This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What are my chances?

  • Great!

    Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

    Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

    Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

    Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

    Votes: 68 50.0%

  • Total voters
    136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there!
I am a Junior at Randolph-Macon College in VA, and I was just wondering what suggestions anyone may have for classes to take in between graduating my current school and applying for vet school.
I will likely only graduate with a 3.0ish GPA (B.S. Bio major and Chem minor), so I plan on taking off a year or two after I graduate to try and strenthen my academics a bit, and gain more experiance. I've had a ton of animal experience throughout my life, have been working with vet for about 7 months now, and have an internship at a different clinic during our January term, so I already will have quite a bit of experience by the time I graduate. I will also use my time off to study hard for the GRE to try and get a really good score.
I will probably enroll in Purdue's Animal Nutrition class while I'm still in undergrad, but what other online classes are there that I could take? And does anyone know of any programs or in-person courses in VA that would be beneficial for me to take?
I know I don't really have to worry about any of that for another year and a half or so, but I'm a planner lol.
That's hard to say without knowing what classes you've already taken.
 
Well my school doesn't really offer anything animal related other than Entomology, but I'll have all of the regular pre-req courses done (O-chem, Biochem, several bio classes, etc).
 
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to apply to vet school in Fall 2016. So I'd like to know what my weaknesses are, or some advice on the path ahead, to make applying to vet school as minimally stressful as it can be. (yeah right)
Cum GPA: 3.0
(P.S. This is the GPA for all my undergraduate work. Is this the Cumm GPA for just the pre-reqs or all your undergraduate work?)
Science GPA: 3.0
I have about 500-550 veterinary experience hours
I also have 300 animal experience hours
I am currently working part time in the lab at my IS vet school working as an undergraduate research assistant with one of the vets on the admissions board. I dont know if I should put that under research or veterinary experience, but I will getting a lot of that by this time next year as well.
I will be taking the GRE for the first time in January (AHHHHHHH) but I hope that'll go well!

What do you think? I feel incredibly average, but I think I will write a solid PS and I do well in interviews.
I also have a lot of activities at our school (college marching band, Young Life, Officer for Pre-Vet Club) and I have military experience as well (I know it doesn't apply, but hopefully makes me look well rounded)

Please throw all the corrective criticism you got! I would love to hear it all! Thanks again! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All! Long time lurker and finally decided to post. I want to get into veterinary school within the next 2-3 years and had a question about whether I should even apply. Here's a little background.

Graduated college with a B.A in Psychology and an overall GPA of 2.78 in May 2015. Got a full time Firefighter/EMT job right out of school and have been working for a fire department for about 5 months now. I am wanting to go back to school to get my pre-requisites for veterinary school. I am wondering if I pull high enough grades and do well enough on the GRE if I have a chance of getting into vet school. My top pick is Purdue, but I will probably also apply to Illinois and Ohio State. Thanks so much for any feeback!
 
Hello All! Long time lurker and finally decided to post. I want to get into veterinary school within the next 2-3 years and had a question about whether I should even apply. Here's a little background.

Graduated college with a B.A in Psychology and an overall GPA of 2.78 in May 2015. Got a full time Firefighter/EMT job right out of school and have been working for a fire department for about 5 months now. I am wanting to go back to school to get my pre-requisites for veterinary school. I am wondering if I pull high enough grades and do well enough on the GRE if I have a chance of getting into vet school. My top pick is Purdue, but I will probably also apply to Illinois and Ohio State. Thanks so much for any feeback!

You will also have to get some vet/animal hours. Look for schools that will heavily weight the GPA of your last 45 credits.
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-my-chances.820748/

You might want to look here.


(Apparently when I posted this it showed I was replying in an entirely separate thread that someone else had started. Not sure how it ended up in here, but oh well. The app on my phone likes to do weird things sometimes.)

It was a separate thread when you posted that, looks like one of the mods merged the threads and moved both of your posts in here. You're not crazy!
 
Does anyone know if I can still raise my cGPA even though I already have a Bachelor's if I take the pre-requisite classes? In other words, would the pre-requisite classes affect my cGPA if I already have a Bachelor's?
 
