This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What are my chances?

  • Great!

    Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

    Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

    Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

    Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

    Votes: 68 50.0%

  • Total voters
    136
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First time applicant
Degree : B.A. Biological Sciences (2017)

Cum GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: above 3.85, not exactly sure
GRE: Going to take this summer

Animal Experience
~ 1,100+ hours at a dog kennel
~50 hours at an exotic animal sanctuary/education facility
~100 hours dog sitting
~20 hours at an animal shelter
~20+ at a horse barn

Vet Experience
~200 hours working in a vet hospital
~80 volunteering at Purdue Vet Teaching hospital
~20 hours shadowing at one hospital
~6 hours shadowing at another hospital

Research Experience
~500 hours of research in a parasitology lab

I know that I need way more vet experience, which I'm trying to find for over the summer. (Any summer internships/specific places that allow shadowing/working with vets for the summer?) What do you think about my chances? Does anyone know which schools like high GPA more than vet experience hours?
Your GPA's are definitely in the right place. My suggestion is to study hard for the GRE and get a good score. Also, I agree with the previous statement in regard to vet hours which I see that you are working on. I also agree that it is about quality and not necessarily quantity. If you have a bunch of hours in small animal med (not sure what your hospitals are like), why not branch out and try to intern in a large animal practice? It will make you look open-minded and more well-rounded in your experiences. Also, just an FYI, some schools really like to see a large involvement in leadership roles (clubs, church, tutoring, etc.).
 
I'm back!

I posted last year to decide whether I should spend my money applying and the general consensus was that I shouldn't be too hopeful but that it wasn't a complete waste of money to apply to my IS. So I applied, not even expecting an interview, and just got the news that I am an alternate. So although I'm not flat rejected yet, I'm treating this as rejection and turning my attention to the next cycle.

I do plan to get a file review but as they won't be scheduling those for a few months I'm going to start here and see what you guys think I could do to improve my application and chances for next year. I'll include the stats that I applied with this year as well as how some of them have changed since then. Current experiences are, have been, and will continue to be increasing since I applied.

So...
For the next cycle I will be a 22 year old female, 2nd time applicant, Michigan resident
Graduated in December 2015 with a BS in Biology, minored in Chemistry

cGPA: 3.08 (not looked at by MI as far as I know)
sGPA: 3.00
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.43 (formerly 3.40)
GRE (V/Q/AW): 167/158/3.5

Veterinary Experience
200 hrs shadowing at SA clinic
New: 200 hrs working at same SA clinic as above (Current)
9 hours shadowing surgery at other SA clinics

Animal Experience
10,000 hrs dog breeding and kennel management (Current)
3000 hrs dog showing (conformation, obedience, rally) (Current)
150 hrs dog training (Current)
100 hrs petsitting (SA + exotic)
50 hrs horseback riding
48 hrs wild bird rehab volunteer
40 hrs care of a sick bird (different exp than above)
24 hrs bully breed rescue volunteer
26 hrs sheep herding lessons (Plans to continue lessons when the weather allows)

Other
A couple of volunteer experiences
A couple of non-animal related hobbies/extracurriculars


So the big difference so fair is that I've basically doubled my veterinary experience. Not sure how much that increases my chances in the big picture and wondering what else I can do to make myself a stronger applicant. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Hey all, been lurking for a while and decided to finally ask what you thought my chances are of getting in.

Background:
BS in Animal Biology
MS in Biochemistry

3.4 GPA
3.4 sci GPA

GRE V/Q/W: (percentiles) 90th/75th/70th (I think this score is too old to use, so I am planning on taking it again.)


Vet hours:
100 Shadowed Research Vet
50 Shadowed Equine Vet

Research Experience:
200 with experimental swine
100 with experimental primates
100 with experimental mice/rats/other rodents
100 molecular biology
300 embryology
1 publication regarding experimental primates
2 poster presentations

Other animal hours:
500 volunteering at horse rescue, horse riding, etc
300 running a small organic chicken farm
100 local feral cat group
cats, dogs, guinea pigs, etc.

Hobbies, etc:
Author
Chess player
Cook
Food service worker (employment)
Chemistry tutor (employment)



So, I have lots of research hours under my belt, and would probably be interested in going into Lab Animal Medicine. (or something similar, like veterinary anesthesia)

One problem is that I had a major illness half-way through my MS program, so I got some bad grades (my MS GPA is actually lower than my BS GPA...) My animal hours also petered out after that.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Will my research experience make up for my shortage of direct vet experience? Will my MS and great deal of research make up for my low GPA?

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, been lurking for a while and decided to finally ask what you thought my chances are of getting in.

Background:
BS in Animal Biology
MS in Biochemistry

3.4 GPA
3.4 sci GPA

GRE V/Q/W: (percentiles) 90th/75th/70th (I think this score is too old to use, so I am planning on taking it again.)


Vet hours:
100 Shadowed Research Vet
50 Shadowed Equine Vet

Research Experience:
200 with experimental swine
100 with experimental primates
100 with experimental mice/rats/other rodents
100 molecular biology
300 embryology
1 publication regarding experimental primates
2 poster presentations

Other animal hours:
500 volunteering at horse rescue, horse riding, etc
300 running a small organic chicken farm
100 local feral cat group
cats, dogs, guinea pigs, etc.

Hobbies, etc:
Author
Chess player
Cook
Food service worker (employment)
Chemistry tutor (employment)



So, I have lots of research hours under my belt, and would probably be interested in going into Lab Animal Medicine. (or something similar, like veterinary anesthesia)

One problem is that I had a major illness half-way through my MS program, so I got some bad grades (my MS GPA is actually lower than my BS GPA...) My animal hours also petered out after that.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Will my research experience make up for my shortage of direct vet experience? Will my MS and great deal of research make up for my low GPA?

Thanks
Your research hours are definitely a plus. However, I don't think they will make up for only 150 vet hours. You'll need more vet hours for sure.
 
Hi, guys. What chances do you think I have getting to vet school?

25 years old, female, Puerto Rico

Major: Foreign languages ( I majored for two years in biology, I had a 3.31 GPA with 2 W's, I changed majors and graduated from Languages)
Minor: Photojournalism
Cum GPA: 3.41

I worked for a year as a freelance and went again to college to finish the pre-req courses.

