2012-2013 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm: You can be marked complete without the Dean's certification, right? I have everything else checked off, but I'm still marked incomplete.

Yes I am marked complete without the deans certification in.

Members don't see this ad.

II today!!! Complete 9/7. Signed up for 10/17...anyone gonna be there then? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have received interview invites, did you write the optional essay?

People with II, mind sharing stats? Thanks and congrats!

Idk if WashU has student hosts, but I live in the area and I suggest you stay at the Chase Park Plaza hotel. Not cheap, but it's safe and close to the school.

Idk if WashU has student hosts, but I live in the area and I suggest you stay at the Chase Park Plaza hotel. Not cheap, but it's safe and close to the school.
So they're offering a room for one night, free of charge, at Olin Hall. Any other nights are $36. Seems good to me!

Also, 4.0, 39

Has anyone been rejected yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I got rejected via email.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for my rejection.. maybe my stats are so low they won't even waste their time emailing me :rolleyes:

How's your cycle going?

II via status update.

Is there any benefit to interviewing in mid-Oct. versus late-Oct.?

Just to confirm: You can be marked complete without the Dean's certification, right? I have everything else checked off, but I'm still marked incomplete.

I received an II and have yet to complete the Dean's Certification.

Not sure when interviews begin here, but if they have does anyone have any impressions of the program/city? If not, any med students want to give their blurb? Thanks guys!

Not sure when interviews begin here, but if they have does anyone have any impressions of the program/city? If not, any med students want to give their blurb? Thanks guys!

I don't have a blurb, so you'll have to ask a question.

Here is St Louis: http://vimeo.com/48890472
Cardinals = Historic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynveVHqXWls
The Ultimate Med School Lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictqCRakTIY
Tour of the main medical school building: http://fltc.wustl.edu/tour/tourFLTC.html
Some bigwigs talking about the school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBB_HWffkdk

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm still waiting for my rejection.. maybe my stats are so low they won't even waste their time emailing me :rolleyes:

How's your cycle going?

II's, but not in NY. I don't want to leave because I'll be licenced here and I'd rather not wait 6 months (and not give a **** anymore because of med school obligations) to take a license exam in another state.

Saint Louis is a great city. :)

Yeah, I don't have a blurb either. But I'm happy to answer any questions. I love WashU and St. Louis is pretty great too.

For those who received II's, are the available dates on the calendar just those highlighted in green, or those with blue text? There are no days in green, but every day is in blue.

Question for students who stayed in Olin Hall the night before their interview: should we check out in the morning before our interview and store our stuff with admissions, or is it OK to leave stuff in the room and check out after the interview?

For those who received II's, are the available dates on the calendar just those highlighted in green, or those with blue text? There are no days in green, but every day is in blue.

If you call the admissions office to schedule they have a ton more dates available than what is online. I don't know why that's the case, but it is...

Question for students who stayed in Olin Hall the night before their interview: should we check out in the morning before our interview and store our stuff with admissions, or is it OK to leave stuff in the room and check out after the interview?

Something I honestly don't remember. But you can definitely ask the security guard at the Olin front desk when you check in.

I'm currently doing a research year between 3rd and 4th year, so I will try to offer some impressions about clinicals. I'm intending to match into a competitive surgical subspecialty, so what I say will probably be biased in that direction.

First of all, I think that when I was a premed and while I was interviewing, I paid a lot of attention to the preclinical curriculum because that was more like what I was used to in college, and I mostly regarded the clinical years as a black box that I didn't really pay much attention to. When I became a 3rd year, I realized that it's actually all about the clinicals. How you do and what you do in your clinical years (3rd year in particular) will really mean a world of difference for how you choose your career trajectory. Clinicals at important, so ask about them!

Without getting too much into the specifics of the clinical schedule, WashU offers quite a bit of opportunity for 3rd-year exposure to subspecialties and smaller specialties. For example, you have the option to do an in-patient Cardiology rotation while on Medicine, the option to try out basically any surgical subspecialty you want on Surgery (including ENT, Plastics, Urology, Optho and many different areas of Ortho), and an elective month that you can fill up with everything from Path to Rads to Derm. When I entered medical school, I really didn't have a great idea of what I wanted to do, so it was great for me to be able to try all of these different things without having to wait until 4th year (at which point, you will have less time to decide and prepare for your specialty of choice). In the same vein, there are no required 4th year rotations, so all of 4th year is essentially your opportunity to fill in any gaps that you might have and to strengthen your residency application however you see fit.

I'm told that we have one of the most benign Gen Surg residency programs in the country, and I can attest to the fact that during my entire time as a 3rd year, I've only met maybe 1 person that I would consider "malignant." The vast majority of residents, fellows, and attendings are all very nice and willing to teach. 3rd year is hard work, and you will be taking overnight call on several rotations. Our most hated rotation is probably Neuro, victim to particularly harsh coursemaster, large team sizes, and an extremely busy service. Our Peds rotation is also felt to be harder than most others. On the other hand, our Medicine rotation is universally well-loved.

I'm not sure what else to say at the moment, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks to all the current students that have provided feedback so far, I don't really have any questions at the moment except for the one I'm about to ask . . .

I'm currently doing a research year between 3rd and 4th year, so I will try to offer some impressions about clinicals. I'm intending to match into a competitive surgical subspecialty, so what I say will probably be biased in that direction.

First of all, I think that when I was a premed and while I was interviewing, I paid a lot of attention to the preclinical curriculum because that was more like what I was used to in college, and I mostly regarded the clinical years as a black box that I didn't really pay much attention to. When I became a 3rd year, I realized that it's actually all about the clinicals. How you do and what you do in your clinical years (3rd year in particular) will really mean a world of difference for how you choose your career trajectory. Clinicals at important, so ask about them!

