This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my interview invitation today! Good luck to everyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Where did you get the interview invite, again? I forgot where you applied (sorry... can't keep track of everyone). Congrats on the interview! I hope you rock it.

Tennessee. I am in state. It is the only school to which I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ladybear! I have been very fortunate in my consulting work the last decade. And I have been mostly reasonable with my spending, so it has all worked out. I have only applied to Tennessee, so I will know if I got an interview by the end of the week. Good luck to you as well.
I just had to say I laughed when I saw your user name in the "What are my chances" thread. Can't think of a more appropriate reply!

Reactions: 1 users
hello
came here hoping to get some advice

so right now my GPA is 3.66, junior at 4 year state school
the only science requirements I am missing are orgo 2 and biochem
and I haven't taken the GRE
but on plan on accomplishing these by the time I graduate (may 2015?)
my problem is that I have no animal/vet experience
I have called numerous vets
they either haven't called me back or have simply told me no I cant shadow because of insurance reasons.
I really need to start getting some hours since I am already a junior
anyone have any advice?
also would working/helping out at a tropical fish store mean anything? I know the people who own it and plan on asking them if they could help me out
thank you

hello

they either haven't called me back or have simply told me no I cant shadow because of insurance reasons.
anyone have any advice?
also would working/helping out at a tropical fish store mean anything? I know the people who own it and plan on asking them if they could help me out
thank you

Working in the fish store would count as animal experience, which is useful, but you need to focus on veterinary experience.

What precisely are you telling/asking vets when you're approaching them? It could be you just (luck of the draw) hit a few who are very sensitive to liability issues, or it could be that the language you're using is worrying them (like, if you're talking about getting hands on experience versus observing).

Where are you located?

In general, my advice would be to continue talking to vets. I suspect that you need to adjust what you're asking of them if you've talked to 'numerous' and none of them are open to it.

If you're near a large teaching hospital you may be able to get a volunteer position in one. That can look pretty good on an application.

Another alternative is to take a job at a clinic. You don't need experience to get a kennel assistant or equivalent type of job; you'll do a lot of cleaning, restocking, wrapping surgery packs, restraining, etc., but it all counts as veterinary experience and it's a foot in the door.

I would recommend wearing interview-type professional clothes and going in person. Then ask to speak to a veterinarian or clinic owner because you are a pre-veterinary student looking for experience for veterinary school. If you get a chance to speak with one, explain that you need experience hours. Also say that you completely understand their liability worries, and make it clear that you are looking to observe/shadow (rather than get hands-on experience). This would get my attention and make me think "ok, this person is serious".
Hands-on experience is something that would come later. Either the clinic would get comfortable enough that they would allow you to do some work, or they may like you enough to hire you as an employee.

In add'n to what Falina said, what I've always suggested to people is to not overwhelm the doc/clinic. Don't walk in and say "I'm looking for a weekly shadowing gig for the next year." Anyone sane would politely say "Um. No thanks. We don't take shadowers" .... Just ask them if you can come observe for one day. Be on your best behavior. Dress appropriately (ask them what to wear!!). Try to ask questions, but not get in the way. BE GRATEFUL, NO MATTER WHAT. At the end of the day if it's gone well, ask if you can come back for one more day. Work your way up from there.

My recommendation is to actually try to get a job as a kennel person. You'll be scrubbing poop off the inside of cages and doing a lot of manual labor, but I feel it's the best place to start if you want to work your way up in the field. The doctors I've worked for have all told me that they started out scooping poop as a teenager just like I did, and that it's a common beginning among the doctors who show the most appreciation to their staff.

Try getting a full time job over the entire summer and even a part time during the year. When you're there tell them you have an interest in eventually becoming a veterinarian and that you would enjoy being shown things by the doctors. Ask to be walked through x-rays, or called over to watch treatments or surgeries, or shown any slides they view on the microscope, or walked through chemistry profiles, etc. Chances are the doctor really enjoys one of those things and would be willing to pull you aside to learn. Eventually you might be able to go to another clinic and say you're an assistant who used to work at clinic XYZ and that you'd like to shadow at this clinic to learn how to become a doctor. It will likely be easier since you've earned your stripes as an assistant and don't come across as someone who's trying to jump to the top (lazy).

I would also recommend getting small animal experience before large animal. Not knowing what you're doing around small animals might get you roughed up a bit, but doing the same around large animals can get you killed. I don't know how much animal contact you've had in general but know your limits and don't be afraid to say you don't know what you're doing. It's much worse to be seen restraining an animal completely wrong than to ask how to do it.

I guess my last bit of advice is to really focus on getting these hours. You'll be applying against people with veterinary hours in the thousands. It also helps to have experiences from several places, which is hard to do in a short period of time. So stay motivated and take every opportunity you can find.

Hello! I am currently a freshman at my local university and I just finished my first semester. While I do not have all the stats to have my chances accurately assessed, I would love to hear what you guys think of my projected chances (from the information that I CAN supply)

I finished my first semester with a 4.0 GPA (I took Gen Bio, Gen Chem 1, Precalc, and Composition)

I have been in 4-H since I have been in fifth grade and have several state and national 4-H awards in veterinary science and horse project areas (horse bowl and public speaking)

Shadowed and assisted horse trainer 1,100+ hours throughout middle and high school (I have worked with this trainer since I was in 5th grade, have leased horses from her, and shown the local circuit horse shows with her barn)

Interned at small animal vet clinic 160+ hours

Currently have a job at the same vet clinic as a kennel attendant/vet assistant and in the last 9 months I have accumulated around 300 hours

Observed equine dentistry, farrier work, lameness exams, and have de-wormed and administered bute on several occasions (I would say I have around 30+ hours in these activities)

I am traveling to Africa this summer to do self-created biology research projects alongside professors and other students

I was extremely involved in high school (swim team captain, president of NHS, Key Club, held several Student Council positions, and graduated valedictorian of my class) I plan to get involved at my university - but I have so far only joined the Pre-Vet club and the Wildlife Society

Taking all of this into consideration, what do you think I can start working on to improve my chances of getting accepted? If I can keep up the hard work, do my chances look good?