Last 45 GPA: 3.73 ( I only needed 45hrs to finish the pre-req)

GRE: I have to take it again, I'm now in a Kaplan course.

Vet experience:
- 1,000 hrs small animal
- 50 hrs equine

Animal experience:
- 45 hrs equine
- 50 hrs aquatic (manatees)
- 50 hrs bat population
- 20 hrs sea turtle nest patrol
- 320 hrs internship with manatees

As undergraduate I was in Golden Key honor society, in French honor society, and now im part of a pre-vet club.

What things you guys think i should work on? Im thinking of applying to UF, Kansas, North Carolina, Tufts, Cornell and Tennessee
 
I'm back!

I posted last year to decide whether I should spend my money applying and the general consensus was that I shouldn't be too hopeful but that it wasn't a complete waste of money to apply to my IS. So I applied, not even expecting an interview, and just got the news that I am an alternate. So although I'm not flat rejected yet, I'm treating this as rejection and turning my attention to the next cycle.

I do plan to get a file review but as they won't be scheduling those for a few months I'm going to start here and see what you guys think I could do to improve my application and chances for next year. I'll include the stats that I applied with this year as well as how some of them have changed since then. Current experiences are, have been, and will continue to be increasing since I applied.

So...
For the next cycle I will be a 22 year old female, 2nd time applicant, Michigan resident
Graduated in December 2015 with a BS in Biology, minored in Chemistry

cGPA: 3.08 (not looked at by MI as far as I know)
sGPA: 3.00
Last 3 Semester GPA: 3.43 (formerly 3.40)
GRE (V/Q/AW): 167/158/3.5

Veterinary Experience
200 hrs shadowing at SA clinic
New: 200 hrs working at same SA clinic as above (Current)
9 hours shadowing surgery at other SA clinics

Animal Experience
10,000 hrs dog breeding and kennel management (Current)
3000 hrs dog showing (conformation, obedience, rally) (Current)
150 hrs dog training (Current)
100 hrs petsitting (SA + exotic)
50 hrs horseback riding
48 hrs wild bird rehab volunteer
40 hrs care of a sick bird (different exp than above)
24 hrs bully breed rescue volunteer
26 hrs sheep herding lessons (Plans to continue lessons when the weather allows)

Other
A couple of volunteer experiences
A couple of non-animal related hobbies/extracurriculars


So the big difference so fair is that I've basically doubled my veterinary experience. Not sure how much that increases my chances in the big picture and wondering what else I can do to make myself a stronger applicant. Thanks.

Congrats on being an alternate! It's definetely an accomplishment still. I hope that it's not the end for this cycle for you, but I'll try to give some thoughts for now.

Have you considered retaking any courses this summer that you did poorly in the first time around? I know MSU only looks at your last 45 and science GPAs, so doing this, particularly with any science courses, would be really helpful.

The other big thing that I noticed is while your animal hours are diverse, you only have veterinary hours in small animal. Perhaps instead of continuing to gain more hours at the same clinic, you could look into a summer internship in large animal or zoo medicine? (Might be difficult if you're also taking classes, but if they don't require labs, I bet you could complete some online!) Even if you don't end up finding an internship that works, just adding some shadowing hours in a different area of veterinary medicine can help.

Those are the two weakest portions I see, so that would be where I would focus your time, but a file review with MSU would be able to help you much more than I could. Good luck! 🙂
 
Hey all, been lurking for a while and decided to finally ask what you thought my chances are of getting in.

Background:
BS in Animal Biology
MS in Biochemistry

3.4 GPA
3.4 sci GPA

GRE V/Q/W: (percentiles) 90th/75th/70th (I think this score is too old to use, so I am planning on taking it again.)


Vet hours:
100 Shadowed Research Vet
50 Shadowed Equine Vet

Research Experience:
200 with experimental swine
100 with experimental primates
100 with experimental mice/rats/other rodents
100 molecular biology
300 embryology
1 publication regarding experimental primates
2 poster presentations

Other animal hours:
500 volunteering at horse rescue, horse riding, etc
300 running a small organic chicken farm
100 local feral cat group
cats, dogs, guinea pigs, etc.

Hobbies, etc:
Author
Chess player
Cook
Food service worker (employment)
Chemistry tutor (employment)



So, I have lots of research hours under my belt, and would probably be interested in going into Lab Animal Medicine. (or something similar, like veterinary anesthesia)

One problem is that I had a major illness half-way through my MS program, so I got some bad grades (my MS GPA is actually lower than my BS GPA...) My animal hours also petered out after that.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Will my research experience make up for my shortage of direct vet experience? Will my MS and great deal of research make up for my low GPA?

Thanks

I agree with Kata, your veterinary hours are where you should focus your time.

In terms of your question about your MS making up for the low GPA, no it wouldn't unless it were higher than your cum GPA, which you said it wasn't. Your GPA is low, but not deal breaker low, so if you should spend some time over the course of the next 9 months (if you're applying this cycle) gaining quality and diverse experience to have a better chance.
 
Hi, guys. What chances do you think I have getting to vet school?

25 years old, female, Puerto Rico

Major: Foreign languages ( I majored for two years in biology, I had a 3.31 GPA with 2 W's, I changed majors and graduated from Languages)
Minor: Photojournalism
Cum GPA: 3.41

I worked for a year as a freelance and went again to college to finish the pre-req courses.

Last 45 GPA: 3.73 ( I only needed 45hrs to finish the pre-req)

GRE: I have to take it again, I'm now in a Kaplan course.

Vet experience:
- 1,000 hrs small animal
- 50 hrs equine

Animal experience:
- 45 hrs equine
- 50 hrs aquatic (manatees)
- 50 hrs bat population
- 20 hrs sea turtle nest patrol
- 320 hrs internship with manatees

As undergraduate I was in Golden Key honor society, in French honor society, and now im part of a pre-vet club.

What things you guys think i should work on? Im thinking of applying to UF, Kansas, North Carolina, Tufts, Cornell and Tennessee

I think your chances would vary based on where you applied..so I'm curious where your list came from? Just my thoughts looking at it, Tufts and Cornell have pretty high average GPAs, and UF and NCSU are very for out of state students. Kansas and Tennessee aren't bad choices, but I think you should do more research to which schools value a higher last 45 GPA over a cumulative. Is your science GPA also in the 3.7 range? I was assuming so, since you mentioned that your last 45 were pre-reqs.

