2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the round of 32 and sweet 16 seems to be good enough for Duke. Good for them then.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish they would let us know our rank on the list . . . that would let you know how lucky / unlucky you are. How awesome would it be if you were number 1 on the list? On the other hand, how terrible would it be to find out you are last on the list.
Would it be completely terrible though? At least one would know that they have no chance, and will know for sure they won't be studying for the MCAT this summer and paying another couple of hundred dollars for primary applications on top of MCAT fees only to get a call from UNC in July or August saying you're in.

It would be a great surprise, albeit costly.

Are you on the waitlist Gborogirl? Also, did you hear of anyone getting off the waitlist when you were on it? How did reapplying work?

No I was accepted in February. I was on the waitlist in 2006 and took the 2007 cycle off. I did hear of people getting off the waitlist, in fact I had a good friend get in like 3 days before classes started last year, but I also know lots of people who did no get in off the waitlist.

As far as reapplying goes, you have to wait until you have no active applications to resubmit your amcas-- so about mid august you can reapply. With Carolina you have to be careful because I had a friend who did not show substantial change to his application after being waitlisted and was not given a secondary. So when you do reapply you want to make sure your application is stronger, hence why I took an application cycle off.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as reapplying goes, you have to wait until you have no active applications to resubmit your amcas-- so about mid august you can reapply. With Carolina you have to be careful because I had a friend who did not show substantial change to his application after being waitlisted and was not given a secondary. So when you do reapply you want to make sure your application is stronger, hence why I took an application cycle off.

I actually had this happen, too. If you are doing a postbac/master's program, make sure it is all over your AMCAS application (in your personal statement, on your course listings, etc). This is especially important if your grades come out later in the year. UNC makes a big deal out of improvement for reapplicants.

Would it be completely terrible though? At least one would know that they have no chance, and will know for sure they won't be studying for the MCAT this summer and paying another couple of hundred dollars for primary applications on top of MCAT fees only to get a call from UNC in July or August saying you're in.

It would be a great surprise, albeit costly.

I also totally agree with this. I would love to know if I'm last on the list, then at least I could write UNC off my list and go on with planning my life. This being in limbo thing sucks.

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I got a rejection letter in the mail today. I live in Raleigh.

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I got a rejection letter in the mail today. I live in Raleigh.

Ditto from Chapel Hill :(
I'm really happy to have gotten in anywhere, but disappointed about UNC... especially since my fiancee has a job lined up in Raleigh after he finishes grad school this spring. I thought I was a competitive applicant at UNC, but I didn't even make the waitlist. Oh well...

Honestly, I don't think that whether or not UNC wins the NCAA tournament is going to affect medical school applicant decisions; undergrad of course, med school probably not. There are too many other important factors and most med students know they aren't going to have time to tent for games anymore....oops I forgot that UNC isn't exciting enough for people to camp out for 6 weeks to go to games..... but then again, I was at Duke when UNC was so bad people didn't camp out for the game, so I may be a little biased

YEAH! finally someone with some sense around here! i may have applied to UNC, but my blood runs that beautiful shade of Duke blue!!
i got rejected from both med schools (Duke and UNC--got the letter today)...now that i wont be posting on here anymore, i can finally let my true feelings emerge:
GO TO HELL CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!! :laugh:

****mind you, these sentiments pertain exclusively to athletics and do not reflect, in any way, my regard for UNC med school...i really would love to have been accepted, but i would have cheered against them every step of the way****

rejected. letter received today, dated April 1.

interview 1/28 with 32O and 3.4 sci GPA

o well

Keeping the trend going with that last post.

got that letter today which they could have sent some time ago.

interviewed: December
GPA: 3.95
MCAT:35

Oh well.
UNC medical school admissions has been disappointing in many aspects.
It also shows little love for its own fellow tar heels. I am actually glad that I didn't get accepted here. I think I'll be better off somewhere else for medical school.

Good luck to the rest. If you don't get in, then don't let it get you down. Next time, just apply to schools more broadly that fit your stats in addition to UNC. There are other schools out there which are just as good as UNC.