Last edited:
Hello! I am currently a freshman at my local university and I just finished my first semester. While I do not have all the stats to have my chances accurately assessed, I would love to hear what you guys think of my projected chances (from the information that I CAN supply)

I finished my first semester with a 4.0 GPA (I took Gen Bio, Gen Chem 1, Precalc, and Composition)

I have been in 4-H since I have been in fifth grade and have several state and national 4-H awards in veterinary science and horse project areas (horse bowl and public speaking)

Shadowed and assisted horse trainer 1,100+ hours throughout middle and high school (I have worked with this trainer since I was in 5th grade, have leased horses from her, and shown the local circuit horse shows with her barn)

Interned at small animal vet clinic 160+ hours

Currently have a job at the same vet clinic as a kennel attendant/vet assistant and in the last 9 months I have accumulated around 300 hours

Observed equine dentistry, farrier work, lameness exams, and have de-wormed and administered bute on several occasions (I would say I have around 30+ hours in these activities)

I am traveling to Africa this summer to do self-created biology research projects alongside professors and other students

I was extremely involved in high school (swim team captain, president of NHS, Key Club, held several Student Council positions, and graduated valedictorian of my class) I plan to get involved at my university - but I have so far only joined the Pre-Vet club and the Wildlife Society

Taking all of this into consideration, what do you think I can start working on to improve my chances of getting accepted? If I can keep up the hard work, do my chances look good?
I would think that you're on the right track, for sure! You're getting good grades, veterinary experience, animal experience, etc. If you keep this up, do well on your GRE, and get good LORs, you would be a very competitive applicant. The only thing I may suggest is that you try to get experience in other areas - wildlife, LA, marine... And stay involved in things non-animal related to show your interest in other areas of life.

I wish I could go back in time and rock my undergrad like some of you youngins! :sigh:

Not knowing what you're doing around small animals might get you roughed up a bit, but doing the same around large animals can get you killed.

It's true that large-animal docs are more at risk, but please don't understate the potential injuries from small animals - it goes way, way beyond "roughed up". I've known someone who suffered an major facial injury when attacked by a canine patient. She required multiple reconstructive efforts and was left with permanent disfigurement.

I'm not trying to play a "which is more dangerous" game (large animal docs easily have the highest rate of injury) - my point is that you can't be any more complacent around small animals than large animals. They all have the potential to cause SERIOUS damage. And just because I'm less likely to be outright 'killed' by a cat doesn't mean that I'm ok losing an eye to one.

So... ya know... stay safe. (FWIW, I shadowed a large-animal doc before small animal. But then, I worked a farm as a teenager, too.)

It's true that large-animal docs are more at risk, but please don't understate the potential injuries from small animals - it goes way, way beyond "roughed up". I've known someone who suffered an major facial injury when attacked by a canine patient. She required multiple reconstructive efforts and was left with permanent disfigurement.

I'm not trying to play a "which is more dangerous" game (large animal docs easily have the highest rate of injury) - my point is that you can't be any more complacent around small animals than large animals. They all have the potential to cause SERIOUS damage. And just because I'm less likely to be outright 'killed' by a cat doesn't mean that I'm ok losing an eye to one.

So... ya know... stay safe. (FWIW, I shadowed a large-animal doc before small animal. But then, I worked a farm as a teenager, too.)

I agree with this. I know a vet that was bit on the hand and needed major surgery to repair the damage, she lost function in her hand for about 6 months after that. I was bit by a cat on the finger (really a minor bite to be honest) but the swelling afterwards rendered that finger and basically that hand functionless for a good 2 months. A dog or cat bite or scratch can inflict serious damage and subsequent infections from such could easily kill a person, so don't underestimate them. Obviously a kicking horse or cow poses a massive danger as well, but don't underestimate the fact that a dog could cause you to lose a finger, hand, eye, or even just lose function and as vets we need our hands and fingers to be able to do our job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that you're on the right track, for sure! You're getting good grades, veterinary experience, animal experience, etc. If you keep this up, do well on your GRE, and get good LORs, you would be a very competitive applicant. The only thing I may suggest is that you try to get experience in other areas - wildlife, LA, marine... And stay involved in things non-animal related to show your interest in other areas of life.

I wish I could go back in time and rock my undergrad like some of you youngins! :sigh:

Thank you so much for the advice! I am planning on working on expanding my animal experiences in the next three years (possibly volunteering at a buffalo farm and volunteering with the DNR helping to age deer at deer check stations) I hadn't given much thought about working with marine animals... but that would be a really neat experience! I'll have to check out some options! Thanks again for all of your help :)

I've been kind of lurking for a while but I've finally got up the courage to post here. My gpa has me very worried and honestly I've been thinking about giving up on veterinary medicine because my chances of getting into vet school seem so slim. I'm really just hoping for other opinions, maybe some advice, and realistically what I my chances are. Anything you can give me is appreciated. Anyways, here goes nothing, if I do apply it would be next cycle and due to financial reasons I wouldn't be applying outside of the country.

Major: Double major in Animal Science and Biology with minors in equine science and endocrine physiology and health
GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: I'm not 100% sure but probably a little lower
Last 45 hours: probably 3.5-3.6
-Most of my bad grades have unfortunately been in chemistry classes (orgo, and general chemistry with one bad grade in calc 2). But I have done well in all of my upper level biology classes with the exception of a B in animal nutrition and a B+ in genetics if that means anything. I've looked into retaking orgo or general chemistry but my school doesn't allow it without special permission from the department. And my school averages the grade in instead of replacing it if you do retake a class so I'm thinking I'd be better off taking more upper level biology/animal science classes and trying to do well in those. Am I completely off base on that?
-I also have 118 credits so my cumulative GPA probably won't move too much...I think the most I can move it is up to a 3.4

GRE: Haven't taken it yet. I'm planning on taking it in over spring break and then again over the summer if I don't do well.

Veterinary experience:
205 hours SA and exotics general practice (will be more by next year)
-I've only worked with one SA vet which I know isn't ideal but I have a paid position there and I can't afford to give that up
210 hours with an equine vet (will be more by next year)
-As of now I've only worked with one equine vet but I should be observing an equine surgeon once or twice over break and shadowing another equine vet a little over the summer.
234 hours research involving horses (will be more after winter break)

-I'm also hoping to get some experience with a zoo animal veterinarian this summer

Animal experience:
600 hours volunteering at a therapeutic riding facility
2 years (not sure how many hours) working on barn staff at that same facility
3 years (again not sure exactly how many hours...probably about 1000) working at a different therapeutic riding facility taking care of the horses, schooling horses, and teaching lessons
96 hours of an equine practicum course
100 hours of a dairy cow practicum course
35 hours of dairy cow fitting and handling course
25 hours supervising an equine fitting and handling course
30 hours goat fitting and handling course
Horse ownership- 7 years (they're not boarded so I'm responsibly for all aspects of their care)
Horseback riding- 10 years
Pet ownership (dogs, cats, rabbits, tortoise) my entire life (I know that doesn't really count)

Extracurricular Activities
Ballroom dance team
T.A for systems physiology
Certified therapeutic riding instructor (working with disabled children and conducting disability awareness training for new volunteers)

-I know my list of extracurricular activities is sort of pathetic. :(

Letters of Recommendation:
-Small animal veterinarian (should be strong)
-Equine veterinarian (should be fairly good)
-Equine science/equine nutrition professor (should be strong)
-Professor I did research with (should be very strong)

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated and any comments on my odds would be enormously helpful. Basically, at this point I'm wondering if it is worth pursuing veterinary medicine and applying to vet school or if my GPA will drag me down too far.

