This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
desperately seeking feedback!
21 years old, first time applicant
cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.57
last 45 hours: 3.93
GRE: V/Q/W: 154/150/4.0
had ~1000 hours of vet experience, most from working in a small animal clinic, and some from working at a shelter vet. The others are just a little large animal experience.
I am in a sorority and have held several leadership positions, member of the pre vet club, and animal science REPS club.
I am looking for some feedback because I have gotten 4 interview invites: WesternU (waitlisted), Kansas (waitlisted), Mississippi (rejected), and Minnesota (interviewing this Friday), but no acceptances yet... I am still waiting to hear from Iowa and Oklahoma. I am just curious if there are some things in my application that are preventing any acceptances or if it could just be my interview skills?? Also none of these schools are my IS. I feel the window of opportunity slowly shutting even though its not over so any commentary/insight would be great!! Starting to panic lol..

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so since I may have to apply a THIRD application cycle (grumble grumble), I've decided to post my stats. Let me know what you think I could improve on. Currently waitlisted IS at Cornell and OOS at Wisconsin.

To preface: I've taken the GRE 3x now and have concluded that I just suck at both taking and studying for standardized tests (same score first 2 times, worse score last time taken). I didn't decide on becoming a vet until sophomore year of college. I also changed my major to biology that year and I hadn't taken a bio class since 8th grade (so I had a lot of catching up to do and bio classes are curved--hence low GPA). I'm also from a low-income family so a lot of hours I could have used to accumulate experience was used to work so I could pay for tuition/rent. I would have liked to work in a clinical setting for my gap year, but few to none of those jobs are paid if you're not a LVT. So I did what I could.

Academics:
BA in Biological Sciences from Cornell, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45 GPA: 3.56

GRE Scores:
V: 157 (75th percentile)
Q: 159 (73rd percentile)
W: 5.0 (93rd percentile) <- the one score Cornell doesn't care about! :rage:

Vet Experience:
SA clinic in my hometown, owned by a Cornell alumni (240 hrs)
Wildlife Health Clinic (130 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy trainer and sitter (320 hrs)

Research:
Student researcher in a neuropsychology lab focusing on neural mechanisms of social behavior in prairie voles (involved animal handling; over 200 hrs)
Current lab tech in Cornell Vet School Research building, studying reproduction and carrying out bovine IVF (mentored by a DVM/PhD; idk like 500 hrs at time of application)

Volunteer/Extracurricular Experience:
Treasurer/House Manager/Alumni Mentor for a co-ed chemistry fraternity, member since freshman year of college

Employment:
Wegmans (grocery chain) for 6 years, started in high school and worked during breaks and holidays while in college
Library assistant in a small library in my dorm freshman year of college
Worked at my college's career center as a resume critiquer/student advisor for 3 years in college

My LORs:
SA vet that I interned with, Cornell alum
Undergrad faculty advisor
Undergrad research advisor from neuropsychology lab
Mentor from current job, current Cornell Vet clinician and researcher (DVM/PhD)

Are Cornell and Wisconsin the only places you applied to? Do you have your heart really set on those places or would you be willing to venture out a bit? If not, I totally understand because I definitely have my top picks as well.... but I have similar stats and figure I'll probably have to apply to a lot of places.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are Cornell and Wisconsin the only places you applied to? Do you have your heart really set on those places or would you be willing to venture out a bit? If not, I totally understand because I definitely have my top picks as well.... but I have similar stats and figure I'll probably have to apply to a lot of places.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I actually also applied to Tufts, UPenn, Ohio, and Guelph OVC. Last year when I applied I was waitlisted for an interview at Tufts, got a spot, interviewed, and was then waitlisted. I was waitlisted for an interview again at Tufts this year, but a spot never opened up for me to go unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am just curious if there are some things in my application that are preventing any acceptances or if it could just be my interview skills?? Also none of these schools are my IS. I feel the window of opportunity slowly shutting even though its not over so any commentary/insight would be great!! Starting to panic lol..

Your quantitative stats are all slightly better than average or average for each of the programs you listed that waitlisted you or rejected you after an interview.

Some schools weight your interview as part of your overall application, and some places the interview is all that matters once you receive an invite. You should call each school and see which is the case.

If it's the former, you may need to improve multiple non-quantitative parts of your application - essays, letters of recommendation, interview, etc. If it's the latter, you would need to improve your interview specifically.

It's impossible to tell whether you are below average in some, or all of the qualitative categories without doing a file review with the school.

So, as a 19 year-old Junior in undergrad I'm getting really anxious about whether or not I'll get into vet school and what to do in the event that I don't get in.
So far, my grades are fairly decent as I've gotten mostly A's in my non-science courses and not too many B's in my science pre-req's (even if I've personally declared Chemistry to be a death sentence). Here's the pre-requisites I've finished so far (my overall is GPA is a 3.6).
Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 2: A
Ochem 1: B
Stat 320: C
Principles of Cellular and Molecular Biology: AP Test (4)
Zoology: B
Physics: A
However, if I were to be evaluating my application, I would say that I'm somewhat lacking in animal hours as I'm struggling to find internships that'll take me as most places are either looking for current vet students or just don't have any positions open. I've been able to get over 100 hours, so I do meet the minimum, but that's not really going to be enough in the actual selection process, especially since I'm almost certain they'll bring it up in the interview (assuming of course that I even manage to get that far).
I'm currently scheduled to take the GRE this July, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like I should try and reschedule for an earlier time even if I don't think I'll be as ready. I'm also trying to get an internship, but the only clinics to get back to me so far said that they're looking for vet students, not pre-vet.
Aside from that, my current back-up plan is to go back for an extra year to finish the pre-req's for Med-School and/or a M.S. program for infectious disease, but I don't know if trying to go into work to get a ton of hours (and work off some debt in the process) would be more beneficial to my application.

So, as a 19 year-old Junior in undergrad I'm getting really anxious about whether or not I'll get into vet school and what to do in the event that I don't get in.
So far, my grades are fairly decent as I've gotten mostly A's in my non-science courses and not too many B's in my science pre-req's (even if I've personally declared Chemistry to be a death sentence). Here's the pre-requisites I've finished so far (my overall is GPA is a 3.6).
However, if I were to be evaluating my application, I would say that I'm somewhat lacking in animal hours as I'm struggling to find internships that'll take me as most places are either looking for current vet students or just don't have any positions open. I've been able to get over 100 hours, so I do meet the minimum, but that's not really going to be enough in the actual selection process, especially since I'm almost certain they'll bring it up in the interview (assuming of course that I even manage to get that far).
I'm currently scheduled to take the GRE this July, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like I should try and reschedule for an earlier time even if I don't think I'll be as ready. I'm also trying to get an internship, but the only clinics to get back to me so far said that they're looking for vet students, not pre-vet.
Aside from that, my current back-up plan is to go back for an extra year to finish the pre-req's for Med-School and/or a M.S. program for infectious disease, but I don't know if trying to go into work to get a ton of hours (and work off some debt in the process) would be more beneficial to my application.
Internships is not what you need. You simply need to ask to shadow to get veterinary experience hours. Dress professionally and put together a CV/resume and drop them off at local vet clinics, and if you can find LA, exotics, lab animal etc, that is ideal.

