This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole point of schools wanting to have you get diverse hours is that you dont really *KNOW* that you aren't interested in a field in veterinary medicine if you haven't gotten any experience in said field.

If possible for your area, I'd try to get some farm animal experience (usually even if you aren't interested in this, you will get a ton of hands-on experience that you probably can't get doing normal small animal shadowing). otherwise it sounds like you have some decently diverse experience as it is.
Thank you for your input! I was planning on traveling outside the city in the winter and finding an opportunity to do that.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am currently going to be a sophomore majoring in environmental science as my university does not have a pre-vet major.

Thus far, I have done a lot of volunteer work with shelters near me. I have worked with dogs and cats, handling, socializing, walking, cleaning, etc, all the basic shelter experiences. This summer, I have worked in a shelter clinic, although not with a vet, just doing aftercare for animals and little jobs around the office.

I have planned next summer to stay at school for half of the summer and volunteer at either an equine rescue and sanctuary and/or a conservancy where I would be in direct contact/care of horses and other animals (not cats and dogs).
Then, the second half of the summer I plan to shadow a clinic vet (for recommendation and experience) as well as an exotic animal vet (for recommendation and experience).

I know there are many other factors playing into applying to vet school. However, right now I'm trying to plan this aspect of the application to the best of my ability.

I was wondering if this seems like enough varied experience. I am from the city and go to school in the city and wouldn't be able to go elsewhere to get experience. I'm trying to make the best of what I have, as most opportunities anywhere near me are mostly with dogs and cats.

Thank you for any input and suggestions!

Sounds like you have a plan and 3 different areas of veterinary that you will have experience in. Even just a few hours in different areas looks good. I would just be wary of getting a LOR from a vet you would only work a month or two with. LORs are extremely important to an application, you may want to consider someone whom you have worked with for an extended period of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
21 years old, Female, PA Resident, first time applicant
Applying to: UPenn and Minnesota
Possibly: Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia-Maryland, Washington, Illinois
Degree: Expected Graduation Spring 2018 from Penn State with a Bachelors in Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.52
Upenn Pre-req GPA: 3.32

GRE: taking next month

Veterinary Experience (~375 hours)
~100 hours shadowing my dog/cat vet
~250 hours working in a TNVR program actively participating in the anesthetization, surgical prep, and recovery of cats and preparing surgical packs
~15 hours shadowing a mixed/exotics/wildlife clinic near my college
~1 hr participating in a necropsy of poultry at an animal diagnostic lab
~4 hours administering ultrasounds, vaccines, and physical exams to goats at APVMA 2017

Animal Experience (~250 hours)
- 100 hours of fostering (I fostered 3 rats and 2 guinea pigs for 15 weeks, and listed each day as an hour of experience)
- 150 hours volunteering at PAWS in Petsmart's cat adoption center

Leadership/extracurricular: (~100 hours)
-Volunteer Chair for Pre-Vet Club for a year
-Marched in New York City's LGBT Pride Parade for Ad Council's Love Has No Labels campaign

Work Experience (~2275 hours)
-800 hours working at a movie theater
-1150 hours working as a janitor at the YMCA (received first aid, cpr, and emergency oxygen certifications)
-325 hours working in an ice cream shop

Honors/Awards:
-A. Hartman Trustee Schp Ag - 1 year
-Dean's List (3 Semesters)
-Spirit of the Game (Ultimate Frisbee Tournament)

Letters of Recommendation:
- YMCA Employer
- PAWS Supervisor
- Avian Diseases Professor
- TNR Vet
- My pet's vet

My concerns/questions

1. I have no research experience
2. I was living between homes and working nearly 40 hours a week while taking 12-16 credits my soph year which resulted in me getting 3.0s and C's in general chemistry for two semesters and having little time to gain vet experience
Everything looks fairly competitive, your vet experience hours are a little on the low side (but not bad), so I would try to get maybe some large animal hours in if you can. I'm not sure what Penn's average GPA is for accepted applicants, but being IS there you're probably in a pretty good spot. I wouldn't worry about not having research experience, unless you want to go into research it's a nice bonus on your application, but not absolutely necessary. I was accepted without research experience, and same thing for plenty of other people. Your latter point is something you could potentially address in your explanation statement, as long as you focus on how you overcame those challenges and managed to do well otherwise rather than sound like you're making excuses, since there are so many students that have to work while going to school nowadays. If you have time in your senior year or if you have to apply again, you might consider retaking gen chem to boost your GPA.

21 years old, Female, Wisconsin resident
Traditional, First generation, White, First time applicant
Applying to: Wisconsin and Iowa

Will be graduating the University of Wisconsin-Platteville with a B.S. in Animal Science with an emphasis in Pre-Veterinary Medicine in May 2018.
I'm primarily interested in food animal medicine.

