Mt. Sinai HuMed 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No word yet either. I called and they said (as we obviously already know) interviews start first week of Nov till mid December, so I think next week the first round might start. I guess, maybe to some they already sent, but I think next week was the first week that people last year got interviews.
 
I'm going next week and it looks like they do a lot on the same day. I met a girl from Fordham who got in last year. She says they ask a lot of questions about your commitment to volunteer work. A lot of the students she met that got accepted last year were involved in all kinds inner city charity work, and I don't have any of that. They seem to take a lot of students from colleges here in the city. She met a guy from CUNY Hunter who was accepted and he told her that he knew a few students from NYU, Columbia, LIU and Adelphi that got in. You shouldn't think you have to go to Yale to have a shot, and they do seem to want students from a lot of different colleges, especially schools in NYC. I don't know if they are going to ask me any of the questions they asked her, but I'll post everything I can remember on the way out. Lou
 
I'm going next week and it looks like they do a lot on the same day. I met a girl from Fordham who got in last year. She says they ask a lot of questions about your commitment to volunteer work. A lot of the students she met that got accepted last year were involved in all kinds inner city charity work, and I don't have any of that. They seem to take a lot of students from colleges here in the city. She met a guy from CUNY Hunter who was accepted and he told her that he knew a few students from NYU, Columbia, LIU and Adelphi that got in. You shouldn't think you have to go to Yale to have a shot, and they do seem to want students from a lot of different colleges, especially schools in NYC. I don't know if they are going to ask me any of the questions they asked her, but I'll post everything I can remember on the way out. Lou

Ooh bummer. I go to school about as far away from NYC as possible while still being on the mainland.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't worry. I'm sure they take students from all over the country and probably abroad.
I would not be surprised if most schools want students who are going to give back to the local community, especially as internist / primary. Good luck and don't worry. There are also a lot of good programs outside of NYC.
 
not to freak people out, but i think 'lou' might be a troll. i spoke to a sinai admissions rep at my school's med school fair towards the end of september, and was told that humed interview invites would go out mid october at the very earliest (and lou says he got his a week ago...)
 
No offense, but not a troll (just looked up that word.) By the way, it is mid October, and I did get it the other week. If you want, I can forward you the email. No big deal. Just an interview., still along way to go before admission, if it happens.. See you just posted today for the first time. Just chill, nothing to be nervous or "freak" about to use your word. Relax, this program or another program - there are a lot of fine schools across the country. I'm a sophomore at Fordham in the Bronx and a lot of student here in the sciences never apply to this and wind up studying at Einstein, which they say is one of the best.. The career counseling here is really great.
Cheers and ciao. Lou
 
Is there somewhere online where we can check to see if we've been scheduled for an interview? I can't find anywhere on Embark... :'(
I'm afraid I won't get the email. I've been having some problems with my email address lately.
 
I also got the email invite for the interview. Don't look at the Embark for interview info, mine has not changed since my app was completed last month. Embark does not show anything about interviews.
 
Thanks for the info, guys! 🙂

I'm afraid this is going to be like being rejected from college all over again... and my professors who wrote my letters of rec. keep on asking if I've heard anything yet.
 
hey guyss, maybe they applied to a different program? because i just called in and they said they havent sent interview invites yet? who knows thoughh
 
Man I was hoping today would be the day. I'm going to be in Africa all December and am sure that if by some twist of fate I get a II i'll be on a different continent.
 
Man I was hoping today would be the day. I'm going to be in Africa all December and am sure that if by some twist of fate I get a II i'll be on a different continent.

Oh no!! :/ I'm not holding my breath anymore either.

Honestly I thought my stats might get me in the door to interview. >3.95 in both high school and college, >32 on my act, nationally recognised art activities, extensive involvement connecting art and science. Guess I am just not what they are looking for! Probably too much science.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No i'm not losing hope. I'm realistic that it's a bit of a reach. I was under the impression that they were going to do interviews in November and December. The longer it goes the higher the likelihood I will have to ask the school to accomodate my trip which is something I was hoping to avoid.
 
