This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great news. I noticed MSU changed some things around even from last year about their prerequisites as well. It has been very encouraging to hear all of your responses and I appreciate them more than you know. I have worked as a vet assistant for about 5 years and (like all of you I'm sure) have always wanted to be a vet. I just started my college career at the wrong time and it was coupled with some hard times with my family which made it difficult to achieve any sort of respectable GPA. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are schools that you can apply for a dismissal of anything over ten years old. I'm not sure which ones though so you'll have to look that up.

I just wanted to ask for more clarity on what you said. Do you mean on the vet school applications? Thanks!

I just wanted to ask for more clarity on what you said. Do you mean on the vet school applications? Thanks!
I believe so. Somewhere I applied was one that you could request things over 10 years old to be disregarded and had to write a little statement why they should just disregard those grades. I believe it was in the school's supplemental part of the VMCAS application. I don't entirely remember which school it was because I didn't pay too much attention to the section because it didn't apply to me.
Edit: I feel like it was Illinois.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember that on Illinois supplement.

Who voted "Great!" on the poll?? Unacceptable

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys so I was wondering if I could get some advice but also wondering what my chances are?
I just finished my junior year of undergrad I was previously premed then switched to prevet. I have a good bit of animal experience including being raised on a farm, bottle feeding kittens, raising goats, puppies, chickens, etc. I volunteer as a foster for an animal rescue group and I work as a veterinary assistant. I also do research on how exercise protects your brain from stress. My gpa is kindof low. I have a 3.32 and I am majoring in neuroscience. I am planning on retaking a couple of courses I did poorly on, but what else should I do to better my chances of getting in? What are my chances of getting in? Should I wait til my application is at its best to apply? Which schools would be best to apply to?

If possible, could you give some more info? With the lower cGPA, it's hard to gauge your chances without more info. There's a basic outline people tend to use. If you look through the previous few pages, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hello everyone!
I wanted to see what your thoughts were about an issue I'm having. I started into college right after high school when I wasn't ready or even sure what I wanted to do. To no big surprise, I lacked motivation and did poorly. This was in 2005-2007. At the time, my gpa was 2.07. I took a break, came back to my senses about 3 years later after working for awhile and did much better, but my previous gpa still haunted me. I switched schools, which I believe was a large part of the problem and changed things around, taking upper level classes and some graduate courses as a sophmore and started making the deans list and finishing off with a 4.0 my final semester which includes a field research project in India. I am 30 now, finished my bachelors a few years back and at my final school I had a 3.3 gpa overall.
My problem? When I factor in my first schools grades to figure out a total gpa for applications, it comes out to a 2.7 because I did so poorly initially. However, the first school's grades were about 11 years ago. So my question is, do they still count? Do I factor them in on applications or only my cum gpa from the university I graduated from which is still in a relevant time frame? I am studying for the GRE and taking prerequisites and doing well in them. I have about 4500 hours working with vets in an ER, a mobile practice and a day practice. I also have about 2000 hours volunteering at a zoo with exotics, 600 working at a wildlife rehab center as well.

It's painful because those grades from 11 years ago in no way reflect who I am as a student now, but I don't know how to go about fixing it. Any ideas? Has anyone else gone through something similar? Any advice would be appreciated!

I believe I have also heard of some schools dismissing grades older than a certain length of time. I would make a school list with that in mind and email those schools to see if they dismiss old grades. Kansas is also a school that looks at last 45 rather than cumulative; CSU looks more at trends than cGPA. However, that's a bit far from Ohio. Illinois might be a good choice as well. I was accepted with a 3.3 and I get a sense that Illinois likes non-trads who go through the life change process. Quite a few people in my class are older than you. They're also close to Ohio.

I'm guessing since you're in Florida, that U of F is your in-state school? They look at GPAs a bit more than most schools and their average GPAs are fairly high. They have extensive stats from accepted applicants on their site, so you should definitely take a look. IIRC, they also value GRE highly so doing well on that could help make up for your GPAs.

If you can get your last 45 GPA up, that would help a lot since some schools consider it highly or only look at the last 45 GPA. If you search this forum, you can find a lot more info about those schools.

Your veterinary and animal experience hours look good. Just make sure you have some in multiple areas of veterinary medicine.
I am a resident of CT though, so I don't have a vet school in state. I do have Tufts nearby in MA though.

Yes there are a few vet schools (I think one is Illinois) where if your education is over 10 years old you can submit something to have it "thrown out" so to speak. It is for situations similar to yours. Best of luck to you and yours!

If possible, could you give some more info? With the lower cGPA, it's hard to gauge your chances without more info. There's a basic outline people tend to use. If you look through the previous few pages, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I believe I have also heard of some schools dismissing grades older than a certain length of time. I would make a school list with that in mind and email those schools to see if they dismiss old grades. Kansas is also a school that looks at last 45 rather than cumulative; CSU looks more at trends than cGPA. However, that's a bit far from Ohio. Illinois might be a good choice as well. I was accepted with a 3.3 and I get a sense that Illinois likes non-trads who go through the life change process. Quite a few people in my class are older than you. They're also close to Ohio.