Cumulative GPA: 3.495
Science GPA: ?? (Not sure how to calculate this, so any input or links would be helpful!)
Last 45 GPA: 3.43
Last 30 GPA: 3.56

GRE: Verbal: 152 (55th percentile), Quantitative: 153 (51st percentile), Analytical Writing: 4.5 (82nd percentile). I will be retaking this at the end of July.

Veterinary Experience (1,100+ hours):

- Almost 1,000 working as a kennel assistant and vet assistant at a small animal clinic.
- The remainder of the hours are a wide variety of food animal and equine hours spent shadowing a wide variety of veterinarians at 4+ different clinics/places.

Animal Experience (~ 800+ hours):

- Worked at a dog kennel in high school for about 3 years cleaning and supervising dogs in the courtyard. Was trusted with money, clients, and managing the business in the absence of the owner.
- Volunteered at therapeutic horsemanship center once a week for two summers during high school.
- Was a TA in high school AP Biology class where my job was to care for the animals of the room and Animal Facility. Also got to help students in their studies at the same time.
- Worked at a dairy farm during my sophomore year of undergrad, was responsible for feeding calves and milking ~60 cows in a stanchion barn.
- Got certified to do Artificial Insemination my junior year of undergrad through Accelerated Genetics, which involved hands-on practice with the cows.
- Did a small bit of horseback riding.
- I have quite a bit of hours accumulated pet sitting but wasn't sure if I should include it; the one I was going to include would be for my neighbor's cat that had a bunch of health issues I had to attend to, not healthy animals.

Extracurricular:

- Hobbies such as hunting, fishing, gardening (thinking of adding more since I am the outdoorsy type)
- Pre-Veterinary Club Member, VP (sophomore & junior year), and President (senior year)
- In high school, I was a mentor for a girl who was also interested in becoming a vet. Got her a job at the small animal clinic I worked at, where she realized being a vet wasn't for her and went to be a CVT instead.
- Alpha Zeta Member
- National Residence Hall Honorary Member
- Lots of volunteering and involvement through FFA in high school

Work Experience:

- Work at a flower shop in my hometown during school breaks.
- Worked as a Resident Assistant at my university at an agriculture-exclusive residence hall.
- Was hired and currently am the Senior Assistant at that same agriculture-exclusive residence hall.

Honors and Awards:

- 2 scholarships from high school, 2 scholarships from my university, 1 scholarship from an outside source.
- 5 awards from FFA in high school.
- 1 award from the Department of Residence Life at university.
- Artificial Insemination certification.
- Potential PADI scuba diving certification later this summer.

LOR:

- Animal Science Professor and my Advisor at my university
- Animal Science Professor, DVM, and Pre-Vet Club advisor at my university
- My Resident Director
- Animal Science Professor at my university
- DVM that I used to work for in high school

Concerns:
- I'd really like to get into Wisconsin, but my GPA and GRE scores are not all that competitive. I do have extenuating circumstances (family illness) that occurred during my sophomore year through fall of junior year that I've explained as the cause of those poor grades/scores. The improvement in my grades is noticeable after my family situation ended in the winter of my junior year, but I am still concerned since Wisconsin seems to take grades and the GRE pretty seriously.
- I have no research hours but I'm looking to get some this coming semester.

So...what do ya'll think? :) Thank you in advance for anyone that gives feedback, I really appreciate it!!
Everything looks pretty good to me! Your GPA is a little below average, but your last 45 is consistent so that's good, if you can do really well your last two semesters that can only help you. If you have a solid explanation statement about your family issues that could definitely help as well. Again, focus on how you overcame those issues and learned from the experience, vet schools will want to know that you aren't going to potentially fail out if something like that were to happen during vet school. Your GRE scores are a little low as well, but that's great that you're already planning on retaking it, hopefully you'll rock it this time! A lot of people on here have recommended Magoosh as a study tool. You've got a really good amount of vet and animal experience and some interesting extracurriculars. Again, I wouldn't worry about not having research experience unless it's something you really want to do.

Sounds like you have a plan and 3 different areas of veterinary that you will have experience in. Even just a few hours in different areas looks good. I would just be wary of getting a LOR from a vet you would only work a month or two with. LORs are extremely important to an application, you may want to consider someone whom you have worked with for an extended period of time.
Thank you!

Everything looks pretty good to me! Your GPA is a little below average, but your last 45 is consistent so that's good, if you can do really well your last two semesters that can only help you. If you have a solid explanation statement about your family issues that could definitely help as well. Again, focus on how you overcame those issues and learned from the experience, vet schools will want to know that you aren't going to potentially fail out if something like that were to happen during vet school. Your GRE scores are a little low as well, but that's great that you're already planning on retaking it, hopefully you'll rock it this time! A lot of people on here have recommended Magoosh as a study tool. You've got a really good amount of vet and animal experience and some interesting extracurriculars. Again, I wouldn't worry about not having research experience unless it's something you really want to do.
Thank you for your input, that was all very helpful and reassuring to read! Eased the vet school application anxiety a bit! :D

I am planning to go back to get the last few requirements for veterinary school. I have my BS in environmental studies I ended with a 3.0 so not super awesome. I need to basically go take most Chem classes since my degree did not cover them and one microbiology class. I am taking them at the local state college here as a non degree seeking student. I have 4 years as a zoo keeper, 1 year in a doggy daycare, and volunteer at the humane society and also at a local rescue. I am trying to get a job as a vet tech for more experence. What experience do vet schools prefer and would it be better for me to go try for a different masters degree then apply or do well in these non degree seeking classes and then apply?