I got the invite for an interview. Whether I get accepted remains to be seen.
About me: Univ. of Ill. at Urbana, Major is Astronomy, ACT=29 (did not take SAT), 91 average in High School, many APs, with a lot of extra curricular.
Asian - Chinese
So far in College, GPA = 3.41.
Dad and Mom both went to Mount Sinai Medical School. Parents divorced now, but mom is a physician at the hospital and teaches in the medical school at Mount Sinai, which I think helped a lot.
Dad and Mom both are heavily involved in supporting the school's endowment (major contributions >1M), which I have to say probably helped a lot!!
My credentials were not spectacular, but the essays I think were very good, discussed how astronomy and medicine are connected.
Interview is scheduled!!!!
 
I got the invite for an interview. Whether I get accepted remains to be seen.
About me: Univ. of Ill. at Urbana, Major is Astronomy, ACT=29 (did not take SAT), 91 average in High School, many APs, with a lot of extra curricular.
Asian - Chinese
So far in College, GPA = 3.41.
Dad and Mom both went to Mount Sinai Medical School. Parents divorced now, but mom is a physician at the hospital and teaches in the medical school at Mount Sinai, which I think helped a lot.
Dad and Mom both are heavily involved in supporting the school's endowment (major contributions >1M), which I have to say probably helped a lot!!
My credentials were not spectacular, but the essays I think were very good, discussed how astronomy and medicine are connected.
Interview is scheduled!!!!


Isn't astronomy considered to be a science? Anyways, congrats on the invite! When are you going in for the interview?
 
Congrats to you windycity92! Reading the posts here on SDN about this school and others, connections definitely do mean something, possibly as significant as anything else. I don't know when you are going for your interview, but if you can, give us all here some feedback about the questions you got asked. Our career counseling office (Fordham) has already given me 2 mock interviews for this last week so I feel prepared. They also are reaching out to alumni who went to Sinai. Anyone at Fordham can just walk in, uptown or midtown and they will work with you on a mock interview based upon others who have been admitted to this program from our school. Here is the link if anyone at Fordham is interested.
http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resou...ces/undergraduate/career_counseling_79658.asp
 
hello everyone!
I also applied to the Humed program and called the admissions office last week and was told that interview invites will not be sent out until the end of Nov. I also applied pretty late, two days before the dead line so i hope that does not hurt me
 
Did you apply to Hum Ed MD early admission? Check the board from last year, a lot of the interviews were already done by October / November. Make sure you applied to the right program. I also think they do interviews in "waves," before making final admission decisions according to some of the posts from last year. There is a student from Northwestern who posted on another board that she is going for her interview this week. It is hard to figure out how they do this with interviews. They probably get a lot of calls and just tell people whatever to just get back to work....
Maybe they do it by colleges or parts of the country. What college are you at? I'm at U of I, Urbana, IL
Best of luck to all.
 
i applied to the Humanities and Medicine early admissions program. It is very weird, i just called today and they keep saying that no one has gotten an invite for an interview because interview invitations will not go out until end of Nov. I am very confused. I attend Spelman College in Atlanta
 
who knows?? just wait and see . I don't know, but my guess is that they do it in waves. Maybe they are doing it differently than last year. I would just stay calm and wait an see. sooner or later, they will let all the applicants know. I'm already of the mind set that i won't get accepted and that is alright because there are so many good medical colleges out there. I do like New York, but my family is now split between Chicago and NY, and there are also many good schools in the midwest. Also a lot of good medical colleges in the south. Peace.
 
just called the office 5 minutes ago. they said invites for humed aren't going out until end of october and that no invites have been sent out yet. however i know of a real person who has gotten an invite....so i don't know whats going on. 3 other kids from my school (duke) applied that i know of and they haven't heard anything either. my guess is people who have already heard back have a connection whether through their school or family.
 