I wanted to apply to Illinois but it seems as though they won't accept prerequisite courses that were taken online. Unfortunately with my job schedule, online is my main option for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to apply to Illinois but it seems as though they won't accept prerequisite courses that were taken online. Unfortunately with my job schedule, online is my main option for now.

I didn't realize they did not accept only courses. I only had one online science course (evolution), but I'm not sure if their counted it or not.

I didn't realize they did not accept only courses. I only had one online science course (evolution), but I'm not sure if their counted it or not.

I just came across it the other day when researching schools. They say "Correspondence studies will not be considered as satisfying required course work." It's unfortunate because for some, online courses are the only option, myself included. But there seem to be many that allow, it's just frustrating because I wanted to apply to Illinois.

I just came across it the other day when researching schools. They say "Correspondence studies will not be considered as satisfying required course work." It's unfortunate because for some, online courses are the only option, myself included. But there seem to be many that allow, it's just frustrating because I wanted to apply to Illinois.
Is this on the official school site? You might go ahead and contact them directly as sometimes info is outdated or taken out of context.

Is this on the official school site? You might go ahead and contact them directly as sometimes info is outdated or taken out of context.

It is on their official website but didn't think about how it may be outdated. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and I'll let you all know what I find. Good idea, didn't thinking about that!

Hi everyone, I would love your feedback on my application stats, thoughts on where I should apply or whether or not I should wait to apply in the next cycle, and, if I should wait, what I should do to improve my application. Thanks in advance!

21 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology, Baylor University
Minor in Biochemistry
Will graduate from Baylor in December 2017

Cum GPA: 3.47
BCPM GPA: 3.28

Veterinary Experience:
- 750 hours equine
- Current internship w/ small animal vet

Animal Experience:
- 1200 hours employed working in the barn of a summer camp
- 500 hours as a member of Baylor's D1 equestrian team, riding/working with horses that I don't own
- 50 hours volunteering at a therapeutic riding center
- 100 hours of dog ownership
- 100 hours of horse ownership

Letters of Recommendation
-Baylor O-Chem Professor
-Equine Veterinarian I worked for
-Current SA Veternarian I work for

GRE: Registered to take for the first time on 5/27

Leadership/extracurriculars:
-I'm one of the VPs of my sorority
-NCAA D1 equestrian team
-have held lower level leadership positions in one other student organization
-member of a couple honors societies

My concerns:
-Low GPA, and lowest GPA of all of college just happened this past semester
-I want to apply this year, but I'm not sure if having a weak first time application would hurt my second-time application if I don't get in.
-Baylor only allows course re-takes for courses with a grade of B- or lower, which I only have 4 hours of, so re-taking courses may not be a good solution to raising my GPA

Current plan is to apply for TAMU for 2018 entry and do some research to find a few other out of state schools who admit a good number of non-residents. After finishing vet school I want to practice equine sports med.

Thank you!

It is on their official website but didn't think about how it may be outdated. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and I'll let you all know what I find. Good idea, didn't thinking about that!
I'd definitely still check because, to me, correspondence courses are where you mail things in on your own time (like the OKSU and Purdue nutrition courses) and online courses being different, in my opinion. Definitely still call and just make sure because you don't want to interpret something wrong and not apply when you might be able to.

Hi everyone, I would love your feedback on my application stats, thoughts on where I should apply or whether or not I should wait to apply in the next cycle, and, if I should wait, what I should do to improve my application. Thanks in advance!

21 years old, female, Texas resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Biology, Baylor University
Minor in Biochemistry
Will graduate from Baylor in December 2017

Cum GPA: 3.47
BCPM GPA: 3.28

Veterinary Experience:
- 750 hours equine
- Current internship w/ small animal vet

Animal Experience:
- 1200 hours employed working in the barn of a summer camp
- 500 hours as a member of Baylor's D1 equestrian team, riding/working with horses that I don't own
- 50 hours volunteering at a therapeutic riding center
- 100 hours of dog ownership
- 100 hours of horse ownership

Letters of Recommendation
-Baylor O-Chem Professor
-Equine Veterinarian I worked for
-Current SA Veternarian I work for

GRE: Registered to take for the first time on 5/27

Leadership/extracurriculars:
-I'm one of the VPs of my sorority
-NCAA D1 equestrian team
-have held lower level leadership positions in one other student organization
-member of a couple honors societies

My concerns:
-Low GPA, and lowest GPA of all of college just happened this past semester
-I want to apply this year, but I'm not sure if having a weak first time application would hurt my second-time application if I don't get in.
-Baylor only allows course re-takes for courses with a grade of B- or lower, which I only have 4 hours of, so re-taking courses may not be a good solution to raising my GPA

Current plan is to apply for TAMU for 2018 entry and do some research to find a few other out of state schools who admit a good number of non-residents. After finishing vet school I want to practice equine sports med.

