Mt. Sinai HuMed 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to whoever posted this message - honestly, I'm not sure that HuMed is worth the $105 application fee. I go to a top-caliber (HYP) university, which has historically sent a LOT of kids to HuMed, but this year, neither myself nor 4 other exceptionally-qualified people I knew who applied received interview invites. not to be obnoxious, but we have some of the best on-paper "stats" and "qualifications" in the country. it seems to me like HuMed is this great, big shot-in-the-dark; MSSM is frustratingly vague about what they're looking for, and the admissions process in general, which SUCKS. had I known all this before I applied, I probably would have spent the $105 otherwise...

But most of the applicants have top-notch stats and qualifications. You will undoubtedly experience this again and again when you apply regularly in a few years. That's not to say you won't do well in the process, but your stats and qualifications won't make any school a sure thing and there's no way to predict where you will or will not get an interview. Also, most schools are frustratingly vague about what they are looking for. Welcome to the world of medical school admissions.
 
Amen to that. And there is no point in getting worked up over one school, especially so early in the process. The mount sinai medical school and HuMed are amazing programs but so are the majority of the other 140 accredited schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No invite.
>3.95 GPA in both high school and college. 33 ACT. Small, not well recognised LAC not on east coast. No connections to Sinai. Great LORs, I think.
>500 hours hospital volunteering, >200 hours shadowing, nationally published poet, heavy theatre involvement, founder of artistic nonprofit to benefit hospital, cancer research, wrote and designed a statewide published informational booklet for kids about safety, non clinical teaching volunteering, leadership position in health at my university.

Good luck next year!

Also, just wanted to say that "traditional" pre-med activities like shadowing/volunteering the ER are looked down upon for the program. They really like to see HumEds doing what they say they are passionate about.
 
Yup. On my end, no good news 🙁 Maybe it's because I just found out, but a huge waste of money for me, my family could've used the money differently.

You miss some of what you go for and all of what you don't! I wish I would say that I didn't regret applying, but I do. I wish they would have invited fewer people to interviews to be perfectly honest. Not applying to Mt. Sinai in the future, but congrats to the lucky 25 who were accepted! 😀 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's everyone!!
 
I can't believe I got in... I was convinced I would be reading a rejection letter, and felt the doom right away at seeing the email in my inbox when I woke up. This is going to change my life completely.

I hope one day both that this program can expand to accept and encourage more humanities-and-medicine thinking and that other medical schools can follow suit. I'm becoming more and more sure that taking a whole year of physics, of orgo and a semester biochem and hundreds of hours studying for another standardized test is not going to make me any better a doctor than if I instead took the time to pursue, for example, global health or health policy real-life experiences. If you look at the leading doctors and thinkers today (Atul Gawande, or Joseph Murray, for example), and look at their biographies, you can see they didn't become who they are now because of an organic chemistry class. They had personally transforming experiences and were self-motivated.

Well done to all those who got in. And I just wanted to say that with such a crapshoot program like the HuMed (4.9% acceptance, it seems, which is crazy), the situation is just like college admissions, that is, one of the take-home messages is that if you get in, it says something good about you, but if you do not get in, it doesn't mean any bad at all---- it simply means that there were too few spots (which is a reflection on the school's resources) and has no reflection at all on you as a human being, let alone your potential to become a doctor. If I hadn't gotten in, I would have simply continued with physics, orgo and biochem and at the same time stay motivated to do all the things I wanted to do on top of this. In a way this second version of me here would have been more much impressive, since I would have had more constraints, but would have tried to accomplish more.

I encourage those who were not accepted to continue with what you're doing, dream big, think big thoughts and everything, I promise, will work out. Having applied to this program already puts you ahead of the cohort-- now you have an experience of what applying to medical school entails, and it will no doubt inform your applications in the years to come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.