Mt. Sinai HuMed 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, have y'all started your essays yet? I'm totally stumped on the third one...

Hello!
I have finished the first and second, and am starting on the third today. It's a bit tricky because I don't want to sound arrogant and like i know what makes someone a good doctor.. So I feel your hesitation!! I guess it depends on what you wrote the second one about. It was hard to disentangle those two, because it felt like they were too tied together to be separate essays.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you guys please help? The application instructions request official SAT scores, but they also say to NOT have collegeboard send the scores directly to Mt Sinai because Mt. Sinai does not have a code. My high school doesn't have my official sat scores and my college says they cannot release them. I called collegeboard and they said they cannot send official scores to my home. The instructions mention that "A photocopy or web shot of your SAT/ACT scores is also acceptable" but the only scores online are the ones on my unoffical score report. Any suggestions? I've been scambling around to try to get everything in order but I'm at a loss now. Any help would be really appreciated!
 
Can you guys please help? The application instructions request official SAT scores, but they also say to NOT have collegeboard send the scores directly to Mt Sinai because Mt. Sinai does not have a code. My high school doesn't have my official sat scores and my college says they cannot release them. I called collegeboard and they said they cannot send official scores to my home. The instructions mention that "A photocopy or web shot of your SAT/ACT scores is also acceptable" but the only scores online are the ones on my unoffical score report. Any suggestions? I've been scambling around to try to get everything in order but I'm at a loss now. Any help would be really appreciated!

I took the ACT, so it's a little different, but I just took a screenshot of the score online. It's unofficial, but I think they said that was fine.
 
Oh, that's a relief! Thanks so much for answering!
Did you just upload the screenshot to the online application or are you sending it with any other documents directly to Mt. Sinai?
 
I just submitted my application too! Good luck everybody 🙂 I wonder when we can expect to hear back about interviews. This will be a nerve-filled few months, that's for sure!! We will all have to band together to form a support group 🙂
 
Hey guys! Good luck with your apps! 🙂 I had a few questions--if you took classes at a community college in high school, do those grades need to be included? It wasn't exactly clear. I figured I'd ask before I called tomorrow.

Also, for the descriptions of the activities, is there a limit to how many characters/words we can use? I'm wondering if it is more resume format or more of a detailed explanation.
 
@sunrain, been wondering the same thing about community colleges. it doesn't look like there is a place for it right?

also ya, there is a character count it stops allowing you to type after a while.

update: just called and asked them and you do have to include community college grades etc! however, if you just take a screen shot of your unofficial transcript, they said it was fine!
 
Last edited:
Just submitted! Good luck to everyone 🙂

Just wanted to make sure- it's ok that I submitted before all my recommendations were submitted, right?
 
I submitted long before my letters were done so I hope so. I didn't even think about that. Every visit to SDN makes me a little more neurotic. Lol!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They sent me an email telling me that my application is incomplete, but I am not sure why.. I submitted everything, including letters of rec. Did anyone else receive this email? If so, could it maybe just be an error?
 
I received the same email. I called today and they took care of it. Very nice lady in the office but make sure you call at the right time. They take calls Mon and Wed from 2-4. I bet they appreciate those who follow the instructions. Good luck!
 
I didn't see the email until it was too late 🙁 Guess I'm waiting until Monday!
Good that you got it figured out though.
 
So my email after submitting said:
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thank you for submitting your application to the Humanities and Medicine Program at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and we look forward to reviewing it. .
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We would like to remind you that your application is not considered complete and will not be reviewed until all required information is received by the Office for Admissions. You may track the status of your application through the on-line application system http://apply.embark.com/Grad/MountSinai/17/. For any other questions, please call our admissions office, Mondays and Wednesdays from 2 - 4 pm, EST (212) 241-6696..

Does this mean my app is not complete, I checked online, and all my information is in, it just says something about transcripts 3 and 4, no current status, please check later; I do not have any transcripts 3 or 4, so.... I am confused. Any one else have this problem? Many thanks
 
Mine says the same as far as transcripts 3 and 4. At the top of the box on the "Track Status" page it should say "Application File Complete: Yes". If it says yes just sit back and enjoy the wait with the rest of us. Good luck!
 
Aaaah, I wonder when interview invites will start going out. I think they are starting to review this week... Oh man. I am nervous!

Also, I wonder if rejections will be sent on a rolling basis or all at once. I guess we might find out soon! Although I hope we all get interviews and so we don't have to find out.. 🙂
 
I am wondering the same thing! I also wonder how "rolling" the process is. I remember last year people who completed very early didn't find out until late Nov/Dec. I wonder if they go through by school...
 
