2021-2022 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the A by email! OOS, Interviewed 10/19
Congrats! That's so cool!!
What are your stats? Yours is a really quick turnaround!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
21st! They said in our interview we could hear anywhere from November-Jan just depending on when our app reaches the committee
What does app reaching committee mean? Your MMI interviewers present your app as a group to the committee, and then they vote on it in the same meeting? Like, what is the process after the MMI, do you know?

I have heard that many schools with IS biases have a certain “quota” of OOS students to admit, so my guess is they are trying to fill those slots early before moving on to IS…but what do I know lol
Going off this... I looked at last years thread and from 10/15 to 12/1 there was 8 OOS A's and only 1 IS A. However after 12/1 the IS A's started rolling out. Hopefully this is the case this year!

What does app reaching committee mean? Your MMI interviewers present your app as a group to the committee, and then they vote on it in the same meeting? Like, what is the process after the MMI, do you know?
Honestly not 100% sure. They were pretty vague. I believe they process your app and just gather all your components (1,2 and MMI) then they present your full app to the committee and then you are voted on. Not sure what entails in the “processing” part for your app to be seen 😬

Reactions: 1 user
This is good to know. Thank you!
Would you be able to tell us about your experience at UMass so far? There are no reviews available online, so any inside perspective would be good. How does being in a State School compare to other private schools your friends might be at? Teaching, administration, facilities, life in worcester…any thoughts would be appreciated!
I know it can be a challenge to get a good insight about the medical school without talking to its students. I would suggest reaching out to current students via email, FB, or Instagram. If you can get someone to talk to you over the phone and answer your questions directly that would be the best. At least, that was what I did while I was applying. Reach out to as many students as you can because there are a lot of different experiences.

In my perspective, I think being in a state school makes a huge difference when it comes to the cost if you are in-state. State schools (in my opinion) care more about the community that they are located in. I would say that is very true for UMass. You will have a chance to volunteer at free clinics in the area, see patients at local community health centers, and have a direct role in public health initiatives (like flu/covid vaccines). When I was applying, one of the UMass Med graduates had told me that UMass provides you with really good clinical skills. I can now attest to that statement. Life in Worcester is actually pretty good. It is not New York or Boston, but you are close to both of them. It is cheaper to live in. The food scene is pretty good. You need a car. Nature is pretty incredible. As someone who came to Worcester from a bigger city, I am pretty happy living here. Medical school teaching is a very strange thing. For one single course, you may have 30-40 different instructors. So it is hard to make general comments. I never had much interaction with the admin, so no comment on that. I would say most people here are happy to be here. I think the biggest contribution to that is the classmates we have. At least for me they are the best part of UMass.

In the meantime, you should check out the following links:
Interviews with current and past students: Meet our Students
Facebook page for recent updates: Log into Facebook
Youtube page (for all the recent events and news): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitIacBATw-4U8Uoheh8LLA
Student-run optional enrichment electives: Optional Enrichment Electives (OEE)
Learning communities (think of it like 4 houses in Harry Potter): Learning Communities - UMass Medical School - Worcester
Pathways and research: UMMS OUME Student Research Opportunities

Reactions: 1 users
II today! IS, went to UMass for undergrad, complete late August. Scheduled for next week so I'll be catching up on reading this thread haha

I submitted a primary for this school but not the secondary, and got a message from the school today reminding me that I didn't submit the secondary. I have only have gotten 3 interview invites this cycle with no acceptances so far, so I am getting pretty nervous. If I submit the secondary for UMass this week, is there any chance it will even get looked at?

I submitted a primary for this school but not the secondary, and got a message from the school today reminding me that I didn't submit the secondary. I have only have gotten 3 interview invites this cycle with no acceptances so far, so I am getting pretty nervous. If I submit the secondary for UMass this week, is there any chance it will even get looked at?
yes

You're being too hard on yourself. Three IIs at this point is by no means bad. It's early November. Plus three IIs is right at about the 50th percentile of applicants that matriculate. You're fine, relax.

But get that secondary in you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was accepted (to the MSTP)!!!!!!! It is my first acceptance of the cycle and I am extremely ecstatic about the hard work during the past 3-4 years finally paying off! I accepted the offer in the portal as soon as possible but just wanted to ask, was this binding? I’m still waiting to interview at other programs or hear back from others so I just want to make sure I didn’t actually commit.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that accepted the admissions offer, just confirming there is no deposit, right?

