2021-2022 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year it seemed like the vast majority of people post-interview got this email. I also recall them saying we would receive an email a few weeks post-interview if we were still in the running (I guess for us August interviewers it’s a little more than a few weeks lol) so it seems like this is normal to receive. I am curious to know if the people who got accepted last Friday received this email at all. Regardless, fingers crossed for some good news for all of us soon! :)
Was accepted last Friday and not put on AC first

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who interviewed AFTER the whole Oct-15th commotion and first round of As: How long does it take to get a decision back? Any of you hear back yet? A/R/WL or whatever?

Those of you who interviewed AFTER the whole Oct-15th commotion and first round of As: How long does it take to get a decision back? Any of you hear back yet? A/R/WL or whatever?
I interviewed a couple days after Oct 15th, and they said it will on average take about 1-2 months to get to your app, but if you haven't heard back at 2 months that you shouldn't worry; they just haven't gotten to your app yet.

Reactions: 1 users
maybe some decisions today for us active consideration ppl??

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they are going to contact people earlier since their online portal is going to be down at 5PM today.

Anyone that interviewed in August still waiting for a decision?

Anyone know how often the admission committee meets? And is that how often decisions are sent out as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how often the admission committee meets? And is that how often decisions are sent out as well?
Last year it looked like decisions were sent every Friday. Not sure if it’s the same this year because it seems like this year their cycle is moving faster…lots of IIs last year didn’t go out until around October, particularly for IS applicants

HOLY ****!!! Got an A today OOS. AC email about a week ago! Good luck everyone, wishing Y'all an A :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing around what time you got notified?

GOT THE A TODAY! 😭 I was put on active consideration about a week ago, and was about ready to send an update/pleading letter of interest before I got the email.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the PURCH interview is basically the same as the main program interview but just longer (3 hrs vs. 2 hrs)? They are both stated as being MMIs but wondering if maybe the PURCH interview might have more traditional questions to make it longer or if there's more time for presentations/discussions about the track

II received. Complete 7/28. Info in signature. OOS, but very strong ties

They're scheduling Dec/Jan

Those of you who were accepted: when did you interview? Just trying to make sense of a nonsensical timeline I guess lol

Does anyone know if the PURCH interview is basically the same as the main program interview but just longer (3 hrs vs. 2 hrs)?

It is formatted exactly the same and they ask the same types of questions. I’m not sure why the extra hour is there, maybe in case people have lots of questions about PURCH.

Does anyone know if the PURCH interview is basically the same as the main program interview but just longer (3 hrs vs. 2 hrs)? They are both stated as being MMIs but wondering if maybe the PURCH interview might have more traditional questions to make it longer or if there's more time for presentations/discussions about the track
They're basically the same. PURCH doesn't even last the 3 hours, it is the same number of stations as regular MD (8 stations).

Are we expected to send thank you email after an MMI at UMass? Is it common practice? Advisable?

Has anyone been accepted to the PURCH track yet? I haven't seen anyone get the A for this yet.

Is there a GroupMe or Facebook group or something for accepted students? I will most likely be matriculating here and would love to start meeting my future classmates!

Interviewing later today. Anyone have any last-minute advice? Hoping for the best to everyone interviewing today!!

Interviewing later today. Anyone have any last-minute advice? Hoping for the best to everyone interviewing today!!
This was the most chill interview of all. Logistically, it's all done for you, so you just focus on you and your answers. The actual interviewers are also pretty good at showing reactions, and nodding, and smiling when you are responding, and that feedback is really useful and puts you at ease. Don't feel the need to fill the entire 6 minutes. All of them had a list of follow up questions to draw from, so you can stop whenever you've made your point and then it becomes a conversation.

All the best! You got this! :)

• Love
Sorry if I am repeating anything anyone else has asked, but what is the general timeline on a decision post interview? I interviewed for PURCH and regular MD in early/mid-September and haven't heard back yet (minus the active consideration email). Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Maybe since they ghosted us last Friday we will hear back today

• Haha
current student at umms here: wanted to pop in and say that it often takes MONTHS to get an A or an R after an interview unless you’re a stellar applicant with near perfect stats and life story. Hang tight! About 99% certain no Rs are sent out until a bit later (Jan)

Reactions: 3 users
current student at umms here: wanted to pop in and say that it often takes MONTHS to get an A or an R after an interview unless you’re a stellar applicant with near perfect stats and life story. Hang tight! About 99% certain no Rs are sent out until a bit later (Jan)
This is good to know. Thank you!
Would you be able to tell us about your experience at UMass so far? There are no reviews available online, so any inside perspective would be good. How does being in a State School compare to other private schools your friends might be at? Teaching, administration, facilities, life in worcester…any thoughts would be appreciated!

it seems the large majority of A's so far have been OOS

maybe IS A's take a bit longer to start picking up

Do you think it is a good idea to send an update/interest letter?

I hope so!!
Looks like 6 OOS A's and only 1 IS A so far since 10/15.... For a state school this wouldn't make sense unless they hold off on IS A's until the cycle progresses

Looks like 6 OOS A's and only 1 IS A so far since 10/15.... For a state school this wouldn't make sense unless they hold off on IS A's until the cycle progresses
I have heard that many schools with IS biases have a certain “quota” of OOS students to admit, so my guess is they are trying to fill those slots early before moving on to IS…but what do I know lol

• Haha