Does anyone know if I can still raise my cGPA even though I already have a Bachelor's if I take the pre-requisite classes? In other words, would the pre-requisite classes affect my cGPA if I already have a Bachelor's?

In a roundabout way of answering this... you could apply to schools that focus on the last 45 GPA compared to cGPA. I mean you can take additional classes to raise your cGPA, but since you already have a degree it probably won't make a significant difference.
 
Does anyone know if I can still raise my cGPA even though I already have a Bachelor's if I take the pre-requisite classes? In other words, would the pre-requisite classes affect my cGPA if I already have a Bachelor's?

Any college level classes you have taken will go in to your cumulative GPA when you apply, regardless of subject. So yes, any additional classes you take will factor in to it and hopefully boost it if you do well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys this is my first post, I’m in need of some advice on how to improve my application

I’m currently a senior graduating this December with a bachelors of science in veterinary and biomedical sciences.

Stats:
cGPA: 2.78.. I’m currently taking 6 credits and expecting to get A’s in both. I am also receiving credit for undergraduate research. I’m assuming I’ll be graduating with a 2.8ish gpa
last 45 GPA: 3.29


Veterinary experience:
- Interned for/shadowed 3 veterinarians- around <100 hours
- I’m currently a kennel tech ~150 hours
- Intern at an Equine Medical Center, 200 hours


Animal Experience
- volunteer at wildlife rehab center, ~10 hrs
- volunteer at animal shelter, ~50 hrs
- undergraduate research assistant in a lab studying small mammal population ecology (mice, chipmunks, and shrews). I handle the animals and collect blood samples, DNA, and fecals and assist in processing samples in the lab. Also involved in dissections and identifying gastrointestinal parasites
- I’m a member of the Reproduction Research Team where I was responsible for observing cattle behavior and recorded signs of estrus for one semester. I then acted as a fill-in in later semesters. My duties included herding cattle out of the barn, checking their general health status, lifting tails to check for blood, and assisting grad students during surgery


Other experience:
- Summer Internship in China with my professor at a veterinary research institute- assisted graduate students in determining mitochondrial genome of various native avian species
- One semester of independent research at my university’s animal diagnostic lab. I performed diagnostic tests for avian viruses, processed avian tissues, inoculated chick embryos, and performed basic lab techniques


I know my cumulative gpa is awful but I truly believe it reflects poorly on what I’m capable of academically. I didn’t take the first 2 years of college seriously. I got a part time job thinking I could handle it and never went to class because I was over confident that I could ace the exams from reading notes online. I would get A’s on the first few exams, and then completely bomb one exam or the final and ended with B’s and a couple C’s. I even got C’s on my gen eds because I just never tried.. But I’ve definitely grown up a lot then and continuing to improve my health issues (anxiety/depression). I plan on applying within the next year or two and plan on improving my GPA. I know I can’t change my undergrad GPA so how can I prove to adcoms that I’m capable of the intense course load in vet school? I think I did okay on my higher level science classes (B+’s in my biochem classes, A in orgo 1, B in orgo 2, B in immunology, A in pathology, A’s in physics 1 and 2…).


My possible plans:
- Work as a vet assistant after graduation because I realize I do need more experience
- I want to apply for Drexel’s Veterinary Medical Science program for fall of next year.. Anyone tried this and can tell me more about their experience? They also have an option to extend one more year and get a masters in laboratory animal science which is something I’m definitely interested in
- Take additional classes?
- I am planning on taking the GRE’s in January and I have been studying since September. I'm expecting above average scores.

Oh and my instate is Virginia-Maryland


Any advice for me?

I would see if you could take more classes or retake classes that you scored Cs in and make all As. The low GPA can be overcome, and I think you have shown that you have what it takes academically since you made high grades in the harder science classes... But, for them to look less at your GPA and more at other things you need to have some more veterinary experience! You can also write really good essays and explain any circumstances that might attribute to your GPA.
 