Yesterday I was accepted (to the MSTP)!!!!!!! It is my first acceptance of the cycle and I am extremely ecstatic about the hard work during the past 3-4 years finally paying off! I accepted the offer in the portal as soon as possible but just wanted to ask, was this binding? I’m still waiting to interview at other programs or hear back from others so I just want to make sure I didn’t actually commit.
As I understand it, it's not binding at all. I think the AMCAS Plan to Enroll/Commit to Enroll tool is what's more binding.

What exactly does active consideration mean? Did the admissions committee review the app again post-interview and think, "Interesting, but not willing to decide just yet"? And you remain in active consideration, meaning everytime the adcom meets they will look at your file again to see how you compare with everyone else they've seen, including any new ones? And at some point they decide, OK, you're interesting enough - so here's the A/sorry you're not interesting enough, so here's the W/R? Is this how AC works?

Does anyone get an A the first time?? And how does it differ for IS vs OOS? Looks like all these As are for OOS applicants. The one IS A has a 76.5 LM. If this is you, do you also have a superstar profile outside of your LM?

Edit: Looked at last year's thread and some people WERE rejected after the interview, as early as Oct 22nd. So if you got an AC email it definitely means you are not an outright R. It could become an R in the end, but at least for now you're not an R. I don't know if this was obvious to others, but I thought there's solace in that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
For those that accepted the admissions offer, just confirming there is no deposit, right?
I didn't have one in my to-do list, so I don't think they require one for confirming an initial acceptance offer.

What exactly does active consideration mean? Did the admissions committee review the app again post-interview and think, "Interesting, but not willing to decide just yet"? And you remain in active consideration, meaning everytime the adcom meets they will look at your file again to see how you compare with everyone else they've seen, including any new ones? And at some point they decide, OK, you're interesting enough - so here's the A/sorry you're not interesting enough, so here's the W/R? Is this how AC works?

Does anyone get an A the first time?? And how does it differ for IS vs OOS? Looks like all these As are for OOS applicants. The one IS A has a 76.5 LM. If this is you, do you also have a superstar profile outside of your LM?

Edit: Looked at last year's thread and some people WERE rejected after the interview, as early as Oct 22nd. So if you got an AC email it definitely means you are not an outright R. It could become an R in the end, but at least for now you're not an R. I don't know if this was obvious to others, but I thought there's solace in that!
Not sure how AC works, but I just wanted to add that I got an IS A on Oct 15th with a 69 LM. My GPA doesn't even make UMass's 10th percentile!

Not sure how AC works, but I just wanted to add that I got an IS A on Oct 15th with a 69 LM. My GPA doesn't even make UMass's 10th percentile!
a LM of 69 with 11 II's and 5 A's already... whats your secret? did you cure cancer?

Last edited:
a LM of 69 with 11 II's and 5 A's already... whats your secret? did you cure cancer?
Haha I wish I did, but having good ECs, essays, and life experiences have definitely helped me out so far. It's not all about stats!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got an II! Complete mid August, OOS but I go to school in Mass. I'm screaming, I didn't think I'd get an interview here, I accidentally assumed they were located in Boston and talked about them like they were in Boston for an entire secondary essay😭

Edit: All appointments in early December!

II just now! Complete late July. OOS, but pretty strong ties to the school + Worcester and have lived in MA for 5+ years. Sent in an update ~ 2 weeks ago! SO excited!

OOS II just now, complete July

How long for people to go from interview to active consideration? Does everybody get it? Can you get in without getting it?

Seems like IS As might have been given out but just not as reported on SDN???

Think I just got the AC email but the way it’s phrased makes it sound like they’ve reviewed my app and now it’s at the bottom of the pile? Is that how it sounds for everyone or just me 😅

Reactions: 3 users
Is AC a good or bad thing?
Seems...neutral. There are obviously lots of As from last year from people who received AC, but there are also waitlists and rejections. I think we basically should take them at the word when they say it's just a chance to reevaluate you at a later date.

Seems...neutral. There are obviously lots of As from last year from people who received AC, but there are also waitlists and rejections. I think we basically should take them at the word when they say it's just a chance to reevaluate you at a later date.
So kind of like a deferred?

A this morning, in state!

Secondary complete 8/12, Interview 10/27

Received the AC two weeks ago, sent an update letter this past Monday and I guess it worked.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
IS II this morning :) over the moon excited!!! LM 75 complete early July

How many IS As have gone out thus far? Does anyone have an estimate? My anxiety is through the roof.

Also how many people who interviewed September or before are waiting??

• Sad
How many IS As have gone out thus far? Does anyone have an estimate? My anxiety is through the roof.

Also how many people who interviewed September or before are waiting??
Interviewed in late september OOS and still havent heard anything!!