I am wondering the same thing! I also wonder how "rolling" the process is. I remember last year people who completed very early didn't find out until late Nov/Dec. I wonder if they go through by school...

What do you mean, by school?
 
What do you mean, by school?

I mean, does Mt. Sinai gather all the applications they have on Sept 15th, organize them by school, and then go through the applications? And do that for every week or so?

I'm not sure. I guess I really want to know how they pick the order to go through apps!
 
I mean, does Mt. Sinai gather all the applications they have on Sept 15th, organize them by school, and then go through the applications? And do that for every week or so?

I'm not sure. I guess I really want to know how they pick the order to go through apps!

Yikes, I hope they don't do it that way, being as I am the only person ever from my college to apply to this program.. I hope that doesn't put me at a serious disadvantage. I definitely don't go to a top school in the northeast.

I'm curious too!
 
Well with the high school transcripts I turned in i'm pretty sure i'll hear by mail. I just hope they cut me some slack because it was so long ago.
 
Well with the high school transcripts I turned in i'm pretty sure i'll hear by mail. I just hope they cut me some slack because it was so long ago.

I'm sure that they will take that into consideration!!!

Edit: by "that", I mean the length of time that has elapsed. Haha.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd be surprised if it was by school. Most ad coms go by chronological order. Or so i've been told.

Hmm, if only that were so for Mt. Sinai! Mysteries of admission I guess. And yes you will be a sort of guinea pig since you submitted so early 😛 hahaha we will see, good luck everyone!
 
Me either. Looking at last year it seems like II's came out the first week of October. Here's hoping. I get nervous when I get the mail now.
 
Me either. Looking at last year it seems like II's came out the first week of October. Here's hoping. I get nervous when I get the mail now.

I thought they sent out only emails for both interviews and rejected notifications?

Also, did anyone's recommendation status say "No current status" even though all of them say "received" on the recommendations page? They got all of my other files but my recommendations which were submitted well before I submitted the app still have no status...
 
I thought they sent out only emails for both interviews and rejected notifications?

Also, did anyone's recommendation status say "No current status" even though all of them say "received" on the recommendations page? They got all of my other files but my recommendations which were submitted well before I submitted the app still have no status...
No, my application says "Complete" next to Letters of Recommendation on the Track Status page. Maybe you can call them?
 
Haven't heard anything yet...when do they start sending out invites for interviews? Also, by phone or email?
 
I haven't heard anything either. I'm not really expecting to, though -- I think my application has too much science. We will see!
 
I think by email, but no idea for sure. Also i think first week of october was the last years first round of interviews w0mp
 
So I was sitting in class and missed a call from New York City this morning. I got all excited and ran out of class to call the number back. It was just Carnegie Hall wanting a donation. Dang it!
 
Lou here - Sophomore at Fordham - Rose Hill Campus. Just got the email yesterday inviting me for an interview!!!
Submitted the app Sept. 25. Didn't think I would get anywhere with this program because my stats are average at best, so the essays must be a big part of what they look at. I will post here again after my interview and give you any tips I can. I hope it all goes good as I really want to stay in NYC for medical school. Anyone else from Fordham Bronx Campus applying to this program? Lou.
 
Lou here - Sophomore at Fordham - Rose Hill Campus. Just got the email yesterday inviting me for an interview!!!
Submitted the app Sept. 25. Didn't think I would get anywhere with this program because my stats are average at best, so the essays must be a big part of what they look at. I will post here again after my interview and give you any tips I can. I hope it all goes good as I really want to stay in NYC for medical school. Anyone else from Fordham Bronx Campus applying to this program? Lou.

Wow, congrats! Thanks for letting us know.
I think I'm the opposite of you. My numbers are pretty solid, but my essays didn't come together as nicely as I was hoping. Looks like Sinai favours your mixture!
 
Thanks, I am not sure what they favor, but for an average white student from NYC with so so college board scores (1980/2400) and almost a 3.3 GPA index so far in college, it had to be something. I did work long and hard on the essays, and wrote a lot about my cousin being a patient at Mount Sinai and the great care he received which saved his life. My major is Economics, which I think could be uncommon for medical colleges. I also did a lot of hospital volunteer work since I was 15. I'll post as many questions from the interview that I can remember. Good luck to all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I remember reading that it is done on a rolling basis, so it may go by when you submitted the app on line.
 
It is "rolling" admissions. Some people submitted their apps back in August, and haven't heard anything. He submitted his late September, so it is not done in traditional rolling admissions style..
 
It is "rolling" admissions. Some people submitted their apps back in August, and haven't heard anything. He submitted his late September, so it is not done in traditional rolling admissions style..

Yeah. I submitted August 1. No word yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.