Thank you!
hey who r u

You weren't in my pre-vet org, I don't think?

PM me, I'm graduating from Baylor this Friday

Hi! I'm new the forum, I had started college with the intent of applying to vet school but got scared off by the amount of debt. After spending the last 2 years working I've realized that I made a mistake not applying and I want to give it a shot. I'm mostly afraid of my low GPA.

I'm a 24 year old NJ Resident, 1st time applicant

Education:
Bachelor of Science from Rutgers University (2015)
Majors: Animal Science, Biology
Minors: Biochemistry, Endocrine Physiology and Health, Equine Science
GPA- 3.3
GRE- registered to take soon

Veterinary/Research Experience:
Shadowing an equine veterinarian- 200 hours
Working for a small animal vet (dogs cats, occasional exotics)- 3,000
Equine Science/Exercise Physiology research- 200 hours
Equine grazing/pasture research- 60 hours
Research on the effects of maternal alcohol exposure prior to pregnancy in mice- 80 hours
Work at a contract research lab (canines, swine, primates)- 2000 hours
Research regarding the benefits of therapeutic horsemanship

Animal Experience
Therapeutic Riding Instructor/Equine Manager at a barn- 2000 hours
Equine Attendant at another barn- 500 hours
Volunteer at 2 therapeutic riding barns- 1000
10 years of owning/training my own horses
Supervised a course on training/handling/fitting sheep and goats- 50 hours
Supervised a course on fitting/handling horses- 20 hours

Other work/volunteer experience
Shadowed in a hospital pathology lab- 40 hours
Volunteered at an occupational therapy clinic- 20 hours
Volunteering/fundraising to start a retirement program for research primates
TA for systems physiology

Awards/Certifications
Jr. Volunteer of the year award at a therapeutic riding barn
Deans list 2 semesters
Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor
CPR/First Aid Certified
Is 3.3 your cumulative GPA? If so, what is your science GPA and last 45 hrs GPA? Those will help you get a better response :)

I'm 20 and in my junior year of undergrad, planning on applying this year

Undergrad overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.0
Major: Zoology
Minor: Equine Science

Experience:
~300 hours- small animal practice
~500 hours- zoo med (~300 were spent working as a tech)
~300 hours- reptile house
~50 hours- dog kennel
2 semesters working in research

Extracurriculars:
3 years in wildlife society (officer for 2)

Awards:
Have made Dean's List 4 times.

Last edited:
I'm 20 and in my junior year of undergrad, planning on applying this year to University of Illinois and Louisiana State University.

Undergrad overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.0
Major: Zoology
Minor: Equine Science

Experience:
~300 hours- small animal practice
~500 hours- zoo med (~300 were spent working as a tech)
~300 hours- reptile house
~50 hours- dog kennel
2 semesters working in research

Extracurriculars:
3 years in wildlife society (officer for 2)

Awards:
Have made Dean's List 4 times.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm taking it this weekend (feeling pretty confident about it). I know my GPA is pretty bad. I had two rough semesters, one where I got very sick and was basically high on Vicodin for a month straight, and this past one where I got diagnosed with major depression and was seeing a therapist. I ended up getting a D in organic chemistry 2 but the schools I want to apply to don't require it, will this pose an issue? What are my chances?
LSU looks heavily at science courses and GPAs (it's 47% of their admissions), a 3.0 probably will probably not land you on the top 150 GPA cut off list even with a great GRE. If you're trend GPA is good, I would apply to some schools that focus on that. Maybe get involved in some other extracurriculars while you have time to make you stand out more.

I guess since VMCAS is open, it's time to stop lurking...
26 years old, 2nd time applicant

Degrees:
B.S. in Math, minor in Japanese
B.S.in Biology (dual degree)

Cumulative GPA: 3.46
Science GPA: 3.45
Last 45: 3.30
GRE: 164/87% Q, 161/88% V, 4.0/59% W

Veterinary/Research experience:
-4600 hours translational research with swine and mice
-2000 hours small animal

Animal experience:
-1700 hours lab animal husbandry
-160 hours zoo husbandry
-7000 hours horse ownership/riding/training/competing/Pony Club (upper levels)

Other employment
-300 hours retail
-270 hours math tutoring

Extracurricular/volunteering
-University math club
-Peer TA for freshman bio lab (4 semesters)
-Pony Club leadership positions (regional and national)

My biggest concern is my GPA. I calculated it using VMCAS grade conversions, although I don't understand why they think a B+=3.3 :confused:. Not much I can do about it at this point. I’m also worried that I only have vet experience in two areas. I don’t know if it would be helpful to try to get some other shadowing experiences here and there if they’re only a few hours.

I’ve been doing research full-time for the last two years, and my responsibilities are almost entirely in the animal lab. I do echocardiography, surgical prep, surgical recovery, etc., and our lab animal vet assists in all our surgeries, so I was thinking about splitting the experience on the application between research and veterinary.

