2021-2022 Massachusetts

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Also some people just join later on. Ex. I haven’t joined any the schools that I got into but I might create/reactivate my account to join eventually
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MSAR reports a good amount of WL movement. Haven't heard anything since Dec 15th interview. Hoping it doesn't mean Post-II R
 
interviewed 2/15 and waitlisted today, I accepted my offer on the waitlist, but my portal is showing "decline after waitlisted". Did I mess up and hit the wrong thing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UMass reports they usually WL ~150 people and accept ~100 off the WL. This seems pretty high right? Anyone know if these stats are true
 
I think it is correct based on the data. UMass accepts approximately 400/800 interviewed students if you look up post-II acceptance. A lot of these are probably off of the waitlist. It seems like they accept 200-300 and then take off the waitlist.
 
Just got the pre-ii R. OOS but with very strong ties to the state (have lived here many years). Very sad about this one, I got an interview here last cycle and got WLd, felt like I made meaningful improvements to myself and my application so this was pretty heart breaking from one of my favorite schools. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back! Hopefully its not too much longer
 
1646860408661.png
 
This is just my anecdotal experience but I was waitlisted at UMass last year and there was essentially no WL movement at all (very few people posted that they got accepted off the WL on last year's thread, I think <5?). I sent in a letter of intent and another update letter post-WL and nothing. Definitely didn't feel like it matched up with the reported numbers on MSAR, though take that with a grain of salt cause of course there is self-selected bias on SDN. I kept holding out because of the turn-over "stats" but ended up just being disappointed when that didn't play out. It could have been COVID and over-enrollment last year so not to say that it would be the same scenario this year -- don't give up hope!
 
Just got the post-II R. Interviewed in August and AC in October. UMass alum and I am devastated. Kind of suspected it and I am fortunate to have an A elsewhere but UMass was far and away my first choice.

Good luck to everyone remaining. Hope we all end up where we are meant to be.

Edit to add that I am IS
just as I read your post I got the email as well🙁 was also August interviewee and AC in October, and IS
guess it was meant to be for me to leave the nest, good luck everyone else!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I wanted to send a new LOR as an update, should I just have the writer email it to admissions? Or is there a better way to do this?
From the secondary portal: "Please note that additional letters of recommendation should be sent directly to us via email or mail from your recommender after our application deadline has past." -- Yup looks like email is the best way to do this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could anyone share if UMass gives any scholarships (not just financial aid)? Looking at applying this cycle but OOS (yes, I know they can only admit up to 25% OOS) - does that mean that even if there are scholarships to be given they would not go to OOS at all? thx
 
Could anyone share if UMass gives any scholarships (not just financial aid)? Looking at applying this cycle but OOS (yes, I know they can only admit up to 25% OOS) - does that mean that even if there are scholarships to be given they would not go to OOS at all? thx
Can confirm, I got a very generous scholarship about a month ago (which was nice for an OOSer like me haha), and I think they're being more generous than usual this cycle with scholarships because of the big donation they got last September