2012-2013 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're actually limited to about 12 weeks max of research electives during 4th year.

:thumbup: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Question for students who stayed in Olin Hall the night before their interview: should we check out in the morning before our interview and store our stuff with admissions, or is it OK to leave stuff in the room and check out after the interview?

I'm pretty sure you bring your stuff down in the morning, store it in the closet next to the security desk, and pick it up after you're done :) good luck!!!

I'm pretty sure you bring your stuff down in the morning, store it in the closet next to the security desk, and pick it up after you're done :) good luck!!!

That's what I ended up doing--thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
current 2nd year (NOT full scholarship) student here planning on doing a research year between 3rd/4th year.... happy to answer questions as well.

Do most people at your school go into academic medicine?

I have decent GPA and MCAT score without leadership experience. Is leadership experience mandatory for admission to WU's MD program?

I didn't even realize leadership experience was something Wash U is particularly into. I have basically no leadership experience, and I got an interview invite :)

First II!

Complete 9/21

Last edited:
What are the dates the current interview invites are for? I got my email notifying me that my secondary was complete Sept. 27, which I know is somewhat late; I'm hopeful that if I get that II that it isn't for a really late date! To those who have gone through this, does Wash U generally interview a little bit later than other schools? I have an II at UK and they were already into January

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for people who have already interviewed:

I read somewhere that it is usually one interview with a professor, but how long does it last?
Also did you guys get an email about who will be interviewing you? On the website there is a link for the Admissions Committee Bios page but I didn't get any information on my interviewer and my interview is next Tuesday.

Thanks!

Hey for people who have already interviewed:

I read somewhere that it is usually one interview with a professor, but how long does it last?
Also did you guys get an email about who will be interviewing you? On the website there is a link for the Admissions Committee Bios page but I didn't get any information on my interviewer and my interview is next Tuesday.

Thanks!

The interview is about an hour. And ~30% of interviewees get a second shorter interview, which is just supposedly used to check up on the interview process.

And to find out who your interviewer is, log into the WUMSapply site (just the site used to check your application status and stuff), and there should be something to click on called "Visit information" or something like that, and that will have a little table that lists your schedule for the day including the name(s) of your interviewer(s).

The interview is about an hour. And ~30% of interviewees get a second shorter interview, which is just supposedly used to check up on the interview process.

And to find out who your interviewer is, log into the WUMSapply site (just the site used to check your application status and stuff), and there should be something to click on called "Visit information" or something like that, and that will have a little table that lists your schedule for the day including the name(s) of your interviewer(s).

Do you mean the "Visit Arrangement" tab? I only see Lodging Preferences, Pizza Party, and Breakfast information. Then there is a link to the main website...but that's just traveling information.

Do you mean the "Visit Arrangement" tab? I only see Lodging Preferences, Pizza Party, and Breakfast information. Then there is a link to the main website...but that's just traveling information.

I believe that's the correct tab. They don't always have the interviews scheduled way in advance. But it should definitely be up on the website by the day before your interview.

Yeah, it's definitely Visit Arrangement. There is/will be a table listing the day's events such as pizza the night before, breakfast, check-in, etc.

Does anyone know the statistics on how many interviewees were ultimately accepted to Wash U's med school?

Can anyone comment on the neighborhoods where the med school is located and most students live? I've heard that some parts of St. Louis are very dangerous.

Can anyone comment on the neighborhoods where the med school is located and most students live? I've heard that some parts of St. Louis are very dangerous.

Most students live within walking distance of the school in the Central West End. I've lived here for 2+ years. It's true that some parts of St. Louis (North St. Louis, East St. Louis) are quite dangerous. But there's really never reason to go to those parts of town. Because it is a big city there's gonna be crime. And yes, some has happened in the CWE. But I guess a general rule of thumb I follow is to not be stupid. Don't walk places at night by yourself if you're a girl. Things like that. There are cops that patrol the CWE at all hours, so I don't really ever feel terribly unsafe, but of course I'd prefer there be less crime.

All in all, the Central West End is probably one of the safest, if not the safest, areas in the city of St. Louis. But crime does still happen here even to people who aren't being stupid, just like it does anywhere.

Been complete almost 2 months and no word. Think it's a good idea to email or call and inquire on my app's status?

Most students live within walking distance of the school in the Central West End. I've lived here for 2+ years. It's true that some parts of St. Louis (North St. Louis, East St. Louis) are quite dangerous. But there's really never reason to go to those parts of town. Because it is a big city there's gonna be crime. And yes, some has happened in the CWE. But I guess a general rule of thumb I follow is to not be stupid. Don't walk places at night by yourself if you're a girl. Things like that. There are cops that patrol the CWE at all hours, so I don't really ever feel terribly unsafe, but of course I'd prefer there be less crime.