29 y/o, male, Florida resident
Graduate in May 2016 with Bachelors in Biology

cGPA:3.15
Last 45: 3.3
GRE: 155V, 151Q, 4.0W

3 LOR's: 1 vet, 2 professors

Vet Experience: ~250 shadowing SA
~50 Low income spay neuter clinic
~20 Large Animal

Animal Experience: I'm a farm boy, so lots of hours with large and small animals of all sorts.
~3000 hours running family owned kennel
~400 hours humane society

Work Experience: 5 years as assistant manager of a grocery store
3 years as a stainless welder
1 year as parking patrol at current university
3 years running family owned kennel

Will apply to: Florida, Tuskegee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Lincoln Memorial, Tennessee, CSU, OSU, and Wisconsin Madison.
 
29 y/o, male, Florida resident
Graduate in May 2016 with Bachelors in Biology

cGPA:3.15
Last 45: 3.3
GRE: 155V, 151Q, 4.0W

3 LOR's: 1 vet, 2 professors

Vet Experience: ~250 shadowing SA
~50 Low income spay neuter clinic
~20 Large Animal

Animal Experience: I'm a farm boy, so lots of hours with large and small animals of all sorts.
~3000 hours running family owned kennel
~400 hours humane society

Work Experience: 5 years as assistant manager of a grocery store
3 years as a stainless welder
1 year as parking patrol at current university
3 years running family owned kennel

Will apply to: Florida, Tuskegee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Lincoln Memorial, Tennessee, CSU, OSU, and Wisconsin Madison.
I'd say you definitely need more vet experience. Florida suggests at least 500 hours (many applicants have 1000 or more) and they seem to like to see a good amount of LA hours. Your GPA is also a little on the low side but you may be ok if your science GPA is higher (and your last 45 is better). You may even consider retaking prereq classes or upper level bio classes. Really do some research on the schools you're applying to and maybe look into ones that favor last 45 gpa, or that let you do grade replacement if you retake any classes.
 
I'd say you definitely need more vet experience. Florida suggests at least 500 hours (many applicants have 1000 or more) and they seem to like to see a good amount of LA hours. Your GPA is also a little on the low side but you may be ok if your science GPA is higher (and your last 45 is better). You may even consider retaking prereq classes or upper level bio classes. Really do some research on the schools you're applying to and maybe look into ones that favor last 45 gpa, or that let you do grade replacement if you retake any classes.
Thanks for that. So I'm going to retake two 4000 level biology classes next summer. That will put my cGPA at ~3.3 and my last 45 around 3.6. That should help. Also, when writing animal experience should I try to get a number in hours? Because I lived and worked on my families farm for 26 years and it was an everyday thing. Also, should I say that I have experience with animals that most people don't get? We had a zebra for a little bit not to mention llama, ostriches (ostri?), emus, barbados sheep and a few others? I thought it might help, but I don't want to list things unnecessarily. Again, thanks for all of the help! At my university if you ask anything about vet school they just kind of stare off blankly. Mention med school though and they will talk your head off. So not much help around there.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for that. So I'm going to retake two 4000 level biology classes next summer. That will put my cGPA at ~3.3 and my last 45 around 3.6. That should help. Also, when writing animal experience should I try to get a number in hours? Because I lived and worked on my families farm for 26 years and it was an everyday thing. Also, should I say that I have experience with animals that most people don't get? We had a zebra for a little bit not to mention llama, ostriches (ostri?), emus, barbados sheep and a few others? I thought it might help, but I don't want to list things unnecessarily. Again, thanks for all of the help! At my university if you ask anything about vet school they just kind of stare off blankly. Mention med school though and they will talk your head off. So not much help around there.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Good to hear you've already got a plan for your GPA! Just make sure to check with the schools you apply to so you can find out how they handle retake in their calculations.

As far as animal experience goes, there is really a magic number of hours, but it is always a good idea to list unique experiences like the ones you mentioned. It gives you something to talk about in interviews and makes you stand out a bit from other applicants. Experience hours with a vet typically trump animal hours as far as getting you through the initial stages of application evaluation though.

I had a similar experience with my undergrad. Unless the university has a vet school, most don't seem to know a thing about it. SDN and the school websites were my info sources.
 
I would see if you could take more classes or retake classes that you scored Cs in and make all As. The low GPA can be overcome, and I think you have shown that you have what it takes academically since you made high grades in the harder science classes... But, for them to look less at your GPA and more at other things you need to have some more veterinary experience! You can also write really good essays and explain any circumstances that might attribute to your GPA.

