2017-2018 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depends on where you live. If you can commute solely by patco, do that. If you're making a connection, driving might be easier.
Thanks! Gonna be living near fishtown/east kensington area? Will def have to transfer to patco if i take the septa down to market. But I dont know much about the parking situation near the school. Is it a monthly fee/is it a secured area/is the parking area close to the school itself?

Members don't see this ad.

Any calls today yet? So anxious I have some mad butterflies

Edit: So it's 12:53pm and no call from Dr. Kocher, got the email last week saying that they would be deciding yesterday and communicating decisions starting today...does that mean its safe to say I'm a waitlist/rejection? V sad

Last edited:
Thanks! Gonna be living near fishtown/east kensington area? Will def have to transfer to patco if i take the septa down to market. But I dont know much about the parking situation near the school. Is it a monthly fee/is it a secured area/is the parking area close to the school itself?
Hm, might not be that bad if you're just taking the MFL to the patco! You'll probably want to try both out and then decide. I'm not sure whether the parking situation will be different next year, but right now it's a fenced lot right behind the school with a first come, first served policy and no fee. There's a garage across from the school, but that costs money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the last day would be to hear back about "Continued Discussion?" Received the continued discussion email on 3/16 and haven't heard anything since. I sent a letter of intent but is there anything else that I should do to show the school how interested I am? It would mean the world to me to be accepted here.

Any calls today yet? So anxious I have some mad butterflies

Edit: So it's 12:53pm and no call from Dr. Kocher, got the email last week saying that they would be deciding yesterday and communicating decisions starting today...does that mean its safe to say I'm a waitlist/rejection? V sad

Not necessarily, sometimes your interviewer couldn't make it to the committee meeting.

Just received financial aid package today!

EDIT: Did anyone received any kind of institutional aid, or has this not been disbursed yet? I received an email earlier that said information on eligibility for institutional aid would be released by the end of April.

Last edited:

EDIT: Did anyone received any kind of institutional aid, or has this not been disbursed yet? I received an email earlier that said information on eligibility for institutional aid would be released by the end of April.

I believe they said hopefully by 2nd Look. An e-mail went out yesterday saying that they have not yet finalized the budget for cost of tuition, but hopefully by June they would have that finalized. In addition, in that e-mail it referred to the Institutional aid that you could have applied for by April 1st and that they hope to have that info out to eligible students by Second Look day.

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats!! When did you receive your acceptance? Like from your acceptance to receiving your financial aid package, how long did it take?? Thanks!

Hi, for anyone who is currently a student at CMSRU, do you mind answering a few questions I have about the curriculum? Thank you, I really appreciate it!!
- When do you guys normally have exams and how often do you have them? Are they all graded or are some just for practice?
- What is the grading system like?
- When do you guys normally begin hardcore prep for Step 1 and Step 2? When do you usually take Step 1 + 2?
- Where are the clerkships usually located (are they all at Cooper) and have you had difficulty finding clerkships or getting to clerkships?
Thanks again!

Hi, for anyone who is currently a student at CMSRU, do you mind answering a few questions I have about the curriculum? Thank you, I really appreciate it!!
- When do you guys normally have exams and how often do you have them? Are they all graded or are some just for practice?
- What is the grading system like?
- When do you guys normally begin hardcore prep for Step 1 and Step 2? When do you usually take Step 1 + 2?
- Where are the clerkships usually located (are they all at Cooper) and have you had difficulty finding clerkships or getting to clerkships?
Thanks again!
We're on a block system, so we generally have one big exam every 4-6 weeks at the end of the block. The exams are all for credit, although second year you do some practice step exams. Otherwise, every week there's a formative quiz that gives you some practice questions to do on your own time. We're the standard sort of pass/fail. M2s are currently in the middle of their hardcore Step prep and take Step 1 before beginning 3rd year. They get a chunk of time for dedicated study, but I don't know the details, and I haven't heard much of anything about Step 2. I'm pretty sure there are some clerkships that are elsewhere, but almost everything is at the main hospital here.

Congrats!! When did you receive your acceptance? Like from your acceptance to receiving your financial aid package, how long did it take?? Thanks!

Hey I received my acceptance 3/15 and was packaged 3/26 (according to the snail mail award letter I just opened). I think it all depends on how quickly you get in your FAFSA and other forms!

We're on a block system, so we generally have one big exam every 4-6 weeks at the end of the block. The exams are all for credit, although second year you do some practice step exams. Otherwise, every week there's a formative quiz that gives you some practice questions to do on your own time. We're the standard sort of pass/fail. M2s are currently in the middle of their hardcore Step prep and take Step 1 before beginning 3rd year. They get a chunk of time for dedicated study, but I don't know the details, and I haven't heard much of anything about Step 2. I'm pretty sure there are some clerkships that are elsewhere, but almost everything is at the main hospital here.

Thank you for responding! So the curriculum is pretty similar to most medical schools. Thanks!!

Hey I received my acceptance 3/15 and was packaged 3/26 (according to the snail mail award letter I just opened). I think it all depends on how quickly you get in your FAFSA and other forms!

Okay, thanks! So I submitted my FAFSA way before (like Feb) and I just got my acceptance this Thursday. Is there anything else you filled out or prepared before getting your financial aid package? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks! So I submitted my FAFSA way before (like Feb) and I just got my acceptance this Thursday. Is there anything else you filled out or prepared before getting your financial aid package? Thanks again!