I've been kind of lurking for a while but I've finally got up the courage to post here. My gpa has me very worried and honestly I've been thinking about giving up on veterinary medicine because my chances of getting into vet school seem so slim.

Your GPA isn't going to win any awards at vet school admissions offices, but it's also not going to raise eyebrows in a bad way. I wouldn't feel bad about it; if you have a well-rounded and well-written application there's nothing obvious to suggest you wouldn't be competitive.

Honestly if it were me I wouldn't look to retake anything. An overall 3.34 with a last-45 of 3.5-3.6 just doesn't strike me as bad. You may need to 'target' your application for schools that you have a better chance at getting into, but really, that's true of most people.

The problem with this thread is always that none of us can give you much more than a "you seem on track" or "you seem really deficient in X." With your info, I think you can be competitive.

Use all the tricks in the book to get a good grade on the GRE. Lots of sleep the night before, read through the math prep book and work through some of the problems (it felt like going back to high school for me). Etc.

Your list of EC activities isn't pathetic. TA'ing is notable, working with therapy horses is notable.

The one thing you really need is some confidence. :) You're on track - just keep pushing! If you get in first time around, awesome. If not, keep going.

I've been kind of lurking for a while but I've finally got up the courage to post here. My gpa has me very worried and honestly I've been thinking about giving up on veterinary medicine because my chances of getting into vet school seem so slim. I'm really just hoping for other opinions, maybe some advice, and realistically what I my chances are. Anything you can give me is appreciated. Anyways, here goes nothing, if I do apply it would be next cycle and due to financial reasons I wouldn't be applying outside of the country.

LIS has made all excellent points. Your GPAs are not stellar, but they're not horrible, either. You will need to work harder than an applicant with a 3.8, but then again...admissions are kind of weird, so you never know. Definitely don't count yourself out! I have the same cGPA at a 3.34, and a 3.14 science, so I know how hopeless the whole application process can feel. That said, I was granted an interview at the one school I applied to (my IS), so it can be done with less-than-stellar grades! I made sure to make my application shine in other ways--thousands of hours of varied veterinary and animal experience, a robust life outside of school, a strong personal statement, and I've proven that I'm interested in a different field of vet med by pursuing a Master's in Epidemiology (and doing well in those courses). So, keep trucking!

Also, I don't know if any schools require more than 3 references, so I would go with quality over quantity and only pick LORs that you know will be strong/very strong, as opposed to " good." :)

Good luck!

Thanks LetIsSnow and epivetlove. :) I'm also worried because I don't have an IS school. But I usually do well on standardized tests so I'm hoping if I really study for the GRE that can help me a little and I'm trying to spend this year really varying my veterinary and animal experience. Epivetlove, I've been looking into applying to grad schools as well as vet schools as a back-up...how did you decide what to get your Master's in? Thank you so much again for the replies. :)

Epivetlove, I've been looking into applying to grad schools as well as vet schools as a back-up...how did you decide what to get your Master's in? Thank you so much again for the replies. :)

I have always been interested in diseases, how they spread, and how to prevent them (and vet med in general)...but it wasn't until we had units on epidemiology in Wildlife Diseases and Microbiology that it really clicked for me. I made a lot of mistakes in undergrad and struggled with anxiety issues, so my grades suffered. A graduate program gave me the chance to prove I was committed to doing well in school and that I could pull off good grades in science courses, as well as giving me the opportunity to grow more and gain a better understanding of epidemiology and public health and how it relates to vet med. :) it is my firm belief that a graduate program should be undertaken only if you're actually interested in furthering your education and not just looking to raise your GPA. That's just my opinion.

Epivetlove, that sounds really interseting! If I took on a graduate program I would be looking to actually do something with it other than raise my GPA. I've been taken some endocrinology, neuroendocrinology, and physiology classes and truly love the material which is what got me thinking about graduate school. How did you go about choosing graduate schools to apply to? I've been looking at some pathobiology programs but from what I can see so far, it seems the exact requirements and application process in general seems less clear cut than it is for vet schools. Although that could just be because I've spent so much time these past few years researching different vet schools and I've only recently started considering grad school as an option.

I wanted to stay in Texas, so I looked for programs in the state. Epidemiology falls under the realm of Public Health, so I applied through SOPHAS (similar to VMCAS). Applying for a doctoral program was way different. I researched professors and departments that matched my interests, then contacted each professor to ask if they had available funding to take on a student. Those that did, I applied through the school's application service and prayed I was good enough, haha. Sometimes you have to poke around. Generally the steps are outlined on the department's page. If all else fails, email the graduate admissions office for help.

Pathobiology! If I don't get accepted to vet school this cycle, I'll be transferring to the veterinary pathobiology department at the CVM. Exciting stuff! :)

hello

anyone have any advice?
thank you

I just got into vet school based mostly on my experience. I know a large number of vet schools will not even consider an applicant without experience. Now as to how to get experience that is another story. I did hiring for a vet clinic. One idea is to volunteer at a shelter, and get a job at that shelter. Most vet clinics will not take someone based on volunteering but working at one is another story. Good luck to you!