I’m fairly confident I can get good eLORs from my PI, lab animal vet, small animal vet, and professor I TA’d for. I also have significantly more experience than when I applied in 2013, and I was waitlisted at Cornell (OOS) that cycle.

Oh, and I’m also thinking about applying for DVM/PhD programs.

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any and all advice!

although I don't understand why they think a B+=3.3 :confused:.
A B+ is a bit better than a B, so you get more points for it, but not as good as an A- (3.7), which is not as good as an A/A+.

It's weird, but my university uses the same GPA scale as VMCAS, so I'm used to it.

A B+ is a bit better than a B, so you get more points for it, but not as good as an A- (3.7), which is not as good as an A/A+.

It's weird, but my university uses the same GPA scale as VMCAS, so I'm used to it.

Yeah, it makes sense from that perspective, only I've never been to a school that gives minus grades. Also, VMCAS says 3.5 is AB, which I had never heard of. Like I said, not much I can do about my GPA at this point :)

Yeah, it makes sense from that perspective, only I've never been to a school that gives minus grades. Also, VMCAS says 3.5 is AB, which I had never heard of. Like I said, not much I can do about my GPA at this point :)
Some schools use things like AB instead of pluses and minuses (cousins college did). So it's an A- and a B+ averaged on the VMCAS gpa scale. They just provide every grade they've seen/schools use, even though not all schools use every one of those grades.

Applied last cycle and was wait listed at both contract schools that I applied to (Mississippi and Virginia). Organic chem and biochem totally destroyed my GPA between the fall and spring semesters. I ended up going from a ~3.26 GPA to ~3.09. I have a legitimate excuse (in my eyes at least) for one of the bad grades (got an F in ochem2). In a situation where most people would just drop a course, I couldn't due to using veteran benefits. If I had withdrawn from the course I would have to repay 4-5 months of a housing allowance and tuition for a total of ~$4,000. I wasn't going to spend that much money just to save my GPA and my grade was way too far in the hole to save. In the end, I'll still be finishing the prereqs with at least a C (or well..one class was actually a C-...do schools still count that?) I'm repeating ochem2 online through UNE online and on track to get an A, so that isn't an issue either.

At this point should I even bother reapplying this cycle or should I take a year off to just improve my application? I have a phone file review this coming week with one of the schools I got waitlisted with and I'll be asking them for their opinion but in the mean time, I'd like some ideas.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I have been lurking the forum for quite some time, but I figured there is no better time than now to make my first post - like many others, I am applying in the current VMCAS cycle and was hoping to gain feedback from those better experienced than me.

I am a first-time applicant from Florida (Male, 20y/o), completing a B.S. in Zoology from UF. I intend on applying to: UF (would love to stay IS), Auburn, CSU, Michigan, UGa, UPenn, Washington State, and Tufts (although I am 100% open to feedback on where my application might best "place" me...). I know my cumulative and science GPAs are not the hottest (attributed to a rough acclimation period during my first two years), but I am hoping a well-balanced application will ameliorate that. My intended niche is in small animal medicine, focusing on treatment of service animals (esp. behavior and sports medicine) and accessible veterinary medicine for the people with disabilities whom they serve. Without further adieu...

Florida Male, 20 years old, Zoology Major and Disabilities in Society Minor, VMCAS virgin

Cum. GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.50
Last 45 GPA: 3.87
GRE: Verbal 162 (90th Perc.), Quant. 159 (73rd Perc.), Analytical 5.0 (93rd Perc.)

LOR's: UF Small Animal Hospital Chief of Surgery, Research Advisor (PhD in Animal Psychology), UF Honors Program Director

Vet Experience:
-570 hours working as a small animal surgery technician at UF SAH
-225 hours shadowing clinicians & residents in the integrative medicine service, observing and applying rehabilitative treatments and sitting in on rounds.
-150 hours as a student intern at a hometown clinic, learning and practicing basic laboratory techniques (fecal floats, microscope use, staining, etc.) and engaging in equine surgical and rehabilitative processes.
-(THIS SUMMER, one week) completing a "Wildlife Veterinary Medicine" study abroad program in Belize. Led by two zoological medicine vets, we will be participating in annual examinations on animals at the Belize Zoo.

Research:
-200 hours as an Undergraduate Researcher in an animal behavior and welfare lab. Currently conducting an honors thesis investigating the effects of gestural cues on training outcomes in the domestic dog (involves collaborating with a professional dog trainer to develop training methods and techniques for research, employing methods, collecting/reviewing/analyzing data and writing up research for formal publication). Also contributed to literature reviews, discussion, data collection, and data analyses for additional studies testing cognitive patterns (food consumption, perception of environmental stimuli, and efficacy of varying training methods) in a diversity of species (namely: dogs and dolphins).

Animal Experience:
-80 hours as a "small primate intern" at a primate sanctuary, learned basic exotic animal welfare techniques, delivered meals, and led educational tours for groups of K-12 students. (Fun fact: found out that I am not too bad at shooting a tranquilizer gun.)
-360 hours completed as part of certified veterinary assisting program, in-class activities included basic veterinary techniques: grooming, nail trimming, husbandry, handling, restraint, sanitation, etc.