It looks like they ended up in the pre-veterinary "What are my chances?" thread.
9f008fc69944708b60e8e8e5d77456fd311a1a783a171942e048a7ebcc4cd3d3.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I am planning to go back to get the last few requirements for veterinary school. I have my BS in environmental studies I ended with a 3.0 so not super awesome. I need to basically go take most Chem classes since my degree did not cover them and one microbiology class. I am taking them at the local state college here as a non degree seeking student. I have 4 years as a zoo keeper, 1 year in a doggy daycare, and volunteer at the humane society and also at a local rescue. I am trying to get a job as a vet tech for more experence. What experience do vet schools prefer and would it be better for me to go try for a different masters degree then apply or do well in these non degree seeking classes and then apply?
Those sound like animal experience and not veterinary experience. You need to at least shadow if you can't get a regular job as it is important that you show you understand what being a veterinarian entails. Generally getting diverse veterinary experience is also needed. Your GPA is low, but it has been done by individuals with a strong veterinary experience area or special interest. You need to see how you do in science classes as if you do well in these and have a good last 45 GPA, you also will help yourself there.

Hi, I going to apply for veterinary programs especially michigan state university for the upcoming 2019 cycle. But I received 0 on my physic 1 with calculus that i took it last summer because I was going through a very hard time and I couldn't go to my final exam... but the professor of that class understood what happened during that time so she tried to help me after but she couldn't fix my grade because it already passed the deadline and whole situation was messed up. But I had a very good relationship with her and she truly understand who i am.. so my professor for that specific class told me that she would write me a letter to explain what happened during that time and why i had to receive the 0 on my transcript because she doesn't think it is not fair for me to give up on my veterinary path because of that 0. I really want to go msu for my veterinary school because it has been my first choice ever since I have decided to go to veterinary school. But I'm not sure because of the minimum of 2.00 on the prerequisite course. I have taken another physic 1 class which is without calc but i had B+ on that one. I couldn't retake the same class since i had failed on that one due to my medical condition and our school policy doesn't allow us to retake those course. Is there way for me to apply with the 0 on my previous physic 1 class? or should i re-take it at different university after i graduate from my current university? I need to take a gap year before i apply to any vet school since i just switch to this path.. what should i do?

my science gpa is 3.3 my last 45 gpa is 3.81 my overall gpa is 3.2. I have a really hard time during my first 2 years of college. It is private but i was work study student basically supported myself whole time and i almost thought about dropping out of my school. but fortunately, during my junior year i got full scholarship so i could continue go to school and didn't have to work. So i was able to maintain good gpa for the last 45 credits.
My first language is not english so it was even harder for me to get a good score on gre.. but mine is
GRE
  • Verbal: 161
  • Quantitative: 163
can you please tell me what should i do? because most of the veterinary school require physic as a prerequisite and almost all of them require them to be at least 2.00... if i have taken physic 1with calc ( 0 on my transcript ) and physic 1 without calc( 3.33 on my transcript) ... how are they going to look at it? since i can't retake it at my university, should i retake it at local college? will they average them out and accept it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just have a few logistical in terms of scheduling courses for my senior year of undergrad. Do the prerequisites for veterinary school have to be completed before the application is submitted? What I'm really asking is could I take a statistics course in the spring of my senior year and still apply to a vet school in the fall that has it as a required course?
Also, how fundamental are intro to statistics and nutrition (only offered through the nursing school at my university so it isn't even animal nutrition) in terms of prerequisites for veterinary school?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I just have a few logistical in terms of scheduling courses for my senior year of undergrad. Do the prerequisites for veterinary school have to be completed before the application is submitted? What I'm really asking is could I take a statistics course in the spring of my senior year and still apply to a vet school in the fall that has it as a required course?
Also, how fundamental are intro to statistics and nutrition (only offered through the nursing school at my university so it isn't even animal nutrition) in terms of prerequisites for veterinary school?

Thanks!
Yes you can take prerequisites during the year of application. There can be a limit of how many however, but you look like you are only looking for one so you will be fine. As for fundamentals, I personally believe stats is extremely important as a lot of material will be drawing from that (i.e. populations, heard management, research results ect.) and nutrition is equally important but will mostly be covered in vet school. It would sure give you a leg up on that material when presented.