The only other thing I see is that you have pretty much all small animal experience except the 50 hours in large, so you might benefit from some diversity in the veterinary area, but I don't think you're hugely lacking, especially since your animal experience looks pretty cool. Just something that could only help if you had the time.
 
Congrats on being an alternate! It's definetely an accomplishment still. I hope that it's not the end for this cycle for you, but I'll try to give some thoughts for now.

Thank you. I'm trying to remind myself of that. At least they think I have what it takes to become a veterinarian even if it's not this year. 🙂

Have you considered retaking any courses this summer that you did poorly in the first time around?

I have considered it but I'm trying to avoid it because I'm concerned about what it's going to cost me. If it comes down to me needing to do something about that GPA then I'll have to see what I can do.

Thank you for your other thoughts too. Much appreciated.
 
Thank you. I'm trying to remind myself of that. At least they think I have what it takes to become a veterinarian even if it's not this year. 🙂



I have considered it but I'm trying to avoid it because I'm concerned about what it's going to cost me. If it comes down to me needing to do something about that GPA then I'll have to see what I can do.

Thank you for your other thoughts too. Much appreciated.
Saving money is ALWAYS smart in vet med. Definitely do a file review with all of the schools to find out what they think you need to improve. If they think retaking classes is your best course of action, then you may want to strongly consider that if you intend to reapply.
 
I think your chances would vary based on where you applied..so I'm curious where your list came from? Just my thoughts looking at it, Tufts and Cornell have pretty high average GPAs, and UF and NCSU are very for out of state students. Kansas and Tennessee aren't bad choices, but I think you should do more research to which schools value a higher last 45 GPA over a cumulative. Is your science GPA also in the 3.7 range? I was assuming so, since you mentioned that your last 45 were pre-reqs.

The only other thing I see is that you have pretty much all small animal experience except the 50 hours in large, so you might benefit from some diversity in the veterinary area, but I don't think you're hugely lacking, especially since your animal experience looks pretty cool. Just something that could only help if you had the time.


My last 45 hrs was only science, but some courses as biology, genetics, statistics, general chem I took them 7 years ago so I don't know how much attention they are going to give them. The schools I picked, I choosed them because I want to specialize later in wildlife rehab, so I wanted a school that had a good wildlife hospital, faculty, electives, etc. Some other school I picked them because they have a bigger number of out of state students, so is easier to be accepted in one of them because as a student in Puerto Rico Im consider as an international applicant.

Thanks, is a good tip to check which school value more the last 45 GPA over cumulative, I'm going to do that.
 
My last 45 hrs was only science, but some courses as biology, genetics, statistics, general chem I took them 7 years ago so I don't know how much attention they are going to give them. The schools I picked, I choosed them because I want to specialize later in wildlife rehab, so I wanted a school that had a good wildlife hospital, faculty, electives, etc. Some other school I picked them because they have a bigger number of out of state students, so is easier to be accepted in one of them because as a student in Puerto Rico Im consider as an international applicant.

Thanks, is a good tip to check which school value more the last 45 GPA over cumulative, I'm going to do that.

Just another note, if you tell them you want to specialize in wildlife rehab, but you don't have any experience in it, that will be a red flag. So if you plan on writing that in your personal statement or any supplemental essays, you should make sure you have enough to back it up with (that would be a great place to start getting more experience too!)
 
Just another note, if you tell them you want to specialize in wildlife rehab, but you don't have any experience in it, that will be a red flag. So if you plan on writing that in your personal statement or any supplemental essays, you should make sure you have enough to back it up with (that would be a great place to start getting more experience too!)

yeah, I know, sadly in PR there aren't any wildlife rehab facilities because there isn't much of a wildlife, so the closest I have come is the manatee rehab facility where I volunteer, which can be consider aquatic/wildlife. I have been searching to see if I find something else but without luck. There is only one zoo in the whole island and the vet there goes and comes as needed, anyhow thanks for the advice.
 
@themoutainsarecalling Thank you so much! That is understandable. After this semester, I'll have like 4 prerequisites left. 3 will be taken in the fall and 1 in the spring. So not sure if that will hurt. I'll just go ahead and apply. If I don't get in, I'll improve where I need to after a file review. I'd really like to get in on the first try, but it's understandable if I don't. If anything I'll use that year to work to save money and gain experience, and maybe even take some vet school classes? Another interesting note is that the classes I received credit for were mainly humanities and statistics. I tested for some Spanish credit I took general bio, chemistry, cell bio, now I'm in organic. I also took 2 semesters of calc at college... so it's not like I'm not taking the classes. I am in a squished format. If I'm able to get good grades in them.... then that aspect shouldn't hurt me. But other types of experience maybe so.


I had to jump in here...if you have that many prerequisites left to take next year (assuming you apply this cycle you said you would have four prerequisites still to take), I would DEFINITELY wait. That is the ONLY reason I didn't get an interview to my top school. They actually told this to me in my file review. Sooo frustrating. Especially if they are science courses you'll be taking. Most schools will not look at your fall grades because they're looking at your application as it was submitted (before any fall or spring grades are shown). They have no idea how you will do in any of those classes so they much prefer you have all of your classes done before you apply. Especially if you want to get in the first time around you have a much better chance if you wait a year. That way you have all of your classes done by spring 2017 and you can apply that cycle with all of your prerequisites done. It is not that easy to just do file reviews and reapply it hurts a lot. Also because if all of your friends are applying and getting interviews and they have all their classes finished, it doesn't feel good. You may be kicking yourself thinking "ugh I should've waited". Also you get more experience that way too.
 
Last edited:
I'm taking Microbiology in the summer. Next Fall I'll take Orgo II, Physics II, and genetics. For the Spring, I'll just have biochemistry left.. so some people tell me this will hurt me so idk.