Teaching Experience (I include this as extracurricular on my app):
-Teaching assistant for Animal Cognition (since the Spring semester, est. 75 hours)
-Lead teaching assistant for American Sign Language (2 years now, est. 600 hours)

Extracurricular:
Signing Gators (a Deaf culture organization) President 2016-2017
Honors Ambassadors (student representatives of the Honors Program) Vice President 2016-2017
North Central Florida Signing Alliance, Inc. (non-profit organization for Deaf Community advocacy) Founding Member, 2016-2017
Pride Student Union Leadership Development Director 2015-2017
Honors First Generation (a group for Honors students who are the first in family to attend college) Student Mentor 2015-2017
Student Honors Organization Executive Board Member 2014-2015, Executive Board Mentor 2015-2016

Recognitions:
-3 Semester Dean's List
-Leadership Award - Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Gainesville Programs
-Machen Florida Opportunity Scholar (Merit & Need-Based program for First-Gen students)
-2017 Officer of the Year Award Nominee - UF Student Activities & Involvement

If you read (or even skimmed) through all of that, wow, I appreciate you. Would share the cookies in my microwave with ya.

Thank you for any and all feedback, folks.

Hi guys!
Like many of you guys here, I've also been a shy lurker. I've been getting more and more nervous as the application deadlines come closer. I'd like to see what you guys think of my chances
1st time applicant from California, Male, 20, B.S. in Animal Science from UVM.
I’m looking at UC Davis (IS), Cornell, Colorado, Tufts, UPenn, NC State… Essentially all the top schools. I’d like to stay in state because the East coast is so cold!

Cum GPA: 3.76
Science GPA: 3.73
Last 45: 3.79 Not sure how schools calculate this but UC Davis looks at the last two years
If being nitpicky, my literal last 45 semester credits are 3.82.
Looking at UC Davis’s most recent statistics, I am 0.05 above the science GPA and 0.03 below the last two years GPA.

GRE: V:150 (47%) Q:158 (70) A:4.5 (82%) I’m going to retake the GRE and will hopefully get on the average or a little above the average quantitative score of 74%.

LOR’s: Research Advisor, Local Veterinarian, Equine Professor, Academic Advisor

Vet Experience:
-520 Hours working as an Equine Emergency Night ICU technician
-710 Hours working as a volunteer technician at a local small animal clinic
Research Experience:
-288 Hours as an undergraduate researcher in a dairy microbe lab. Currently working on my honors thesis and possible publish it. Looking at the effects diet has on fecal microbes in dairy cattle managed under three different feeding systems and also to see if there is a correlation between fecal and rumen microbes.
Animal Experience:
-310 hours working with horses (also on the university equestrian team)
-40 hours working with alpacas
Teaching experiences:
-1 semester TA for animal welfare class
-2 years tutoring biology, chemistry, statistics, and biochemistry
Extracurricular Activities:
-In a Fraternity
-UVM Equestrian Team
-AASU club (secretary and cultural educator)
-Salvation army volunteer
Recognitions:
-4 semesters Dean’s List
-American Society of Animal Science Scholastic Award
-Gamma Sigma Alpha National Greek Academic Honors Society

Similar to TheLastMimsy, sorry about all of this text! Best of luck to you all!

Hi everyone! I have been lurking the forum for quite some time, but I figured there is no better time than now to make my first post - like many others, I am applying in the current VMCAS cycle and was hoping to gain feedback from those better experienced than me.

I am a first-time applicant from Florida (Male, 20y/o), completing a B.S. in Zoology from UF. I intend on applying to: UF (would love to stay IS), Auburn, CSU, Michigan, UGa, UPenn, Washington State, and Tufts (although I am 100% open to feedback on where my application might best "place" me...). I know my cumulative and science GPAs are not the hottest (attributed to a rough acclimation period during my first two years), but I am hoping a well-balanced application will ameliorate that. My intended niche is in small animal medicine, focusing on treatment of service animals (esp. behavior and sports medicine) and accessible veterinary medicine for the people with disabilities whom they serve. Without further adieu...

Florida Male, 20 years old, Zoology Major and Disabilities in Society Minor, VMCAS virgin

GRE: Verbal 162 (90th Perc.), Quant. 159 (73rd Perc.), Analytical 5.0 (93rd Perc.)

LOR's: UF Small Animal Hospital Chief of Surgery, Research Advisor (PhD in Animal Psychology), UF Honors Program Director

Vet Experience:
-225 hours shadowing clinicians & residents in the integrative medicine service, observing and applying rehabilitative treatments and sitting in on rounds.
-150 hours as a student intern at a hometown clinic, learning and practicing basic laboratory techniques (fecal floats, microscope use, staining, etc.) and engaging in equine surgical and rehabilitative processes.
-(THIS SUMMER, one week) completing a "Wildlife Veterinary Medicine" study abroad program in Belize. Led by two zoological medicine vets, we will be participating in annual examinations on animals at the Belize Zoo.

