2017-2018 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope we hear soon! I would like to start making living arrangements asap since the pre matriculation program (which I intend on doing) starts as early as July. Do you intend on living in Camden or Philadelphia?

I am also hoping we receive an update about when Second Look is and what it entails soon. This way I can begin buying flight tickets for my family and me early on. There is also a lengthy to-do list in order to begin at CMSRU (providing immunization records, getting vaccines, lab coat sizes, locker bookings, etc.). Other schools have already released all this information to accepted students, so I'm really hoping CMSRU sends us all of this soon!

Second look is generally the first week of April (you probably still have a while before you hear about it though since it is only January). Most meet up at The Victor Pub in Camden after the orientation.

As for your white coat, you try them on during orientation week (first week of Aug) to make sure you don’t wind up ordering the wrong size. Also, the white coat ceremony isn’t until the middle of September, other schools basically throw it at you the second day which is why the info about coat size goes out well in advance at other places.

Lastly, as for vaccinations and the like, that paperwork isn’t due for a LONG time (if I remember, July?) and some of the tests must be performed within 2 months of matriculation...so don’t even worry about that at this point.

As always, if anyone has any questions regarding the pre-matric program or living situations (about half live in Philly/Camden), pm me at any time. I will try my best to answer promptly.

I know it’s an exciting time...just remember to breathe and relax while you can! Everything will fall into place.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope we hear soon! I would like to start making living arrangements asap since the pre matriculation program (which I intend on doing) starts as early as July. Do you intend on living in Camden or Philadelphia?

I am also hoping we receive an update about when Second Look is and what it entails soon. This way I can begin buying flight tickets for my family and me early on. There is also a lengthy to-do list in order to begin at CMSRU (providing immunization records, getting vaccines, lab coat sizes, locker bookings, etc.). Other schools have already released all this information to accepted students, so I'm really hoping CMSRU sends us all of this soon!

I'm planning to do the pre-matriculation program too. So hopefully we will see each other there lol. Yeah, I'm on the same page with you, I hope I can make living arrangements soon. I don't have any family here so I need a place to store my stuff as my lease ends soon. I'm planning to live in Camden or closer to there but def not Philly.

I'm planning to visit my parent for 6 weeks and come back right before the program starts so I hope to get other stuff done before I'm leaving, or else July is gonna be a crazy month for me :(

And there will be no fb group this year as I heard there was lots of spam and “fakers” joining last year. I’m sure a list or the like will be sent out closer to the end of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what time they make the calls for the acceptances? High hopes but if they do make calls.. I don't want to miss it..

Does anyone know what time they make the calls for the acceptances? High hopes but if they do make calls.. I don't want to miss it..
It's usually on Thursdays morning till noon according to all the posts in this thread

My interview is coming up next week. Any tips? Cooper is my top choice!

Reactions: 1 user
II just now! Fridays open next week, two dates in Feb, one or two dates in March. I'm in state and was complete 9/18.

II just now! I snagged the last date in January. OOS (but VERY close to Cooper) and complete early September

Reactions: 1 users
Chances of any more interview invites going out today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here next week. Very nervous but also very excited! How was everyone else’s interview day?

Interviewing here next week. Very nervous but also very excited! How was everyone else’s interview day?

Good! Two interviewers at the table, one person with my file in front of them and the other one “blind” who knew nothing about me. Lasted about 45 minutes—the usual questions. Be prepared to emphasize why you’re interested in Cooper, medicine, and community service within Camden specifically.

Personally, I was nervous, so my thoughts weren’t as organized as I would’ve liked, but there was only one question that caught me entirely off-guard (PM me). Re-read your AMCAS application, personal statement, secondary application, peruse Cooper’s website to learn about their mission, BREATHE and you’ll be okay.

The tour, the facilities, the staff, the students were incredible. Everyone was friendly and very down-to-earth. I loved everything about Cooper and would attend in a heartbeat if I’m fortunate enough to be accepted! :xf::xf::xf:

Good! Two interviewers at the table, one person with my file in front of them and the other one “blind” who knew nothing about me. Lasted about 45 minutes—the usual questions. Be prepared to emphasize why you’re interested in Cooper, medicine, and community service within Camden specifically.

Personally, I was nervous, so my thoughts weren’t as organized as I would’ve liked, but there was only one question that caught me entirely off-guard (PM me). Re-read your AMCAS application, personal statement, secondary application, peruse Cooper’s website to learn about their mission, BREATHE and you’ll be okay.

The tour, the facilities, the staff, the students were incredible. Everyone was friendly and very down-to-earth. I loved everything about Cooper and would attend in a heartbeat if I’m fortunate enough to be accepted! :xf::xf::xf:
Thanks! I can’t PM you because of your privacy settings

Thanks! So there's just one interview with two people in front of us? Are there any type of MMI/acting scenarios in addition to the traditional interview?
No, just the interview. They present stuff in morning (financial aid office, ciriculum, ect), and then they split you into groups to go on the tour and interview. The interview was less stressful than I anticipated. One thing I’d recommend is come up with some questions for them before hand and write them down so that when they ask you, you have something ready.

A general note: all forms of, or events relating to, the standardized patient interaction has been removed. When my group interviewed, I asked about it and it no longer is a thing.

just withdrew from my interview. hope it goes to someone here waiting to hear from Cooper!

Reactions: 2 users
Good Luck!! I absolutely loved the school and they really sold me at the interview. The day is very relaxed - be yourself and be authentic!

II today! Complete since late August, first available date was in March.