Yes read my below comment.... Was in same situation as you... And it hurt me. I don't want what I said to be negative but it's just my opinion..
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I want to go to vet school and mainly interested in equine sports medicine - I'd ultimately like to be a track vet. I've been thinking about vet school since before I even finished my first degree. I didn't attempt prevet or vet school from the beginning because I was not the traditional prevet candidate. I was not a good student in high school - I was not brought up in the best environment. Now that I have gotten through a bachelor of science and learned how to study I feel more confident that I could get the grades needed in the prerequisites. I have the work ethic and motivation. Although, I am pretty discouraged after researching what it takes to get accepted to vet school. I am the non traditional candidate, 27 years old and have a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics with a minor in math. I live in Louisiana - my best chance of acceptance is LSU and cheapest may I add. I'm worried that they will see the C's and D's (from 2011-2012) I got in my undergraduate degree and throw me into the trash pile - even with a good prerequisite and last 45 hours GPA. I have been riding horses since I was a kid, trained and won many awards. I also was an exercise rider at a private racetrack throughout high school. Hopefully my experience with horses would count for something. I have a little bit of vet tech experience and if I decide that I actually have a shot at getting accepted I will find a job at a clinic to get more vet tech experience and letters of recommendation. I can't see myself loving my job in any field other than equine vet. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hello all, I want to go to vet school and mainly interested in equine sports medicine - I'd ultimately like to be a track vet. I've been thinking about vet school since before I even finished my first degree. I didn't attempt prevet or vet school from the beginning because I was not the traditional prevet candidate. I was not a good student in high school - I was not brought up in the best environment. Now that I have gotten through a bachelor of science and learned how to study I feel more confident that I could get the grades needed in the prerequisites. I have the work ethic and motivation. Although, I am pretty discouraged after researching what it takes to get accepted to vet school. I am the non traditional candidate, 27 years old and have a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics with a minor in math. I live in Louisiana - my best chance of acceptance is LSU and cheapest may I add. I'm worried that they will see the C's and D's (from 2011-2012) I got in my undergraduate degree and throw me into the trash pile - even with a good prerequisite and last 45 hours GPA. I have been riding horses since I was a kid, trained and won many awards. I also was an exercise rider at a private racetrack throughout high school. Hopefully my experience with horses would count for something. I have a little bit of vet tech experience and if I decide that I actually have a shot at getting accepted I will find a job at a clinic to get more vet tech experience and letters of recommendation. I can't see myself loving my job in any field other than equine vet. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hello all, I want to go to vet school and mainly interested in equine sports medicine - I'd ultimately like to be a track vet. I've been thinking about vet school since before I even finished my first degree. I didn't attempt prevet or vet school from the beginning because I was not the traditional prevet candidate. I was not a good student in high school - I was not brought up in the best environment. Now that I have gotten through a bachelor of science and learned how to study I feel more confident that I could get the grades needed in the prerequisites. I have the work ethic and motivation. Although, I am pretty discouraged after researching what it takes to get accepted to vet school. I am the non traditional candidate, 27 years old and have a Bachelor of Science in Geophysics with a minor in math. I live in Louisiana - my best chances of acceptance are LSU and cheapest may I add. I'm worried that they will see the C's and D's (from 2011-2012) I got in my undergraduate degree and throw me into the trash pile - even with a good prerequisite and last 45 hours GPA. I have been riding horses since I was a kid, trained and won many awards. I also was an exercise rider at a private racetrack throughout high school. Hopefully my experience with horses would count for something. I have a little bit of vet tech experience and if I decide that I actually have a shot at getting accepted I will find a job at clinic to get more vet tech experience and letters of recommendation. I can't see myself loving my job in any field other than equine vet. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.
What was your undergrad GPA? VMCAS will also calculate the last 45 credit hour GPA and your science GPA. It sounds like you have a lot of equine experience, which is good. However, diverse animal experience IMO is highly regarded. If you do not have experience in other species, I would also consider that. My suggestion is to be absolutely certain this is what you want to do since you have researched the challenges. If you are completely sure, start taking your pre-reqs and study hard because you will want good grades especially in those classes. The GRE is also important and you will have to study hard. Also, according to some schools, you will need a minimum of (I believe) 400 veterinary experience hours. Most people have over this amount. However, quality is better than quantity when it comes to intern hours. I would try to intern at different types of clinics (I.e. small and large) to get a diverse experience. All of the schools I was interviewed at mentioned that they like to see diversity and for prospective students to have an open mind even though they believe that they may have a current species of interest.

I know it sounds like a lot, and in all reality it is. Keep your perseverance, study hard, and get that experience and you may be on your way!
 
What was your undergrad GPA? VMCAS will also calculate the last 45 credit hour GPA and your science GPA. It sounds like you have a lot of equine experience, which is good. However, diverse animal experience IMO is highly regarded. If you do not have experience in other species, I would also consider that. My suggestion is to be absolutely certain this is what you want to do since you have researched the challenges. If you are completely sure, start taking your pre-reqs and study hard because you will want good grades especially in those classes. The GRE is also important and you will have to study hard. Also, according to some schools, you will need a minimum of (I believe) 400 veterinary experience hours. Most people have over this amount. However, quality is better than quantity when it comes to intern hours. I would try to intern at different types of clinics (I.e. small and large) to get a diverse experience. All of the schools I was interviewed at mentioned that they like to see diversity and for prospective students to have an open mind even though they believe that they may have a current species of interest.

I know it sounds like a lot, and in all reality it is. Keep your perseverance, study hard, and get that experience and you may be on your way!

My undergrad GPA is a C+ B- range. Now when you say they calculate your science GPA does that include ALL science - I took a lot of geoscience classes and did well in some and not so well in others.
 
My undergrad GPA is a C+ B- range. Now when you say they calculate your science GPA does that include ALL science - I took a lot of geoscience classes and did well in some and not so well in others.
The list of GPA's they calculate is as follows...GPA by year, GPA of science-based coursed, GPA of non-science based courses, by course subjects (I.e. Math, Biology, etc.), and the last 45 credit hour GPA. If your cumGPA for undergrad is in the B-C+ range, then that is going to be a definite sore spot, sorry 🙁. I would suggest retaking some classes you did not do so well in and also rocking your pre-reqs. I got in with a cumGPA of 3.4ish on my second try and I had to retake a couple of classes. The min cumGPA required varies among schools (some its a 3.0 and others its like a 2.7), but I have not seen lower than a 2.7 for the cutoff to even be considered. I hope this helped clarify some things.
 
@heyyimhayley @Jilary (Just tagging the two you because you responded to me earlier)

I've realized that I can't wait until file reviews to decide whether to retake a class because I would probably need to register for a class before they even start scheduling file reviews. So, in your personal opinion, do you think that I need to go for the retake if I'm serious about improving my chances? I'm thinking that if I retake anything at all I can really only afford one class if any.