Research:
-200 hours as an Undergraduate Researcher in an animal behavior and welfare lab. Currently conducting an honors thesis investigating the effects of gestural cues on training outcomes in the domestic dog (involves collaborating with a professional dog trainer to develop training methods and techniques for research, employing methods, collecting/reviewing/analyzing data and writing up research for formal publication). Also contributed to literature reviews, discussion, data collection, and data analyses for additional studies testing cognitive patterns (food consumption, perception of environmental stimuli, and efficacy of varying training methods) in a diversity of species (namely: dogs and dolphins).

Animal Experience:
-80 hours as a "small primate intern" at a primate sanctuary, learned basic exotic animal welfare techniques, delivered meals, and led educational tours for groups of K-12 students. (Fun fact: found out that I am not too bad at shooting a tranquilizer gun.)
-360 hours completed as part of certified veterinary assisting program, in-class activities included basic veterinary techniques: grooming, nail trimming, husbandry, handling, restraint, sanitation, etc.

-Teaching assistant for Animal Cognition (since the Spring semester, est. 75 hours)
-Lead teaching assistant for American Sign Language (2 years now, est. 600 hours)

Extracurricular:
Honors Ambassadors (student representatives of the Honors Program) Vice President 2016-2017
North Central Florida Signing Alliance, Inc. (non-profit organization for Deaf Community advocacy) Founding Member, 2016-2017
Honors First Generation (a group for Honors students who are the first in family to attend college) Student Mentor 2015-2017
Student Honors Organization Executive Board Member 2014-2015, Executive Board Mentor 2015-2016

Recognitions:
-3 Semester Dean's List
-Machen Florida Opportunity Scholar (Merit & Need-Based program for First-Gen students)

If you read (or even skimmed) through all of that, wow, I appreciate you. Would share the cookies in my microwave with ya.

Looks pretty good! While your Cum GPA and Science GPA are a little lower than the average of the 2020 class, your last 45 is way higher! I don't know much about UF's acceptance policy and their weights but as a whole you seem like a pretty strong candidate! I don't know if there's much else you can do as the applications end in September but one thing I'm doing is taking some more summer classes to boost my overall grades! If you have the funds and motivation to take more classes over the summer then that can be something you can do to improve! But overall you seem pretty solid!
Good luck!-Clover

Hi guys!
Like many of you guys here, I've also been a shy lurker. I've been getting more and more nervous as the application deadlines come closer. I'd like to see what you guys think of my chances
I’m looking at UC Davis (IS), Cornell, Colorado, Tufts, UPenn, NC State… Essentially all the top schools. I’d like to stay in state because the East coast is so cold!

Last 45: 3.79 Not sure how schools calculate this but UC Davis looks at the last two years
Looking at UC Davis’s most recent statistics, I am 0.05 above the science GPA and 0.03 below the last two years GPA.

GRE: V:150 (47%) Q:158 (70) A:4.5 (82%) I’m going to retake the GRE and will hopefully get on the average or a little above the average quantitative score of 74%.

Vet Experience:
Research Experience:
-288 Hours as an undergraduate researcher in a dairy microbe lab. Currently working on my honors thesis and possible publish it. Looking at the effects diet has on fecal microbes in dairy cattle managed under three different feeding systems and also to see if there is a correlation between fecal and rumen microbes.
Animal Experience:
Teaching experiences:
-In a Fraternity
-UVM Equestrian Team
Recognitions:
-4 semesters Dean’s List

1- The east coast is not really cold, it's wicked cold, get that right ;)
2- There really are no top schools, all of them are amazing, some are just a little more difficult for OOS acceptance
3- That being said I think you have an excellent chance at Davis of scoring an interview. I'm sure you already know but once you get that interview it's a clean slate and GPA's don't matter. How you do on the interview determines if you get an acceptance. The only downside is your GRE so prep for that and you'll be sitting pretty! I'm not an expert on Cornell, UPenn, or NCState (not an expert on any truth be told) but I think you have a decent shot at Cornell and UPenn. I have no idea about NCState except that I know someone with bascially perfect GPA's that got waitlisted and I don't know if anyone was accepted OOS last year on SDN. I think you have an excellent shot at Tufts and Colorado. Tufts will want an improved GRE score. Best of luck this cycle! Please hit me up with any questions, I look forward to seeing you at Davis :)

Vet Experience:

Research:

Animal Experience:

Extracurricular:

Recognitions:
-3 Semester Dean's List

Personally, I think you have a great shot at UF! I was interviewed an rejected last year and you have way better stats than me, also your IS so that should help! The only other one's I know are Tufts and WSU. I feel like you should be a good enough candidate for interviews at both schools. Tufts especially will love that GRE score. While I don't know where your best place might be, I would look into schools that weight last 45 most heavily. Kansas and Iowa come to mind, they both like to see high science GPA as well and yours is a little sub par in that area. Overall I think you have a great shot, good luck!