Yes you can take prerequisites during the year of application. There can be a limit of how many however, but you look like you are only looking for one so you will be fine. As for fundamentals, I personally believe stats is extremely important as a lot of material will be drawing from that (i.e. populations, heard management, research results ect.) and nutrition is equally important but will mostly be covered in vet school. It would sure give you a leg up on that material when presented.
Some schools require nutrition as pre-req, as in OKstate. Not sure about who else though.

Thanks!
Definitely check about the nutrition though. Some schools don't require nutrition at all, but most (all?) of the ones that do require it to be specifically animal nutrition. There are some places where you can take it online or as a correspondence course (where you're mailed things and mail them back and it's self paced), but definitely look into where you're applying and see what they require and that whatever you take for nutrition will be accepted.

Thanks!
Yes you can take the course after the application has been submitted- I took Physics 2 this spring for Fall entrance. My school made it extremely clear that if I don't get at least a C in the course, I cannot retake it over the summer or anything- I'm out. So keep that in mind as well, if you're worried about that.

Yes you can take the course after the application has been submitted- I took Physics 2 this spring for Fall entrance. My school made it extremely clear that if I don't get at least a C in the course, I cannot retake it over the summer or anything- I'm out. So keep that in mind as well, if you're worried about that.
Yeah I had that same panic about my physiology course! Was difficult but I still did well enough.

Those sound like animal experience and not veterinary experience. You need to at least shadow if you can't get a regular job as it is important that you show you understand what being a veterinarian entails. Generally getting diverse veterinary experience is also needed. Your GPA is low, but it has been done by individuals with a strong veterinary experience area or special interest. You need to see how you do in science classes as if you do well in these and have a good last 45 GPA, you also will help yourself there.

Thank you!

Yes I know all of mine is just animal not veterinary experience I'm really hoping I can find a job here; there are limited jobs here ever since I moved down and when one does come up at a vet hospital it requires a vet tech certification. The humane society I volunteer at said I can more than likely get into the clinic at some point so I am hoping for that soon. I am determined though to try to find a job even working my way up from a kennel tech to a vet tech; before I apply to a program. My last 45 GPA is a lot better it was my beginning years of college ( almost all the courses I did bad in were for an unrelated major ) that really sunk my GPA so hopefully that will count for something. I am pretty confident ill be able to do pretty well in my upcoming classes as I did well in the pre requisites to them before. do you happen to know when you send in your application does it combine non degree seeking classes into your previous GPA ( so my GPA I graduated with ) or is that a whole separate GPA for those? I had asked a couple people but I didn't get many helpful answers and no one seemed to be sure.

I'm just looking to see if anybody with experience applying to vet school thinks I have a chance or not!

Experience:

2,880 total hours --> 806 veterinary, 2075 animal, it breaks down into:
200 vet hours at large animal ranch, 340 animal hours in South Africa, 140 vet hours at small clinic, 250 vet hours at a different small clinic, 450 animal hours at a large animal sanctuary, 20 hours at another large animal sanctuary, 45 animal hours at a shelter, 720 animal hours at another shelter, 500 animal hours at another (3rd) shelter, and 200 vet hours in research at Harvard.

Grades:
Chem I and II = A+
Orgo I = B, Orgo II = A
Biochemistry = A+
Physics I = B-
Algebra = A, Statistics B
Microbiology = A-

The other important science classes haven't been taken yet.
I have 25 credits left to take, which i'll be done with in December.

1) small animal clinic veterinarian
2) biochemistry professor
3) head veterinarian of the humane society US
4) former employer
5) microbiology professor
6) shelter manager/supervisor

However, as of right now, my GPA is only a 3.46 ..

I flunked the GRE's and I want to apply to the couple of schools that don't require them (purdue and virginia tech)

I'm just looking to see if anybody with experience applying to vet school thinks I have a chance or not!

Experience:

2,880 total hours --> 806 veterinary, 2075 animal, it breaks down into:
200 vet hours at large animal ranch, 340 animal hours in South Africa, 140 vet hours at small clinic, 250 vet hours at a different small clinic, 450 animal hours at a large animal sanctuary, 20 hours at another large animal sanctuary, 45 animal hours at a shelter, 720 animal hours at another shelter, 500 animal hours at another (3rd) shelter, and 200 vet hours in research at Harvard.

Grades:
Chem I and II = A+
Orgo I = B, Orgo II = A
Biochemistry = A+
Physics I = B-
Algebra = A, Statistics B
Microbiology = A-

The other important science classes haven't been taken yet.
I have 25 credits left to take, which i'll be done with in December.

1) small animal clinic veterinarian
2) biochemistry professor
3) head veterinarian of the humane society US
4) former employer
5) microbiology professor
6) shelter manager/supervisor

However, as of right now, my GPA is only a 3.46 ..

I flunked the GRE's and I want to apply to the couple of schools that don't require them (purdue and virginia tech)
you're gonna be done with 25 credits in December??

