2014-2015 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After filling out the waitlist inquiry form, I noticed that the wait list inquiry is still active in the secondary application page. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I just want to make sure that my response was definitely recorded as yes after submitting, and that my application is not accidentally withdrawn.
I think this is intentional, so you can withdraw or add comments. It should say this at the top as well.

"This link will stay active so that you can add additional responses."

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is intentional, so you can withdraw or add comments. It should say this at the top as well.

"This link will stay active so that you can add additional responses."

Ahh, I see. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
WL, interviewed last week of Feb, and I can't be more excited honestly. Wash U does not rank, Dean Ratts is open to updates, and as it has been stated multiple times, Wash U's less-than-Harvard yield is good news for those of us still waiting.

I've been in the application process for over a year now. But, my application was strong enough to interview at Wash U, I will only improve it in the coming year, and with wiser application choices I will find somewhere great that accepts me. Not knowing yet sucks, but if I'm really set on a career in medicine, the hardest thing I ever accomplish isn't going to happen when I'm 22.

Best of luck to everyone else!
Common sense and level-headed philosophy from @cmontenegro42. Well-said and timely!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Start getting your new app in order. Take assessment of what weaknesses you had and take action to correct them. (My bet is you didn't apply broadly enough. If you interviewed at WashU, you must be academically qualified.)

My guess is WL movement begins in May and winds down through June.

Here's to hoping you hear some good news in May and can avoid this crazy process for a second time. Best of luck !! I'm rooting for you!

Thanks so much for the insight. I hope so too!

Waitlist movement should begin just before/after April 30th.. according to new AAMC traffic rules :) so there's that going for us!

Yes, hopefully we'll hear sooner rather than later, so that we can plan accordingly. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist who really wants to go here!! <3

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how financial aid works for people on the waitlist? The WL email provided a link to the finaid site, but I don't have a new student id or anything that's needed to apply.

Does anyone know how financial aid works for people on the waitlist? The WL email provided a link to the finaid site, but I don't have a new student id or anything that's needed to apply.
I thought it was social security number? If your netpartner isn't activated, you can call the fin aid and they'll help you.

I know that some people have heard about scholarships already, but has anyone received the need-based financial aid package yet?

I know that some people have heard about scholarships already, but has anyone received the need-based financial aid package yet?
Not yet, but I just called and they said it's coming out very soon.

I thought it was social security number? If your netpartner isn't activated, you can call the fin aid and they'll help you.

I just called the financial aid department, and found out that the NetPartner doesn't get activated until you are legitimately accepted off of the waitlist. What you can do for financial aid right now, while you are on the waitlist is as follows:
  1. FAFSA
  2. Supplemental WashU Aid Application (online via portal)
  3. Assemble your own and your parents' tax returns, schedules and W-2s-- they will need them ASAP to assemble your aid award if you are graced with an acceptance!
Fingers crossed that 4/30 (or shortly thereafter) brings TONS of good news to all of us :]

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected post interview. I always knew it was a reach but it still feels like a punch in the gut. Has been my dream school since high school.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. For those who got in I really am envious, this is an amazing school and I know you guys will flourish here.

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected post interview. I always knew it was a reach but it still feels like a punch in the gut. Has been my dream school since high school.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. For those who got in I really am envious, this is an amazing school and I know you guys will flourish here.
I feel for you man. Despite of the pain of waiting, I think seeing this makes me appreciate the waitlist more. I hope things work out for you in the end!

@Dr Turkelton, I'm sorry to hear this news. I know from experience how much this "no" hurts. Your good wishes are so gracious--you'll be a fine doctor, no matter which school has the pleasure of educating you. Hope to meet you at a sun-drenched conference for MDs sometime. . .I'll buy you a drink and we will laugh at our disappointments.

I have gotten some PM's asking questions so I think I will post my answers here for everyone.

1. How many letters did you send the admissions office? And we're they just updates or letters of intents?

I sent 4 letters. The 2nd was a letter of intent and the 3rd and 4th reiterated my intent. I only had a substantial update for 2 of the letters. The other 2 letters had just 1 or 2 sentences of updating what I was (continuing) doing followed by a content of basically being really humble, grateful for the interview, and dying to go to the school. I also actively did NEW interesting things (e.g. volunteering experiences, clinical experiences) that I could update the admissions about so that I could also reiterate my intent. I am pretty sure my letters helped them remember me. I also felt that I didn't have that great of an interview so I kept wanting to do something so I wasn't just another dude applying.

2. Is it useful to send letters later on in the process?

I give an emphatic YES to this question. This is when it is arguably most useful. I know for a fact that some of my classmates sent letters as late as June. One person sent a letter of intent in early June and got accepted in mid-June. Especially since the April 30 deadline exists this year, I think it is really important to keep showing interest so they know you are still really interested or intent on coming.

3. What was the content of your later letters (since you had already said you were intent on going in previous letters)?

Honestly it was pretty much another more hopeful and/or desperate letter of intent. Like at that point, not to sound cliche, but I thought if I'm going to go down I'm going to go down swinging. I thought there is nothing for me to lose at this point the so I might as well send another one. Luckily, that last dying effort is all that mattered at the end. I was accepted shortly after that last letter, after months of cold silence.

Hopefully this was helpful to some people. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Dr Turkelton, I'm sorry to hear this news. I know from experience how much this "no" hurts. Your good wishes are so gracious--you'll be a fine doctor, no matter which school has the pleasure of educating you. Hope to meet you at a sun-drenched conference for MDs sometime. . .I'll buy you a drink and we will laugh at our disappointments.
Thanks! Second round is on me :)

Thought I'd throw this out there...there's 256 people on the Class of 2019 fb page.

