2017-2018 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's a two week Christmas break?!

I don't think everyone gets the full two weeks off, so there might still be people at work in the admissions office while the students are away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For all the fellow post-interview wait-listed applicants, have you sent in a letter of interest/intent (not sure about the difference) to Cooper? I know they don't accept updates but would LOI be alright? I loved the school...so just wondering if I should let them know. Also, I am guessing we will be waiting till 2018 May and later in the hopes of getting accepted here?

M2 here. Sent multiple updates/LOIs after I was placed on then WL, not sure if it helped but guess it didn’t hurt!

Reactions: 2 users
Just cancelled my interview, hopefully one of yall get it. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys able to pay your deposit fee yet?

Anybody get any calls today? Or called the office for updates?

They just sent out an email update about the deposit

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing soon. Are there any pre and/or post interview events for interviewees such as meet and greets and other related social gatherings.

Interviewing soon. Are there any pre and/or post interview events for interviewees such as meet and greets and other related social gatherings.
Apart from the standard people-starting-to-arrive gatherings, there is a planned, optional gathering at the end of the day with students, some adcoms, and interviewees

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

For those who are accepted and waiting to send in their deposits, I think the systems working; I was able to submit my deposit just now.

After calling them a few times, I finally got through! The lady who answered my call said they welcome updates after getting placed on the post-interview wait-list. Most of the movement won't happen until May. Also, I confirmed that there is no high priority vs regular wait-list.

Just realized: I forgot to ask where to upload/email the updates. Don't want to call again...

After calling them a few times, I finally got through! The lady who answered my call said they welcome updates after getting placed on the post-interview wait-list. Most of the movement won't happen until May. Also, I confirmed that there is no high priority vs regular wait-list.

Just realized: I forgot to ask where to upload/email the updates. Don't want to call again...

I sent mine to the email address that notified us of the waitlist and also the one listed on the admissions website since it was different!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...........They JUST now gave me a secondary.....is it even worth my time to submit it?

I'm not sure if anyone else has this situation but I submitted the AMCAS in August and had given up on this school a while ago when I did not receive a secondary email. I just received an invite to fill out the secondary application today...and the final deadline is in two weeks for all applications.

I didn't realize they would still send out secondaries this late, and my question is - is it still worth submitting, or is this just more of an attempt to get more secondary fees? Would I still have a shot at getting my application a serious review? I understand acceptances have been going out for over a month now, so it feels late.

I'm not sure if anyone else has this situation but I submitted the AMCAS in August and had given up on this school a while ago when I did not receive a secondary email. I just received an invite to fill out the secondary application today...and the final deadline is in two weeks for all applications.

I didn't realize they would still send out secondaries this late, and my question is - is it still worth submitting, or is this just more of an attempt to get more secondary fees? Would I still have a shot at getting my application a serious review? I understand acceptances have been going out for over a month now, so it feels late.
It's a tough decision because I really like this school and it's mission, and it's really close to home. But yes, just not sure if submitting at this point is just a cash grab.

Just got a secondary. I might as well submit because it's one of my favorite schools, and I've been hoping to get this secondary for a while!

Haha got the secondary also. That’s gonna be a no from me... I do like the school, but not necessarily better than other places and I have my doubts that a December secondary will yield any useful results.

Hi, I too just got the secondary today and I was wondering to myself like many of you if it is even worth it based on how late the cycle is. So I decided to call the admins dept. I spoke with 1/4 of the people who review all of the applications and here are the answers I got from her, she was really helpful.

1. Is it worth it: She said yes (now is that a lie to get more $$ I don't know) but she said they do their admissions differently than most schools as many of you have noted. She said they send their secondaries in batches and don't fill their class on a rolling basis but keep a percentage of seats available as they go throughout the year. So the way I think is that each interview block/date they have maybe 5-10 seats that they fill then move on and re-set each interview date.

2. She said they screen very closely the initial primary apps and if you get a secondary it is based on passing a statistical algorithm. I was asking her because I am a non-traditional student and my post bac grades were great but they got filed in with my undergrad economics math grades which drop the overall science GPA, she said they take a look at it all.

3. She said get the secondary in ASAP naturally but that they do interviews through May.

I was on the border about doing it but after speaking with her, eh, why not.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol secondary in December...took 5 months to screen me huh?

Also wut, deadline is December 15th? Is this a test?

Also also, it says I have no letters of recommendation submitted? And they need to be submitted by the Dec 15th? But I submitted my AMCAS app and letters in July so...
Just got a secondary. I might as well submit because it's one of my favorite schools, and I've been hoping to get this secondary for a while!

For those who just got their secondary apps, what is you mcat and gpa? I was under the impression everyone gets it. I feel like my grades are pretty meh and they sent me one.

LizzyM of 65, IS and received a secondary from this school back in August. Realistic chance of receiving an II despite lower LizzyM score? Would love to hear back from them.

Not sure if you already got your II yet, but I also have a LM 65, and my interview is tomorrow (got the II sometime in Oct), so don't give up hope ;)

cool. why did you fav this school?

If you received a secondary, I would fill it out. For example, one of my classmates got one at the end of November, interviewed in February, and was accepted in March. What have you got to lose other than some money (which is most likely a drop in the bucket at this point)?

And for those of you asking about Lizzy M, etc. Do not forget that this is a mission-based school in an area that is in desperate need of healthcare, among other things. They are not only looking for grades, but also, for that 'something' that will help the people of this city. The motto is "Camden is our classroom, Camden is our home". If you think you would fit in well here and would bring something to the table...submit that application!