Last edited:
No I was accepted in February. I was on the waitlist in 2006 and took the 2007 cycle off. I did hear of people getting off the waitlist, in fact I had a good friend get in like 3 days before classes started last year, but I also know lots of people who did no get in off the waitlist.

You got that right. This happened to me. After getting an interview my first year, I did not even get a secondary(i.e. interview) second year. In hindsight, I definitely did not make significant improvement that year. It takes a good amount to strengthen your application significantly.

You got that right. This happened to me. After getting an interview my first year, I did not even get a secondary(i.e. interview) second year. In hindsight, I definitely did not make significant improvement that year. It takes a good amount to strengthen your application significantly.

Do you guys think that an improved MCAT and one or two extra volunteer activities qualifies as "improvement?" I have a little research, significant clinical exposure, shadowing, general volunteer and a solid GPA. My MCAT could definitely use some TLC though.

Just got notice from Randee my letter was received via email. I did email her first though. Why did they only give us 3 days to respond??

Members don't see this ad :)
just an fyi...for those on the wait list...they don't tell you your number because they try to fill seats that come open with similar applicant. Example: if a white, IS, male with a 30 MCAT, etc. were to give back his seat, they would try to find the next best person close to that. That is why they can't give you number.

Heard it from an admissions committee member.

Last edited:
just an fyi...for those on the wait list...they don't tell you your number because they try to fill seats that come open with similar applicant. Example: if a white, IS, male with a 30 MCAT, etc. were to give back his seat, they would try to find the next best person close to that. That is why they can't give you number.

Heard it from an admissions committee member.

I am not doubting what you heard, but it sounds a little like voodoo to me. I think that might be part of it, but i don't believe that can be the entire case.

It's strange, I just got the waitlist email today and it's due today. According to gmail, it was sent around 1:00 P.M. pacific time. I just sent it in about an hour or two ago, but I figure they're probably out of the office by now. Maybe it's because I'm low on the waitlist, or because I'm OOS. Did this happen to anyone else too?

Thanks!

Just got notice from Randee my letter was received via email. I did email her first though. Why did they only give us 3 days to respond??
I don't know, but it I don't like that we get 3 days to respond and depend on USPS to deliver in time when we waited for how long for our notificiations?

Oh well. I mailed mine out on friday so hopefully they got it today.

It's strange, I just got the waitlist email today and it's due today. According to gmail, it was sent around 1:00 P.M. pacific time. I just sent it in about an hour or two ago, but I figure they're probably out of the office by now. Maybe it's because I'm low on the waitlist, or because I'm OOS. Did this happen to anyone else too?

Thanks!

Yes! Just got an email too! Wow...I just spent the weekend accepting the fact that a rejection letter was in the mail...what an amazing surprise! UNC is definitely my top choice so I'm thrilled that I still have a chance! I'm going to call them in the morning to figure out what to do since the form was supposed to be there today. I'm OOS, too. Was anyone who got the email last week OOS? Maybe they reviewed OOS candidates today? Or maybe we are just low on the waitlist...and I thought the guessing games were over:laugh:

I am OOS and received the email Thursday. This whole process is
so confusing!

Last edited:
Do you guys think that an improved MCAT and one or two extra volunteer activities qualifies as "improvement?" I have a little research, significant clinical exposure, shadowing, general volunteer and a solid GPA. My MCAT could definitely use some TLC though.

I did retake the MCAT but didn't improve my score significantly (a measly one point). But I did get significant research/ clinical experience.. I've worked at UNC as a research coordinator for the past year and a half and also took a few classes at Carolina and got good grades. From my work I was able to add faculty recommendations to my app.

I made significant improvements to my GPA and MCAT. Did some extra volunteering also.

Keeping the trend going with that last post.

got that letter today which they could have sent some time ago.

interviewed: December
GPA: 3.95
MCAT:35

Oh well.
UNC medical school admissions has been disappointing in many aspects.
It also shows little love for its own fellow tar heels. I am actually glad that I didn't get accepted here. I think I'll be better off somewhere else for medical school.

Good luck to the rest. If you don't get in, then don't let it get you down. Next time, just apply to schools more broadly that fit your stats in addition to UNC. There are other schools out there which are just as good as UNC.

