-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mt. Sinai HuMed 2012
Started by Spanishdoc2019
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I am applying as well! I'm really excited / nervous / hopeful. What are you guys majoring in? 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I figured it wouldnt be out till this week seeing as it hasn't been up yet. I declare major this year, English and Spanish Major. Yours?
Yeah I figured it wouldnt be out till this week seeing as it hasn't been up yet. I declare major this year, English and Spanish Major. Yours?
Yeah, I hope it is up soon though!
I am majoring in Creative Writing 🙂
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Nice, I am also a big fan of creative writing. What are you leaning towards? Poetry, novels, narrative essays, etc? Though we both know this will be second to being a doctor😉. Where do you go to school?
I am at Carleton College.
I am at Carleton College.
Nice, I am also a big fan of creative writing. What are you leaning towards? Poetry, novels, narrative essays, etc? Though we both know this will be second to being a doctor😉. Where do you go to school?
I am at Carleton College.
I sort of combine poetry and short prose 🙂 I'm not really sure which category it's under; my pieces have been published as poetry and as prose, so whatever the editors prefer I guess! 🙂
I go to a small liberal arts school on the West Coast. It's funny though -- I almost went to Carleton! How do you like it?
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Carleton is awesome!! I really like it; Do you go to Pomona? Just curious.lol sorry if I am beeing nosy. STILL NO APPLICATON WTF!
Carleton is awesome!! I really like it; Do you go to Pomona? Just curious.lol sorry if I am beeing nosy. STILL NO APPLICATON WTF!
That's awesome!! Nah, I don't. I visited but I couldn't really see myself there.
I KNOW! I'm so bummed! I was hoping to work on it tomorrow (holiday from work! woo!). Oh well. Do you think we could pre-write the essays? They talked about the prompts on the last year thread, but it was kind of vague -- there was never a clear answer as to if it was three separate essays or one. I guess it'd be safest to just wait.
This is really far away, but do you have any idea what kind of doctor you want to be?
I know, it says online that applications will be available no later than July 15, so whatever that means. I am actually at SMDEP right now, and as of now I am leaning towards family practice, psych, and neurology, but I did a clinical in the OR and it was badass, loved the vibe I got, nonetheless, I am not sure if being a surgeon or anaes is for me. You?
LOL looks like you and I are the only ones really interested in this program huh?
LOL looks like you and I are the only ones really interested in this program huh?
I know, it says online that applications will be available no later than July 15, so whatever that means. I am actually at SMDEP right now, and as of now I am leaning towards family practice, psych, and neurology, but I did a clinical in the OR and it was badass, loved the vibe I got, nonetheless, I am not sure if being a surgeon or anaes is for me. You?
LOL looks like you and I are the only ones really interested in this program huh?
Hmmm. I guess I will have to keep checking neurotically every hour until then! Haha 🙂 Oh, that's awesome! I've heard great things about SMDEP. I think neurology is interesting too. For the longest time, I was interested in a peds subspecialty (probably oncology), but then I started getting really interested in critical care, and from that I got interested in anesthesia. And I think neurosurgery also sounds amazing... So I'm kind of all over the place! I think every field sounds fascinating and wonderful in unique ways -- I just want to get to med school and try them all out! 🙂
Man, I hope so. Wouldn't that be awesome? Automatic in! I've seriously been dreaming about this program for 3 years. I can't believe applications are SO SOON!
I know right..? I only recently discovered the program, and I figured since Mt Sinai is one of my top choices ( though I doubt I can get in) I might as well give it a shot. I really just want to get in A med school; if it's a medical school that is my top choice, icing on the cake. Otherwise, just one is fine and dandy for me.
I know right..? I only recently discovered the program, and I figured since Mt Sinai is one of my top choices ( though I doubt I can get in) I might as well give it a shot. I really just want to get in A med school; if it's a medical school that is my top choice, icing on the cake. Otherwise, just one is fine and dandy for me.
That makes sense! Well, I hope the best for both of us 🙂 I feel the same way. I want to be a doctor so badly!
I am sure you will do well, you seem like a fun and interesting person, so cudos to you. It will alll work out in the end.
I am sure you will do well, you seem like a fun and interesting person, so cudos to you. It will alll work out in the end.
Aww, thanks! You do too! 🙂 And happy fourth, by the way!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, right back at you. Seems to me that you are by far the nicest person I have encountered on an anonymous forum. Usually people tend to be snarky and try to make themselves feel good by putting others down.
Thanks, right back at you. Seems to me that you are by far the nicest person I have encountered on an anonymous forum. Usually people tend to be snarky and try to make themselves feel good by putting others down.