Also, for the purposes of vet school and the gpas that they calculate does it make any difference that I'd be doing the retake post bac? Will they treat it like any other retake?
If I'm retaking a class does it matter if I do it at the same college (ie same exact course) or can I retake an equivalent course at a different school? Do I need to just ask the vet school these questions?
 
@heyyimhayley @Jilary (Just tagging the two you because you responded to me earlier)

I've realized that I can't wait until file reviews to decide whether to retake a class because I would probably need to register for a class before they even start scheduling file reviews. So, in your personal opinion, do you think that I need to go for the retake if I'm serious about improving my chances? I'm thinking that if I retake anything at all I can really only afford one class if any.

Also, for the purposes of vet school and the gpas that they calculate does it make any difference that I'd be doing the retake post bac? Will they treat it like any other retake?
If I'm retaking a class does it matter if I do it at the same college (ie same exact course) or can I retake an equivalent course at a different school? Do I need to just ask the vet school these questions?
If I were you I would register for the course, you can always cancel it later.

I don't believe schools differentiate between undergrad classes and post bac and you can definitely retake the course at a different (cheaper) school without any recourse. Caviate being schools that weight course intensity, so class 101 at Y university is more highly regarded then the same class at X university, even then I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. Also, some schools accept the retakes as a replacement of the first grade (few) while others average the original and retaken grade (most) while others look at both (rare?) So make sure you take that into account when applying.
 
If I were you I would register for the course, you can always cancel it later.

I don't believe schools differentiate between undergrad classes and post bac and you can definitely retake the course at a different (cheaper) school without any recourse. Caviate being schools that weight course intensity, so class 101 at Y university is more highly regarded then the same class at X university, even then I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. Also, some schools accept the retakes as a replacement of the first grade (few) while others average the original and retaken grade (most) while others look at both (rare?) So make sure you take that into account when applying.

Of course I can cancel it later. I can't believe I forgot that... thank you for pointing it out as it definitely makes my next couple of steps a lot easier to think about.

Last I knew Michigan replaces (although ever since they updated their website I cannot find where they address that) so I figure if I retake one of the science courses I'm giving a decent little bump to both my science and last 3 semester gpas? I think if I were to get an A it would put them at a 3.14 and 3.47 respectively.

It will not be easy to swallow the bill though. I know it's nothing compared to what I'm signing up for by pursuing vet school... but it's still an additional expense and that stinks. Which is why I only want to pay for a retake if it's likely to be worth it.
 
Of course I can cancel it later. I can't believe I forgot that... thank you for pointing it out as it definitely makes my next couple of steps a lot easier to think about.

Last I knew Michigan replaces (although ever since they updated their website I cannot find where they address that) so I figure if I retake one of the science courses I'm giving a decent little bump to both my science and last 3 semester gpas? I think if I were to get an A it would put them at a 3.14 and 3.47 respectively.

It will not be easy to swallow the bill though. I know it's nothing compared to what I'm signing up for by pursuing vet school... but it's still an additional expense and that stinks. Which is why I only want to pay for a retake if it's likely to be worth it.


I have to retake a class as well due to a horrible beyond horrible teacher that looking back I should have taken dropped it and taken the W.. Grrrr. Luckily my GPA is relatively high. So I'm retaking the same class but at a different university that is one more unit that the class I took. It will be $$ yes but worth it once I get that A.

Does anyone know which schools take the NEW grade?? Thanks for any help you can give!
 
The list of GPA's they calculate is as follows...GPA by year, GPA of science-based coursed, GPA of non-science based courses, by course subjects (I.e. Math, Biology, etc.), and the last 45 credit hour GPA. If your cumGPA for undergrad is in the B-C+ range, then that is going to be a definite sore spot, sorry 🙁. I would suggest retaking some classes you did not do so well in and also rocking your pre-reqs. I got in with a cumGPA of 3.4ish on my second try and I had to retake a couple of classes. The min cumGPA required varies among schools (some its a 3.0 and others its like a 2.7), but I have not seen lower than a 2.7 for the cutoff to even be considered. I hope this helped clarify some things.

I thought LSU only calculated the last 45 and pre-requisite GPA?
 
Finnick,

What about doing your repeat class(es) at an community college? I know it'll be much cheaper than doing it at a university. I did all my Chem, bio, OChem, math and physics at a CC and I haven't had that hurt me yet this cycle.
I do guess it all depends on what you'd be replacing though, and if any of the schools you are planning on applying to next year look at rigor of the class.

*I just read Jilary's post better and I think she was saying effectively the same thing
 
Your research hours are definitely a plus. However, I don't think they will make up for only 150 vet hours. You'll need more vet hours for sure.

I agree with Kata, your veterinary hours are where you should focus your time.

In terms of your question about your MS making up for the low GPA, no it wouldn't unless it were higher than your cum GPA, which you said it wasn't. Your GPA is low, but not deal breaker low, so if you should spend some time over the course of the next 9 months (if you're applying this cycle) gaining quality and diverse experience to have a better chance.

So my plan for the coming months is:

-find some small animal vet I can shadow.
-take a couple classes (such as ecology) to bump up my GPA.
-return to working with the feral cat group.

Does this sound good?
 
So my plan for the coming months is:

-find some small animal vet I can shadow.
-take a couple classes (such as ecology) to bump up my GPA.
-return to working with the feral cat group.

Does this sound good?
This sounds like a acceptable plan. You definitely want to get your vet hours up as much as possible. Please remember that quality is better than quantity. I know that the previous sentence has been said a million times, but it is important. If possible, you want somewhere that you will actually help out and gain knowledge that will help you in vet school. Also, if you only have small animal hours, try to diversify yourself by shadowing a large animal or exotic vet.

When taking more classes, make sure you take classes that can actually help you in the future (ecology is okay) to bump up your GPA. Be careful trying to bump it up with "fun" classes because schools can see through that. You are probably aware of this, but I just wanted to stress the point.

The feral cat group seems like a unique item for your application.
 