Hi guys!

Vet Experience:
Research Experience:
Animal Experience:
Teaching experiences:
-In a Fraternity
-UVM Equestrian Team
Recognitions:
-4 semesters Dean’s List

Lol at the East coast is so cold comment

I had really similar GPAs to you and and a little higher GRE scores and was waitlisted at Cornell. I had a friend who was also pretty similar with higher GRE who was waitlisted at NC State. Whatever that is worth. Schools evaluate things differently, so I think it is always worth looking at what specific schools value compared to your application. I think being IS for Davis you have a good shot there. I'd def retake the GRE if I was you based on the schools you're looking at. Your experiences look pretty good.

I would implore those who come across this thread, to look inside themselves for the answer rather than this (a) thread.
As Henry Ford once eloquently stated; 'Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right"
I can tell you stories of those who were over qualified that were turned away, and those under qualified that were accepted.
I have seen acceptance boards be in disagreement over well qualified and under qualified applicants, as well.
So would one actual vet school's board member opinion on your current status be absolute?
Focusing your energy on other people's opinions and stories will not further your effort, unless they serve to motivate you.
Do your absolute best to improve all facets of your application, remain POSTIVE and determined is the only advice you really need.
I think you already knew that, and just needed a reminder.

Best of luck in all your endeavors, as this profession is in real need of passionate young blood to lead it in a new direction.

Isn't it others people's opinions that matter in being accepted to a veterinary school? You can think you're awesome, but if you have a 2.5, you're going to have a struggle of a time to get in.

This thread is a good tool for people to use to apply.

Reactions: 7 users
But what were Henry Ford's last 45 and science GPAs?

Reactions: 17 users
I am a recent grad and was wondering the best way to get into vet school. I graduated with a gpa was

Grade Point Average:
From Enrollment: 3.6
Cumulative Total: 3.251

because i was worried about classes such as physics and took them my last couple of semesters my gpa kind of suffered because of it. I went from a physics 1 grade of a C and brought it up to an A in physics 2. Im interested in going to either A&M, UF, or abroad. I font have much experience but am taking a gap year just so i can study for the GRE and get veterinary experience. My question is how can i improve my application and if i go abroad what do i need to do/best schools to apply to and their requirements. Also what is the best way to study for the GRE ANY TIPS? PLEASE AND THANK YOU

It's not your peers opinions that will get you in. It's your determination and will.
I was told I had no chance of becoming a veterinarian, by not only all of my pre-vet peers and but my college advisor as well.
The president of the pre-vet club was told she was golden, by students, advisors and even the dean of the vet school at the time.
Which brings us to the present time....
I have been a veterinarian in private practice for eighteen years now.
The president of the pre-vet club was never accepted.
I have been were most of you are now. Toiling away in the trenches, with the constant battle of "what's your GPA? How much experience? Did you hear so and so got it?"
It's a losing battle and in my opinion a waste of your time and energy.
As with all advice, especially online in a forum, it's up to you whether you chose to follow it.

If you want a future spoiler alert, I have seen vets that had great grades, even through vet school only to become horrible veterinarians.
So the choice, as always, lies with you.

It's not your peers opinions that will get you in. It's your determination and will.
I was told I had no chance of becoming a veterinarian, by not only all of my pre-vet peers and but my college advisor as well.
The president of the pre-vet club was told she was golden, by students, advisors and even the dean of the vet school at the time.
Which brings us to the present time....
I have been a veterinarian in private practice for eighteen years now.
The president of the pre-vet club was never accepted.
I have been were most of you are now. Toiling away in the trenches, with the constant battle of "what's your GPA? How much experience? Did you hear so and so got it?"
It's a losing battle and in my opinion a waste of your time and energy.
As with all advice, especially online in a forum, it's up to you whether you chose to follow it.

If you want a future spoiler alert, I have seen vets that had great grades, even through vet school only to become horrible veterinarians.
So the choice, as always, lies with you.

I had people tell me I would never get in either. I also had people assure my I would 100% get in, no problem.

SDN was the first place that I got realistic feedback on my actual chances. No sugar coating. No unnecessary harshness. Just solid advice. I don't think that anyone here thinks that our peers opinions are going to get us in, but those peers have advice and experience to share. Why not take advantage of that?

Of course it is up to each applicant to decide which advice to follow. I didn't follow every piece of advice I got--didn't retake classes and didn't apply to more to one school for example--but that feedback was still valuable. It gave me things to consider.

Determination and will alone won't get you there if you don't know what direction to go in and it won't get you in if you don't meet the requirements of the schools that you apply to. It can be a confusing process. Different schools have different processes and priorities and cut offs... and while all of this can be looked up independently, SDN provides one avenue where people can get information. It's a tool. It can be misused (I certainly don't think people should stress themselves out comparing to other applicants) but it can also be a good thing.