Oh, well thank you! I'm sorry you've had bad luck in the past though. I hate it when people are snarky. There really is no need for that, you know? I don't think there is any excuse for being mean, especially when you're hiding behind a computer monitor.
Isn't that the truth!^
hello
Check this out if you want to know more about the program:
http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Medical Education/deans office/HuMed.pdf
http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/MSSM/Files/Education/Medical Education/deans office/HuMed.pdf
Last edited:
Exactly how are you familiar with the program? BTW thanks for the info, much appreciated. You applying?
hey guys
Hello, welcome to future paranoid applicants. LOL
haha, yeah.
sooo paranoid, im not the strongest applicant but its worth a shot to apply 🙂
sooo paranoid, im not the strongest applicant but its worth a shot to apply 🙂
Hi everybody!! 🙂 Nice to meet you!
I AM SO NERVOUS OMG.
I AM SO NERVOUS OMG.
not a strong applicant?? I am in the same boat. But like you said, its worth a shot. 🙂 best of luck though, it's not always about the numbers.
not a strong applicant?? I am in the same boat. But like you said, its worth a shot. 🙂 best of luck though, it's not always about the numbers.
I think the scariest part for me is that I have no idea what they are looking for! I don't know what really constitutes as a strong applicant.
Well, according to some inside information, unless you've done some outstanding ECs, you need an MCAT score >35 for an interview.
I think you might be confused! Unless you mean ACT instead of MCAT.. Which would be a really high score and a really scary piece of info!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed^
I got no secondary yet.
secondary? i thought the application was not out yet :/
secondary? i thought the application was not out yet :/
It isn't. I think some posters were confused and mistook this thread for the normal Mt. Sinai application thread. No worries! You're not behind 🙂
well, there we go guys
the app is up!
the app is up!
Ok now i'm really nervous. Intimidating app especially with over a decade since I bombed the ACT. I'll probably be the oldest applicant. Good luck everyone!
Ok now i'm really nervous. Intimidating app especially with over a decade since I bombed the ACT. I'll probably be the oldest applicant. Good luck everyone!
Oh wow! That might work in your favour though -- they seem to like applicants with a wide variety of backgrounds.
I am beyond nervous too though.
Welcome and good luck.
Welcome! 🙂
So I'm just curious -- do you guys have any science or medicine activities, or is it all humanities? I'm a bit worried about that.
Also, how recent do you think they are looking for in the first essay?
So I'm just curious -- do you guys have any science or medicine activities, or is it all humanities? I'm a bit worried about that.
Also, how recent do you think they are looking for in the first essay?
Welcome! 🙂
So I'm just curious -- do you guys have any science or medicine activities, or is it all humanities? I'm a bit worried about that.
Also, how recent do you think they are looking for in the first essay?
My activities are divided equally between tutoring, humanities, and medical exposure.
Also, I was wondering about the same thing for the first essay... do they want something from our first year of college, or is something a little earlier acceptable as well?
My activities are divided equally between tutoring, humanities, and medical exposure.
Also, I was wondering about the same thing for the first essay... do they want something from our first year of college, or is something a little earlier acceptable as well?
Okay cool!
I don't know 🙁 I want to talk about something from my senior year of high school, but I don't know if that is considered recent. I called the admissions office to ask and she said that it was up to my interpretation, so hopefully they won't mind 🙂
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Done and submitted. Here's to hoping for some Mount Sinai love!
Done and submitted. Here's to hoping for some Mount Sinai love!
Wow, already? Impressive!! I'm still working on my essays. Good luck! 🙂
I've been planning this app for several months so I had everything ready. Good luck.
I've been planning this app for several months so I had everything ready. Good luck.
Oh, that makes sense. For some reason, I couldn't find the old essay prompts, so I was less prepared than I wanted to be. With any luck, it'll still work out for me 🙂 Thanks for the well wishes!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It will work out fine. It is still very early and if the website is correct they won't look at any of them until September anyway.
It will work out fine. It is still very early and if the website is correct they won't look at any of them until September anyway.
Yeah, Dr. Hanss confirmed that when I asked a while back. What are you majoring in, thinbludoc?
Hey, I'm going to be applying to this program next year and I was hoping to start figuring out what they're looking for. Is it possible at all to post the prompt that you guys had for this year?
I'm a criminal justice major. I've been a police officer for over ten years and had a lot of the coursework done already. It's a gamble because I don't think it will look as good as Bio or Chem but I can't justify paying for all those credits again.
The prompts are pretty straight forward. Similar to most apps. Who are you? Why us? What do we do for you? Not verbatim of course but thats the jist of it.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.