yeah, thats the weird part, the office says no interviews and then you have people that have clearly been invited, we just have to wait and see. i also just realized that the number we call( the admissions office) just clears the applications meaning their job is just to make sure the application is complete. they are not apart of the committee. they probably do not know that people have gotten invitations. the lady in admissions told me to contact Basil Hans if i wanted to know specifics
 
Congratulations to the person from Duke that got an invite. Shows they definitely have sent some out. But I think the post above hit the nail on the head that connections could make a difference with the first round of interviews. reality is we live in a world that connections are more important than credential, just the way it is guys. Makes me feel a little guilty, but that is the way it is.
My interview is coming up so I'm kind of nervous, but resigned to the fact that I may not get in. Not really a big deal, there are a lot of good medical colleges out there. Love and Peace.
And I think that calling them again and again is probably a bad idea.
Everyone will get an answer sooner or later.
 
Not sure how to take that, but reality is that connections do make a difference. And yeah, when I leave "mommy and daddy's shadow," I'll do it with no debt, and likely an office set up that is all paid for. This country is 99% about connections and money. Just the way it is guy. Sometimes people are who they are in the real world because of mommy and daddy. If you don't agree, that is your choice. But when you see 1/2 of the applicants accepted with connections, and winding up successful as a result, .......I think you get the picture. Hey, we are all applicants and will all do well no matter where we go. Chill.
 
Take it however you want. I love hearing tales of the real world from people who have no clue of reality outside of their silverspoon existence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Windycity I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. But there is really no need to be so obnoxious about your connections-
"And yeah, when I leave "mommy and daddy's shadow," I'll do it with no debt, and likely an office set up that is all paid for."
 
Agreed, connections do help, but they are not everything. I got an interview w/o any connections for this program or parents working at the hospital like windcity92 or possibly the other poster who knows someone at DuKe that also got an interview.. While I may not have great "stats," I did write great essays about the humanities program and someone who I personally know that was treated at their hospital. My career office says they have sent out a first round of invites and will interview those applicants before considering who else to interview, so invites are definitely out there.
At Fordham, rumor has it that almost 1/2 of our high ranked law school is made up of children of alum who have been major benefactors. Probably also true at Sinai or any college or grad school for that matter. That does not bother me. You still need to do the work and pass to get to the next step, and being obnoxious will definitely not help you succeed. No need for you to throw at us that your parents both went to Mount Sinai or that one of them works there. If I were you, I would not even have posted that. Like Jansmile says in the post above this, no one disagrees that connections will help, but just don't rub it in anyone's face. Lou.
 
Only 3 so far from posters here. Looks like the initial round of interview invitations are basically going to those with connections at Sinai. No one knows for sure how they work, but invites have been sent out to some.
 
I applied to HuMED Sept 20, no word yet 🙁 Was wondering what you thought of my chances.

2190 SAT score, 3.98 HS GPA, unweighted, class valedictorian; i had to stay home a year due to surgery and commute to a state school in new jersey, kept up a 4.0, and transferred to NYU this fall as an Art History Major, so i have no NYU GPA yet. Worked in an emergency room for a year; NJ EMT certified. I have Crohn's disease, and Sinai was the place of its discovery, so this is literally my dream school to study medicine. I have no idea if I'm a viable candidate, but I keep anxiously checking my email for an interview offer. Does anyone know if we get an email of rejection if no offer for an interview will ever come down the pike?

SO NERVOUS UGH.
 