Without getting too much into the specifics of the clinical schedule, WashU offers quite a bit of opportunity for 3rd-year exposure to subspecialties and smaller specialties. For example, you have the option to do an in-patient Cardiology rotation while on Medicine, the option to try out basically any surgical subspecialty you want on Surgery (including ENT, Plastics, Urology, Optho and many different areas of Ortho), and an elective month that you can fill up with everything from Path to Rads to Derm. When I entered medical school, I really didn't have a great idea of what I wanted to do, so it was great for me to be able to try all of these different things without having to wait until 4th year (at which point, you will have less time to decide and prepare for your specialty of choice). In the same vein, there are no required 4th year rotations, so all of 4th year is essentially your opportunity to fill in any gaps that you might have and to strengthen your residency application however you see fit.

I'm told that we have one of the most benign Gen Surg residency programs in the country, and I can attest to the fact that during my entire time as a 3rd year, I've only met maybe 1 person that I would consider "malignant." The vast majority of residents, fellows, and attendings are all very nice and willing to teach. 3rd year is hard work, and you will be taking overnight call on several rotations. Our most hated rotation is probably Neuro, victim to particularly harsh coursemaster, large team sizes, and an extremely busy service. Our Peds rotation is also felt to be harder than most others. On the other hand, our Medicine rotation is universally well-loved.

I'm not sure what else to say at the moment, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I've heard the importance of clinicals and how it is important to ask about them, but what do you recommend I ask as an interviewee that will give me answers that can help me differentiate between schools. Thus far I've been asking what rotations are like 3rd year and what is the role of the med student and most say something to the effect of "it depends on the rotation and your level of interest." As someone who is not set on one specialty this doesn't give me much to go off of. Any advice?

Thanks to all the current students that have provided feedback so far, I don't really have any questions at the moment except for the one I'm about to ask . . .

I've heard the importance of clinicals and how it is important to ask about them, but what do you recommend I ask as an interviewee that will give me answers that can help me differentiate between schools. Thus far I've been asking what rotations are like 3rd year and what is the role of the med student and most say something to the effect of "it depends on the rotation and your level of interest." As someone who is not set on one specialty this doesn't give me much to go off of. Any advice?

This is kind of the same thing I was wondering. What kind of question would be most helpful to get an idea of what clinical years are like? Thanks for your help!

They actually reject. But if I recall correctly, the regular MD admissions doesn't reject anyone until March. Could be wrong though.

After how long of a silence do you think someone should just assume a rejection? I've been complete since August 21st.

After how long of a silence do you think someone should just assume a rejection? I've been complete since August 21st.

I don't think you should ever assume a rejection until you actually get rejected. Statistically speaking, your chances decrease the longer you've been kept waiting. It's possible that some schools will close your file (or not intend to look over it again) without telling you, but you just don't know. If it helps you get closure, I guess it's personal preference to "assume" a rejection at some point in time though.

I don't think you should ever assume a rejection until you actually get rejected. Statistically speaking, your chances decrease the longer you've been kept waiting. It's possible that some schools will close your file (or not intend to look over it again) without telling you, but you just don't know. If it helps you get closure, I guess it's personal preference to "assume" a rejection at some point in time though.

I'd like some closure! What time would you think is good to assume rejection?

patience man, i recently got II for places where i was complete in early august

I would recommend asking about the 3rd year schedule in detail. Which rotations are you required to do, and how long do you spend on each rotation? How do clerkship schedules get assigned? Are there elective slots, and if so how many? Which are the most loved and most hated rotations, and why? What is the patient population generally like in your particular area/hospital? If you have a particular field of interest, make sure to ask about that specifically.

For example, many schools require Family Medicine rotations, while WashU does not (though you can have it as an elective or as your ambulatory rotation on Medicine). WashU requires a Neuro rotation, while many other schools do not. We have 3 months of Surgery, while some of my friends at other schools only have 2 months (this could be a good or bad thing depending on your interest in Surgery).

How long do they keep you in the MSTP pile before transferring you to MD only? I've been complete since early July, but haven't been invited for an interview or rejected for MSTP.

I'd like some closure! What time would you think is good to assume rejection?

November 22nd, 5:10 PM

;)

Hmm.. I inadvertently typed in Thanksgiving Day. Moral of the story = gorge yourself over good food and assume rejections from medical schools? :p

After reading a PDF on research opportunities at WashU I uncovered some material that made it sound as if 36 weeks of 4th year must be spent conducting research. Can any current med students confirm this? Thank you!

After reading a PDF on research opportunities at WashU I uncovered some material that made it sound as if 36 weeks of 4th year must be spent conducting research. Can any current med students confirm this? Thank you!

Most definitely not true. You can do research, but you certainly don't have to.

Last edited:

Copied from that PDF of which you speak:
"To qualify for the Doctor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine, students are required to satisfactorily complete a minimum of 36 weeks of clinical or research electives in the fourth (final) year."

"To qualify for the Doctor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine, students are required to satisfactorily complete a minimum of 36 weeks of clinical or research electives in the fourth (final) year."

Looking back now I see that, sorry! It must have been my tired eyes that misread that, it seemed like quite the commitment to research for the MD program which is why I asked. Thanks!

As has been said previously, no blurb from me, but I'm a WUSM MD/PhD student willing to answer any questions.

You'll get the view of someone very, very happy with the decision to come here, but I'll be as honest as I possibly can be.

You're actually limited to about 12 weeks max of research electives during 4th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.