I agree with what Lupin said, specifically asking about internships may be what's tripping you up. Most clinics don't have a formal internship program for pre-vet students, but would be happy to let you come shadow for a day, and then come back regularly if it goes well.

If you don't get in on your first try, the good news is lack of veterinary experience is a lot easier to fix than poor grades. Do file reviews with any schools that reject you, and if more experience is indeed what they're looking for then you get a job at a clinic or continue shadowing, and just keep building your hours. I had to apply three times due to lack of experience and some seriously bad grades in organic chem, but it wasn't the end of the world. However, it is always good to have a plan in the back of your mind of how many times you're willing to apply, and what you would do if vet school never works out.

Hi friends!

I've posted here in the past but am in more of a position now to ask for advice. I'll list my stats and then my concerns. I'm a current senior graduating in May with my Bachelor's, taking at least 1 gap year. I posted this a couple weeks ago but it seems to have gotten lost in the flood of pre-vetters looking for advice :( (which I understand obviously)

Major: Biomedical Science: Medical and Veterinary Sciences
Cum. GPA: 3.36
Science GPA: ~3.17 (I think? Not 100% what would be included)
Last 45: Still in progress but will be 3.15 + whatever GPA I get this semester from 15 credits. (not great I know)
In-state: NY

GRE: 149V (43%), 154Q (55%), 4.5AW (82%)

Veterinary Experience:
- 260 hrs SA veterinary assistant (current PT job) --> est. to be around 600+ maybe by the time of application if i applied this year?)
- 140 hrs intern at SA shelter clinic
- 100 hrs intern at equine clinic, also w/ambulatory vet

Animal Experience:
- 480 hrs intern at wildlife rehabilitation center
- 125 hrs volunteering for cat adoption center
- 46 hrs dog sitting/walking
- 24 hrs research aquarium volunteer (not sure if this would go under research, i literally just cleaned tanks)
- 40 hrs dog sitting
- 17 hrs dog kennel tech (still ongoing)

Extracurricular activities:
- Spent semester abroad in Australia, not sure if this goes here?
- Pre-Vet Club
- Intramurals
- When in Australia: Beach Volleyball Club, QUEST (exchange student club), aquarium volunteer

Letters of Rec likely if applied this year:
- SA vet I currently work with
- Wildlife rehab supervisor
- Academic advisor/professor

My concerns:
- Low GPAs/GRE scores: hoping my variety of experience will help balance this out and I'll try to pick schools that don't heavily weigh academics but we'll see.
- Low experience numbers: again, hoping the variety helps balance this out, but you can only make up so much for lack of strength somewhere with a different category.

I was going to take 2 gap years because I don't feel 100% confident in my application applying this year and wasting all the time/money just to get denied. However, I'm already feeling burnt out with school so I'm not sure I'll want to go back in 2 years, despite a vet being all I've ever wanted and still want to be. So I'm thinking about maybe applying for a couple schools tailored to my application this year and hope for the best, but don't want to if my chances are so so so slim. Obviously finances are slim as with many of us on here.

Any help appreciated, or let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Low GPAs/GRE scores: hoping my variety of experience will help balance this out and I'll try to pick schools that don't heavily weigh academics but we'll see.
Michigan State doesn’t look at the gre and don’t look at your gpa beyond stage 1 of “do you have at least a 3.0” so they could be a good option for you
During your gap year(s) you could also take some more classes to boost your last 45 gpa some and then apply to schools that focus more on last 45 and science and don’t look at cumulative at all or not at much

So I've been stressing out a lot over this today. I'm a senior at a school with a great pre-veterinary program. We have a grade forgiveness option where you can repeat courses in which you received a D or lower and it will replace that grade in your GPA. However, I noticed a lot of vet schools average the two grades. I didn't have to repeat the courses because I was a bad student. Well, maybe the one I had to repeat freshman year. But there were two others- organic chem 1 and 2 - that I had to repeat. The situation surrounding it was that I was having a lot of family problems regarding divorce, emotional abuse, and a bunch of other things I won't go into here. I noticed that my grades were slipping as a result because I was being thrown around every which way by my family. As a result, I had to make a decision to give up on a class to save my grades in my other classes. Organic chemistry, being notoriously hard at my school, was the clear option. I did exceedingly well in all of my other classes, and did well when I repeated the courses in the summer.

Now looking back, my transcript is pretty good from second semester sophomore year and on. Repeated and forgiven grades aside, I have about a 3.5-3.6 or so for my last 2.5 years. Not the greatest ever, but certainly nothing bad. As a result of freshman stupidity, I'm looking at just over a 3.3 when I graduate. That's fine in my book given that I'll have over 3,000 hours of veterinary experience, a chunk of research experience, extra curriculars with executive board positions, and volunteer experience. I'm also a good standardized test taker so I'm not too worried about the GREs. The only thing haunting me now are these repeated courses. What should I do? What are my options? What are some schools that I could look into that would be my best bets? Any help is appreciated, because this is really tearing me apart.

So I've been stressing out a lot over this today. I'm a senior at a school with a great pre-veterinary program. We have a grade forgiveness option where you can repeat courses in which you received a D or lower and it will replace that grade in your GPA. However, I noticed a lot of vet schools average the two grades. I didn't have to repeat the courses because I was a bad student. Well, maybe the one I had to repeat freshman year. But there were two others- organic chem 1 and 2 - that I had to repeat. The situation surrounding it was that I was having a lot of family problems regarding divorce, emotional abuse, and a bunch of other things I won't go into here. I noticed that my grades were slipping as a result because I was being thrown around every which way by my family. As a result, I had to make a decision to give up on a class to save my grades in my other classes. Organic chemistry, being notoriously hard at my school, was the clear option. I did exceedingly well in all of my other classes, and did well when I repeated the courses in the summer.