I received C/C+'s in gen chem 1, animal nutrition, and some upper level bio classes (function and development of organisms and comparative anatomy)... Do you think I need to retake gen chem 1 since its a required prereq and maybe animal nutrition (for some schools) or should I continue to take upper level science classes as a post bacc student and get A's on those? And how many classes should I aim to take?
 
I received C/C+'s in gen chem 1, animal nutrition, and some upper level bio classes (function and development of organisms and comparative anatomy)... Do you think I need to retake gen chem 1 since its a required prereq and maybe animal nutrition (for some schools) or should I continue to take upper level science classes as a post bacc student and get A's on those? And how many classes should I aim to take?

If I were you, I would definitely retake prereqs and try to make As. I think you could easily make As in those classes. It certainly won't hurt to just take those 2 and make As in both, as well as going really well with your post bacc classes. If you're planning on applying next year, I would just take as many as you can to make As in them all to try and increase your GPA as much as possible.
 
If I were you, I would definitely retake prereqs and try to make As. I think you could easily make As in those classes. It certainly won't hurt to just take those 2 and make As in both, as well as going really well with your post bacc classes. If you're planning on applying next year, I would just take as many as you can to make As in them all to try and increase your GPA as much as possible.

Would it matter if I took at a community college? I don't know if it matters that I got a C in gen chem at my university but got an A at my local community college years later

Thanks so much for the advice, I've been going insane trying to answer all these questions by myself for the past few months now and its so good to finally receive some feedback. I went to my university's advisor and he pretty much told me don't even bother trying to get into vet school because I won't get in 🙁 Hopefully I can prove him wrong!
 
Would it matter if I took at a community college? I don't know if it matters that I got a C in gen chem at my university but got an A at my local community college years later

Thanks so much for the advice, I've been going insane trying to answer all these questions by myself for the past few months now and its so good to finally receive some feedback. I went to my university's advisor and he pretty much told me don't even bother trying to get into vet school because I won't get in 🙁 Hopefully I can prove him wrong!

I don't think it would matter if you took them at a community college but I'm not too sure. I think you can do it, but it's not going to be an easy road!
 
I was planning on just taking chemistry at my CC and upper level science classes at my state's university.

Another question, when calculating prereq GPA for each school, do you choose which classes go into the calculation? For example, if the school requires 6 humanities credits and you've taken 4 humanities classes (12 credits) do pick which 2 classes go into that? Sorry if this has been asked before
 
Last edited:
I was planning on just taking chemistry at my CC and upper level science classes at my state's university.

Another question, when calculating prereq GPA for each school, do you choose which classes go into the calculation? For example, if the school requires 6 humanities credits and you've taken 4 humanities classes (12 credits) do pick which 2 classes go into that? Sorry if this has been asked before

Nevermind I just found out how haha
 
22 F only applied to Tufts as IS
cGPA 3.85
sGPA3.76

GRE 155/156 4.0w

3 LOR

1 PI
1 Vet
1 Academic Advisor

Vet Experience ~700+ (on going)
Animal Experience/Animal Research ~1000+ hours (birds reptiles and mice)
Research not related to animals ~300+ hours
human medical experience ~ 2,500+ hours

I'm really nervous about only applying to one school and I'm nervous about my GRE scores. My husband is a student at Tufts Vet and it is my top choice as well which is why I'm only applying to tufts.
 
Last edited:
22 F only applied to Tufts as IS
cGPA 3.85
sGPA3.76

GRE 155/156 4.0w

3 LOR

1 PI
1 Vet
1 Academic Advisor

Vet Experience ~700
Animal Experience/Animal Research ~1000 hours (birds animals and mice)
Research not related to animals ~300 hours
human medical experience ~ 2,500 hours

I'm really nervous about only applying to one school and I'm nervous about my GRE scores. My husband is a student at Tufts Vet and it is my top choice as well which is why I'm only applying to tufts.
I don't know Tufts typical stats specifically, but your GRE scores look fine in general. Right in there with most of the GRE scores that I've seen among applicants here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
22 F only applied to Tufts as IS
cGPA 3.85
sGPA3.76

GRE 155/156 4.0w

3 LOR

1 PI
1 Vet
1 Academic Advisor

Vet Experience ~700+ (on going)
Animal Experience/Animal Research ~1000+ hours (birds reptiles and mice)
Research not related to animals ~300+ hours
human medical experience ~ 2,500+ hours

I'm really nervous about only applying to one school and I'm nervous about my GRE scores. My husband is a student at Tufts Vet and it is my top choice as well which is why I'm only applying to tufts.