(Oh you might mean next December- either that or I'm confused)

this December, I'm taking 22 credits in the Fall =(((
Oh lordie. What classes?

(I ask because I had a friend try that and he ended up getting C's/ failing all of his classes and he had to retake them all and ended up having to take an extra year and a half to graduate.)

Oh lordie. What classes?

(I ask because I had a friend try that and he ended up getting C's/ failing all of his classes and he had to retake them all and ended up having to take an extra year and a half to graduate.)

yeah, I plan on being a total nerd this upcoming semester lol. I'm taking physics II, genetics, clinical veterinary, nutrition, pathophysiology of disease, animal disaster preparedness, senior seminar, and a preceptorship class based off an externship i did but you don't really meet. I took 19 credits last semester on top of volunteering and interning and pulled a 3.66 so I'm not too too worried.

Thank you!

Yes I know all of mine is just animal not veterinary experience I'm really hoping I can find a job here; there are limited jobs here ever since I moved down and when one does come up at a vet hospital it requires a vet tech certification. The humane society I volunteer at said I can more than likely get into the clinic at some point so I am hoping for that soon. I am determined though to try to find a job even working my way up from a kennel tech to a vet tech; before I apply to a program. My last 45 GPA is a lot better it was my beginning years of college ( almost all the courses I did bad in were for an unrelated major ) that really sunk my GPA so hopefully that will count for something. I am pretty confident ill be able to do pretty well in my upcoming classes as I did well in the pre requisites to them before. do you happen to know when you send in your application does it combine non degree seeking classes into your previous GPA ( so my GPA I graduated with ) or is that a whole separate GPA for those? I had asked a couple people but I didn't get many helpful answers and no one seemed to be sure.
I am pretty sure it will not be combined with your undergrad GPA, but will be considered for your last 45.

Oh lordie. What classes?

I did that many credits my last semester of undergrad and came out of first year of vet school feeling so glad that I did it because it forced me to learn how to manage my time before being slammed with the vet school amount of material.

(I also tried doing it during my sophomore year of undergrad and pretty much fell on my face so... ya know :whistle: :laugh:)

I did that many credits my last semester of undergrad and came out of first year of vet school feeling so glad that I did it because it forced me to learn how to manage my time before being slammed with the vet school amount of material.

(I also tried doing it during my sophomore year of undergrad and pretty much fell on my face so... ya know :whistle: :laugh:)
Oh yeah. True... hmmm. I guess it all just depends on the person.

Hey! So I'm going to be a first time applicant this fall and am looking for advice on where to apply to schools. I'm really looking at applying to UPenn and Tufts, but not sure if there is another one I may be better qualified for?

I'm a Maine resident, we don't have an in-state program at home.

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Last 45: 3.7
Major: Biology
Minors: Classics and Economics

I'm a Division I athlete and spend about 20 hours a week with my sport. I have also studied abroad and have about 150 hours of hands on experience with large, small, and exotic animals (we were actually allowed to assist in surgeries because of how different the regulations are in Belize as well as administer a variety of injections). I'm currently employed at two different local small animal hospitals as a veterinarian's assistant/ receptionist, hoping to have another 200 hours before my application is due. I also have 100+ hours volunteering at an animal shelter in high school and I worked as an animal care taker in a research lab and was responsible for the husbandry of mice, rats, and zebra fish.

Haven't taken the GRE's yet but I've done a few practice exams and have gotten around a 320 cumulative score each time.

I'm just hoping maybe someone out there knows of other schools I may be competitive at as a first time, traditional applicant? Thanks so much to anyone with suggestions!

Last edited:
Hey! So I'm going to be a first time applicant this fall and am looking for advice on where to apply to schools. I'm really looking at applying to UPenn and Tufts, but not sure if there is another one I may be better qualified for?

I'm a Division I athlete and spend about 20 hours a week with my sport. I have also studied abroad and have about 150 hours of hands on experience with large, small, and exotic animals (we were actually allowed to assist in surgeries because of how different the regulations are in Belize as well as administer a variety of injections). I'm currently employed at two different local small animal hospitals as a veterinarian's assistant/ receptionist, hoping to have another 200 hours before my application is due. I also have 100+ hours volunteering at an animal shelter in high school and I worked as an animal care taker in a research lab and was responsible for the husbandry of mice, rats, and zebra fish.

Haven't taken the GRE's yet but I've done a few practice exams and have gotten around a 320 cumulative score each time.