Now looking back, my transcript is pretty good from second semester sophomore year and on. Repeated and forgiven grades aside, I have about a 3.5-3.6 or so for my last 2.5 years. Not the greatest ever, but certainly nothing bad. As a result of freshman stupidity, I'm looking at just over a 3.3 when I graduate. That's fine in my book given that I'll have over 3,000 hours of veterinary experience, a chunk of research experience, extra curriculars with executive board positions, and volunteer experience. I'm also a good standardized test taker so I'm not too worried about the GREs. The only thing haunting me now are these repeated courses. What should I do? What are my options? What are some schools that I could look into that would be my best bets? Any help is appreciated, because this is really tearing me apart.
Most schools have a section where you can explain the circumstances surrounding less than stellar grades and dropped classes. I think if you explain the situation, many schools would be forgiving. That being said I’d still focus on schools that weigh experience and last 45 GPA more heavily so you’re not penalized for “freshman stupidity” as much. All the admissions people I talked to said a dropped/retaken class or two is fine as long as it doesn’t look like a chronic issue.

Most school have a section where you can explain the circumstances surrounding less than stellar grades and dropped classes. I think if you explain the situation, many schools would be forgiving. That being said I’d still focus on schools that weigh experience and last 45 GPA more heavily so you’re not penalized for “freshman stupidity” as much. All the admissions people I talked to said a dropped/retaken class or two is fine as long as it doesn’t look like a chronic issue.

Thank you so much for your response. I really just need a little reassurance more than anything. I don't think it'll look like a chronic issue given that in my explanation I'll mention the cause behind it, which has no possible way of following me past graduation. The situation was entirely about undergrad education and financial stability, and since I'm covering vet school costs, that isn't a problem anymore. Do you know some schools that focus on last 45?

Thank you so much for your response. I really just need a little reassurance more than anything. I don't think it'll look like a chronic issue given that in my explanation I'll mention the cause behind it, which has no possible way of following me past graduation. The situation was entirely about undergrad education and financial stability, and since I'm covering vet school costs, that isn't a problem anymore. Do you know some schools that focus on last 45?
There are scattered posts addressing this throughout the forum. Start here SDN Compendium of All Things Pre-Vet (READ THIS FIRST)
Then I chose the Factors when picking a school thread, then used the search box to query "last 45" and clicked the box indicating "this thread". You can also broaden it up and choose "this forum" :)

Members don't see this ad :)
21 Year Old Female (Will be applying in upcoming cycle)

Major: Animal Science with minor in avian/poultry science
Cum. GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45: 4.0

Have not taken GRE yet

Veterinary Experience:
-250 hrs shadowing dairy vet
-100 hrs working with our farm vet
-50 hr shadowing students at UPenn

Animal Experience:
- 29,000+ working on dairy farms/showing cattle

Research Experience:
Around 100 hrs so far working on undergrad honors thesis, have presented at a few research symposiums

- Dairy Science Club
- Pre Vet Club
- Poultry Science Club
- Animal Reproduction Research Club
-Block and Bridle (secretary)

Your GPA is fantastic! Mine was similar (last 45 and science 4.0, cumulative 3.97). One thing I would definitely do is get some more small animal veterinary experience with a veterinarian. My number of experience hours was similar to yours, a little higher, and I was accepted to each school I applied to. Honestly I think you have a great chance of getting accepted, but I think getting some shadowing in with a small animal vet would make your chances even greater and show that you are open to working with all species. Hope that’s helpful!

Michigan State doesn’t look at the gre and don’t look at your gpa beyond stage 1 of “do you have at least a 3.0” so they could be a good option for you
During your gap year(s) you could also take some more classes to boost your last 45 gpa some and then apply to schools that focus more on last 45 and science and don’t look at cumulative at all or not at much
That’s great advice, i didn’t really think about the class thing. Thank you so much!! ☺️ I will also take a better look into Michigan State as I could use all the help I could get so thanks for that tip.

VMCAS offers an explanation statement. I also had to repeat courses but it hasn't affected my ability to earn interviews (I wrote a statement). I also did pretty good on the GREs which I set as a goal to make up for it, so they can see I really am smart lol

Alright, so since I may have to apply a THIRD application cycle (grumble grumble), I've decided to post my stats. Let me know what you think I could improve on. Currently waitlisted IS at Cornell and OOS at Wisconsin.

To preface: I've taken the GRE 3x now and have concluded that I just suck at both taking and studying for standardized tests (same score first 2 times, worse score last time taken). I didn't decide on becoming a vet until sophomore year of college. I also changed my major to biology that year and I hadn't taken a bio class since 8th grade (so I had a lot of catching up to do and bio classes are curved--hence low GPA). I'm also from a low-income family so a lot of hours I could have used to accumulate experience was used to work so I could pay for tuition/rent. I would have liked to work in a clinical setting for my gap year, but few to none of those jobs are paid if you're not a LVT. So I did what I could.

Academics:
BA in Biological Sciences from Cornell, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45 GPA: 3.56

GRE Scores:
V: 157 (75th percentile)
Q: 159 (73rd percentile)
W: 5.0 (93rd percentile) <- the one score Cornell doesn't care about! :rage:

Vet Experience:
SA clinic in my hometown, owned by a Cornell alumni (240 hrs)
Wildlife Health Clinic (130 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy trainer and sitter (320 hrs)

Research:
Student researcher in a neuropsychology lab focusing on neural mechanisms of social behavior in prairie voles (involved animal handling; over 200 hrs)
Current lab tech in Cornell Vet School Research building, studying reproduction and carrying out bovine IVF (mentored by a DVM/PhD; idk like 500 hrs at time of application)

Treasurer/House Manager/Alumni Mentor for a co-ed chemistry fraternity, member since freshman year of college

Employment:
Wegmans (grocery chain) for 6 years, started in high school and worked during breaks and holidays while in college
Library assistant in a small library in my dorm freshman year of college
Worked at my college's career center as a resume critiquer/student advisor for 3 years in college

My LORs:
SA vet that I interned with, Cornell alum
Undergrad faculty advisor
Undergrad research advisor from neuropsychology lab
Mentor from current job, current Cornell Vet clinician and researcher (DVM/PhD)

Since you're close to my heart at @johnnaboo I feel inclined to help you out!!:love:
#1 Your GPA stats are very similar to mine! Have you considered applying places that favor the last 45 GPA? Kansas State, Michigan State, Illinois, Minnesota, ect. (most of the schools I applied to)
#2 your GRE is better than mine!! I also suck at standardized testing (152/152/4.5). Apply to schools that don't put high weight on scores and you'll be fine!
#3 I also do not have limitless supply of money to retake prereq classes...I'll be in enough debt in vet school I don't need/want more...
#3 Have you tried getting a job at a SA clinic as a vet assistant/tech? I got a gig like that by pure chance and applying everywhere even when I think I didn't qualify!! The worse that happens is they say no and you move on to the next ;) I think you'd GREATLY benefit from more vet/animal hours to make that part of your app pop! You can both make a living wage and get more vet hours if you're persistent enough!! I personally believe my experience/interview are the real reason I have 2 acceptances currently! If you have more questions feel free to PM me!