Hello everyone,

I submitted my application this cycle but will likely reapply next year so I was looking for input on where to improve :)

24 yo female, CA resident, AA, BS in Biological Sciences

Made the switch from pre-med to pre-vet during senior year so I didn't have any veterinary experience prior to 1.5 year ago.

cGPA 3.49 sGPA 3.13 GRE 155 V/ 154 Q/ 3.5

Vet Experience: 966 hrs

Exotic/SA Hospital: 24 hrs
Zoo: 26 hrs
SA hospital: 845 hrs
SA hospital: 50 hours

Animal Experience:
630 hrs

Horse therapeutic riding facility: 15 hrs
Shelter dog walker: 10 hrs
Scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef: 24 hrs
Stable hand at farm: 260 hrs
Pet sitting/ walking service: 320 hrs

Research: 500 hrs

Regeneration research: 500 hrs

Employement:

Figure skating coach.
Tutor
Sub shop

Other activities:

Buddhist Association treasurer, secretary and became offered the president position- 1 year
Chicanos/Latinos for Community Medicine secretary-6 months
Hospital and clinic volunteer- 110 hours
Shadowing GI surgeon- 50 hours
Certified nurse assistant
Biological Sciences Club Treasurer- 1 year
Bodybuilding, running, yoga, snowboarding
Competed at Junior Nationals in figure skating.
Figure skater for 12 years.

PS

It highlights on how I always knew I wanted to be a vet but was put into figure skating at three. Figure skating was one of the reasons my family immigrated to the US when I was nine and I pursued it until I got injured. This was devastating to me and I was a little lost for some time until my brothers passing right before high school graduation. This along with familial and monetary pressures pushed me to attempt pre-med even though my heart was never in it. I finally decided to stand up for myself and what I truly believed in and here I am. The end emphasizes how I want to contribute to vet med, how it allowed me to become myself, and how it provided me with a home which I felt I never had before.

eLORs
Assistant Vet as SA hospital
PI from research
Vet at SA hospital

More than likely I will be reapplying this year since this cycle the one school I really want to go to has me waitlisted.

For the next cycle I will have boosted my GPA as I will retake some classes I got C's in and will still be taking some additional classes. Hopefully should get it near 3.6 by next winter.

I will be doing more research. I have really enjoyed research since starting it and am contemplating either applying for a DVM/PhD or doing the DVM then doing the PhD after. I would love to hear some advice on this.

Would like to apply to: Davis, Western, UPenn, Georgia, Texas

Any feedback appreciated thanks!

PS
It highlights on how I always knew I wanted to be a vet but was put into figure skating at three. Figure skating was one of the reasons my family immigrated to the US when I was nine and I pursued it until I got injured. This was devastating to me and I was a little lost for some time until my brothers passing right before high school graduation. This along with familial and monetary pressures pushed me to attempt pre-med even though my heart was never in it. I finally decided to stand up for myself and what I truly believed in and here I am. The end emphasizes how I want to contribute to vet med, how it allowed me to become myself, and how it provided me with a home which I felt I never had before.

Overall your application looks solid to me. I haven't read your PS, but from the way you describe it, I would be careful to focus on vet med. Even though it sounds like there was a lot going on in your life, it still has to tie strongly into why you believe vet med is the right place for you, not just a small paragraph tacked onto the end to bring it back on topic.

More than likely I will be reapplying this year since this cycle the one school I really want to go to has me waitlisted.

Do you mean that you will re-apply only if that particular school doesn't accept you? I was in a somewhat similar position (only had one school to choose from and it was last on my list) and in retrospect, I'm glad that I made the decision to attend despite that. If this isn't what you meant, disregard :)

Thanks LetIsSnow and epivetlove. :) I'm also worried because I don't have an IS school. But I usually do well on standardized tests so I'm hoping if I really study for the GRE that can help me a little and I'm trying to spend this year really varying my veterinary and animal experience. Epivetlove, I've been looking into applying to grad schools as well as vet schools as a back-up...how did you decide what to get your Master's in? Thank you so much again for the replies. :)
u should try to apply as a wiche candidate...certain schools have contracts with states that don't have their own vet school and have a certain number of spots open just for people from that state

u should try to apply as a wiche candidate...certain schools have contracts with states that don't have their own vet school and have a certain number of spots open just for people from that state

Thanks for the reply. :) Unfortunately my school doesn't have any contract seats. They had a contract with Cornell a really long time ago but that ended and I think they also had one with UPenn but that was also before I started. :(

@epivetlove were the professors you reached out to about graduate programs mostly helpful and did you have a lot of undergraduate research experience in that area before applying? I've only worked extensively in 2 labs so far and both were with horses. I'm trying to get into another lab that focuses on neuroendocrinology or endocrinology/physiology but I'm not sure I'll be able to make that happen for the spring semester. Would that hinder me if I chose to apply for a graduate program?

Were the professors you reached out to about graduate programs mostly helpful and did you have a lot of undergraduate research experience in that area before applying? I've only worked extensively in 2 labs so far and both were with horses. I'm trying to get into another lab that focuses on neuroendocrinology or endocrinology/physiology but I'm not sure I'll be able to make that happen for the spring semester. Would that hinder me if I chose to apply for a graduate program?

I had very little research before applying (maybe around 50 or so hours working on a project dealing with CWD). Every school--every department--will be different. Many professors were intrigued by my background (wildlife + epidemiology), impressed by grades and coursework in my Masters, and simply had funding available to take on a motivated student with interest in research. Know what you're interested in studying, what research projects you'd be happy doing for 2 years (Masters) or 3-4+ years (PhD), and find schools that can match those interests. :)

I had very little research before applying (maybe around 50 or so hours working on a project dealing with CWD). Every school--every department--will be different. Many professors were intrigued by my background (wildlife + epidemiology), impressed by grades and coursework in my Masters, and simply had funding available to take on a motivated student with interest in research. Know what you're interested in studying, what research projects you'd be happy doing for 2 years (Masters) or 3-4+ years (PhD), and find schools that can match those interests. :)
So do you think it would be possible to go straight to PhD without doing a Masters first or if you don't already have a ton of research under your belt would it be necessary to get a Masters? Also, I'm trying to get into some different labs (all my experience has been sort of similar though with different professors) but I'm afraid I'm a little late. Did you decide what your research interest was just based on course work and interest in the subject or would you recommend trying to work in different labs to get practical experience before making a decision? Sorry to keep bothering you epivetlove and thanks for being so helpful! I just wish I had considered back up plans in case I don't get in a little sooner. :/

So do you think it would be possible to go straight to PhD without doing a Masters first or if you don't already have a ton of research under your belt would it be necessary to get a Masters? Also, I'm trying to get into some different labs (all my experience has been sort of similar though with different professors) but I'm afraid I'm a little late. Did you decide what your research interest was just based on course work and interest in the subject or would you recommend trying to work in different labs to get practical experience before making a decision? Sorry to keep bothering you epivetlove and thanks for being so helpful! I just wish I had considered back up plans in case I don't get in a little sooner. :/
A graduate degree is a big decision- especially if you decide to take the plunge and go all the way for a PhD. I entered a highly competitive PhD program directly out of undergrad without a Master's Degree. I had extensive research experience prior to starting that I had acquired at my undergraduate institution (I worked in the same laboratory for 3 years), as well as via extramural institutions for which I had received federal grant funding (I wrote and received the grants). I already had published papers as an undergraduate.