Reactions: 10 users

Vet Experience:

Research:

Animal Experience:

Extracurricular:

Recognitions:
-3 Semester Dean's List

I think you look pretty solid for UF, your GRE solidly makes up for your GPA (which isn't bad) I would get as many hours as you can before applying as they look heavily at experience (same with Auburn). I think your GPA may be too low for UGA (average GPAs for them is in the 3.8 area), but with how outstanding your GRE is you may be fine.

To clarify, I would not bash a helpful support, advice or a forum. Especially one that benefits it's members with advice, in a process that can be quite confusing and intimidating. This resource was not available when I was accepted. However, I speak from experience having worked with veterinarians that had varying credentials.
Credentials in some categories that were horrendous by any measurement, yet still they managed to get accepted and become doctors. Myself included.
Furthermore, "you need this or that minimum or you will not get in" didn't apply to them or myself, as we are now Veterinarians.
Averages are just that. Remember there was some one who sat at the low end and was accepted, just as there was someone who sat above and beyond who was not.
It is only common sense that you can't be horrendous in each and every category and expect to be accepted on will power alone.
So what is the underlying trait that we all have in common? Resilience and determination.

As I stated in my first post; I wish you all best of luck in all your endeavors, as this profession is in real need of passionate young blood to lead it in a new direction.

Furthermore, "you need this or that minimum or you will not get in" didn't apply to them or myself, as we are now Veterinarians.

In general, people do not say that you need a specific minimum unless you do. They provide recommendations or goals or guidelines, but they phrase them as such. If someone says you need X minimum then generally it's because you do--usually for a specific school. Many of the schools do have certain hard cut offs and at that point it does not matter what the rest of your application looks like. If you don't have that minimum you will not get into that school. I'd be doing the people requesting help a disservice not to point that out when I see it.

I just think you seem concerned about something that isn't much of an issue on this thread. Most of the advice I see is very sound and realistic.

Reactions: 8 users
"In general" "They" "unless you DO" "cut offs" "Doesn't matter what the rest of your application looks like...."

Facts remain: Plenty of veterinarians missed plenty of "hard cut offs" in one category or another yet still were accepted.
Using lets say 100's of examples of actual veterinarians that I have personally dealt with over my career, your standards and averages listed as "realistic", are unfortunately opinion. In addition, what about those that exceed ALL your cut offs by great margins yet take two or even three attempts to be accepted. What if those high flying individuals were never accepted. Then lets take the opposite example that failed to meet one cut off yet was accepted on their first go around.
All of which has happened many of times over.

How low can you go? GPA, that is!

My motivation for posting here is quite simple, rather than lecturing about "cut offs" and what "they say", I rather focus on what someone CAN do despite what "they say."
I also don't need to refer to "they" or a cut off printed online, as I have been around long enough to know the real "they" in the flesh.

"when an expert tells you cant' do something, find an expert who tells you can
." A quote that motivated a colleague and friend of mine to get into vet school when "they" (two advisors) told him he couldn't because his GPA was well below the "cut off" for the school that accepted him. He found one advisor who believed he could do it, and that advisor helped him get in.

"In general" "They" "unless you DO" "cut offs" "Doesn't matter what the rest of your application looks like...."

Facts remain: Plenty of veterinarians missed plenty of "hard cut offs" in one category or another yet still were accepted.
Using lets say 100's of examples of actual veterinarians that I have personally dealt with over my career, your standards and averages listed as "realistic", are unfortunately opinion. In addition, what about those that exceed ALL your cut offs by great margins yet take two or even three attempts to be accepted. What if those high flying individuals were never accepted. Then lets take the opposite example that failed to meet one cut off yet was accepted on their first go around.

My motivation for posting here is quite simple, rather than lecturing about "cut offs" and what "they say", I rather focus on what someone CAN do despite what "they say."
I also don't need to refer to "they" or a cut off printed online, as I have been around long enough to know the real "they" in the flesh.

." A quote that motivated a colleague and friend of mine to get into vet school when "they" (two advisors) told him he couldn't because his GPA was well below the "cut off" for the school that accepted him. He found one advisor who believed he could do it, and that advisor helped him get in.
Have you read this thread at all? Because the majority is advice given to people on how they might improve their application. It's not like we sit here and say "Ah yes, with your gpa you have a 67% chance of getting into every school you apply to." The only time hard cut offs are mentioned is when a particular school has published those cut offs. I don't know that I've ever seen someone be told "you will absolutely not get in" or "you absolutely will get in." This thread has helped many, many applicants figure out what they CAN do as next steps in building their application.

Maybe make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you get on your soap box.

Reactions: 8 users

If you have evidence of schools violating their own policies regarding cut-offs, please present it. I'm sure many people here would be interested in seeing it.

Call you local veterinarian, ask them if they know any colleagues who were accepted to vet school who were below the cut off.
Alternatively, we can start a thread asking if anyone was accepted to vet school below the cut offs.
I believe there were quite a few "violations" in the thread I posted.
Lastly, I pose the question back to you, have you read my posts at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.