PS: This app cycle was my #3 so I know the frustration :(

Reactions: 1 users
Since you're close to my heart at @johnnaboo I feel inclined to help you out!!:love:
#1 Your GPA stats are very similar to mine! Have you considered applying places that favor the last 45 GPA? Kansas State, Michigan State, Illinois, Minnesota, ect. (most of the schools I applied to)
#2 your GRE is better than mine!! I also suck at standardized testing (152/152/4.5). Apply to schools that don't put high weight on scores and you'll be fine!
#3 I also do not have limitless supply of money to retake prereq classes...I'll be in enough debt in vet school I don't need/want more...
#3 Have you tried getting a job at a SA clinic as a vet assistant/tech? I got a gig like that by pure chance and applying everywhere even when I think I didn't qualify!! The worse that happens is they say no and you move on to the next ;) I think you'd GREATLY benefit from more vet/animal hours to make that part of your app pop! You can both make a living wage and get more vet hours if you're persistent enough!! I personally believe my experience/interview are the real reason I have 2 acceptances currently! If you have more questions feel free to PM me!

PS: This app cycle was my #3 so I know the frustration :(
GREENEY! Thank you, I really appreciate it!
  1. I didn't even know that was a thing. Michigan I know doesn't take one of my prereqs (I did a 1 semester version of orgo). But that's good to keep in mind!
  2. Right?? I studied as much as I could but nothing stuck. Mostly because I vehemently did not want to re-learn 6th grade math.
  3. Yep yep yep. Money and me aren't on great terms.
  4. (3? Again? :p) I'm actually trying to see if I can get some clinical experience through my boss. I've been looking for SA assistant jobs, but there aren't many around here and most are volunteer-based. I'm already working full time, so I'd have to stretch myself pretty thin to do that. But luckily my boss is super awesome! We've already started strategizing how to improve my resume and experiences if I don't get off the waitlist. And I do agree, more vet hours would help.
Congrats on your acceptances! Where are you going?

1. I didn't even know that was a thing. Michigan I know doesn't take one of my prereqs (I did a 1 semester version of orgo). But that's good to keep in mind!
  2. Right?? I studied as much as I could but nothing stuck. Mostly because I vehemently did not want to re-learn 6th grade math.
  4. (3? Again? :p) I'm actually trying to see if I can get some clinical experience through my boss. I've been looking for SA assistant jobs, but there aren't many around here and most are volunteer-based. I'm already working full time, so I'd have to stretch myself pretty thin to do that. But luckily my boss is super awesome! We've already started strategizing how to improve my resume and experiences if I don't get off the waitlist. And I do agree, more vet hours would help.
Michigan State ALSO a doesn’t look at the gre (though tbh your scores are actually pretty good and above average for quite a few schools)
Iowa State also cares more about last 45 than cumulative (iirc they only check cumulative to make sure that you meet their 2.5(?) minimum)
Greenie and I are currently on the waitlist for isu :hilarious: but supposedly they pull a decent amount off SO I HAVE HOPE FOR MYSELF (though she’s already gotten an acceptance somewhere :p)

Yea some schools like U of I for example have completely different acceptance strategies!! U of I, once you pass their initial academic review, will not consider GPA/GRE as part of their final decisions :) And yea I took just O Chem 2 This past semester to give myself more schools to apply to. It cost about $2,000 (it hurt my soul!!!) Literally spent 2 grand to torture myself... Maybe take it at a community college if irs not completely out of reach! (with your full time job time restraints). And good I'm glad you're working with someone to get more hours that'll be a great boost :) It also really important how you sell the experiences you Have! I changed my language of my descriptions on my VMCAS and I think it helped!

And I've been accepted to Michigan State, Minnesota, and waiting to hear from UIUC. My heart is set on Minnesota :love:
but it'll depend on where my BF can get work as Well! And don't give up yet! You're still on waitlists right? :cat:

Yea some schools like U of I for example have completely different acceptance strategies!! U of I, once you pass their initial academic review, will not consider GPA/GRE as part of their final decisions :)
MSU is also like this (I know you said you didn’t have the orgo 2 prereq @johnnaboo but just as an FYI in case you were willing to take it)

desperately seeking feedback!
21 years old, first time applicant
cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.57
last 45 hours: 3.93
GRE: V/Q/W: 154/150/4.0
had ~1000 hours of vet experience, most from working in a small animal clinic, and some from working at a shelter vet. The others are just a little large animal experience.
I am in a sorority and have held several leadership positions, member of the pre vet club, and animal science REPS club.
I am looking for some feedback because I have gotten 4 interview invites: WesternU (waitlisted), Kansas (waitlisted), Mississippi (rejected), and Minnesota (interviewing this Friday), but no acceptances yet... I am still waiting to hear from Iowa and Oklahoma. I am just curious if there are some things in my application that are preventing any acceptances or if it could just be my interview skills?? Also none of these schools are my IS. I feel the window of opportunity slowly shutting even though its not over so any commentary/insight would be great!! Starting to panic lol..

Our stats were pretty similar (my quant GRE was lower, sciGPA lower, GRECverbal was higher and I had ~500 more hours) and I got into my IS first try so I definitely think you have a good shot as long as your essays and interview are strong.

Hello! I'm graduating next semester and I have been recently freaking out about my application chances. I am not applying for this upcoming cycle, but I will be applying for the first time the summer 2019 cycle. My plan after I graduate in December is to work full time at a vet clinic and volunteer at a local rescue zoo. During this time I also plan to study for the GRE. I haven't taken it yet, but I normally do pretty well with standardized test so hopefully I can do well! Any advice or feedback is very appreciated! Thank you! :)

Major: Biomedical Science
IS: Texas A&M
Cum. GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: ~3.3 although im not 100% sure and I still have a few more science classes left
Last 45: Still happening, but should be around 3.5-3.8 depending.