First time applicant
BS in Animal Science, vet bioscience concentration

Cum GPA: 3.58
Req GPA: 3.45
Last 45 GPA: 3.4 (Still have 2 semesters worth of classes to add to this)

GRE: Will be taking in May

Vet experience:
  • 3,200 hrs small animal/wildlife/exotics
  • 200 hrs Christian Veterinary Missions trip with my school's CVM
  • 50 hrs equine
  • 20 hrs (in progress) with an orthopedic surgeon at my school's CVM
  • 70 hrs (in progress) as a large animal caretaker at my school's CVM
Research:
  • 100 hrs swine
  • 60 hrs equine
  • 60 hrs dairy (in progress)
  • Independent project in canine orthopedics (in progress)
  • Independent dairy project will be executed in April, will be presented as my honors project in August

Animal experience:
  • 2000 hrs stable hand/show rider
  • 500 hrs dairy unit employee + State Fair showman
  • 200 hrs training trail horses for a vet
  • 300 hrs farm sitting for veterinarians
  • 70 hrs volunteering for a therapeutic riding center
I'm an officer for a prevet club, an undergraduate ambassador for my college, and a licensed small mammal wildlife rehabilitator.

Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, nice experience hours! Your research hours are good to add to your application as well. A lot of schools like to see diverse experiences and you look like you bring that to the table. I would not be worried about experiences.

As for your GPA, you should be competitive with ~3.6 especially if you rocked your recent classes. Your required class GPA and last 45 GPA are okay, but they will increase if you took required classes the past 2 semesters and did well in them. Overall, your GPA seem okay given the other parts of your application. However, you still want to continue to get them as high as you can. It does say something about your academics that you were considered for a Food Animal Scholars program - be proud of that.

You definitely want to retake the class(es) that you got below a C. Vet schools usually do not accept a grade below a C. Since the one you mentioned is a required course, that is where you should direct your attention.
 
Wow, nice experience hours! Your research hours are good to add to your application as well. A lot of schools like to see diverse experiences and you look like you bring that to the table. I would not be worried about experiences.

As for your GPA, you should be competitive with ~3.6 especially if you rocked your recent classes. Your required class GPA and last 45 GPA are okay, but they will increase if you took required classes the past 2 semesters and did well in them. Overall, your GPA seem okay given the other parts of your application. However, you still want to continue to get them as high as you can. It does say something about your academics that you were considered for a Food Animal Scholars program - be proud of that.

You definitely want to retake the class(es) that you got below a C. Vet schools usually do not accept a grade below a C. Since the one you mentioned is a required course, that is where you should direct your attention.

Okay, so you think I still have a shot? Still, my GPA seems so low when I look at who is actually accepted. It's a win-lose situation - my experience rocks because I'm running around 24/7 like a madwoman, but that's also why my GPA is mediocre. I'm a sharp student but my GPA doesn't show it.
 
Last edited:
Okay, so you think I still have a shot? The D+ is the only class I will have to retake. The only other course below a B is a C+ in orgo. Still, my GPA seems so low when I look at who is actually accepted. I'm so worried. It's a win-lose situation - my experience rocks because I'm running around 24/7 like a madwoman, but that's also why my GPA is mediocre. I'm a sharp student but my GPA doesn't show it.
Honestly, it depends on the school(s) that you apply to and what they look at. IMHO I would say that your GPA is not bad at all (its average or slightly above). It is good to look at previous accepted class statistics. Some schools look at mainly your last 45 GPA while others look at all of them. Some schools value having excellent research and experience hours over a 4.0 GPA (which is what you are doing). I would say you have a pretty good application IMO. One other C in a class is not going to kill your application. Just be mindful of the schools you apply to and what they are looking for in prospective students.
 
Also, if you only have small animal hours, try to diversify yourself by shadowing a large animal or exotic vet.

LOL. I actually have equine and research hours (including some species you would consider 'exotic'). I am actually lacking in small animal hours (which is odd, I know).


When taking more classes, make sure you take classes that can actually help you in the future (ecology is okay) to bump up your GPA. Be careful trying to bump it up with "fun" classes because schools can see through that. You are probably aware of this, but I just wanted to stress the point.

The feral cat group seems like a unique item for your application.


Thank you for the input!
 
Still, my GPA seems so low when I look at who is actually accepted.

Don't let comparing yourself to others discourage you or make you pessimistic about your chances. Could you have a better GPA? Yeah, of course. But a GPA is not everything and plenty of people make it in with lower GPAs or don't make it in with higher GPAs

I applied with GPAs lower than yours and made the alternate list at the school I applied to. You look like you're in pretty decent shape to me.
 
Don't let comparing yourself to others discourage you or make you pessimistic about your chances. Could you have a better GPA? Yeah, of course. But a GPA is not everything and plenty of people make it in with lower GPAs or don't make it in with higher GPAs

I applied with GPAs lower than yours and made the alternate list at the school I applied to. You look like you're in pretty decent shape to me.

Ahhh, so true. Thank you for the encouragement! What you guys are saying makes me feel a little bit better. I really appreciate the input!
 
Hey there!! If I could get any feedback it would be greatly appreciated!!! :]:highfive:

First time applicant
Degree(s): B.S. Biology and B.S. Animal Behavior [2014]


Undergraduate Cum. GPA: 3.591
Biology GPA: 3.33
Animal Behavior GPA: 3.56

Graduate GPA/Last 45: 4.0 [Biology Masters Student]

Also, enrolled in a Certificate in Applied Animal Behavior Program - expecting a 4.0 as well.
(Psych 291: Principles of Applied Animal Behavior, Applied Animal Behavior in Practice, and Comparative Animal Behavior)


GRE:
Verbal 150*
Quant 150*
-Taking again in May, I know these scores are super average lol


Animal Experience
96 Hours volunteering at an animal shelter (Volunteer Trainer and Cat Care Volunteer) and apprenticing with a dog trainer.

Vet Experience
300 Hours at a variety of small animal hospitals and working as a medical assistant at an animal shelter.

Research Experience
~3800 hours (2 years as a Biology Graduate Student) working in an animal behavior lab investigating the effects of stress on behavior, physiology, and the transcriptome.


The "AWESOME" Factor
-National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program Fellow
-Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Fellow**

I'm currently in Panama** working on my thesis sooooo when I get back to the states in April I'm going to work on my AE and VE. I should be able to bulk them up to 150 and 550 respectively.......aiming to wait until August to send in my VMCAS 😉

My goal is Penn's VMD/PhD program and to work in behavioral medicine.......debating about applying to other schools.....UPenn would be my IS.

