Weill Cornell vs Feinberg Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornell or Northwestern?

• Total voters

rednote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm incredibly lucky to have been accepted at both of these schools. Can you guys help me make the decision? Student Life, Atmosphere, Education, Curriculum, Research etc...? Cost should be around the same. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Both great options. I think this decision should really just come down to where you would rather end up for residency.

I vote Northwestern because I love Chicago and don't particularly like NYC. I would rather end up in the Midwest, Texas, or West Coast for residency than the Northeast

Edit: Northwestern is also one of the schools that produces the most urologists, so if you are interested in that at all...

Last edited:
Congrats! Both have a PBL-heavy curriculum, so the biggest difference would be location. Cornell historically has had a greater reputation in medicine (Ivy League name, NYC location, etc.), but they are pretty similar caliber schools now. Where do you want to match? The majority of Feinberg grads stay in Chicago and the majority of Cornell grads stay in NYC (self-selective though).

Personally, I would go to Cornell - smaller school, incredible location, multiple world-class institutions (Rockefeller, HSS, Sloan) at its doorstep, and the Ivy League name never hurt anyone

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just throwing it out there as someone who lived and worked in NYC... it won't necessarily be as easy to live the student lifestyle in Manhattan. Being in Manhattan with no income is like being in the world's biggest candy store with no wallet.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd vote WCMC but I've heard that the student dorms are literally dorms where you walk down the hall with your shower caddy.
Other than that downside, HSS/MSK and being in one of the best cities are all great reasons to choose Cornell.

I think the schools are pretty similar in terms of reputation and the opportunities they will afford you post graduation. It would help if you listed your pros and cons for each school.

If I were in your shoes, my decision would come down to financial aid, but I guess that doesn't apply in your case since you state both schools will cost the same. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about Northwestern, though.

Last edited:
I'd vote WCMC but I've heard that the student dorms are literally dorms where you walk down the hall with your shower caddy.
Other than that downside, HSS/MSK and being in one of the best cities are all great reasons to choose Cornell.

Not true... each bathroom in Olin Hall is shared with just one other student. Don't assume I work there... actually, I had a boyfriend there ages ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Just throwing it out there as someone who lived and worked in NYC... it won't necessarily be as easy to live the student lifestyle in Manhattan. Being in Manhattan with no income is like being in the world's biggest candy store with no wallet.

I think it's easy. so many places you can go to for free, always something to do.

I'd choose WCMC

Nice job both are great choices. I just had my own version of this crisis but in the end I gave up on trying to be a poor student in the big apple. It does depend on whether you've ever lived in a city like NYC. But really, if it's just down to the difference between Chicago and NYC it would be a no brainer for me hands down Chicago. Don't know how much you know about it but Chicago definitely has enough activity to occupy the average person. While you get culture and big city resources, theres also a lot less sacrifice of your lifestyle. The arts, food, infrastructure are all accessible but you can also afford to live in an apartment that is not either communal student housing or a basement. Ultimately though the decision should be based on your fondness of the program and the people, so if WCMC is amazing in that aspect that's more reason to consider moving to NYC.

BTW Northwestern Memorial is one of the most pristine hospitals I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is the northwestern wait list moving? As in did you get accepted off the alternate lists for both Cornell and feinberg? Thanks!

You have to consider the most important issue facing you:

NY deli food and pizza, vs that cassarole they call Chicago pizza.

Hey all. I'm incredibly lucky to have been accepted at both of these schools. Can you guys help me make the decision? Student Life, Atmosphere, Education, Curriculum, Research etc...? Cost should be around the same. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: 7 users
Currently making this choice but waiting on $$$. Here's what I've been thinking!

Money comes first, all things being equal. Also, reputation is basically the same (maybe Cornell has an edge?).

But I vote Northwestern.

Location: For me, Chicago>NYC, maybe because I just know NYC so well at this point. Plus it's cheaper. I know Feinberg is in an expensive neighborhood but go a few miles west or North and things become much more reasonable, and a subway pass is included in tuition, so you'll already have it. Everyone I know who grew up or lives there now loves it, and I'm excited for something a little different.

Research: Heavy emphasis at both, with Cornell probably coming out on top, due to Tri-I and Cornell Tech going up! But, Northwestern is pushing HARD to expand their capacity, and they have the $$/space to do it. Currently a new biomed research center going up by 2018, recently renovated hospitals and lab space abound, and the RIC is getting a new mixed clinical/research hospital next year. Also, lots of crossover between the excellent Northwestern Engineering programs and the Medical School, which has some exciting research opportunities. Feinberg already puts out a lot of good work, and I think that's only going to improve.

Curriculum/Education/Hospitals: Cornell has 1.5 year, which I prefer, and you get an iPad. Northwestern has slightly less than two years, slightly more traditional, but cool things like the ECMH (longitudinal patient interaction with physician mentor). Both have PBL, strong research emphasis (Cornell might be slightly stronger), and concentrations if you want to focus your learning more. Hospital wise, Cornell has the huge Cornell Presbyterian, in the Upper East Side, while Northwestern has NW Memorial, Lurie Children's, and the Rehab Institute of Chicago, but all are in Streeterville. They do run programs at the County Hospital and the VA, as well as more rural sites, so there's the opportunity to see more diverse populations if you're so inclined. Both tend to serve rich people, especially Cornell with Sinai next door, but you'll probably see a lot of different stuff at both.

Also, at Feinberg, you can take one class per semester at Northwestern proper, so there's some great opportunities between the world renowned law, business, and engineering schools. But Cornell has Cornell Tech being built, so who knows what new opportunities that will bring!

Service: Didn't mention it, but I think it's worth mentioning. Cornell has the free clinic, and other teaching and service programs in upper Manhattan. That being said, the clinic is on the campus in the Upper East Side. Northwestern has 5 affiliated free clinics throughout the city, and many students work with the Chicago Public Schools as tutors/mentors. There's also recently been a lot of emphasis on health outcomes research, which is exciting to see, but it exists at both schools.

Student Life: Cornell has dorms, which are a blessing or a curse. Also, NYC is hard to beat for things to do, though it takes a little work to find ways to do them cheaply. There are also a lot of cool, non-academic groups at Cornell, like dodgeball or wine tasting. Northwestern has no housing, which is kinda obnoxious given that it's in Streeterville. But there are societies that group students, which I like the idea of, and they have events like the Olympics and In Vivo, which is a show. I know there are a lot of student organizations too. Students I met at both places were very nice! Also, you get a shuttle to Northwestern and can take part in their events, including speakers and things like Dillo Day (Anderson Paak and Schoolboy Q this year), which I really like.

So, pretty similar, but for me, the edge is Northwester. Beautiful new place (facilities + Chicago), better service opportunities, lots of new investment, and proximity to a university.

Either way, you're gonna rock it. Neither of these schools will hold you back! Good luck, and congrats!

Reactions: 1 users