GRE: Haven't taken

Veterinary Experience:
- 75 hours shadowing at a mixed veterinary clinic
- 400+ hours at the clinical pathology lab of a small animal hospital under the direction of several veterinarians (Current job)

Animal Experience:
- 250 hrs working at an animal shelter
- 100 hrs working at an aviary as enrichment tech

- Pre-Vet Club Member
- Several positions in a multicultural sorority, including president

Letters of Rec if I applied this round
- Veterinarian at pathology lab
- Pathology lab supervisor
- Academic advisor

My concerns:
- Low GPA: I had a few rough classes in some important courses: Cs in Ochem 1 and 2, BICH 1, and Bio 2 ( bad i know ): ) but my last 45 hours are going better and I believe I can do pretty well in the end. I would be up for some kind of postgraduate courses/program, but that's kind of a last resort if I can't do anything else.

- Experience: I feel pretty good about my variety. I would like some exotic and large animal but hopefully I can get some of that during the "gap year." I am worried about not having enough total hours to compensate for my okay GPA and that I havent been in a clinic setting for long.

Do you think my plan for my "gap year" is okay? I would rack up a good amount of vet hours and animal experience! Hopefully I'll be able to focus on my GRE score enough to get a good score too. Is there anything else you guys think could help my application? Thanks again! :)

Hello! I'm graduating next semester and I have been recently freaking out about my application chances. I am not applying for this upcoming cycle, but I will be applying for the first time the summer 2019 cycle. My plan after I graduate in December is to work full time at a vet clinic and volunteer at a local rescue zoo. During this time I also plan to study for the GRE. I haven't taken it yet, but I normally do pretty well with standardized test so hopefully I can do well! Any advice or feedback is very appreciated! Thank you! :)

Major: Biomedical Science
IS: Texas A&M
Cum. GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: ~3.3 although im not 100% sure and I still have a few more science classes left
Last 45: Still happening, but should be around 3.5-3.8 depending.

GRE: Haven't taken

Veterinary Experience:
- 75 hours shadowing at a mixed veterinary clinic
- 400+ hours at the clinical pathology lab of a small animal hospital under the direction of several veterinarians (Current job)

Animal Experience:
- 250 hrs working at an animal shelter
- 100 hrs working at an aviary as enrichment tech

- Pre-Vet Club Member
- Several positions in a multicultural sorority, including president

Letters of Rec if I applied this round
- Veterinarian at pathology lab
- Pathology lab supervisor
- Academic advisor

My concerns:
- Low GPA: I had a few rough classes in some important courses: Cs in Ochem 1 and 2, BICH 1, and Bio 2 ( bad i know ): ) but my last 45 hours are going better and I believe I can do pretty well in the end. I would be up for some kind of postgraduate courses/program, but that's kind of a last resort if I can't do anything else.

- Experience: I feel pretty good about my variety. I would like some exotic and large animal but hopefully I can get some of that during the "gap year." I am worried about not having enough total hours to compensate for my okay GPA and that I havent been in a clinic setting for long.

Do you think my plan for my "gap year" is okay? I would rack up a good amount of vet hours and animal experience! Hopefully I'll be able to focus on my GRE score enough to get a good score too. Is there anything else you guys think could help my application? Thanks again! :)

Definitely agree with you- you should try to get a lot more hours in a clinic setting. Diverse hours are best - you want contact with as many species as possible. And yes, make sure to knock your GRE out of the park.

Hi everyone! I am a successful applicant from the class of 2021. I started a blog about my veterinary school experiences. Take a look! Here is a post about my Top 10 Tips for getting into veterinary school. Feel free to let me know what you think or give feedback.

My Top Ten Tips for Getting Into Veterinary School

Thanks so much and congratulations to you all!

Academics:
BS in Animal Science from UF, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.76 (I got a D+ in Chem freshman year due to poor studying habits and a high course load. I retook it and earned an A and continued to do well throughout my science classes)
Last 45 GPA: 3.95

GRE Scores:
V: 76th percentile
Q: 65th percentile (math is killer)
W: 90th Percentile

Vet Experience:
UF Small Animal Hospital (500 hours)
Equine Reproduction Center (300 hours)
Equine Vet Shadow (80 hours)
Large Animal Vet Shadow (30 hours)

Animal Experience:
Humane Society (300 hours)
Dog Walker (100 hours)

Research:
Student researcher in Equine Genetics lab (300 hours with university presentation)

Horse-back riding (since the age of 9)
Equestrian Club (co-captain)

Employment:
Barnes and Noble Bookseller (over one summer- 300 hours)

My LORs:
SA vet, UF Alumni
Undergrad advisor
Microbio professor

Hey there again, everyone!

I’ve been finalizing a lot of my future plans lately while waiting for the next application cycle, and I thought it might be nice to run my stats past you all and make sure there’s not any glaring issues. After all, there’s only 67 days until the app opens, and I’m not throwing away my shot!
(Yeahhh, I am a Hamilton fan.)

I am planning to apply to Michigan State (IS), North Carolina, Minnesota, and Purdue. Michigan State is currently my top pick - at this point I think I’d like to end up doing mostly production animal medicine.

Hours:
- animal hours (4,913 total):
- dairy farm (bovine): 728
- 4-H/fair: 700
- dairy cattle: 500
- poultry: 200
- dairy farm (caprine): 3480
- neuroscience research (rats): 5
- this just started and will continue through my senior year of undergrad
- vet hours (anticipated 1,165 total):
- small animal emergency: 28
- mixed animal: 504 plus anticipated 280 more this sumemr
- a lot of equine, dairy cattle, and small animal
- large animal: 3 plus anticipated 350 more this summer
Employment:
- herdsman/milker at goat dairy farm (3 years with some gaps because of school)
- veterinary assistant at mixed animal clinic (two summers)
Letters of recommendation: (still debating which people I will ask)
- history professor/faith mentor
- mixed animal vet (employer)
- large animal vet
- neuroscience professor/research head
- chaplain (oversaw me working as part of a team for a couple years)
GRE scores
- quant 160 (78th)
- verbal 170 (99th)
- writing 4.5 (80th)
GPA/Science GPA/Last 45/etc.

Is there anything specific I need to ameliorate or focus more on? Right now I’m just sort of twiddling my thumbs and vaguely dreading interviews.

Oops. A couple things I forgot because I can’t listen to music and type at the same time:

- just to clarify, I’m in my third year of undergrad.

- also under employment is music planner/leader for my campus chapel, as well as tutoring for Spanish.

- I volunteer on campus-led service projects over breaks and as part of the Food Recovery Network.

Alright, I think that’s it.

Oops. A couple things I forgot because I can’t listen to music and type at the same time:

- just to clarify, I’m in my third year of undergrad.

- also under employment is music planner/leader for my campus chapel, as well as tutoring for Spanish.