When I arrived in grad school, I was in for the biggest shock of my life. It was nothing at all like the research experiences I had encountered previously. My adviser showed me the lab, and basically said, 'have at it, kid.' He was a very hands-off mentor, being what I would term as an 'academic rock-star' (very political, editor in-chief of a field-specific journal, chair of the IACUC, etc.). I had moved cross-country to work specifically under this individual, and rotations were not a part of my graduate program. Needless to say, graduate school was a very, very tough slog. My adviser was an excellent mentor when it came to things like professional networking, academic writing, grantsmanship, and learning to think/problem solve like a scientist. However, when it came to the day to day drudgery of getting the work done, troubleshooting equipment, troubleshooting almost anything, that he wasn't around for. Don't underestimate how difficult 'the everyday slog' can be. Troubleshooting your system can take months- just to work out one kink. Experience this problem over, and over, and over again- it can make you want to rip your hair out, especially when the individual you hoped to be 'learning the craft from' just simply isn't to be found. From someone who has been through the process previously, let me tell you first hand this is a very difficult way to make it through your doctoral degree. My PhD project took 3 years of methods development alone- before the data collection even began. Epivetlove- 3-4 years is a VERY conservative estimate of completion time. That's incredibly fast- no one in my program finished in 4 years.

I ended up exiting my PhD in my eighth year of the program. I exited with a Master's Degree. There's a lot I could tell you about graduate education, but this isn't the forum for this. I will, however, provide this advice. I strongly suggest against entering a graduate program unless you are A) Very interested in pursuing a career related to research [as either a primary or secondary option] B) Know the specialty you want to pursue. I was able to answer both of these questions before I entered my graduate program. In fact, I'm still in love my graduate discipline- Comparative Physiology. I am returning to veterinary school specifically to pursue clinical training in laboratory animal medicine to maintain my ties in research. Although I departed grad school with a Master's, I've stayed with the industry. I've worked in the private sector and academia since my departure.

Going into graduate school cold is a tough, tough slog- especially without a strong foundation in research principles before hand (don't do it). Also, graduate school just isn't a comparative experience between students. It's not like veterinary school. You don't take the NAVLE and gain the 'seal of approval' to practice as a scientist. Some students' experiences are hellish, whereas others are less than so. Entering grad school should not be a decision made lightly. If your heart isn't in it- and in it fully- chances of success are very low. To know if your heart is in it, acquire some hefty experience in research before diving in. Figure out your area of interest before committing at that level. You'll be grateful you did. Choosing a graduate program based upon what your interest was in undergrad classwork is a big mistake- fine to get you interested in a subject, but not for committing for the next several years of your life. No PI in my grad program would have taken on a student without substantial research experience under their belt prior to beginning their grad program.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello I've recently interviewed at Ohio State (my in-state and the only school I have applied to) and while waiting I am making myself more nervous each day lol (last year was a disappointment after applying). This year I took my interview from last year and turned it into a learning experience for this year, I updated myself on all of the important matters in the veterinary field, found a way to keep myself relaxed and professional, and I made sure that I had a good response to any question they could ask me, I feel that it went pretty well, but for those of you that have been accepted or are currently in school I was wondering how my stats compare to an accepted student, and maybe an answer I receive will relax me lol thanks!

GPA after graduation: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.80
Degree: B.S in Biological Life Sciences Private School
G.R.E: around 50th percentile Verbal, Quan. 75th percentile for Writing

2-years experience as a veterinary intern for a small animal hospital (1,000+ hours)
5-years experience working at an educational farm for inner city children taking care of different large-animal breeds
4+ years experience working with equine (riding, ownership, boarding facility care)

and for the past year I have been working in research as a laboratory animal technician and overall research assistant (heavily involved with breeding, genotyping, tissue collection, surgery performance, and daily care of laboratory mice strains, along with the performance of immuno-staining, cell culture, PCR and WB experiments)

The big thing that got me last year was being unprepared for my interview, and a lack of experience in the vet field. If you have any advice or any encouraging words to help me through this next month that would be great. Thanks!

If you have any advice or any encouraging words to help me through this next month that would be great. Thanks!

Usually, if you get an interview in the first place, and the interview goes well, you're probably fine. You make it sound like this is the case.

You have enough experience hours, nothing to worry about there.
Your GPA is fine, mine was lower than that and now I go to vet school.
GRE is a bit low, but not low enough to devalue the rest of your application. As long as Ohio doesn't weigh GRE super heavily (more than 30%) it shouldn't be a problem. That being said, if your GRE score was low enough to cause you problems, you wouldn't have gotten an interview, yet here you are.

I did not apply to Ohio, but I did have similar stats to yours and got into five other places. I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

Hey all, I'm expecting to be rejected (I know, Ms. Negative has entered the building) from the last two schools I haven't heard from yet. So I figured I'd post here to get some solid suggestions on what I could do to improve. I am using the OP's format...so if any more info is needed just ask! Also, please tag me in any replies so I don't miss them! Thank you!

21, female, Michigan resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Zoology this May, Michigan State University
-concentration in Zoo and Aquarium Science

Cum GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.49 overall, 2.91 at Iowa
(This calculations do not include this past fall, in which I performed poorly...)

Veterinary Experience:
- about 700 hours experience SA, both receptionist and vet assistant
-about 110 hours at a wildlife rehab facility

Animal Experience:
- about 40 hours showing horses and dairy (novice level)
-230 hours at the Detroit Zoo caring for the amphibian collection (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)
-about 30 hours raising broiler chickens from chicks. Fully designed their diet using a computer program as well. (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)

Research:
-about 60+ hours designing and completing a research project for a class (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)
-about 300+ hours assisting in animal welfare research for the Detroit Zoo (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)

Employment:
-Full time child care for two summers
-Student supervisor at a campus dining hall (3 years)

Letters of Recommendation
-MSU Professor/adviser
-Wildlife rehab vet
-SA vet I currently work for
-Chief vet at zoo
-Asst. manager at dining hall

GRE:
158 verbal; 154 quant.