Congratulations you've reached the end of my post. lol! Thanks if you read all of this!!! ^_^:soexcited:
 
Hey there!! If I could get any feedback it would be greatly appreciated!!! :]:highfive:

First time applicant
Degree(s): B.S. Biology and B.S. Animal Behavior [2014]


Undergraduate Cum. GPA: 3.591
Biology GPA: 3.33
Animal Behavior GPA: 3.56

Graduate GPA/Last 45: 4.0 [Biology Masters Student]

Also, enrolled in a Certificate in Applied Animal Behavior Program - expecting a 4.0 as well.
(Psych 291: Principles of Applied Animal Behavior, Applied Animal Behavior in Practice, and Comparative Animal Behavior)


GRE:
Verbal 150*
Quant 150*
-Taking again in May, I know these scores are super average lol


Animal Experience
96 Hours volunteering at an animal shelter (Volunteer Trainer and Cat Care Volunteer) and apprenticing with a dog trainer.

Vet Experience
300 Hours at a variety of small animal hospitals and working as a medical assistant at an animal shelter.

Research Experience
~3800 hours (2 years as a Biology Graduate Student) working in an animal behavior lab investigating the effects of stress on behavior, physiology, and the transcriptome.


The "AWESOME" Factor
-National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program Fellow
-Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Fellow**

I'm currently in Panama** working on my thesis sooooo when I get back to the states in April I'm going to work on my AE and VE. I should be able to bulk them up to 150 and 550 respectively.......aiming to wait until August to send in my VMCAS 😉

My goal is Penn's VMD/PhD program and to work in behavioral medicine.......debating about applying to other schools.....UPenn would be my IS.

Congratulations you've reached the end of my post. lol! Thanks if you read all of this!!! ^_^:soexcited:



Definitely try and increase your veterinary hours! Also look for broader experiences (Large Animal, Equine, Wildlife) if possible. Your research experience looks great and will really help you stand out! UPenn is one of the only schools that prefers depth to breadth, so if that's your top choice maybe pursue a lot of hours in just one facet of vet med.

Your GPA is pretty good and last 45 is awesome! Definitely retake the GRE (the ETS book helped me a lot) as your scores are actually pretty far below average for vet school (UPenn averages are 166V and 164 Q from their own website.

Overall I think you're looking really good 🙂
 
Definitely try and increase your veterinary hours! Also look for broader experiences (Large Animal, Equine, Wildlife) if possible. Your research experience looks great and will really help you stand out! UPenn is one of the only schools that prefers depth to breadth, so if that's your top choice maybe pursue a lot of hours in just one facet of vet med.

Your GPA is pretty good and last 45 is awesome! Definitely retake the GRE (the ETS book helped me a lot) as your scores are actually pretty far below average for vet school (UPenn averages are 166V and 164 Q from their own website.

Overall I think you're looking really good 🙂

Thank you so much!!!! All definitely noted!!! I bought another Kaplan book and updated set of flash cards to study for my upcoming GRE test. I've been studying during my down time in Panama :] Thank you again for your critique! Much appreciated!! :claps:
 
Hi there! I just got denied from my IS school OSU and I am looking for things to improve on next cycle. I have already scheduled my file review because I know that should give me some perspective. Ok here goes.....
Biology major/ Chem minor
Cum GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: maybe a 3.50? slightly lower but not terrible
GRE: 150 V/ 152 Q/ 4.5 writing
Experience: -4,500 SA vet assistant
-1,000 hours volunteering at Arabian horse farm continuing
- 300 hours working at a dairy farm continuing
-100 hours volunteering at National Aviary
-100 hours shadowing LA vet
-100 hours shadowing SA vet
-50 hours animal research
-50 hours genetics research continuing


Currently hold a degree in veterinary assisting (4.0 GPA), received shelter animal medicine and care scholarship, also have about 8,000 hours of customer service experience (I'm a nontraditional)
Thanks for the feedback!
 
Hi there! I just got denied from my IS school OSU and I am looking for things to improve on next cycle. I have already scheduled my file review because I know that should give me some perspective. Ok here goes.....
Biology major/ Chem minor
Cum GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: maybe a 3.50? slightly lower but not terrible
GRE: 150 V/ 152 Q/ 4.5 writing
Experience: -4,500 SA vet assistant
-1,000 hours volunteering at Arabian horse farm continuing
- 300 hours working at a dairy farm continuing
-100 hours volunteering at National Aviary
-100 hours shadowing LA vet
-100 hours shadowing SA vet
-50 hours animal research
-50 hours genetics research continuing


Currently hold a degree in veterinary assisting (4.0 GPA), received shelter animal medicine and care scholarship, also have about 8,000 hours of customer service experience (I'm a nontraditional)
Thanks for the feedback!
Well your numbers for vet experience are good, although it is pretty heavily SA. Maybe increase you diversity a bit more. Your GPA's are look pretty good (definitely have seen people with lower GPA's than that be accepted). Your GRE scores are right at the average.

That is all I can see from your post. Do you have more information on your leadership roles, EC activities, animal experience growing up? How did your interview go if you had one?
 
In my interview they asked about leadership roles and I told them that in group projects I always volunteer to be the leader but I don't have any managerial exp. or anything. I run and do yoga but they never asked me about EC activities, not that I have much time given I work, volunteer and go to school full time. Other than that it was difficult for me to gauge how my interview went, I didn't really feel stumped by any questions at OSU. I did get wait listed at WU but I know out of state tuition is really high there.
 
Hi guys, sorry in advance if I am posting in the wrong spot!

I was pre-vet in undergrad, graduated with honors but decided to take a gap year to decide between applying to vet or grad school.
Decided on grad: I could work towards a masters and if I decided to apply to vet school, I assumed the masters would only help me. I am a TN resident but got a full ride to a UC school in their ecology & evolutionary biology department. I'm 2 quarters in and miserable - I'm doing computer science stuff (coding, bioinformatics) and it's not right for me/not relevant to my interests. Furthermore, we do not receive grades in my program for coursework (just pass/fail), so it has no effect on my GPA.
Do to unfortunate circumstances, my family has asked for me to return home to help with my grandmother. I know I cannot quit grad school and expect any vet school to consider my application. I'm wondering what admissions would think of me switching from my current master's to another program -ie one closer to home, more relevant to physiology, and with grades that would increase my GPA (which is 3.85)

Cheers!
 