Similar stats, in-state, also rejected. I'm a bit surprised because I thought my interview went very well, but maybe not.... Going into this process, I thought about only applying to UNC (and just reapplying next cycle if not geting in), but then decided to add a few reach schools as well. Ended up getting into the reach schools and not UNC. So, as neil100 said, make sure to apply to a *broad* range of schools, as you never know...

Congrats and good luck to everyone on the waiting list!

Did anyone who was waitlisted and submitted the form receive any kind of confirmation from UNC that they had received the form?

I had to email mine and asked for confirmation it was rec'd - Randee said she got it within 12 hours.

While I was in the office dropping my waitlist letter off, I heard one of the people insisting adamently over the phone that it was a soft deadline. I think they just wanted a quick turn around and won't be too concerned as long as it's postmarked by yesterday (or later for those of you that just received it).

Also, from what I've heard they do take people off the waitlist in a matching manner, at least trying to match gender, race, residency. Although my guess would be that if they want the class to look a certain way and it doesn't yet, they'd probably adjust for that, ie. they want 50/50 guys v. girls and more guys accept admissions than girls, they'd let a girl of the waitlist. This is just speculation though.

I did a master's program and drastically increased my science GPA on my thrid run. I was also able to get faculty rec letters from my current research position. The second time around, I just had a few extra classes. They definitely want something significant, so if you made big changes this year (during the application cycle), that will help a lot. Otherwise, you have a few months to make some big changes....

If I were you I would also apply to a broader range of schools next time. Med schools around the country. From what it looks like, you had all of your hopes on UNC. I would get some clinical exposure, MCAT if really needed in the year off. Basically, there isn't a guarantee that you'll get into UNC the next time you apply with changes. Basically, it isn't worth wasting your life's precious time taking 2-3 + yrs. off to get into one school that you really want to go to. (as a pre-med you have options but they are limited) Med school education is pretty much the same anywhere in this country. That's why I said that you should apply to schools that fit well with your stats, and activities (mostly the stats) including UNC. This will increase your chances significantly (not necessarily guarantee admission) of getting into med school and getting you closer to your dreams without having to rely on one chance every time.

Just a thought for looking long-term.

For neil,
I think that if you love medicine, and would do this even if you were paid very little and even if few people respected you, then you should be at UNC with me. We need more people with your stats and your motivation. I can already see some of my future classmates are complete douchebags and I get worried that I will be lumped with them. I get mad that adcoms at lots of med schools still cannot filter their students properly because still more students that are worth less that feces are still getting into amazing school like UNC.

For neil,
I think that if you love medicine, and would do this even if you were paid very little and even if few people respected you, then you should be at UNC with me. We need more people with your stats and your motivation. I can already see some of my future classmates are complete douchebags and I get worried that I will be lumped with them. I get mad that adcoms at lots of med schools still cannot filter their students properly because still more students that are worth less that feces are still getting into amazing school like UNC.

whoaa..lol... thanks for your post.

I really do love medicine and more importantly science/nature for what it really is versus the common view of it. I would like to be at UNC med school but apparently they don't agree. I am glad that I didn't get waitlisted because the outcome would have most likely been the same.
UNC med school is really different from any of the other prof./and grad programs of UNC. I really don't know the reason for that. I think I have thouroughly expressed my distaste over how UNC adcoms chooses its students previously in this thread. But, they seem to be doing something right since the rankings are high. Or maybe it's because of scientific researchers like dr. smithies who have more liking for science which applies to medicine than medicine directly itself.

But, I am glad to that residencies are based on equal ground as far all of that clinical experience (really is buch of non-sense when applying to med school), and medicine related activities are concerned. The distinguishing aspects will be MAINLY usmle score, and med school grades along with rec. letters and research if applicable. I like that it will be much more merit-based and based on your interest in a certain field of medicine. This is what I have heard from a lot of current residents. Maybe I'll see you (even though I don't know you) at UNC for residency who knows.

cheers.

btw, that last sentence just cracked me up. Even I didn't say anything like that when this thread got energized because of what I and someone else said about Unc med school admissions. lol.