My concerns:
-I think it's pretty obvious I'm the average applicant. Maybe even a little less so. Any ideas on how to stand out?
-I wrote about my father coming down with some serious illnesses throughout my college career in my explanation statement. I regret this and feel like I sounded like I was making excuses for not having a good GPA. Is this something I should leave out in my next cycle? It truly did have an affect on my performance though.
-I am definitely lacking in the experience portion. Any tips of getting a LA vet to actually respond to calls/emails?
-I stopped going to the wildlife rehab facility because I truly did not like it. Should I go back anyways just to get hours?
-I am stuck on whether or not I should retake pre-reqs or try to get a master's. I have no idea on the application process for a master's either...I'd like to go into Animal Nutrition for that degree.

I am applying this year to: Michigan State, UF, Illinois, Ohio, and Iowa. Rejected so far at the last three listed. (I made it through the academic round at Illinois).

Animal Experience:
- about 40 hours showing horses and dairy (novice level)
-230 hours at the Detroit Zoo caring for the amphibian collection (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)
-about 30 hours raising broiler chickens from chicks. Fully designed their diet using a computer program as well. (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)
Research:
-about 60+ hours designing and completing a research project for a class (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)
-about 300+ hours assisting in animal welfare research for the Detroit Zoo (put on explanation statement since it was for school credit)

@pinkpuppy9 Was your animal and research experience at the Detroit Zoo a specific requirement for your classes or did you receive school credit for them in a individualized/independent study/research class? It was my understanding that if it was something like an internship or a personal research project, its fine to list it under animal or research experience. The pre vet advisor at my school advised us that listing lab activities was even okay as long as you don't list too many labs. Did someone advise you to list your activities in the explanation statement? I am obviously not on an admissions committee, but that seems like an area that reviewers may skip over or skim?
Your stats seem pretty good, at least they are similar to mine. I hope you get good news from the other schools you applied to. I'm waiting to hear from UF as well.

Hey all, I'm expecting to be rejected (I know, Ms. Negative has entered the building) from the last two schools I haven't heard from yet. So I figured I'd post here to get some solid suggestions on what I could do to improve. I am using the OP's format...so if any more info is needed just ask! Also, please tag me in any replies so I don't miss them! Thank you!

What is your pre-req GPA? You could (and maybe you were; I'm not familiar with those individual school applications processes) be selective about applying at schools where the GPAs they use will maximize what you have to work with.... (i.e. pick schools that don't do a general 'science' GPA).

There's a bunch of cool stuff in your application. Some of those letters are from pretty neat/interesting places. Full time child care shows an ability to manage responsibility. You also have more variety than a lot of people (including me); for instance, I had zero research experience.

I don't think you need to do anything special to stand out; just be confident and take credit for what you've done. Obviously you don't want to be cocky, but this isn't a time to downplay your participation in something.

An issue with a serious illness in the family is real, and worth mentioning, but you're right that it can sound wrong. I wouldn't necessarily leave it out, though. What I would do is have at least 3-4 people them assess your application. Ask them "does this sound whiny or like I'm making excuses"? It's a tough balancing act when you're talking about challenges you faced. Generally, the key is in demonstrating a) how you overcame it, b) that it won't impact future performance, and c) not sounding like you feel like "it's not my fault I got the grades I got".

One comment about other people assessing your application and PS: There's a bunch of us on SDN that will review (or did in the past; I've quit) PSs. That's all great 'n stuff. But people really need to recruit readers from a variety of backgrounds. Have a professor review it. Have a family friend review it. Find someone in HR at a place you worked and ask them to review it. Try and get a blend of ages and backgrounds so that you get as many different 'biases' looking at your PS. I've talked to all sorts of people who said "Well, I had a bunch of people read it" and then I find out it was just a bunch of their friends ... big deal. That's not the type of person that will be reading applications, so while it's still better than nothing ... people can get better feedback by branching out.

@pinkpuppy9 Was your animal and research experience at the Detroit Zoo a specific requirement for your classes or did you receive school credit for them in a individualized/independent study/research class? It was my understanding that if it was something like an internship or a personal research project, its fine to list it under animal or research experience. The pre vet advisor at my school advised us that listing lab activities was even okay as long as you don't list too many labs. Did someone advise you to list your activities in the explanation statement? I am obviously not on an admissions committee, but that seems like an area that reviewers may skip over or skim?
Your stats seem pretty good, at least they are similar to mine. I hope you get good news from the other schools you applied to. I'm waiting to hear from UF as well.
My internship was a graduation requirement, so yes it was for credit. It was a 'class' on its own. VMCAS advised me to "Use my best judgement" when deciding whether or not to list school-related experiences on my explanation statement or the Experiences section. I think that VMCAS needs to find a better way to explain that though...because my interpretation from the various VMCAS calls I made was that it is inappropriate to list credit-based experiences anywhere but the explanation statement. However, reading what other students have done, it looks like everyone entered their experiences differently. Do you think I ended up shortchanging myself?
What is your pre-req GPA? You could (and maybe you were; I'm not familiar with those individual school applications processes) be selective about applying at schools where the GPAs they use will maximize what you have to work with.... (i.e. pick schools that don't do a general 'science' GPA).

There's a bunch of cool stuff in your application. Some of those letters are from pretty neat/interesting places. Full time child care shows an ability to manage responsibility. You also have more variety than a lot of people (including me); for instance, I had zero research experience.

I don't think you need to do anything special to stand out; just be confident and take credit for what you've done. Obviously you don't want to be cocky, but this isn't a time to downplay your participation in something.

An issue with a serious illness in the family is real, and worth mentioning, but you're right that it can sound wrong. I wouldn't necessarily leave it out, though. What I would do is have at least 3-4 people them assess your application. Ask them "does this sound whiny or like I'm making excuses"? It's a tough balancing act when you're talking about challenges you faced. Generally, the key is in demonstrating a) how you overcame it, b) that it won't impact future performance, and c) not sounding like you feel like "it's not my fault I got the grades I got".