I absolutely love it here.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
is 'continued discussion' the same as being waitlisted?

is 'continued discussion' the same as being waitlisted?

Had my interview today and we were shown a flow chart of the decisions process. From what I understand, the adcom meets every Wed, and sends out either acceptances (phone calls) or rejections to some of the interviewees the following day, Thurs. Otherwise, interviewees receive a "continued discussion" email, which the flow chart only pointed to leading to either an acceptance or waitlist decision. So it's more like a deferral than an automatic waitlist, as you could still get accepted. Not sure if there was a mistake on there, but there was no rejection option from receiving this email, if that helps.

Last edited:
Has anyone else who interviewed on 11/17 still not heard anything? I thought they had said we'd hear something on 11/21 (yes/no/"continued discussion") but I didn't, and now that another Thursday of silence has passed, I'm a little nervous I misunderstood their timeline? I'd absolutely LOVE to go to Cooper, so I'm hoping the silence isn't a bad sign. THANKS.

...trying to be patient, but gosh darn that's hard when your dreams are on the line :)

How did people send in thank you letters? Directly to the interviewers or to the office of admissions?

Has anyone else who interviewed on 11/17 still not heard anything? I thought they had said we'd hear something on 11/21 (yes/no/"continued discussion") but I didn't, and now that another Thursday of silence has passed, I'm a little nervous I misunderstood their timeline? I'd absolutely LOVE to go to Cooper, so I'm hoping the silence isn't a bad sign. THANKS.

...trying to be patient, but gosh darn that's hard when your dreams are on the line :)

Yes, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just hoping that with Thanksgiving break, they have gotten backed up, and that the silence doesn't mean bad news for us. But if I don't hear by the end of this week, I might give them a call and see what's up.

Did anybody call the office to ask for updates on those who interviewed 11/17?

To those accepted:

- Is there a facebook group for the class of 2022?
- Besides filling out FASFA and starting to work on the Institutional Scholarship application, is there anything else we should be doing? TB tests? background checks? filling out forms? etc?
- when is second look day?
- lastly, for those of you weighing Cooper over multiple acceptances, why are you choosing Cooper over other schools?

Thank you!

To those accepted:

- Is there a facebook group for the class of 2022?
- Besides filling out FASFA and starting to work on the Institutional Scholarship application, is there anything else we should be doing? TB tests? background checks? filling out forms? etc?
- when is second look day?
- lastly, for those of you weighing Cooper over multiple acceptances, why are you choosing Cooper over other schools?

Thank you!
1. No.
2. Yes, relaxing. And after that, do some more relaxing to make sure you really relax. If I recall correctly, a lot of the shots and tests have to be completed within two months of matriculation. So aside from FAFSA and the scholarship form, you guessed it, relax.
3.Usually within the first 10 days of April. After, people usually head over to The Victor pub.
4. I’m already a student, but I chose it for: the mission, the clinical exposure, the volunteer opps, ALG, the clinic, the small class size, and its proximity to the amazing city that is Philly.

Last edited:
Scheduled interview for Feb. Secondary completed Sept 25.

Did anybody call the office to ask for updates on those who interviewed 11/17?

I didn’t. Probably will tomorrow (because currently working until 8pm) if I don’t hear anything today.

Anyone who interviewed 12/1 get a call? Staring nervously at my phone all day....

Anyone who interviewed 12/1 get a call? Staring nervously at my phone all day....

It actually occurred to me earlier today that they said we should hear back today, which is just crazy soon. Guess the wait continues...

How did people send in thank you letters? Directly to the interviewers or to the office of admissions?

Sent mine through an email to Dr Dayton (I think she was adcom, can't quite remember now).

We weren't given the emails of the interviewers, and I'm guessing there's a reason lol.

Nothing yet. If the adcom interviewer's job is to talk on our behalf at the meeting, what is the job of the blind interviewer? Do they have a say?

Nothing yet. If the adcom interviewer's job is to talk on our behalf at the meeting, what is the job of the blind interviewer? Do they have a say?
Yes. The blind interviewer does not get to see your application so he/she is able to make a decision based on your interview (personality, compassion, motivations, maturity, etc.). Two nods equal an acceptance.

Yes. The blind interviewer does not get to see your application so he/she is able to make a decision based on your interview (personality, compassion, motivations, maturity, etc.). Two nods equal an acceptance.
What if one nod and one shake?

So... did no one get a call to date? I know not everyone who interviewed on 12/1 is on SDN but crickets...?

I didn’t. Probably will tomorrow (because currently working until 8pm) if I don’t hear anything today.

I called, but didn’t get through to anyone in-person (they might be busy with interviews?) and didn’t want to commit to leaving a semi-desperate sounding message :( I’ll just continually remind myself that patience is a virtue...

I called, but didn’t get through to anyone in-person (they might be busy with interviews?) and didn’t want to commit to leaving a semi-desperate sounding message :( I’ll just continually remind myself that patience is a virtue...
So I called yesterday and got no answer. I left a message and emailed them too. I wish they'd answer.

So I called yesterday and got no answer. I left a message and emailed them too. I wish they'd answer.
Same. I guess playing the waiting game is better than being outright rejected? I don’t know...:xf::xf:

Are they receptive of in the area emails? I have been complete since August and have not heard anything.

who is the best person to send an update to?