Did anyone OOS get rejected post-interview? I'm wondering b/c I'm waitlisted, but I really expected a rejection since I felt my interview went about as bad as it could've.

For neil,

I agree that ALL schools will have some "douchebags", but everywhere, including UNC, you will be able to find genuine people. I doubt that all ~160 MS1s are buddy-buddy with each other. I know quite a few med students at Carolina (>20) and only a few I've met thus far I would probably stay away from.

regarding fecal matter - well, if we're given the chance to be on the other side of the fence and see what really happens behind the scenes then I suppose it would shed more light on the whole process. (ie. see how each candidate is selected.) At this point though, I think it's better that I just don't know. I'm not sure if most people on here really do want to know, either.

I agree that ALL schools will have some "douchebags", but everywhere, including UNC, you will be able to find genuine people. I doubt that all ~160 MS1s are buddy-buddy with each other. I know quite a few med students at Carolina (>20) and only a few I've met thus far I would probably stay away from.

regarding fecal matter - well, if we're given the chance to be on the other side of the fence and see what really happens behind the scenes then I suppose it would shed more light on the whole process. (ie. see how each candidate is selected.) At this point though, I think it's better that I just don't know. I'm not sure if most people on here really do want to know, either.

I think for most applicants whose numbers fall within the acceptable range the decision to admit hinges on spurious and capricious subjective evaluations. To continue with the fecal metaphor, maybe your interviewer was constipated during your interview and so evaluated your summer clinic trip in Honduras negatively only to find themselves a few days later with renewed regularity and great admiration for the other guy's summer clinic trip to South Africa.

I do agree with underdog on the fecal matter business.
Adcoms at most but not all schools do a subpar job on slapping down people that do not deserve to go to med school. Maybe they get awed by person's looks, their trips, activities more so than some of the more important things like stats, dedication, knowledge, motivation ,etc. Who knows. But there are certain schools that do really well in the weeding out process. Unfortunately, UNC med school isn't very good at weeding out certain people. Oh well.

I am happy for UNC as a university because they won the championship. UNC med school admissions seems out of touch with rest of the principals of UNC as a university.

Adcoms at most but not all schools do a subpar job on slapping down people that do not deserve to go to med school. Maybe they get awed by person's looks, their trips, activities more so than some of the more important things like stats, dedication, knowledge, motivation ,etc. Who knows. But there are certain schools that do really well in the weeding out process. Unfortunately, UNC med school isn't very good at weeding out certain people. Oh well.

I am happy for UNC as a university because they won the championship. UNC med school admissions seems out of touch with rest of the principals of UNC as a university.

You don't know the reason you didn't make the cut at UNC and you never will. That's the way it goes. I suggest you be happy with the University of South Carolina acceptance. Best of luck to you in the future.

On every thread it seems like the higher score people (MCAT, gpa) want more of the admissions process based on merits and the lower scoring people want it to be based on the intangible qualities (ECs, passion, motivation) etc.

You don't know the reason you didn't make the cut at UNC and you never will. That's the way it goes. I suggest you be happy with the University of South Carolina acceptance. Best of luck to you in the future.

Okay so we are back at this again aren't we. Just because someone criticizes something about medicine or the admissions process (in this case), people always assume that it is because of bitterness. You do realize that I am not talking about the process out of bitterness but by being rational and the impact it has on future med school applicants hence future physicians in this country? right...

You have no clue if I am happy or not happy with my acceptance. So you just can't sit there and suggest something when you are ill-informed.
I am very happy with my acceptance to USC and proud to be going there. In the end, USMLE scores and merit-based qualities will matter much more when applying for residencies versus other stuff because everyone is on the same page in regards to that other stuff. So, your suggestion really doesn't matter because I am very excited and happy about my med school acceptance.

So, I am really criticizing the process out of necessity and could care less about bitterness and all of that jazz. The first step to fixing something is actually acknowledging that a problem/issue exists with rationality rather than getting all emotional.

Good luck to you too in your future endeavors. I hope you get accepted to UNC or somewhere else if UNC decides to reject you again. Because the reality is that if you have the stats, qualities, motivation, other activities, you deserve to get accepted.