- I volunteer on campus-led service projects over breaks and as part of the Food Recovery Network.

Alright, I think that’s it.

Your grades are great, GRE is great (which I don’t think MSU looks at anymore btw) your experience is great, you’ll be fine.

Hi All! I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I am pretty nervous about whether I will get in.
I am a 21 yo female, MD resident, 1st time applicant.

Academics:

BS in Animal Science on a PreVet track (2019 graduation)

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.4
Last 45 GPA: 3.5

I have not taken the GRE yet.

Vet Experience:

Shadowed a SA vet (20 hours)
Veterinary receptionist for SA vet (~1500 hours)
Veterinary technician for a SA vet (~1500 hours and counting)
low cost S/N and shot clinic intern for low income households (~300 hours and counting) (I was recently made a manager of this clinic)
TNR clinic volunteer (12 hours)

Animal Experience:
Raised sheep (100 hours)
Horse Stable Hand (100 hours)
UPENN SummerVETS (40 hours)
Cat rescue volunteer (20 hours)

Leadership:
Undergraduate TA for Applied Animal Physiology

PreVet Society (3 years)
Volunteer Substitute teacher for my elementary school.
Volunteer office worker at my high school.
Student Teacher- High School Algebra

Employment:
Athletic club front desk manager (300 hours)
Musician for a Internationally recognized church (5 years)
Tutor for Middle School Algebra (100 hours)
Nanny (1000 hours)
Dog/Housesitter (8 years)-- I have been averaging about 2 dog sitting jobs/month for the past 2 yrs.

My LORs:
SA vet that I currently work for - UGA alum
SA vet that I have worked with at a previous clinic who is also the Medical Director for the SPCA
DVM/PHD immunologist that I am TAing for
SA/Navy Vet who owns the hospital that I work for

What really makes me nervous is my GPA. I have had to work all of my undergrad to be able to pay for gas to commute, etc and have averaged about 30 hours a week on top of ~17 credits per semester. I appreciate any feedback!

Hi All! I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I am pretty nervous about whether I will get in.
I am a 21 yo female, MD resident, 1st time applicant.

Academics:

BS in Animal Science on a PreVet track (2019 graduation)

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.4
Last 45 GPA: 3.5

I have not taken the GRE yet.

Vet Experience:

Shadowed a SA vet (20 hours)
Veterinary receptionist for SA vet (~1500 hours)
Veterinary technician for a SA vet (~1500 hours and counting)
low cost S/N and shot clinic intern for low income households (~300 hours and counting) (I was recently made a manager of this clinic)
TNR clinic volunteer (12 hours)

Animal Experience:
Raised sheep (100 hours)
Horse Stable Hand (100 hours)
UPENN SummerVETS (40 hours)
Cat rescue volunteer (20 hours)

Leadership:
Undergraduate TA for Applied Animal Physiology

PreVet Society (3 years)
Volunteer Substitute teacher for my elementary school.
Volunteer office worker at my high school.
Student Teacher- High School Algebra

Employment:
Athletic club front desk manager (300 hours)
Musician for a Internationally recognized church (5 years)
Tutor for Middle School Algebra (100 hours)
Nanny (1000 hours)
Dog/Housesitter (8 years)-- I have been averaging about 2 dog sitting jobs/month for the past 2 yrs.

My LORs:
SA vet that I currently work for - UGA alum
SA vet that I have worked with at a previous clinic who is also the Medical Director for the SPCA
DVM/PHD immunologist that I am TAing for
SA/Navy Vet who owns the hospital that I work for

What really makes me nervous is my GPA. I have had to work all of my undergrad to be able to pay for gas to commute, etc and have averaged about 30 hours a week on top of ~17 credits per semester. I appreciate any feedback!

Also forgot to mention that my top choice is VAMD, but I am also applying to Kansas, LMU, and Midwestern.

Also forgot to mention that my top choice is VAMD, but I am also applying to Kansas, LMU, and Midwestern.

You are right at the average GPA for accepted applicants at VA-MD. They also no longer require LOR’s or the GRE so those won’t matter either. The most important thing you can do is write good essays and make yourself stand out there. Your vet experiences are great! I think you have a good chance at getting an interview for VA-MD at least.

I am 23 years old, a first time applicant, from IL. I am super nervous about applying due to my low GPA. I plan on applying to IL (only because it is my in-state), Mizzou, Auburn, Mississippi State, and LSU. Really hoping to relocate to the southern US.
I started school with a pre-vet track but had some poor study habits and wasn't motivated. Just recently I have decided that I should continue doing what I originally set out to do because it is truly my passion. I am juggling school, work, and shadowing so it's a bit tough for me right now!

Academics:

Bachelor of Science - Animal Sciences (minor in Crop Sciences) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduated May 2016

GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: not sure how to calculate this?
Last 45 GPA: 3.7ish? It will change due to taking more classes.

I am a non-degree seeking student right now, and I am currently taking many extra courses and prereqs (right now: Orgo II, Immunology, Eng Comp II, upper level cell biology). I still need to take Biochem, Phys 1&2, and maybe some intro biology. I received a D+ in a low level course that I plan on retaking as well.

I am taking the GRE next week.

Vet Experience:

Swine vet (9 hours) - shadowed her for a day while working as a Research Specialist. She showed us how she walked through the barns and made diagnoses, and she also showed us how to perform necropsies and let me perform one with her guidance.
AAHA accredited small animal clinic (150 hours, so far) - Really great hands on experience at this clinic.
This summer and part of the fall I plan on shadowing A LOT at both this clinic and a large animal practice because I will be less crunched for time.

Animal Experience:
Foal Watch (36 hours)- course that involved monitoring mares during foaling season and report any foalings. Vets would come in and help. Great hands-on.
Humane Society (~200 hours) - Behavior Intern - conducted behavior assessments on dogs, did behavior training
UIUC Dairy Farm worker (~1,500 hours) - student worker (milking, feeding and caring for calves, fresh checks)
1,000 Cow Dairy Farm (~500 hours) - herdsperson - I bred cows, gave shots, monitored fresh cows
500 Cow Dairy Farm (~800 hours) - milker, treat cows, help diagnose problems

I also raise and train dogs for hunting competitions but wasn't sure if this would count?

Research Experience:
3,000 Cow Dairy Farm (~600 hours) - Undergraduate summer research project on calf health and corn silage processing
The Maschhoffs (~1,000 hours)- Research Specialist - wean to market genetics research on pigs

Extracurricular Experience:
UIUC Women's Hockey Team - Active member during undergrad, Treasurer, Fundraising chair
Dairy Challenge - Was on the team and competed in the Midwest competition a couple times.
Dairy Judging - Team member, participated in judging workouts and one contest

Miscellaneous:
Agriculture Chemical Company - Ag sales intern - this may not be animal/vet related, but I think my sales experience/experience working with people is a bonus.