All in all, the Central West End is probably one of the safest, if not the safest, areas in the city of St. Louis. But crime does still happen here even to people who aren't being stupid, just like it does anywhere.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know the statistics on how many interviewees were ultimately accepted to Wash U's med school?

In 2010, 335 of 1177 interviewees were accepted (28.5%).

The CWE is one of the safest, most affluent neighborhoods in St. Louis. Lots of young doctors and nurses live here. The asst dean of education also lives here. That said, St. Louis is a dangerous city. The per capita all-crime rate in the CWE is about 80 crimes (personal and property) per 1000 residents per year (and the violent crime rate is maybe 10 per 1000). Source here.

Nevertheless, I feel safe. At the very least, I'm confident that the mile radius around WashU is much safer than the mile radius around Hopkins.

If this is a major concern for you when choosing schools, look through the stats and maps on this website and this website. You can shell out $40 for a detailed crime report for the specific neighborhood.

Thanks for the admissions info! I really appreciate it.

Just got my II from WUSM! So excited. Does anyone know what day(s) of the week they generally interview on?

Last edited:
Interviewed yesterday. What a great school! The students I met were super happy. Does anybody know about how long it takes for them to make a decision? Six weeks? Twelve weeks?

Interviewed yesterday. What a great school! The students I met were super happy. Does anybody know about how long it takes for them to make a decision? Six weeks? Twelve weeks?

They have set days that they will send out decision. The first will be in mid-November. If there is an MSTP interviewee around, they should know the dates that they will hear about their decision, and the MD releases decisions on the same/next day.

Sometimes your interviewer will call to accept, but not everyone does that. But everyone who is accepted will see their status update page change at 11:59:59 PM on that Friday night.

First II! Anybody else going to be here Nov 8/9/10? I decided to stay for 2 nights :)

Complete 9/21, II 10/6
hey ill be there those same days, nov 8/9/10, wanna do something friday night? im trying to find people to hang out with up there.

does anyone know the curriculum setup of Wash U? I couldnt find it online! Is it a 2 year pre-clinical? class 8-5? etc

2 yr preclinical
Class is never 8-5. First yr starts at 8:30, second yr at 9. Ends at noon or 2-3ish.

2 yr preclinical
Class is never 8-5. First yr starts at 8:30, second yr at 9. Ends at noon or 2-3ish.

In second year there were like 3-5 days the whole year maybe when class goes to 5, but it does always start at 9. First years get out at 12 at least 2 days a week I'd say. Second years, maybe 1 day a week.

Other things about the curriculum: first year is pass/fail, while second year is H/HP/P/F. Set up as first year: physio and second year: pathophys so more traditional style. They try to have lots of small groups especially in the practice of medicine course so you can get to know professors well which is nice. You start going into the hospital and interviewing patients within the first few weeks of first year. Less patient time in second year because of the increased amount of material to learn, but still a fair amount.

Honestly, does this make the atmosphere pretty cutthroat? An alum was telling me that it was.

I didn't think it was cutthroat. It's not graded on a curve so you aren't jugded against each other. My class still shared their notes with each other before exams, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make people more stressed. I'd prefer it be P/F but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

It's not graded on a curve so you aren't jugded against each other.

Well. You can help your whole class get honors in a course but that makes it harder for you in terms of class rank.

Well. You can help your whole class get honors in a course but that makes it harder for you in terms of class rank.

Clinical grades count waaaaaay more in terms of final gpa. So I don't see the point in making second year more stressful than it is.

They have class rank?? :(

No. We have class thirds. So its a form of rank but not as bad. Also the lower third ends up being like 20% of the class. So its not even thirds. I honestly don't know how they figure that all out.

Clinical grades count waaaaaay more in terms of final gpa. So I don't see the point in making second year more stressful than it is.

No. We have class thirds. So its a form of rank but not as bad. Also the lower third ends up being like 20% of the class. So its not even thirds. I honestly don't know how they figure that all out.

OK, thanks. Still, why they have to do that? =/

Does anybody know what sort of questions theyre gonna ask me? Are they going to grill me with questions about my GPA or applications or will it be more conversational?

Does anybody know what sort of questions theyre gonna ask me? Are they going to grill me with questions about my GPA or applications or will it be more conversational?

This was my most relaxed interview of the season. I highly doubt they're going to ask questions about your GPA... in any interview you should be prepared to talk about your application, but during my interview it was almost all casual conversation

I'll second what KDizzle says. For an interview, it seemed relaxed and conversational.

Agreed, mine was relaxed too, and on my interview day, the Assistant Dean of Admissions directly stated that grades/MCAT have been blacked out from your application when given to your interviewers.

Agreed, mine was relaxed too, and on my interview day, the Assistant Dean of Admissions directly stated that grades/MCAT have been blacked out from your application when given to your interviewers.

Oh interesting! I didn't know that.

I'm not sure if that's true, my interviewer made a specific comment about my GPA during my interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.