Hey there Neil, I was being pretty genuine when I wished you the best. I Think you may have taken it as an attack on you or your criticism of the process.

When I was energized earlier I was thinking back to this girl i knew who got into UNC. She was bragging how she got in and how she can't wait to make all that money and how she will be removed form her patients so she will be able to do it for a long time. Her stats were FAR below mine and needless to say I was PISSED!!! Clearly she did not show her TRUE self at the interviews or on paper but still, SHE GOT INTO UNC!!!!! WTF? Why are we going to the SAME school?!?!?!?! But I have heard that some of my future classmates are brilliant and that makes me excited. I can't wait to meet these people.

And neil, if you are genuine in your motivation and it shows during your residency then even though I do not know you, if I meet you, you will have my respect.

Hey there Neil, I was being pretty genuine when I wished you the best. I Think you may have taken it as an attack on you or your criticism of the process.

I was also being genuine birdsbeak when I said good luck. anyways, i think we are cool now:thumbup:
:)

When I was energized earlier I was thinking back to this girl i knew who got into UNC. She was bragging how she got in and how she can't wait to make all that money and how she will be removed form her patients so she will be able to do it for a long time. Her stats were FAR below mine and needless to say I was PISSED!!! Clearly she did not show her TRUE self at the interviews or on paper but still, SHE GOT INTO UNC!!!!! WTF? Why are we going to the SAME school?!?!?!?! But I have heard that some of my future classmates are brilliant and that makes me excited. I can't wait to meet these people.

And neil, if you are genuine in your motivation and it shows during your residency then even though I do not know you, if I meet you, you will have my respect.

Haha yeah that sucks. I actually know someone like that but not such an extreme case like that one. It's just a way of life, I suppose.

You'll have my respect too.:thumbup:

I have been following this discussion regarding GPA MCAT etc vs. extra curriculars experience etc for a while now. Not to be a polyanna sort, but I believe the answer is somewhat in between. The data regarding MCAT and GPA does show a correlation to USMLE 1 board scores etc (i.e., knowledge) it does not correlate with professionalism. Level of professionalism is clearly important to being a physician and may be derived from those "softer activities". This by know means should lessen the importance of knowledge. You can be very professional and be very wrong, which in medicine may have significant consequences.

In addition, performance in medical school and later performance as a resident/physician is mixed as to important influences, some say "hard stats" matter, while in other studies, the data just is not there. I think both groups bring a lot to the table. As a friend of mine in ob once said, "she uses her art history more than her organic chemistry. A women in labor doesn't want to hear about the number of bonds a carbon atom can form." --Just a thought

Neil,

I have been occasionally reading this thread for quite sometime, and I finally decided I should comment. Your posts reek of entitlement and arrogance. What do you know that enables you to judge the entire UNC medical school? You have not even spent a day in medical school. I am glad someone picked up this at UNC.

You also harp on numbers. I would be willing to bet that those that are currently being dissed on this thread (people @ UNC who talk about money/prestige) are the SAME people who have 34+ on the MCAT and did not venture much outside of the lab. Sweeping generalization? Yes. Almost as ridiculous as some other generalizations I have read on this thread. It is as simple as this - when you group 160 people together, you are going to have the compassionate, the smart, the funny, the arrogant, the not-quite-as-smart but incredible people, the pretty, the pretty ugly, the entitled. This is LIFE. You will meet attendings one of these days and wonder how they ever got into medschool with such horrible bedside manner. You will also learn that this same physician might have the best procedural skills of anyone in the hospital. You might also work with a country doc who scraped/clawed his/her way into medical school, but is a DAMN good physician b/c he/she relates incredibly well to patients.

It took me two attempts to get into medical school. Be thankful for where you are Neil. You have gotten into a US medical school. It is still my opinion, as a graduating medical student, that GETTING IN is the HARDEST part of the entire thing.

It takes people of all types. Don't judge a school based on who they do/do not accept. Maybe you don't fit the UNC mold, and if this is the case, you are better off elsewhere. The same goes for residency. Your merit will get you the interview...your personality will get you the spot.