Thought I'd throw this out there...there's 256 people on the Class of 2019 fb page.

There are a lot of current students included in that number, so I wouldn't use that as an accurate measure. Last I heard we have 130 people planning on attending second look, which is the highest we have had in years. I can't say what that means for those on the waitlist, but I'm wishing you all the best.

Has anyone received their financial aid package here? My documents have been received for a while. Do they just inform you that it's ready by email?

Has anyone received their financial aid package here? My documents have been received for a while. Do they just inform you that it's ready by email?
I did. It's an email. Then I went to the netpartener, on the top clicked my account, then clicked disbursement. It shows the package.

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted thus far! Quick question to those on the waitlist: did anyone receive a personal email from Dean Ratts thanking us for our waitlist update?

Congrats to everyone that's been accepted thus far! Quick question to those on the waitlist: did anyone receive a personal email from Dean Ratts thanking us for our waitlist update?
I got one thanking me for my update a few days prior to being waitlisted.. on a Saturday/Sunday evening no less! She really works hard!!

Yes I did.

Thanks for the replies. I just received a thank you this afternoon, although I sent my update about 3 weeks ago.

Is there any way to confirm that the waitlist inquiry response was submitted? I did it a few weeks ago I think but my mind is playing tricks on me and I am hoping for a way to check. I haven't gotten a thank you from Dean Ratts.

Is there any way to confirm that the waitlist inquiry response was submitted? I did it a few weeks ago I think but my mind is playing tricks on me and I am hoping for a way to check. I haven't gotten a thank you from Dean Ratts.

Unless you sent in a separate emailed update, I don't know why you would get a thank you from Dean Ratts. I don't think the online portal is set up to send notes back to us

Unless you sent in a separate emailed update, I don't know why you would get a thank you from Dean Ratts. I don't think the online portal is set up to send notes back to us
I just used the online form, but Dean Ratts wrote me a separate email thanking me for it... It did take about two weeks to get that response from her though.

I just used the online form, but Dean Ratts wrote me a separate email thanking me for it... It did take about two weeks to get that response from her though.

Cool then! :) She's quite an impressive figure, and a great person to boot.

Wrote a super pathetic and super long email to withdraw from WashU--I really don't know how to go about it so I just went on and on about how much I love WashU and ended it awkwardly with a "but I can't go". After I sent it I was so ashamed how lame it sounds. Dean Ratts wrote back immediately, warmly comforting me, telling me it'll be alright and inviting me back for residency. Ugh. WashU. I'm still hang up on you and your people. A lot.

Thank you WashU for the award and for the acceptance. I don't know how I deserve all that. Hopefully the scholly will help one of you having an easier time to pick this amazing school.

Reactions: 8 users
Wrote a super pathetic and super long email to withdraw from WashU--I really don't know how to go about it so I just went on and on about how much I love WashU and ended it awkwardly with a "but I can't go". After I sent it I was so ashamed how lame it sounds. Dean Ratts wrote back immediately, warmly comforting me, telling me it'll be alright and inviting me back for residency. Ugh. WashU. I'm still hang up on you and your people. A lot.

Thank you WashU for the award and for the acceptance. I don't know how I deserve all that. Hopefully the scholly will help one of you having an easier time to pick this amazing school.
*SMH* FFH - getting accepted to a residency before even matriculating to med school. I knew you would.

Reactions: 8 users
*SMH* FFH - getting accepted to a residency before even matriculating to med school. I knew you would.
I might actually take her up on that offer since ObGyn is one of the gazillion specialties that I'm interested in.

Awww, @FriendlyFH! You are a sweetie. . .no wonder that that endearing quality and your smarts make you universally beloved! As I read your post, I got that old Mary McGregor song stuck in my mind (darn you! :p): "There are times that a woman has to say what's on her mind / Even though she knows how much it's gonna hurt. . .Torn between two lovers--feeling like a fool / Loving you both is breaking all the rules." Sigh. Watcha gonna do?

Thanks for sharing this story and congratulations to you. The future is so bright! :clap::clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Got the call from Dean Ratts this morning!
CONGRATS
do you still have to decide by Thursday?
my most recent acceptance (yesterday) said that I had two weeks to decide but the other school might not like it if I held two acceptances after april 30.

Thanks everybody!
CONGRATS
do you still have to decide by Thursday?
my most recent acceptance (yesterday) said that I had two weeks to decide but the other school might not like it if I held two acceptances after april 30.
Dean Ratts said I have two weeks, but I'll have to check with Baylor to make sure I have more time haha.

So happy for you. If you want to hear a rather one sided advocation for WashU--I know nothing about Baylor, you know who to PM!

Congrats!
Wondering were you on the wait list? Or was this an outright acceptance? I'm just curious as to whether there is wait list movement already.

And...just wanted to give a quick shout out to the peeps on the wait list...good luck to all of u!

Just withdrew my acceptance... hope one of yall gets it! I want to stay in CA :p
Hey, I've heard of that "Love California" syndrome--powerful and lifelong!! :) Congratulations to you, and wishing you success!

Congrats!
Wondering were you on the wait list? Or was this an outright acceptance? I'm just curious as to whether there is wait list movement already.

And...just wanted to give a quick shout out to the peeps on the wait list...good luck to all of u!
I was accepted off the waitlist, Dean Ratts mentioned on the phone that they already had movement on it.

Proud to say I will be headed to WashU this August!!

Reactions: 21 users
Withdrew from WashU today and I can confirm that Dean Ratts is the sweetest. :sick:

Reactions: 6 users