Hey! This is my first post and I was interested in some feedback!

I've wanted to become a veterinarian since I was a little girl (cliche, right?) so I'm working on it!

Female. 20. USA.
Degree: Bachelors in Biological Science (anticipated maybe 2018?)
GPA: Last I checked I think 3.0 or 3.1? Physics got me good. I had a C in general Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, and Physics 151 and I might get a C in 152... I use to have a 3.6 but that's crazy to think those simple courses effected it that much.

I have been taking at least 3 major science courses at one time which might make it seems tough as well as working too. I'm doing it though!

I have 100+ hours in shadowing that is still ongoing.
30+ hours of volunteering that is going up.

I never took a GRE before so I will have that in the near future.

I plan on going to MIchigan State Vet school. Getting my bachelors at University of Michigan.

Any feedback? What else can I do?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! This is my first post and I was interested in some feedback!

I've wanted to become a veterinarian since I was a little girl (cliche, right?) so I'm working on it!

Female. 20. USA.
Degree: Bachelors in Biological Science (anticipated maybe 2018?)
GPA: Last I checked I think 3.0 or 3.1? Physics got me good. I had a C in general Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, and Physics 151 and I might get a C in 152... I use to have a 3.6 but that's crazy to think those simple courses effected it that much.

I have been taking at least 3 major science courses at one time which might make it seems tough as well as working too. I'm doing it though!

I have 100+ hours in shadowing that is still ongoing.
30+ hours of volunteering that is going up.

I never took a GRE before so I will have that in the near future.

I plan on going to MIchigan State Vet school. Getting my bachelors at University of Michigan.

Any feedback? What else can I do?

Shadowing at a vet hospital? Small or large animal?
Volunteering with animals, at a vet hospital, or something else?
 
Hey! This is my first post and I was interested in some feedback!

I've wanted to become a veterinarian since I was a little girl (cliche, right?) so I'm working on it!

Female. 20. USA.
Degree: Bachelors in Biological Science (anticipated maybe 2018?)
GPA: Last I checked I think 3.0 or 3.1? Physics got me good. I had a C in general Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, and Physics 151 and I might get a C in 152... I use to have a 3.6 but that's crazy to think those simple courses effected it that much.

I have been taking at least 3 major science courses at one time which might make it seems tough as well as working too. I'm doing it though!

I have 100+ hours in shadowing that is still ongoing.
30+ hours of volunteering that is going up.

I never took a GRE before so I will have that in the near future.

I plan on going to MIchigan State Vet school. Getting my bachelors at University of Michigan.

Any feedback? What else can I do?
I know you are still early on in the game. I would definitely get up your vet and animal experience hours. Most vet schools require something like 500 vet hours minimum. Quality is better than quantity. A few hours of actual "hands on" learning is better than 10 hours of just watching. Additionally, you want to think about diversity with your animal and vet experiences. Vet schools like to see applicants that have explored the spectrum of vet practices/specialties. The animal shelter and soup kitchen are good places to volunteer. I would also consider participating in EC activities and clubs while at your undergrad institution and try to attain some leadership roles.

The GRE is a difficult test if you are not the best standardized test taker (like me 😛). I would recommend taking the Kaplan course or other study course before taking the GRE for the first time just to brush up on your math and reasoning skills.

Your cumGPA is a little on the low side. I would suggest doing everything that you can to get high marks from now on and try to pull your grade up in 152. A couple of C's aren't usually an issue, but you have around 6 which is what is hurting your GPA. I would also suggest retaking any main required classes that you go C's in (Chem and physics probably). Talk to your adviser and come up with a plan of attack for that. If you are having trouble in classes, seek help with the instructor or even a tutor. They are usually happy to help and it really makes a difference.
 
I know you are still early on in the game. I would definitely get up your vet and animal experience hours. Most vet schools require something like 500 vet hours minimum. Quality is better than quantity. A few hours of actual "hands on" learning is better than 10 hours of just watching. Additionally, you want to think about diversity with your animal and vet experiences. Vet schools like to see applicants that have explored the spectrum of vet practices/specialties. The animal shelter and soup kitchen are good places to volunteer. I would also consider participating in EC activities and clubs while at your undergrad institution and try to attain some leadership roles.

The GRE is a difficult test if you are not the best standardized test taker (like me 😛). I would recommend taking the Kaplan course or other study course before taking the GRE for the first time just to brush up on your math and reasoning skills.

Your cumGPA is a little on the low side. I would suggest doing everything that you can to get high marks from now on and try to pull your grade up in 152. A couple of C's aren't usually an issue, but you have around 6 which is what is hurting your GPA. I would also suggest retaking any main required classes that you go C's in (Chem and physics probably). Talk to your adviser and come up with a plan of attack for that. If you are having trouble in classes, seek help with the instructor or even a tutor. They are usually happy to help and it really makes a difference.


I called MSU and they said they use to require up to 270 hours of shadowing but not anymore but it's highly recommended to have at least 100. I'm already good on that but I'm still getting more.

I plan on joining clubs at the university I'm going to in the fall and I am so excited! I want a leadership role! 🙂

I plan on doing better there sinc do have a clean slate and new GPA but I will retake the classes if needed.

I'm worried about Organic Chemistry and Calculus. I'll be taking those in the same semesters and they're tough...
 
I called MSU and they said they use to require up to 270 hours of shadowing but not anymore but it's highly recommended to have at least 100. I'm already good on that but I'm still getting more.

I plan on joining clubs at the university I'm going to in the fall and I am so excited! I want a leadership role! 🙂

I plan on doing better there sinc do have a clean slate and new GPA but I will retake the classes if needed.

I'm worried about Organic Chemistry and Calculus. I'll be taking those in the same semesters and they're tough...

Remember to go above and beyond the requirements! So although MSU suggests at least a 100, keep in mind there will be applicants with thousands of hours! Also remember that although your new undergrad starts you over with a new GPA, vet schools calculate all grades in to one big cumulative GPA. They calculate it themselves from the grades on all your transcripts, not just the GPA listed on your most current one! Good luck to you! It's not an easy road but one that's worth it never is!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.