EDIT: Interviews are held on Fridays and are limited to 27 candidates (as per II email), so from the calendar I could see there were 3 more dates or roughly 81 interviews left.

Last edited:

I don't know if you were still waiting but second look day is 4/14 - asked the admission office

I just canceled my interview and withdrew my application. Cooper seems like a great school, but I'm running out of money to be able to go to interviews. Hope my interview slot goes to one of you folks!

@BadSanta and all other current students, how would you review the curriculum? What I mean is I know it's PBL with some lecture, but I have never experience PBL and am not sure if I am fit for it. My question is, as a student, what are the pros/cons in your eyes of PBL? I also know it varies person to person and from school to school so I am just looking for some very general reviews on how it compared to traditional lectures from undergrad etc. Thanks :)

@BadSanta and all other current students, how would you review the curriculum? What I mean is I know it's PBL with some lecture, but I have never experience PBL and am not sure if I am fit for it. My question is, as a student, what are the pros/cons in your eyes of PBL? I also know it varies person to person and from school to school so I am just looking for some very general reviews on how it compared to traditional lectures from undergrad etc. Thanks :)
In regard to ALG (active learning group; similar to PBL), I love it! For me, ALG is not a primary learning tool but instead serves to reinforce and add-on to what has been taught in lecture/lab (lab is just an additional lecture, fyi). Also, ALG becomes kind of like a home away from home. It's a place that I look forward to visiting 3 days per week because I have become closest with the people in my ALG.

Now, in terms of not knowing whether or not you are a fit for it...allow me to get on my soapbox for a moment. Lots of things that you are forced to do throughout medical school will not 'fit' you. Even if you are looking forward to something in a curriculum, it may not live up to your expectations. One thing I have learned is that medical school teaches one to adapt and to 'roll with the punches'. If you are worried about it not being a fit, perhaps think more positively and view it as an opportunity for growth. Throughout your career, you will be required to sit in a room with people to discuss a variety of topics so, in my opinion, the earlier you grow accustom to it the better off you will be. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Great question and if you have anything else that's on your mind, feel free to ask or to PM me.

Last edited:
Has anyone sent an update following being wait listed and received a response? I had called in November to check if the updates are accepted after getting placed on the wait list and the lady I talked to said yes. I sent an update combined with a letter of intent in the beginning of December to the admissions email. Then a week ago, I sent another email asking to confirm if it was received and added to my file as I have one more update I'd like to send. But alas, not a word back. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced similar or different situation regarding updates?

Anyone still not hear anything at all after submitting secondary? I've been complete since September...

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get put on an interview waitlist if a spot becomes available? I only got my secondary in December, so I feel like the scheduling and timing could have been better organized...

Are they out of interview spots?
Unclear, the only thing it says about it is "we expect seats to open between now and the final interview day in April", which is why I kind of assume they have filled up?

I got the interview waitlist email also! I'm hoping it turns into an interview...

Anyone else get put on an interview waitlist if a spot becomes available? I only got my secondary in December, so I feel like the scheduling and timing could have been better organized...
+1. Here's to hopefully seeing all you fellow waitlisters in person later this cycle!

I didn’t get put on the waitlist, and haven’t heard anything... who knows what’s coming my way lol

5K+ applications at a school where the average class size is less than 95 people (will be maxing out at 104 this year)...it has nothing to do with timing/planning, as there are only so many people on administration. As they say, this process is part skill and part luck. There are a few schools from my application cycle that still have not rejected me!

But hey, at least it is better than a flat out rejection. Best of luck to all and as always let me know if you have any questions.

5K+ applications at a school where the average class size is less than 95 people (will be maxing out at 104 this year)...it has nothing to do with timing/planning, as there are only so many people on administration. As they say, this process is part skill and part luck. There are a few schools from my application cycle that still have not rejected me!

But hey, at least it is better than a flat out rejection. Best of luck to all and as always let me know if you have any questions.

First of all, you’re absolutely right. In the scheme of the entire process this is par for the course and I wasn’t intending to blame the school or anyone in the admissions office, admissions offices work their tails off. I was just venting because (second of all), I’m sure you remember being in the applicant shoes and how frustrating in can be to apply to a school (that is your number one choice) and 6 months later get a secondary and 2 months later get an interview waitlist. It’s a long and crappy process, so IMO don’t be too bothered when ppl complain about how long and crappy it is.

First of all, you’re absolutely right. In the scheme of the entire process this is par for the course and I wasn’t intending to blame the school or anyone in the admissions office, admissions offices work their tails off. I was just venting because (second of all), I’m sure you remember being in the applicant shoes and how frustrating in can be to apply to a school (that is your number one choice) and 6 months later get a secondary and 2 months later get an interview waitlist. It’s a long and crappy process, so IMO don’t be too bothered when ppl complain about how long and crappy it is.
The wounds are still fresh, my friend. It's an awful process. Truly. I wish you the best of luck and do not forget that it ain't over until you know who sings.

Also, to those of you who have been accepted, a friend a school today just told me that CMSRU is working on an accepted students page. So when it is up, I am sure you will receive an email.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else from 1/26 hear back today?

Also, to those of you who have been accepted, a friend a school today just told me that CMSRU is working on an accepted students page. So when it is up, I am sure you will receive an email.

Finally haha

it says they give interviews till March - is that the case this year? how likely is it to get a II OOS

is cooper still sending out II? Also is it still a firm no Pre-II updates?

it says they give interviews till March - is that the case this year? how likely is it to get a II OOS
I am not sure when interview season ends, but as you said, it is typically the end of March.

Approximately 30% of each class is OOS. As to how many OOS’ers they interview, I have no idea.