Awards:
Dean's List for three semesters
Dairy Certificate for taking several Dairy Science classes
Outstanding Senior Scholar Award in Animal Sciences

My LORs:

SA vet at the clinic I shadow at
Undergrad professor/Academic (w/ a DVM!), who I had many courses and activities with, did my research project with his guidance
Dairy farmer who I have been working with for about a year now

What worries me is my low GPA and my lack of veterinary experience. I am hoping I can at least get my GPA up to a 3.5, minimum.
What makes me feel a bit better in my research and animal experience. However I realize these aren't as important.

Last edited:
I am 23 years old, a first time applicant, from IL. I am super nervous about applying due to my low GPA. I plan on applying to IL (only because it is my in-state), Mizzou, Auburn, Mississippi State, and LSU. Really hoping to relocate to the southern US.
I started school with a pre-vet track but had some poor study habits and wasn't motivated. Just recently I have decided that I should continue doing what I originally set out to do because it is truly my passion. I am juggling school, work, and shadowing so it's a bit tough for me right now!

Academics:

Bachelor of Science - Animal Sciences (minor in Crop Sciences) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduated May 2016

I am a non-degree seeking student right now, and I am currently taking many extra courses and prereqs (right now: Orgo II, Immunology, Eng Comp II, upper level cell biology). I still need to take Biochem, Phys 1&2, and maybe some intro biology. I received a D+ in a low level course that I plan on retaking as well.

Vet Experience:

Swine vet (9 hours) - shadowed her for a day while working as a Research Specialist. She showed us how she walked through the barns and made diagnoses, and she also showed us how to perform necropsies and let me perform one with her guidance.
AAHA accredited small animal clinic (150 hours, so far) - Really great hands on experience at this clinic.
This summer and part of the fall I plan on shadowing A LOT at both this clinic and a large animal practice because I will be less crunched for time.

Animal Experience:
Foal Watch (36 hours)- course that involved monitoring mares during foaling season and report any foalings. Vets would come in and help. Great hands-on.
Champaign County Humane Society (~200 hours) - Behavior Intern - conducted behavior assessments on dogs, did behavior training
UIUC Dairy Farm worker (~1,500 hours) - student worker (milking, feeding and caring for calves, fresh checks)
Jarden Farms Dairy (~500 hours) - herdsperson - I bred cows, gave shots, monitored fresh cows
S&B Dairy Farm (~800 hours) - milker, treat cows, help diagnose problems

I also raise and train dogs for hunting competitions but wasn't sure if this would count?

Research Experience:
Benton Dairy Farm (~600 hours) - Undergraduate summer research project on calf health and corn silage processing
The Maschhoffs (~1,000 hours)- Research Specialist - wean to market genetics research on pigs

UIUC Women's Hockey Team - Active member during undergrad, Treasurer, Fundraising chair
Dairy Challenge - Was on the team and competed in the Midwest competition a couple times.

Miscellaneous:
Helena Chemical Company - Ag sales intern - this may not be animal/vet related, but I think my sales experience/experience working with people is a bonus.

Awards:
Dairy Certificate for taking several Dairy Science classes through Mike Hutjens

My LORs:

Undergrad professor/Academic (w/ a DVM!), who I had many courses and activities with, did my research project with his guidance

What worries me is my low GPA and my lack of veterinary experience. I am hoping I can at least get my GPA up to a 3.5, minimum.
What makes me feel a bit better in my research and animal experience. However I realize these aren't as important.

LSU only looks at science GPA and last 45 so if you can bring those up even more that will help. Most schools have statistics on their website listing the average GPA of accepted applicants. Looking at that might make you feel better because the average GPA isn’t as high as you might think it would be. Your experience hours are low so getting more experience over the summer will be great- try to submit your app towards the end of the summer so you can include that experience and say that it is current. Hope this helps! These are just the things that stuck out to me while reading your post.

LSU only looks at science GPA and last 45 so if you can bring those up even more that will help. Most schools have statistics on their website listing the average GPA of accepted applicants. Looking at that might make you feel better because the average GPA isn’t as high as you might think it would be. Your experience hours are low so getting more experience over the summer will be great- try to submit your app towards the end of the summer so you can include that experience and say that it is current. Hope this helps! These are just the things that stuck out to me while reading your post.
Thank you!!! How many veterinary experience hours would you recommend, considering my timeframe? I was going to shoot for 500 total.

Thank you!!! How many veterinary experience hours would you recommend, considering my timeframe? I was going to shoot for 500 total.

I was accepted to Mizzou and LSU with around 500 hours, maybe more, I can’t remember exactly. But my GPA was higher than yours. I would shoot for as many hours as you can! If you have the time during this semester I would try to do some shadowing too- maybe with a large animal or equine vet to give you some diversity. Also, continue to gain experience even after you’ve submitted your app. If you don’t get in this time around, more experience will only help you for the next cycle!

Academics:

Graduated May 2016

Vet Experience:

Animal Experience:
Humane Society (~200 hours) - Behavior Intern - conducted behavior assessments on dogs, did behavior training
1,000 Cow Dairy Farm (~500 hours) - herdsperson - I bred cows, gave shots, monitored fresh cows
500 Cow Dairy Farm (~800 hours) - milker, treat cows, help diagnose problems

Research Experience:
3,000 Cow Dairy Farm (~600 hours) - Undergraduate summer research project on calf health and corn silage processing

Miscellaneous:
Agriculture Chemical Company - Ag sales intern - this may not be animal/vet related, but I think my sales experience/experience working with people is a bonus.

Awards:
Dairy Certificate for taking several Dairy Science classes

My LORs:

Uiuc doesnt factor gpa and gre into their final decisions. You just have to make it into phase 2 where they look at the rest of your app and then offer interviews and then admissions decisions are based on your app minus academics and your interview. I think you have a decent shot at making it to phase 2 and then they don’t look at your academics after that. My GPAs were around yours and I was offered an interview this year and last. And @greeneyegal92 i believe said hers were similar as well and she was accepted IS this year.

