2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one of us (I wouldn't mind doing it) could make one so we could meet each other/look into housing and such =)

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

3.8, 33R in state

does anybody accepted know if we have to submit a deposit to secure our spot? I don't see anything in the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called on Wednesday to find out when people who interviewed in February should expect to hear back and Nancy said that adcom will be making all final decisions over the next few weeks.

Speaking of housing. In terms of off-campus vs. on-campus options, which is better?

P.s. I can't attend the second look, so I went with a student host and it was amazing. Even better than the interview day. It was a very candid view of the school since I was there on my own with one student host, and everyone seemed really happy there. Pretty sure this is where I wanna go. :)

Speaking of housing. In terms of off-campus vs. on-campus options, which is better?

P.s. I can't attend the second look, so I went with a student host and it was amazing. Even better than the interview day. It was a very candid view of the school since I was there on my own with one student host, and everyone seemed really happy there. Pretty sure this is where I wanna go. :)

There are two on campus housing options: one is cheap (~$600/month) and very close to the hospital but really crappy and run like a prison, the other is on the other side of campus, nice, but insanely expensive (~$1400/month)

The absolute best choice is to live off campus. You'll get great value for your money. There are apartment buildings and houses. The latter tends to be the most cost-effective option.

There are two on campus housing options: one is cheap (~$600/month) and very close to the hospital but really crappy and run like a prison, the other is on the other side of campus, nice, but insanely expensive (~$1400/month)

The absolute best choice is to live off campus. You'll get great value for your money. There are apartment buildings and houses. The latter tends to be the most cost-effective option.

Thanks skinMD, are the off-campus houses close to the school?
I'll have a car, but I'd like to be within walking or biking distance of the campus.

Thanks skinMD, are the off-campus houses close to the school?
I'll have a car, but I'd like to be within walking or biking distance of the campus.

this is the only truly walkable option: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/apartments_chapin.shtml

there are 2 other options listed on that webpage: Schomburg (which i wasn't aware existed) and West, both located on the undergrad side of campus. I guess you can walk from either but i would venture to guess it would be a good 20 minute walk each way. You would definitely be able to bike though.

You can see the rates on that website as well. Seems like my estimate of the "nice" option (West apartments) was a bit high though I don't know what they count as a "semester". I'm assuming med school is in session for 3 semesters (fall, spring, summer) but i'm definitely not sure. They have a contact number on the web site if you are looking for more info.

I plan on renting a 3 bedroom house. Mainly cause I have a dog and I want my own yard. If anyone's interested then PM me.

this is the only truly walkable option: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/apartments_chapin.shtml

there are 2 other options listed on that webpage: Schomburg (which i wasn't aware existed) and West, both located on the undergrad side of campus. I guess you can walk from either but i would venture to guess it would be a good 20 minute walk each way. You would definitely be able to bike though.

You can see the rates on that website as well. Seems like my estimate of the "nice" option (West apartments) was a bit high though I don't know what they count as a "semester". I'm assuming med school is in session for 3 semesters (fall, spring, summer) but i'm definitely not sure. They have a contact number on the web site if you are looking for more info.

Thanks for the link. I really like the Chapin option. Also I know it may be more expensive, but I am considering living without housemates the first year and then picking roommates second year after I've gotten to know my classmates.

Waste of money? I'm hoping most of my class would be pretty level headed and reasonable to live with. However, I've heard some roommate disaster stories in undergrad, so I'm a little unsure about picking someone randomly to live with for first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link. I really like the Chapin option. Also I know it may be more expensive, but I am considering living without housemates the first year and then picking roommates second year after I've gotten to know my classmates.