Here are the admitted class statistics from last year: http://vet.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/Vet-Admission-Statistics-2019.pdf

Your GRE scores are a bit below average for Tufts (160/159/4.5), but still within the range of scores for students who were admitted. Your GPA is above their average (3.64), though, and from what I've heard, Tufts weights your academic score in whatever direction comes out in your favor. I've heard something like 70% of the final decision is academics, but it's not necessarily 35/35....in your case, they'd likely weigh your GPA more than your GRE scores. So I think you still have a great shot!
 
Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into vet school.

I have a 3.0 cum GPA (low I know), however, this is because I ended my freshman year with a 2.2 gpa, since then I have considerably brought my grades up. I am currently a junior.

I have yet to take the GRE but I will be taking it over Winter break.

I worked at a kennel for 2 summers and I will have worked at a vets office as an assistant for 2 summers before I apply (overall at least 1000 hours of animal experience). I also have some volunteer hours at the local shelter and am a member of the pre-vet club at my university. Along with this I am a member of greek life in which I hold a leadership position.

I am in state for Virginia-Maryland but with my low GPA I wonder if I have a shot. If not what are some other good options? I have been looking into St. George's as well.

Thank you in advance.

Hopeful vet student
 
Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into vet school.

I have a 3.0 cum GPA (low I know), however, this is because I ended my freshman year with a 2.2 gpa, since then I have considerably brought my grades up. I am currently a junior.

I have yet to take the GRE but I will be taking it over Winter break.

I worked at a kennel for 2 summers and I will have worked at a vets office as an assistant for 2 summers before I apply (overall at least 1000 hours of animal experience). I also have some volunteer hours at the local shelter and am a member of the pre-vet club at my university. Along with this I am a member of greek life in which I hold a leadership position.

I am in state for Virginia-Maryland but with my low GPA I wonder if I have a shot. If not what are some other good options? I have been looking into St. George's as well.

Thank you in advance.

Hopeful vet student

Try to do as well as you possibly can on the GRE. The more vet/animal hours you get, the better. Retake any prerequisites you didn't do well in. Also, you can find schools that favor the GPA of your last 45 credits instead of your cGPA. I would look into Midwestern University since their minimum GPA is 2.75 (but they are $$$$$$). Other than that, I'd say your stats look fine.

I applied to St. George's.
 
Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into vet school.

I have a 3.0 cum GPA (low I know), however, this is because I ended my freshman year with a 2.2 gpa, since then I have considerably brought my grades up. I am currently a junior.

I have yet to take the GRE but I will be taking it over Winter break.

I worked at a kennel for 2 summers and I will have worked at a vets office as an assistant for 2 summers before I apply (overall at least 1000 hours of animal experience). I also have some volunteer hours at the local shelter and am a member of the pre-vet club at my university. Along with this I am a member of greek life in which I hold a leadership position.

I am in state for Virginia-Maryland but with my low GPA I wonder if I have a shot. If not what are some other good options? I have been looking into St. George's as well.

Thank you in advance.

Hopeful vet student

Junior year grades are HUUUUGE (last 45 credits to be exact) so if you can do really well this year that will definitely be in your favor! Good luck and stay positive!! You got this 😉
 
Hi everyone:

I first wanted to say I truly enjoy reading this forum, although I have just registered, I have been browsing for some time now. There is a plethora of invaluable information on here.