One comment about other people assessing your application and PS: There's a bunch of us on SDN that will review (or did in the past; I've quit) PSs. That's all great 'n stuff. But people really need to recruit readers from a variety of backgrounds. Have a professor review it. Have a family friend review it. Find someone in HR at a place you worked and ask them to review it. Try and get a blend of ages and backgrounds so that you get as many different 'biases' looking at your PS. I've talked to all sorts of people who said "Well, I had a bunch of people read it" and then I find out it was just a bunch of their friends ... big deal. That's not the type of person that will be reading applications, so while it's still better than nothing ... people can get better feedback by branching out.
My pre-req GPA ends up being anywhere from a 2.9 (Iowa) to a 3.2 (Michigan State). Illinois gave me a 3.49 because they count ALL science classes. I'm just not sure if I should repeat anything I got a less than a 3.0 in (biochem, Orgo I, gen chem I, genetics) or try to get into a Master's program.

I think I might need to seriously consider overhauling my explanation statement then. I tried to touch on those points about how I overcame it/how I will improve, but looking back at it I'm cringing. Plus, I ended up having to stuff my research and zoo experience in the statement at well so it was difficult to really go into detail about either topic.

That's great PS advice! I had a few people read it but not a variety. If I do end up having to give it another shot, I will be more prepared than I was last summer.

My internship was a graduation requirement, so yes it was for credit. It was a 'class' on its own. VMCAS advised me to "Use my best judgement" when deciding whether or not to list school-related experiences on my explanation statement or the Experiences section. I think that VMCAS needs to find a better way to explain that though...because my interpretation from the various VMCAS calls I made was that it is inappropriate to list credit-based experiences anywhere but the explanation statement. However, reading what other students have done, it looks like everyone entered their experiences differently. Do you think I ended up shortchanging myself?

My pre-req GPA ends up being anywhere from a 2.9 (Iowa) to a 3.2 (Michigan State). Illinois gave me a 3.49 because they count ALL science classes. I'm just not sure if I should repeat anything I got a less than a 3.0 in (biochem, Orgo I, gen chem I, genetics) or try to get into a Master's program.

I think I might need to seriously consider overhauling my explanation statement then. I tried to touch on those points about how I overcame it/how I will improve, but looking back at it I'm cringing. Plus, I ended up having to stuff my research and zoo experience in the statement at well so it was difficult to really go into detail about either topic.

That's great PS advice! I had a few people read it but not a variety. If I do end up having to give it another shot, I will be more prepared than I was last summer.
Retaking/repeating classes probably isn't the right move. But do file reviews with the schools that rejected you and ask them why, in detail, so that you can improve your application. A master's program may be the right choice depending on what they say or it may not be. Be selective in the schools that you choose for grades, etc. If you are only applying to schools that put a lot of weight on grades, it may not be the best fit for you.

@pinkpuppy9, I don't think you need to include the fact that your animal experiences were for-credit in your explanation statement (unless it says you must on VMCAS) - experience is experience!

I agree with dyachei that it's probably not in your best interest to re-take classes at this point - your GPA is decent. What will be concerning is your downward trend this past semester. You might consider taking upper-level science courses that you haven't taken yet to show adcoms that you are still able to succeed at a higher level. I don't know that I'd pursue a master's unless that's really what you want - your applicant would benefit from more veterinary hours/more diverse veterinary hours. It sounds like you could use some people to check over your PS and ES too.

Reactions: 2 users
Retaking/repeating classes probably isn't the right move. But do file reviews with the schools that rejected you and ask them why, in detail, so that you can improve your application. A master's program may be the right choice depending on what they say or it may not be. Be selective in the schools that you choose for grades, etc. If you are only applying to schools that put a lot of weight on grades, it may not be the best fit for you.
Yes, definitely looking forward to (or dreading...?) the file reviews. I'll be pretty mad at myself if it was the tone of my essay though. Why wouldn't repeating classes be a good idea compared to taking upper level science courses? I was under the impression that schools take a blind eye to anything but their pre-reqs (besides Illinois apparently). I know this is the case at my IS. Wouldn't I want to improve my pre-req GPA?
@pinkpuppy9, I don't think you need to include the fact that your animal experiences were for-credit in your explanation statement (unless it says you must on VMCAS) - experience is experience!

I agree with dyachei that it's probably not in your best interest to re-take classes at this point - your GPA is decent. What will be concerning is your downward trend this past semester. You might consider taking upper-level science courses that you haven't taken yet to show adcoms that you are still able to succeed at a higher level. I don't know that I'd pursue a master's unless that's really what you want - your applicant would benefit from more veterinary hours/more diverse veterinary hours. It sounds like you could use some people to check over your PS and ES too.
This is where it gets confusing. The VMCAS hotline either explicitly told me NOT to list any classroom/for-credit experiences anywhere BUT my ES or to "use my best judgement." So I think this portion of the application was confusing for all of us and ended up being interpreted different ways. So basically my internship, research project, and the recent chicken experience (that I will be able to use next cycle) were put onto my ES. I have also been told that research experience is only that of which is published and your name is on it...does anyone have anything to say about that? My work (besides the unpublished project I've done) is data collection and behavioral observations.

The thing with my GPA is that the only classes I've tanked are those hefty 4 credit ones (which is why my pre-req GPA is so low when the rest of my classes aren't considered). I have no W's or failed classes. It's just 5 classes that end up being 19 credits total that have sunk my GPAs :mad:. I have thought about taking the general biology sequence (I have not taken it since I have AP credit) to try to help boost my stats. I know however that a downward trend is unfavorable. The last two semesters that were actually looked at for this application were stellar though (along with me emphasizing the fact that I aced these semesters while working two jobs and volunteering in order to show I can handle a heavy load of stuff).

Yes, definitely looking forward to (or dreading...?) the file reviews. I'll be pretty mad at myself if it was the tone of my essay though. Why wouldn't repeating classes be a good idea compared to taking upper level science courses? I was under the impression that schools take a blind eye to anything but their pre-reqs (besides Illinois apparently). I know this is the case at my IS. Wouldn't I want to improve my pre-req GPA?
Depends on the school. Some will replace the grade, some will average, and others simply won't count them. So it's typically not worth it. Taking upper level sciences 'proves' that you can handle harder courses and goes towards your science GPA.

Depends on the school. Some will replace the grade, some will average, and others simply won't count them. So it's typically not worth it. Taking upper level sciences 'proves' that you can handle harder courses and goes towards your science GPA.
But if the school turns a blind eye towards all classes but the pre-reqs then I guess it might be better to retake them...? Michigan State only looks at your last 3 semesters and your pre-req GPA. I guess it's hard to decide the best option because I don't think it's smart to put all of my eggs in one basket and try to do exactly what one school seems to want when it's so different from other schools.