You have a good chance. I got the email for an interview invite and your "stats" are way higher than mine - your kind of credentials seem like the ivy league, not NYU.
I have a feeling that this program is much more about other factors, but still GPA and scores are important. I'm at Fordham (NYU did not accept me). You have an interesting background. Hard to say when you will find out. I applied after you and got the email the other week. It looks like the few that have gotten interviews mostly have some kind of connection to the school. A classmate of mine has a sister at Smith College (I think somewhere in Mass.) that got an interview invite by email yesterday, but he did add that she has a parent that graduated from Sinai and a brother that is in his second year at the school. Don't be nervous. There are probably over a 100 medical schools. Park Avenue NYC is even full of doctors who studied in South America and have very high regarded practices. Don't be nervous, probably not a good thing for Chron's disease. I do guess they will let everyone know, interviews or no interviews, whether they are accepted or rejected. Hard to say when they will finish notifying everybody.
 
Please do not be nervous just yet. I know for a fact that interview invites have yet to go out. People who have posted above about it are trolls. There is no special treatment with regards to 'connections' for receiving interview invites before others. I applied last year and received my invite on Nov 2, like the person above. Everyone else at my school that I know applied (and received invites) received the invite at the same time. Just like how Sinai was late to post the application in July, the adcom is a little late to sending out interviews.

Do not just believe what other people post on a forum right away. Clearly other people are concerned and have called Sinai. Sinai has told them that invites have not been sent out. Believe that.

Being a troll is unnecessary and stupid. It shows how pathetic you are.

Good luck and have patience with the invites! You will all go to fantastic medical schools and become great doctors (except the trolls..)!
 
Agreed, except I did get an invite for sure, I can even send it to anyone who wants to see it. Remember, an invite is not an admit. Just an invite, I interviewed today 11:00 group - with three others, The interviewers said right at the start of the interview that only about 1/3 of interviewees get admitted, Not a great chance, I'm not sure that everyone here who posted honestly got the invite, but I do know for sure they did send some out; I got one and interviewed today. Questions were all over the place and not what I expected. They asked me more about the high school transcript than college transcript. They did not at all ask about board scores. They did ask why Sinai would be a better choice over other schools in the city, and questions about the summer program which I honestly think I did not answer too well. The female interviewer with the heavy English accent (forgot her name) grilled me about my about why I selected the people I elected to write recommendations ..... I didn't have a great answer to a lot of questions, but winged it as best I could. Secretary said interviews go through the end of November. Hard to say, mixed feelings. Probably will not get in. 3 other students in my group all had parents or siblings at Sinai. (I do not have that). I'll post as soon as I know. No worries, I am cool with whatever the outcome is because there are a lot of choices for premedical students .....
Lou, Bg Apple, NYC!!! Where the bars stay open during any storm.....
 
Is it possible that you, directed to Lou, are talking about applying to Mt sinai medical school the regular way.... I mean HuMed has nothing to do with board scores.... so.... yeah.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, Lou has mentioned HuMed and said that he is a sophomore applying.. He is just a bad troll. Way to go Lou! :laugh:

Wait, you guys are saying that you didn't get your letters of acceptance yet? They have already started going out. I can send you e-mail proof of mine if you want.

Stats: 2.7 GPA, 1700 SATs, failed inorganic chemistry and biology twice, didn't finish high school, sports management/communication major.

I go to DeVry.

My essays were really good though!!!
 
Wait, you guys are saying that you didn't get your letters of acceptance yet? They have already started going out. I can send you e-mail proof of mine if you want.

Stats: 2.7 GPA, 1700 SATs, failed inorganic chemistry and biology twice, didn't finish high school, sports management/communication major.

I go to DeVry.

My essays were really good though!!!

Haha
 
I think the rest of us who still have not received an invite yet will find out much later. This is because the storm in New York is so terrible right now that this will be deemed insignificant until everything settles down (which might not be for a while). If you watch the news you will hear that Mt. Sinai is taking in a lot of people from other hospitals. We just have to stay patient, think positively and hope for the best for everyone in the east coast.
 
I just called, and the woman on the phone said that interview decisions were supposed to go out via email this week, but they will be delayed because of the hurricane. She said they'll be sent out next week, but she doesn't know exactly which day.

Good luck, everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.