Go Heels!!!

randomUNCer

Neil,

I have been occasionally reading this thread for quite sometime, and I finally decided I should comment. Your posts reek of entitlement and arrogance. What do you know that enables you to judge the entire UNC medical school? You have not even spent a day in medical school. I am glad someone picked up this at UNC.

You also harp on numbers. I would be willing to bet that those that are currently being dissed on this thread (people @ UNC who talk about money/prestige) are the SAME people who have 34+ on the MCAT and did not venture much outside of the lab. Sweeping generalization? Yes. Almost as ridiculous as some other generalizations I have read on this thread. It is as simple as this - when you group 160 people together, you are going to have the compassionate, the smart, the funny, the arrogant, the not-quite-as-smart but incredible people, the pretty, the pretty ugly, the entitled. This is LIFE. You will meet attendings one of these days and wonder how they ever got into medschool with such horrible bedside manner. You will also learn that this same physician might have the best procedural skills of anyone in the hospital. You might also work with a country doc who scraped/clawed his/her way into medical school, but is a DAMN good physician b/c he/she relates incredibly well to patients.

It took me two attempts to get into medical school. Be thankful for where you are Neil. You have gotten into a US medical school. It is still my opinion, as a graduating medical student, that GETTING IN is the HARDEST part of the entire thing.

It takes people of all types. Don't judge a school based on who they do/do not accept. Maybe you don't fit the UNC mold, and if this is the case, you are better off elsewhere. The same goes for residency. Your merit will get you the interview...your personality will get you the spot.

Go Heels!!!

randomUNCer

I hate to go down on this road but I guess I'll have to do so. lol It is natural for you to attack and criticize me because I am criticizing a specific part of an institution in which you belong. Also, please tell me how can you judge that I am seeking entitlement, and am arrogant. This is an anonymous forum. You cannot judge people. You have no idea who I am.

Speaking of entitlement and arrogance.
Did I ever say that UNC sucks simple because they didn't accept me? Did I say that I deserve to get a spot at UNC med school because of what I have done? etc. etc. I haven't been arrogant nor sought entitlement.

AGAIN. MANY PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM HAVE CRITICIZED THE PROCESS FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. I am not the only one. I think that when many people start to question or criticize something, there is some credibility behind it. There certainly is credibility behind this argument.

Just because someone directly criticize the process, it makes them arrogant and seem like they are seeking entitlement?!! It has nothing to do with arrogance and entitlement non-sense.
Why in the heck do you keep thinking I am frustrated or not happy about where I might end up? btw, I am extremely happy about my acceptance and can't wait to get started. If the students or informed outsiders don't criticize the process, then who will? Most doctors could care less about admissions. You need to understand that there is A LOT OF credibility behind this argument. But of course you have already graduated from med school. You will obviously say these kinds of things because you have leverage.

If you still think that I am arrogant and seeking entitlement, then continue to do so. It probably will make you sleep better at night.

I think the criticism neil100 is getting is really baffling. If you read his posts carefully, nothing he says is radical or arrogant although it may be at times somewhat flamboyant and overstated. I think the response reflects the unquestioning faith a lot of pre-meds seem to have in the profession and selection process. I don't think that's the kind of attitude that will be successful in confronting the massive structural problems and vested interests that stand in the way of achieving first rate health care for every American.

Actually, UNC is one of the only schools that does let you know what you can do to improve your application the next application cycle. They'll be straight up with you about whether it was your MCAT, GPA, level of experience, or whatever that kept you from making it in.

So for those of you who are going to reapply, I'd suggest you take advantage of the opportunity to get real feedback.

All I can say is...yeah the medical school application process sucks, and I hate that they take so long, but UNC must be doing well for themselves. Just look at their match lists. They must be admitting and retaining top notch students. Im sure they make mistakes both admitting unqualified people and rejecting amazing students, but **** happens.

Try not to blame the process, and just prove yourself on the next level.

Also, whos to say someone's going into medicine for the wrong reasons? What exactly are the right reasons then? No matter what their reasons are, if they end up good doctors then they are fine by my book.

Neil,

Go Heels!!!

randomUNCer

Put me down for compassionate, smart, funny, and "pretty."

Status
Not open for further replies.