I'm just hoping maybe someone out there knows of other schools I may be competitive at as a first time, traditional applicant? Thanks so much to anyone with suggestions!
Hello there fellow New Englander! So a couple of schools I was looking at were the schools that let you transfer to IS tuition after the first year so it cuts down on the costs a bunch, but they are extremely competitive. Some of these schools include UC Davis, WSU, Mizzou, and Ohio. I'm sure there are others as well. Since they are competitive I recommend you look at their previously admitted class statistics and see how you match up before deciding to apply. Your last 45 GPA is pretty strong but your science GPA is a little lower so it kind of evens out. Kansas is also a good option because they value your last 45 highly (science as well) bu they are very expensive. Iowa is another option because they'll consider your last 45 highly and will still look at your cGPA which is good. They are less expensive but still really expensive. Please let me know if you have any questions, I know being OOS everywhere is a pain and I will repeat the advice given to me because it is excellent advice even if it was not possible for me to follow it. If you can, move to a state with a school that has good IS tuition and suits your stats so you'll have a decent chance getting in. That will reduce your debt burden by an enormous amount! Also it will give you a better shot at admission if you need it. I wish you the best of luck friend!

Hello there fellow New Englander! So a couple of schools I was looking at were the schools that let you transfer to IS tuition after the first year so it cuts down on the costs a bunch, but they are extremely competitive. Some of these schools include UC Davis, WSU, Mizzou, and Ohio. I'm sure there are others as well. Since they are competitive I recommend you look at their previously admitted class statistics and see how you match up before deciding to apply. Your last 45 GPA is pretty strong but your science GPA is a little lower so it kind of evens out. Kansas is also a good option because they value your last 45 highly (science as well) bu they are very expensive. Iowa is another option because they'll consider your last 45 highly and will still look at your cGPA which is good. They are less expensive but still really expensive. Please let me know if you have any questions, I know being OOS everywhere is a pain and I will repeat the advice given to me because it is excellent advice even if it was not possible for me to follow it. If you can, move to a state with a school that has good IS tuition and suits your stats so you'll have a decent chance getting in. That will reduce your debt burden by an enormous amount! Also it will give you a better shot at admission if you need it. I wish you the best of luck friend!

Seconding all of this. NC State is the other school where you can switch to IS after one year. Ohio is quite expensive despite the possible IS switch. @m_b2016 I highly recommend this tool to check out tuition and living expenses:
VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map - I Want to be a Veterinarian - VIN Foundation - VIN

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into them!

No suggestions other than what people have already mentioned, but its good to see another Mainer on here! If you are in southern/central maine and want large animal experience I can give you some contact info for a great place.

@mht2k3 hello fellow mainer!! thank you so much for the help! I am originally from central maine actually, but I am living in PA for the summer and won't be going back home before the school year

Please help! :( need some advice!!

23 year old (will be 24 when entering), Female, California resident
Non traditional, First generation, Mexican (Chicana), First time applicant
Applying to: UC Davis, Cornell, Missouri, UPenn, Western, Ohio, and Kansas

A.A. in Mathematics and Science 2015
Will graduate from UC Davis with a B.S. in Animal Science in 2018.

Cumulative GPA: ~ 3.73 (When including both community college and university)
Science GPA: ~ 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.64

GRE: Q: 150 V: 151 W: 4 :(

Veterinary Experience (~2000 hrs)

- Over 2,000 hours working as a veterinary technician at a cat only hospital
- 20 hours assisting with blood draws for our in-house vet at the boarding facility I worked at
- 15 hours (and continuing) working with a LA vet

Animal Experience (~2300 hrs)

- 2,000 hours working as a cat groomer and caretaker at a boarding facility
- 60 hours working as a calf feeder
- ~150 hours (and continuing) working with Nigerian Dwarf goats
- 8 hours delivering pet food to elderly and ill for PAWS LA
- 40 hours at a shelter
- 100 hours at a cat sanctuary
- 30 hours pet sitting a geriatric dog with degenerative myelopathy

Research:
- 48 hours working on a pig trial study

Extracurricular:

- Participating and fundraising in Out of Darkness walks helping spread awareness in mental health and suicide
- Tap Dancing

Work Experience:

- ~240 hours as an English and ESL tutor for my community college learning center
- 2 years as a waitress, cashier, cheese monger at a French restaurant
- 2 years as a pretzel maker at Wetzels Pretzels

Honors and Awards:

- Five semesters on Dean's Honors List at community college
- Alpha Gamma Sigma Honors Society
- Graduated with high honors at community college
- One quarter Dean's Honors List UC Davis
- University Honors Program at UC Davis for 1 year
- Lots of Scholarships

LOR:

- Pharmacology and Toxicology Professor DVM/PhD - Also a professor at UC Davis Vet School
- DVM and Feline Specialist at Cat hospital I work at
- Owner of Nigerian Dwarf Goat farm

I really want to get into Davis, but I know my last 45 might not be high enough!

really want to get into Davis, but I know my last 45 might not be high enough!

I havent looked at Davis' accepted stats for the last 2 classes, but I think your last 45 is solid. I would try to boost your quant score for the GRE though. Off the top of my head, something like like top 40ish percent of IS applicants receive interview invites, so it's not as crazy as the OOS pool (I think it's like top 10%).

Keep growing those vet hours in different fields and I think you're looking pretty good!

Please help! :( need some advice!!