Uiuc doesnt factor gpa and gre into their final decisions. You just have to make it into phase 2 where they look at the rest of your app and then offer interviews and then admissions decisions are based on your app minus academics and your interview. I think you have a decent shot at making it to phase 2 and then they don’t look at your academics after that. My GPAs were around yours and I was offered an interview this year and last. And @greeneyegal92 i believe said hers were similar as well and she was accepted IS this year.
@catahoulas17
Ski does not tell a lie!! My overall GPA is 3.43, my last 45 is 3.65, and my science is 3.09. My GRE isn't so hot either!! My highlights are my vet hours and interview skills :) I was accepted to U of I, rejected at Mizzou, and waitlisted at LSU and Auburn. I would love to live in the south as well illinois is boring haha
But don't scoff at UIUC price and realistically being able to be accepted to a school are both very important! The trends aren't the same every year at a school, but the school's ideals don't change. Look into more options and don't be too bummed if southern living doesn't happen! You can be a vet anywhere even if you graduate in Illinois ;) Good luck!! :)

You are right at the average GPA for accepted applicants at VA-MD. They also no longer require LOR’s or the GRE so those won’t matter either. The most important thing you can do is write good essays and make yourself stand out there. Your vet experiences are great! I think you have a good chance at getting an interview for VA-MD at least.

....we don’t require LORs anymore? :eyebrow:

....we don’t require LORs anymore? :eyebrow:

What @SkiOtter said. My impression from Dr. Pelzer was that “looking at them” meant pretty much squat and submitting them won’t affect your application. I’ll refrain from giving my opinion on not asking for LORs...

@catahoulas17
Ski does not tell a lie!! My overall GPA is 3.43, my last 45 is 3.65, and my science is 3.09. My GRE isn't so hot either!! My highlights are my vet hours and interview skills :) I was accepted to U of I, rejected at Mizzou, and waitlisted at LSU and Auburn. I would love to live in the south as well illinois is boring haha
But don't scoff at UIUC price and realistically being able to be accepted to a school are both very important! The trends aren't the same every year at a school, but the school's ideals don't change. Look into more options and don't be too bummed if southern living doesn't happen! You can be a vet anywhere even if you graduate in Illinois ;) Good luck!! :)
You are making my feel a bit better! Congrats on your acceptance! I have been told that I interview very well by multiple folks so at least I'll have that going for me!

Currently on 4 waitlists (Western, Kansas, Oklahoma, LSU) all OOS, does anyone know how much of a chance I have getting in this cycle/has anyone been in this same position in the past and gotten in or had to reapply again?

Academics:
BS in Animal Science from UF, completed May 2017

GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.76 (I got a D+ in Chem freshman year due to poor studying habits and a high course load. I retook it and earned an A and continued to do well throughout my science classes)
Last 45 GPA: 3.95

GRE Scores:
V: 76th percentile
Q: 65th percentile (math is killer)
W: 90th Percentile

Vet Experience:
UF Small Animal Hospital (500 hours)
Equine Reproduction Center (300 hours)
Equine Vet Shadow (80 hours)
Large Animal Vet Shadow (30 hours)

Animal Experience:
Humane Society (300 hours)
Dog Walker (100 hours)

Research:
Student researcher in Equine Genetics lab (300 hours with university presentation)

Horse-back riding (since the age of 9)
Equestrian Club (co-captain)

Employment:
Barnes and Noble Bookseller (over one summer- 300 hours)

My LORs:
SA vet, UF Alumni
Undergrad advisor
Microbio professor

Forgot to say I’m a FL resident and hello to everyone!

Hello!

I am a non-traditional student (I graduated 4 years ago) and I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted to Texas A&M's vet school. I realize it is in the top 5 and highly competitive to get in. With that being said here are some of my qualifications.

Undergraduate education:
Radford University- Associates Biology 3.5 GPA
Virginia Tech- BS Animal Sciences, Chemistry minor 3.1 GPA
Cumulative Science GPA 3.3

Research experience:
-Radford University Ecophysiology Lab (1 credit hour)
-Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, Biomedical Sciences
Immunology Lab (9 credit hours)
-Virginia Tech Entomology Summer Research Assistant

Upon graduation:
I worked as a veterinary assistant and shadowed a DVM/Behaviorist for 1.5 years. (Well over 2000+ hours)

After working at a vet I decided to go back into research worked as a laboratory analyst at a biotechnology company (for 1 year).

Currently, I have moved to Texas and now work at another biotechnology company as a research assistant mainly working on technology with stem cells.

LOR's
2 practicing DVM's
CEO of my Biotech company
Previous professor I did my research under

As you can see I have extensive research experience and animal experience however, my GPA is quite low compared to the rest of the applicants. I have not yet taken the GRE but, I hope to very soon. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys!

I applied to 6 vet schools this cycle (Michigan State, Ohio State, Missouri, Illinois, NC State-IS, and Purdue) and was denied admission everywhere. I received an interview to Purdue but was not admitted. My science GPA is low due to 4 C's in Orgo 2, Physics 1, Genetics, and Microbio. My science GPA comes out to a 3.18, my last 45 credits is a 3.31 and my overall GPA is a 3.52. I was told that my GPA was just too low to compete but that retaking classes wouldn't do much to boost my GPA. I'm considering going to get my Masters in Animal Science since if I don't get into vet school, I'll need the degree anyway and it could boost my chance of being admitted. However, I was told by a professor that vet school's don't want to pull students out of Master Programs so I'd have to wait 2 years before I could apply and be considered again.

Is this true? Will there be any use in applying this upcoming cycle? Should I skip the masters and just gain more experience and apply one more time before getting a Masters?

Hi guys!

I applied to 6 vet schools this cycle (Michigan State, Ohio State, Missouri, Illinois, NC State-IS, and Purdue) and was denied admission everywhere. I received an interview to Purdue but was not admitted. My science GPA is low due to 4 C's in Orgo 2, Physics 1, Genetics, and Microbio. My science GPA comes out to a 3.18, my last 45 credits is a 3.31 and my overall GPA is a 3.52. I was told that my GPA was just too low to compete but that retaking classes wouldn't do much to boost my GPA. I'm considering going to get my Masters in Animal Science since if I don't get into vet school, I'll need the degree anyway and it could boost my chance of being admitted. However, I was told by a professor that vet school's don't want to pull students out of Master Programs so I'd have to wait 2 years before I could apply and be considered again.

Is this true? Will there be any use in applying this upcoming cycle? Should I skip the masters and just gain more experience and apply one more time before getting a Masters?

How many hours of experience of the different types do you currently have?
Also, MSU doesn’t care about your gpa beyond making sure you meet their minimum requirement of a 3.0. If you still were looking for a masters program, there ARE some one year masters out there, but I don’t know when the app deadlines are. Could also find some schools that replace the grade with the retaken grade instead of averaging the two and that would boost your GPA as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.