members with ~11-12 current students as admins

Haven't heard from 11/17 interview. 520 MCAT, IS, top undergrad 3.7...anyone else in similar boat?
Edit: went AC on 12/2

Barring WL acceptances, 291 acceptances have been offered last year outright

Maybe most acceptances have been given out then, with WLs remaining?

I think someone posted this question but I can’t find it anymore. But about when are the last As sent out?