23 year old (will be 24 when entering), Female, California resident
Non traditional, First generation, Mexican (Chicana), First time applicant
Applying to: UC Davis, Cornell, Missouri, UPenn, Western, Ohio, and Kansas

A.A. in Mathematics and Science 2015
Will graduate from UC Davis with a B.S. in Animal Science in 2018.

Cumulative GPA: ~ 3.73 (When including both community college and university)
Science GPA: ~ 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.64

GRE: Q: 150 V: 151 W: 4 :(

Veterinary Experience (~2000 hrs)

- Over 2,000 hours working as a veterinary technician at a cat only hospital
- 20 hours assisting with blood draws for our in-house vet at the boarding facility I worked at
- 15 hours (and continuing) working with a LA vet

Animal Experience (~2300 hrs)

- 2,000 hours working as a cat groomer and caretaker at a boarding facility
- 60 hours working as a calf feeder
- ~150 hours (and continuing) working with Nigerian Dwarf goats
- 8 hours delivering pet food to elderly and ill for PAWS LA
- 40 hours at a shelter
- 100 hours at a cat sanctuary
- 30 hours pet sitting a geriatric dog with degenerative myelopathy

Research:
- 48 hours working on a pig trial study

Extracurricular:

- Participating and fundraising in Out of Darkness walks helping spread awareness in mental health and suicide
- Tap Dancing

Work Experience:

- ~240 hours as an English and ESL tutor for my community college learning center
- 2 years as a waitress, cashier, cheese monger at a French restaurant
- 2 years as a pretzel maker at Wetzels Pretzels

Honors and Awards:

- Five semesters on Dean's Honors List at community college
- Alpha Gamma Sigma Honors Society
- Graduated with high honors at community college
- One quarter Dean's Honors List UC Davis
- University Honors Program at UC Davis for 1 year
- Lots of Scholarships

LOR:

- Pharmacology and Toxicology Professor DVM/PhD - Also a professor at UC Davis Vet School
- DVM and Feline Specialist at Cat hospital I work at
- Owner of Nigerian Dwarf Goat farm

I really want to get into Davis, but I know my last 45 might not be high enough!

@Teepster87 is correct! Your last 45 is probably good. I would try to up the quant if possible. As an IS you stand a fair chance of getting an interview. I'm not sure if they are switching anything up this year in terms of admissions but it looks good.

I havent looked at Davis' accepted stats for the last 2 classes, but I think your last 45 is solid. I would try to boost your quant score for the GRE though. Off the top of my head, something like like top 40ish percent of IS applicants receive interview invites, so it's not as crazy as the OOS pool (I think it's like top 10%).

Keep growing those vet hours in different fields and I think you're looking pretty good!
Thank you! Yeah I definitely need to retake it to try to get that up!

@Teepster87 is correct! Your last 45 is probably good. I would try to up the quant if possible. As an IS you stand a fair chance of getting an interview. I'm not sure if they are switching anything up this year in terms of admissions but it looks good.
Thank you!! That makes me feel better, I've heard how last year had much more applicants than the previous years and it's getting harder to get into Davis :/

Chances for this cycle?

Undergrad: Villanova University (recently named a top 50 college in the country)
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA 3.3
Last 45: 3.6
major: biology
minors: classics and economics
GRE: practice test score v: 156 and q: 152... taking the real ones in a few weeks

Vet Experience:
300 hours as a veterinarian's assistant at a small animal hospital

75 hours shadowing a large/small animal veterinarian in Belize:
o Performed spays and neuters on a variety of livestock and domestic animals.
o Demonstrated basic suture skills and general understanding of tissue handling, suture patterns, and suture material.
o Administered vaccinations to dogs, cats, cows, horses, pigs, and sheep.
o Learned basic diagnostic and therapeutic management procedures of cows, horses, pigs, and sheep.
o Obtained basic understanding about the science of and applications to animal husbandry, feeding, growth, health, reproduction and breeding, and animal welfare issues.

50 hours of shadowing a conservation veterinarian in Belize:
o Trained, followed feeding schedules, and socialized with animals while practicing various enrichment and education techniques with keepers at the Belize Zoo.
o Discussed ecology, conservation, and general issues related to wildlife in Belize focusing on jaguar, jabiru stork, tapir, and howler and spider monkeys.
o Observed and assisted during a jaguar root canal operation.
o Discussed various wildlife research techniques and methods in relation to conservation.

Animal Experience:
o Worked for 3 months as an animal caretaker in a research lab and was responsible for the husbandry of mice, rats, and zebra fish
o 100+ hours volunteering at a local animal shelter
o 20 hours as a dog walker

Academic:
Dean's List multiple semesters
Track and Field All Academic Team every semester (I run D1 track at villanova)

Extra Curricular:
Outdoors Club
Student-Athlete Tutor

Last edited:
Chances for this cycle?