Here is my situation: I am a Financial Advisor with a global Wealth Management Firm. I have wanted to be a Vet from a young age (like most), but I sold out for money. Now some years into my career, I want to pursue my passion and be a Veterinarian. I served in the Army for 8 years in a non-medical capacity and my formal education was in Criminal Justice at my local University. I have a wonderful wife who is an RN and we are expecting our first child in May. I am currently making a six-figure income and I am wondering if I am crazy for thinking of giving it all up? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

After reviewing the Vet School pre-reqs for University of Minnesota - which is closest to me, I would need to go back to school for some of the math/sciences that I haven't done; I have not taken the GRE either. It would also seem that a substantial amount of volunteer hours will be required for acceptance as well - would I be able to get enough hours in just a couple of years?

I apologize this post is a bit jumbled, but I am looking for any/all advice or thoughts.

Thank you all!
 
I'm a 23 year old male, Texas resident applying to Texas A&M. I graduated in May 2014 with a BA in Kinesiology. I've been finishing a few pre-reqs and gaining animal/vet experience since.

cGPA: 3.53
Last 45: 3.78
sGPA: 3.47

GRE (August 2015): 161V, 170Q, 4.5W

3 Evaluations: Veterinarian, Professor, Band Director

Vet Experience
  • About 600 hours shadowing at my dad's clinic throughout childhood/summers.
  • 100 hours shadowing at another clinic.
Animal Experience
  • 700+ hours from working at a local animal shelter, since May.
  • 60 hours volunteering at the same shelter before working.
  • About 30 hours helping with RA's guinea pigs at college.
  • 100+ hours of pet ownership (see avatar picture).
My undergrad is pretty difficult, which explains my GPA being a little lower than desired. Hopefully the GRE makes up for it. I have continued to shadow at the other clinic, and I'm still working full-time for the shelter. This is the first time I've applied.

Good luck to all Class of 2020 applicants!
 
Last edited:
I'm one of the "nontraditional" applicants...I have worked long an hard since graduating school to get to the point I'm at today, and sadly even now my stats are "not competitive" to the naked eye.

B.S. Psychology
2.85 cGPA
Prerequisite GPA (last 62 hours): 4.0
sGPA: 3.75
Last 120 hours GPA: 3.75

500 hours shadowing at 3 vet clinics
250 hours shadowing at a local Zoo
Summer internship/100's of hours experience at Marine Mammal Institute (working with Dolphins)
Active United Way member with several leadership positions
Student leadership positions at 2 Universities
400 hours non-paid Volunteering with hospice patients


At this point with all my work ive put into it and still with a very low cGPA I am getting a bit depressed. I feel like I would have put so much work to only get denied to those with better stats. I hope the admissions committee can at least see I turned it around with my prereq's and hands on work.

Is there anything I can add to my resume to make it more competitive? Were I to get a very good GRE score (haven't taken it yet) would I have a good shot? I'm from MS by the way and MS State is my #1 school at the moment
 
I'm one of the "nontraditional" applicants...I have worked long an hard since graduating school to get to the point I'm at today, and sadly even now my stats are "not competitive" to the naked eye.

B.S. Psychology
2.85 cGPA
Prerequisite GPA (last 62 hours): 4.0
sGPA: 3.75
Last 120 hours GPA: 3.75

500 hours shadowing at 3 vet clinics
250 hours shadowing at a local Zoo
Summer internship/100's of hours experience at Marine Mammal Institute (working with Dolphins)
Active United Way member with several leadership positions
Student leadership positions at 2 Universities
400 hours non-paid Volunteering with hospice patients


At this point with all my work ive put into it and still with a very low cGPA I am getting a bit depressed. I feel like I would have put so much work to only get denied to those with better stats. I hope the admissions committee can at least see I turned it around with my prereq's and hands on work.

Is there anything I can add to my resume to make it more competitive? Were I to get a very good GRE score (haven't taken it yet) would I have a good shot? I'm from MS by the way and MS State is my #1 school at the moment

A good GRE would certainly help. Your prereq GPA is amazing. Focus on the schools that heavily weight your last 45 credits. Make sure to get more hours and great letters of recommendation. Most people apply with 1000s of hours in vet/animal.
 