Waste of money? I'm hoping most of my class would be pretty level headed and reasonable to live with. However, I've heard some roommate disaster stories in undergrad, so I'm a little unsure about picking someone randomly to live with for first year.

do whatever you think is best for you. obviously living alone will be more expensive ....the most expensive option would be an apartment building whereas if you find a basement apartment or an attachment in someone's house it could be a bit cheaper.

just to be clear if you do choose chapin you'll be assigned your own room in an apartment with 3 or 5 others random grad students.

do whatever you think is best for you. obviously living alone will be more expensive ....the most expensive option would be an apartment building whereas if you find a basement apartment or an attachment in someone's house it could be a bit cheaper.

just to be clear if you do choose chapin you'll be assigned your own room in an apartment with 3 or 5 others random grad students.

Wow, I did not realize I would get randomly assigned grad students to live with. Thanks for the heads up there. If I am living with others either way, then the off-campus option seems pretty nice.

Does anyone know where to send an update/interest letter, after being waitlisted?

Should it be to the director of admissions?

Hi everyone, how was the second look day? Anything that was not presented at the interview day? Thank you

Hi everyone, how was the second look day? Anything that was not presented at the interview day? Thank you
I will try to respond from my phone, I apoligize for any wierd formatting or spelling. I may edit later.

They did a great job. I would say they cleared up a few things in regards to curriculum, grading, and scheduling. The classes also seemed really tight knit, happy, and cooperative. I know everyone says that, but I've been to other second looks and I would say this group was very tight knit ( university at buffalo was very close too, but bigger, so not as much of a small family feel)
Things they cleared up:
-Preclinical switch to Pass, Fail. At end of year honors is awarded to top percent at end of year.
-All lectures recorded and streaming live. Most lectures optional, but PBL mandatory attendance. There is also a few clinical longitudinal classes mandatory. Overall it seemed like a slightly heavier lecture load than some schools, but lighter than it used to be. Usually there is one free or mostly free day per week.
-students raved about clinical preparation, one of the few schools that students actually use sim center heavily. M1 uses clinical skills center around 8 times, but can schedule as much as one a week if they want. They said almost all the docs have open door shadowing policies, just walk into their office, ask if you can volunteer and they'll make it happen. Most are there because they love to teach. Some students were doing typical intern work by M4 (I. E. closing after surgery) Students said they excel on away rotations, and are sometimes the only students that have hands on experience with procedures. Dean said 90% of SBU students are ranked in top half of residency.
-faculty all very involved, very responsive, and very friendly.

1st year curriculum more traditional, 2nd year integrated systems based. Most blocks have NBMEs (board style) exams. Students feel very prepared for step exams, and said last year class average was 245 I think. It was something in the mid 240s.

The take away: tight knit family like environment. Great step preparation and performance. Involved and responsive administration. Very hands on clinical experience with very active clinical sim component. Match lists that rival the top private schools in the state for in state prices. Many current students I spoke with chose SBU over Cornell, Mount Sinai, Einstein, U. Rochester, NYU. With the majority holding acceptances to most other SUNY schools.

I was impressed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

I will try to respond from my phone, I apoligize for any wierd formatting or spelling. I may edit later.

They did a great job. I would say they cleared up a few things in regards to curriculum, grading, and scheduling. The classes also seemed really tight knit, happy, and cooperative. I know everyone says that, but I've been to other second looks and I would say this group was very tight knit ( university at buffalo was very close too, but bigger, so not as much of a small family feel)
Things they cleared up:
-Preclinical switch to Pass, Fail. At end of year honors is awarded to top percent at end of year.
-All lectures recorded and streaming live. Most lectures optional, but PBL mandatory attendance. There is also a few clinical longitudinal classes mandatory. Overall it seemed like a slightly heavier lecture load than some schools, but lighter than it used to be. Usually there is one free or mostly free day per week.
-students raved about clinical preparation, one of the few schools that students actually use sim center heavily. M1 uses clinical skills center around 8 times, but can schedule as much as one a week if they want. They said almost all the docs have open door shadowing policies, just walk into their office, ask if you can volunteer and they'll make it happen. Most are there because they love to teach. Some students were doing typical intern work by M4 (I. E. closing after surgery) Students said they excel on away rotations, and are sometimes the only students that have hands on experience with procedures. Dean said 90% of SBU students are ranked in top half of residency.