Undergrad: Villanova University (recently named a top 50 college in the country)
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA 3.3
Last 45: 3.6
major: biology
minors: classics and economics
GRE: practice test score v: 156 and q: 152... taking the real ones in a few weeks

Vet Experience:
300 hours as a veterinarian's assistant at a small animal hospital

75 hours shadowing a large/small animal veterinarian in Belize:
o Performed spays and neuters on a variety of livestock and domestic animals.
o Demonstrated basic suture skills and general understanding of tissue handling, suture patterns, and suture material.
o Administered vaccinations to dogs, cats, cows, horses, pigs, and sheep.
o Learned basic diagnostic and therapeutic management procedures of cows, horses, pigs, and sheep.
o Obtained basic understanding about the science of and applications to animal husbandry, feeding, growth, health, reproduction and breeding, and animal welfare issues.

50 hours of shadowing a conservation veterinarian in Belize:
o Trained, followed feeding schedules, and socialized with animals while practicing various enrichment and education techniques with keepers at the Belize Zoo.
o Discussed ecology, conservation, and general issues related to wildlife in Belize focusing on jaguar, jabiru stork, tapir, and howler and spider monkeys.
o Observed and assisted during a jaguar root canal operation.
o Discussed various wildlife research techniques and methods in relation to conservation.

Animal Experience:
o Worked for 3 months as an animal caretaker in a research lab and was responsible for the husbandry of mice, rats, and zebra fish
o 100+ hours volunteering at a local animal shelter
o 20 hours as a dog walker

Academic:
Dean's List multiple semesters
Track and Field All Academic Team every semester (I run D1 track at villanova)

Extra Curricular:
Outdoors Club
Student-Athlete Tutor
Where are you looking to apply?

@WildZoo Tufts and UPenn are my top two. I'm considering Iowa state as well and possibly Virginia Tech. I'm still looking into a 5th school to apply to. Do you have other suggestions of where I may be more competitive?

Hello everyone! I'm back again looking for some advice. I went through my first round of applications last year with no success, so I'm back at it again and want to try to target my application towards schools that are likely (all digits crossed) to accept me based on my stats. My in-state is UC Davis, but I'm not sure if I am competitive enough to get in. I'm also looking at Cornell, CSU, and possibly Ross.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

28 yro female
BS in Biochemistry earned 2015

Cumulative GPA
: 3.50*
Science: 3.30
calculated overall GPA: 3.35 - 3.55 (ranges depending on the school)
I worked full time while completing my Bachelor's while supporting my family financially for years which inadvertently caused my academics to suffer a little.

GRE
Test date Verbal Verb % Quantitative Quant %

07/25/17 - Q 151 V 158 AW - TBT
I re-took the GRE today and did much better than before! WOO.

Veterinary/ Work:
Low end estimate 30,000 / high end 40,000 hours of hands on experience in shelter, clinical, hospital, and emergency levels.

• GP - for 14 years, mostly 4-5 days a week x 10-12 hours a day almost no vacation time.
  • Neonatal nursery - on/off for about 2 years
  • Hospital - 2 years at 5 days a week/ 3-4 hours a day (swing shift) then 3 days a week for a year (same hours)
  • Specialty - on call, I have accumulated ~40 hours since I started last month

Animal / Volunteer
Volunteered at Best Friends Animal Society, LA - Neonatal Ward (~25 hours)
Local animal S&N 501/Nonprofit group (~200 hours)
Local church volunteer work (~200 hours)
General home care for pets / Hospice care / In-home care for special needs animals
Tutoring

Research
Entomology & Ecology - paper published in Ecology & Evolution (~4 semesters)

Extracurricular
Local rescue
Rose Parade float decorator - 3 years
Sew and sell stuffed plush squids / small business on Etsy
Math, Science and English tutor

Honors/awards
Dean's list for 4 years (undergrad/ AA)
President' Honor List for 2 years (undergrad/ AA)
Special Congressional Recognition Award
Alpha Gamma Sigma Honor Society Permanent Member since 2011

Potential eLORs:
4 - From veterinarians that I have worked with for years at various facilities
1 - From a local 501 c3 non-profit animal rescue founder and writer that I have worked with for years.
1 - my research professor (and author of the published paper)

I've been told NOT to use so many eLORs this year. Is this the general consensus?

*re-calculated from last year, it was higher than I thought

Hey everyone! So I will be starting my junior year at undergrad in August and will be applying for vet school may of 2018 for the next cycle. I wanted to get yalls opinion just to see if I'm headed in the right direction and see how my chances would be for applying. I currently still have a 4.0 GPA and I work at a small animal animal hospital and have 700+ hours working since November and I will continue to work there until graduation. I have about 12 hours shadowing a mixed animal vet and other animal experience hours through volunteering at a shelter. I will be taking the GRE this winter so I don't have a score on that but I bought the Kaplan GRE book and have started studying that. I'm also involved in my schools pre-vet club and have multiple service hours volunteering through my church. How does all this look towards applying and being accepted into vet school? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.