Ugh I guess I didn't realize going into college how much B's really hurt you. At my school a B is a 3.0. I have a 3.85 from some summer classes I took, but im afraid I'll probably end up with more B's than A's this semester. Oh well. It's still early and I've learned a lot about how to study and take exams. Ill do better next semester 🙂
 
Ugh I guess I didn't realize going into college how much B's really hurt you. At my school a B is a 3.0. I have a 3.85 from some summer classes I took, but im afraid I'll probably end up with more B's than A's this semester. Oh well. It's still early and I've learned a lot about how to study and take exams. Ill do better next semester 🙂
A B is not a bad grade
 
Does anyone know how the schools grade the "retakes"? For example if I made a C in Bio 101 back when I was an idiot freshman, but retake it at 26 and make an A, will it go in the system as an A or will they average it out to a B?


TIA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh I guess I didn't realize going into college how much B's really hurt you. At my school a B is a 3.0. I have a 3.85 from some summer classes I took, but im afraid I'll probably end up with more B's than A's this semester. Oh well. It's still early and I've learned a lot about how to study and take exams. Ill do better next semester 🙂
It's not that common for veterinary applicants to have all A's or a straight 4.0 throughout undergrad. Yes, some people definitely do, but it's not the majority. If a B is the lowest grade you have, don't stress and keep up the good work. I got in with 4 C's in my prereqs.
 
Hi everyone:
I am currently making a six-figure income and I am wondering if I am crazy for thinking of giving it all up? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

After reviewing the Vet School pre-reqs for University of Minnesota - which is closest to me, I would need to go back to school for some of the math/sciences that I haven't done; I have not taken the GRE either. It would also seem that a substantial amount of volunteer hours will be required for acceptance as well - would I be able to get enough hours in just a couple of years?


It's a bit crazy...but I did it too and I have no regrets. I quit a secure job with a great upward potential and sweet paycheck to start from scratch at this. I had no prereqs and no animal or vet experience hours. It only took me a year after quitting my old job to get over 1000 hrs working for small/large and zoo animal vets and to finish 90% of my prereqs with A's. Having had a career before made me look at this new challenges as a full time job - I don't slack, I work and study nights and weekends and constantly work to improve. I applied this year and who knows if I would get in, but I am so much happier with what I do and the potential of becoming what I want to be.

Bottom line. It is a risk. Get your ducks in a row and make sure your wife supports you in this. When you are married it is very much a team effort (I couldn't dream to do it if my husband wasn't 100% behind me). Then take the leap! Pm me if you need more encouragement!😉[/QUOTE]
 
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this right, I just made an account today. I am a career changer who started working towards admission 2.5 years ago and just applied to veterinary school this fall.

GPA Cumulative : 3.67
GPA Pre-rec : 3.84
GPA last 45 : 3.9


B.S. in Business Administration
Business School marketing and management club (2 years)
Business School business law and HR club (2 years)
Co-ed national honors fraternity (2 years)
High School Salutatorian (small class size though)
High School Basketball
55 hours emergency room volunteering
(a bunch of other stuff thats not extremely impressive )

Management positon post college for 2 years before I got sick of it and decided to pursue veterinary medicine.

LOR: 3 vets all excellent recommendations ( one doctor with 35 years experience told me she wrote that I was the hardest working and most helpful applicant volunteer she had ever seen)

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal clinic: 2,400 hrs (volunteer initially and then full time paid for 1 year)
Large animal mobile + clinic: 350 hrs (all volunteer )

Animal Hours: 175 humane society

GRE: 165 V ( 95% ) 159 Q ( 75% ) 4.5 AW (80%)

Only applied in state to a fairly competitive program.

My main worry is my lack of science training outside of the prerequisites and not having any published articles or research experience. Pretty nervous right now since I abandoned my old career and spent thousands of dollars going back to school working towards this goal. I'm also in my late 20s so multiple application cycles would be pretty painful as I would like to start a career and settle down by my mid 30s.

Thank you very much for any guidance you can give!
 
I have already applied for veterinary school and graduating this December. I am struggling with Organic Chemistry II and know I can get a C if I study hard for the final but if I were to get a D would it be best to retake it? I live 5 hours away from college so I would be unable to take it at the university I took it at. I am hoping I get at least a C but just want to figure out what to do if I don't. I am also starting my MBA in the Spring while I wait to see if I will be accepted into vet school. Just need some advice on what to do.

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.