1st year curriculum more traditional, 2nd year integrated systems based. Most blocks have NBMEs (board style) exams. Students feel very prepared for step exams, and said last year class average was 245 I think. It was something in the mid 240s.

The take away: tight knit family like environment. Great step preparation and performance. Involved and responsive administration. Very hands on clinical experience with very active clinical sim component. Match lists that rival the top private schools in the state for in state prices. Many current students I spoke with chose SBU over Cornell, Mount Sinai, Einstein, U. Rochester, NYU. With the majority holding acceptances to most other SUNY schools.

I was impressed.

Thank you! Thank you so much! I could not go to the second look, but this has helped a lot.

I did an unofficial second look the week before, where the admissions office let me spend the afternoon with an M1 student, and I got much of the same vibes. It was a pretty candid view of the school when I went. I definitely think this is where I'll be now.

HeyNumber2, are you most likely going to Stony Brook?

Things they cleared up:

I was impressed.

Thank you sooo much. It was very helpful. It sounds like a great place :)

I just heard back today from the office of admission and I was put on the "Waiting List".

I interviewed 03/14.

Good luck to everyone!

Still no word for me. :-/. My understanding was that when the high priority waitlist is being offered it means that no more acceptances are going out (ie HPWL means that you would have been accepted but they have no available spots?). Did I misunderstand that when they gave us their spiel about admissions during the interview day? If so, is that the best I can hope for at this point?

Still no word for me. :-/. My understanding was that when the high priority waitlist is being offered it means that no more acceptances are going out (ie HPWL means that you would have been accepted but they have no available spots?). Did I misunderstand that when they gave us their spiel about admissions during the interview day? If so, is that the best I can hope for at this point?
Same here, when did you interview? I am not sure if it's true that no more acceptances are going out just because HPWL is being offered. A number of people on this thread got accepted after they started offering HPWL. But I may be wrong. Really wish that adcom gave us some sort of update as to what people still waiting for a decision should expect.

Same here, when did you interview? I am not sure if it's true that no more acceptances are going out just because HPWL is being offered. A number of people on this thread got accepted after they started offering HPWL. But I may be wrong. Really wish that adcom gave us some sort of update as to what people still waiting for a decision should expect.

I interviewed early to mid february. I guess I misunderstood what the high priority wait list was then. Not really any different for me except that I can now still hope for an acceptance straight away (hope not expect) instead of HPWL as the best option.

Have you tried calling at all?

I interviewed early to mid March for the MSTP. Still waiting for a reply. I was told at the interview to expect a decision in six weeks. So far no luck. I guess we're all in the same boat.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about financial aid?

Waitlist waitlist or hpwl?

Just wait list. I'm not sure how all the wait lists work and I can't remember if they told me about a "high priority waitlist". I emailed them asking for a little information regarding what it meant and they said that they will start pulling people of the list at the end of May or early June. It is a ranked wait list too. They also said that about 20% of their entering class comes in off the waitlist though!

Just wait list. I'm not sure how all the wait lists work and I can't remember if they told me about a "high priority waitlist". I emailed them asking for a little information regarding what it meant and they said that they will start pulling people of the list at the end of May or early June. It is a ranked wait list too. They also said that about 20% of their entering class comes in off the waitlist though!

That is awesome that they said 20% comes from the waitlist. Thats like 24 people give or take right?

Did you hear of your waitlist by email? People earlier in the thread showed an email that specifically stated high priority or didn't, though to be honest I am not sure of what the differentiation is.

I was looking at the thread from 2011-2012 and a bunch of people suggested that the hpwl is where they pull people off first and then start going through those on the regular waitlist. Apparently hpwl is pretty small and people usually end up getting accepted. But it all depends on how many people who are accepted decide to matriculate this year I guess. The waiting continues for all of us...