But if the school turns a blind eye towards all classes but the pre-reqs then I guess it might be better to retake them...? Michigan State only looks at your last 3 semesters and your pre-req GPA. I guess it's hard to decide the best option because I don't think it's smart to put all of my eggs in one basket and try to do exactly what one school seems to want when it's so different from other schools.
yeah, like I said, it depends on the school. Do your research. If Michigan is the one you want to get into, focus on their requirements. But then choose other schools that have similar requirements. Basing what all schools do off what school does will only cause heartache.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm just waiting to hear a "no" from my last school. I am wondering if my essays were to negative this year.

I had a pretty poor GPA in undergrad (2.7-3?) but I also worked 40-80 hours per week and lived out if my car for over a year. I was an alternate at WSU in 2007, but didn't get in. I went back to school and took a year of upper division science courses earned a 4.0 and 3.8. (Second semester I went to the National Dairy Challenge and missed a major test in a class.)

I then had to take 3 years off from applying because I gave birth to a beautiful little girl who just happens to have Down Syndrome and she needed me.

I barely have room to list the facts of any of this, let alone show how I've grown, explain why it was necessary, or explain little things like classes that included labs on my explanation statement. I'm afraid though that just writing short, choppy and bare minimum looks bad and negative and that's why I got nos this year.

Suggestions? And where do I find the volunteer readers for next year?

I am looking at a Master's Plan B course by the way, since the grades are my only real downfall. I have 4+ years as a vet tech w/ LA, SA, exotics, zoo, emergency ... and I run a farm and boarding facility. I have a big repro and dairy background, so I'm looking into a repro master's.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm just waiting to hear a "no" from my last school. I am wondering if my essays were to negative this year. [...]

I then had to take 3 years off from applying because I gave birth to a beautiful little girl who just happens to have Down Syndrome and she needed me.

I barely have room to list the facts of any of this, let alone show how I've grown, explain why it was necessary, or explain little things like classes that included labs on my explanation statement. [...]

I think sometimes people feel like they have to pack their entire life into their personal statement. You don't. That's not the point of the personal statement. Unless they've drastically changed what they're asking and looking for, the goal is to convince them why YOU are a great candidate for vet school and a veterinary career (those are not the same thing; consider that in writing the PS). That doesn't require, nor ask, you to explain every last little detail of your life.

So anything that goes into the PS should play into convincing them that you're a good candidate in one way or another. It's super hard to let go of some things and remove them (at least, it was for me), but in the end you have to say "is this going to compel them to admit me, or is it irrelevant?" to some things. And to other you might just have to say "which of these paragraphs (sentences, whatever) is more powerful and convincing."

And last, the PS should be internally consistent; it should track an identifiable narrative. Don't just jump from one thing to the next. As simplistic as it is, remember the grammar school days of "opening paragraph, three paragraphs making points, all connected with good transitions, and a closing/summary paragraph?" That's not a bad approach because it keeps you on track.

Most of that (except perhaps the narrative structure) applies to the explanation statement. You don't have to explain everything in life, and you should be strategic: explain things that you know will raise red flags, but do it in a way that's a positive. I flunked out of college. I wrote an explanation statement about it: One sentence noting I flunked out and three noting how well I did later in life. 75% of my 'explanation' statement was positive, not negative. That's the approach I'd advise people to use - every spot on your application is a chance to sell yourself; even the explanation statement.

Here's one hint: there is a huge difference between saying "I then had to take 3 years off ....." and saying "I chose to take 3 years off." It may not seem like a big difference to you, but to many readers the way you phrased that sentence sounds like an excuse, whereas the way I rewrote it sounds like an intentional decision for which you take responsibility.

Best of luck! Hopefully the last school you're waiting for will be a yes!!

I was wondering more about the explanation statement. How much of this goes there, and how do you fit the important bits and class info?

Thank you for the reply LetItSnow! Wording is definitely something I need to watch.

At my school, research/internships aren't required for graduation but we can do independent research/internships and receive class credit. I did this because I was a double major and didn't want to take six years to graduate. I wasn't being graded on the internship or research. I just received pass/fail grades for a paper about the projects. Since they are independent (it wasn't an actual class), I counted my experience in VMCAS but not writing the summary papers/responses since they were for the credit. However, I did not count any of my hands-on lab experience except for my entomology insect collection (she said it was unique). This was based on advice from our pre-vet advisor who is on my IS admissions committee. I think what VMCAS may be referring to is avoiding putting lab classes on experience. Like if you are an animal science major at my school, you will have hundreds of lab hours. I think they just want to discourage that since the committee can read the transcript to see your major/labs you have taken.

Hello everyone, I've been directed to this thread to ask my question regarding my application for the upcoming cycle.

A bit of background info: I'm a current undergrad at UC Davis (20 y/o, CA resident) and have completed most of the prerequisite courses at this point with no grades below a B (A's in O.Chem, physics, Gen. Chem, Bio, and all my animal science courses). I've interned for three years at two separate small animal vet clinics and I have animal experience (non-veterinary) with large animals - about 100 hours. I have at least 700 hours of experience (including both vet- approx 400/500 hrs- and regular animal experience). I'm planning on an internship at the raptor rehabilitation center on campus for some exotic vet experience soon.

I've taken the GRE twice already; my highest scores (not from the same test day) are 87% vbl, 61% quantit, and 93% analytical. I am planning on retaking the GRE this summer to get my quant to at least 70%.

My cumulative gpa is 3.76 and my sci gpa is likely slightly lower (approx 3.6). I'm on track this quarter to bring them higher (around 3.8 range).

I'm getting ready to apply to Western, Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, and Davis c/o 2019. I've heard that competitive gre scores are in the range of 70%, I'm worried that my slightly low quant is going to bring me down. I'm also concerned about the lack of non-companion animal vet experience.

My question is, does my current gpa and gre scores make me a competitive applicant? How about the animal/vet experience hours? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

My question is, does my current gpa and gre scores make me a competitive applicant? How about the animal/vet experience hours? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Overall, your application is solid. Yeah, your quantitative score isn't ideal but with strong grades I doubt it will drag your application down appreciably. You might look into how each of your schools weighs the GRE.

The thing that stuck out the most to me was your lack of non-companion animal experience. The raptor thing is cool and all, but I think schools like to see more large animal experience (with a vet) and then more diverse experiences (like wildlife, zoo, research, etc). My advice - if you don't get an acceptance - would be to find a large animal vet to tag along with for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.