I interviewed early to mid february. I guess I misunderstood what the high priority wait list was then. Not really any different for me except that I can now still hope for an acceptance straight away (hope not expect) instead of HPWL as the best option.

Have you tried calling at all?
I called at the end of my six week waiting period (first week of April) and Nancy said that adcom would be making final decisions through April. Let's see what happens.

How large of a wait list do we think it is? 300 people? or more like 150?

How large of a wait list do we think it is? 300 people? or more like 150?

It sounds like the HPWL last year was like 12 people. I haven't seen any numbers quoted for the regular waitlist. Maybe some of the current students know or could venture a guess?

Thank you! Thank you so much! I could not go to the second look, but this has helped a lot.

I did an unofficial second look the week before, where the admissions office let me spend the afternoon with an M1 student, and I got much of the same vibes. It was a pretty candid view of the school when I went. I definitely think this is where I'll be now.

HeyNumber2, are you most likely going to Stony Brook?
I really love Stony Brook, and after second look it pretty much solidified it as the top choice for me. The one thing I'm having trouble resolving is that I received a large (by SUNY standards) scholarship from another SUNY and even though I love SBU more, I'm having trouble deciding if I should place more weight on the scholarship.

There are a couple of high ranking private schools, and even one top 25 I got into that I will definitely choose Stony Brook over.

What about you, I've seen you around a few quality schools all season and you had some great options on the table, what are you thinking?

Has anyone received financial aid info yet?

They said Financial aid will come in June, they don't give any academic/merit scholarships.

Thank you sooo much. It was very helpful. It sounds like a great place :)

It really is! I went in to second look with SBU as a second choice, and left with it as my top choice. They really offer an outstanding experience with a great tight knit family environment.

I interviewed back in March and just called the Admissions Office for an update. They said the Committee will be making their final decisions in the next week or 2 (obviously). When I asked if they are still offering acceptances, she said "absolutely." Perhaps there's still hope? =)

I interviewed on march 19 and just got an acceptance email today.

Can someone explain the HPWL to me? If they are still giving out acceptances and waitlists, how do they determine the HPWL?

3.8 / 35 / OOS
interview early march, acceptance email today

Hmm I interviewed in mid-March, but still no email. Guess that's not a good sign.

I was impressed.
This is really helpful! I was just wondering if you might be able to elaborate on some of the reasons those people chose Stonybrook over the schools you mentioned? Was there anything specific?

Can someone explain the HPWL to me? If they are still giving out acceptances and waitlists, how do they determine the HPWL?

I think that the best way to describe it is that it is a regular wait list but better. Fewer people, offered spots before regular waitlist.

Waitlisted via email this morning at 7am. Congrats to those who have been accepted, and good luck to those still awaiting a response!

Last edited:
waitlisted as well; interviewed january... (though i was waitlisted earlier, around mid feb).

the consensus seems that those who were waitlisted won't really have a chance at gaining an acceptance, eh?

does anyone have any tangible numbers as to who gets in from the regular waitlist? (it seems that the high priority wait list is tantamount to an acceptance, but nothing's being said about this regular wait list).

I'm urm/oos.

Things they cleared up:

I was impressed.

Graduating MS-4 here with a plug for Stony. Seriously this school is a hidden gem. If you are fortunate enough to get in, definitely take advantage of the opportunity. Unless you have a rich grandma who's paying your med school tuition, then it's a no brainer. I chose stony over U. Rochester and also held acceptances to the other 3 SUNY schools. I matched to a program with people from various ivy league med schools. I mean yeah if you get into Harvard, UPenn, Hopkins, Columbia, Yale (or another top 10) go there - that kind of thing is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Would I have gone to places like Rochester, Einstein, NYU over Stony....def no - no way to justify the price tag - . Sinai? That would've been something to think about a little more.

Bottom line: Don't take it from me. Inquire about our USMLE Step 1 average and our match list. Both of which blow most "high ranked" schools out of the water.

Good luck with your decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.