Nope! The only other thing would be the application for Institutional Aid and essay. The deadline was April 1st, but since you were accepted after that date, I would reach out to the financial aid office and see if you could still submit.

Thank you for responding! So the curriculum is pretty similar to most medical schools. Thanks!!
Similar to all but the most stodgy! The big difference for us is that we do our anatomy alongside our blocks. We don't start with cadavers until skeleto-muscular systems, and then we do the relevant dissections as we move through the organs.

Waitlisted just now...a little bummed because Cooper is my number one choice, any idea out there about how helpful a LOI would be/what the waitlist movement is like?

Waitlisted just now...a little bummed because Cooper is my number one choice, any idea out there about how helpful a LOI would be/what the waitlist movement is like?
I think LOIs are usually not all that useful, but I can't speak to that with any authority. As for waitlist movement, it usually starts mid-May. Most years have seen a good amount of waitlist movement, but last year saw very little. Hopefully last year was a fluke and you'll get a call, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a couple months.

I think LOIs are usually not all that useful, but I can't speak to that with any authority. As for waitlist movement, it usually starts mid-May. Most years have seen a good amount of waitlist movement, but last year saw very little. Hopefully last year was a fluke and you'll get a call, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a couple months.

Strider, I was looking at the new MSAR and it claimed 15 people were accepted off the waitlist. I'm assuming a lot of people don't make it known that they got in through the waitlist making it seem like there wasn't that much movement?

With heavy heart, I just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to you all, hope that whoever gets the spot will use it well

Strider, I was looking at the new MSAR and it claimed 15 people were accepted off the waitlist. I'm assuming a lot of people don't make it known that they got in through the waitlist making it seem like there wasn't that much movement?
15 is maybe not that many, and keep in mind there's a difference between 15 accepted and 15 matriculated. But I'm not judging by number of people I know who got in off the waitlist. The admissions folks are the ones who told me (and others) that there was not much waitlist movement last year. They try to be pretty conservative with the number of acceptances they offer off the bat - it's such a small school so the percent of accepted students who matriculate can vary quite a bit, and you do not want to go over your enrollment number - so their plan has been, in years prior, to make good use of a waitlist. Can't promise that that hasn't changed, but I do know that last year didn't see much waitlist movement.

What do students usually wear on the 2nd look day??
It seems like some schools prefer formal and some schools prefer casual..

What do students usually wear on the 2nd look day??
It seems like some schools prefer formal and some schools prefer casual..
I’m going business casual. Dress pants (or khakies), button down shirt, belt, decent shoes. I feel like you can’t really go wrong with that

Has anyone heard that they are receiving need-based aid (scholarships)? I'm trying to determine if the loans in my award letter are all that I am going to receive so that I can make an informed decision about where to attend. Thanks for any info!

I’m going business casual. Dress pants (or khakies), button down shirt, belt, decent shoes. I feel like you can’t really go wrong with that

I was thinking about the same and no tie.

Thanks!

Has anyone heard that they are receiving need-based aid (scholarships)? I'm trying to determine if the loans in my award letter are all that I am going to receive so that I can make an informed decision about where to attend. Thanks for any info!

I am also waiting to hear back about the need-based aid. Hopefully they will let us know before the 2nd look day!

I am also waiting to hear back about the need-based aid. Hopefully they will let us know before the 2nd look day!

+1 My award package contained only loans. As far as I know, scholarships and need-based aid have yet to be dispersed but should be before the end of April. I had emailed financial aid about my institutional application, etc. and was told we would hear back before the end of the month.

In terms of second look day, business casual is a safe bet. I'm going with chinos, button-down and nice shoes. Excited to meet you guys there!

Has anyone from the WL for this cycle heard back from cooper?

Little curious, anyone else from the 3/9 interview day hear back? Doesn't seem like there are many posts regarding decisions from that time frame and I wonder if the late-cycle interview meant we were potentially interviewing for the waitlist. Met a bunch of super nice people that day, hopefully there have been some acceptances!

Little curious, anyone else from the 3/9 interview day hear back? Doesn't seem like there are many posts regarding decisions from that time frame and I wonder if the late-cycle interview meant we were potentially interviewing for the waitlist. Met a bunch of super nice people that day, hopefully there have been some acceptances!

I interviewed that day and haven't heard anything lol...

A girl I know called the admissions office and asked if the later interview dates were for the waitlist or actual spots and they said they have a specific number of seats for admission during each interview date.

I was wondering the same thing. I didn’t get anything either

Accepted!! Got the call about an hour ago :)

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Decided to go with a school that offered me more aid. I hope one of you wonderful people is offered a spot!

Hey everyone, me again.
I will be at the second look day this Saturday giving out info about my place for rent that some of you may be interested in.
I will also be around before or after to give tours if you'd like to take a look or just have any questions.
Message me if you'd like to schedule something, in case I miss you the day of.

Attachments

• Room for Rent.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Just withdrew my acceptance. Decided to go with a school that offered me more aid. I hope one of you wonderful people is offered a spot!

Yes the aid was very disappointing

Yes the aid was very disappointing

I don't believe they have sent out the actual award letters yet. As of now it only seems like the usual Stafford loans.

I don't believe they have sent out the actual award letters yet. As of now it only seems like the usual Stafford loans.
No, I received my institutional scholarship aid email today. Last week I received the award package with loans via snail mail.

Last edited:
no I got an e-mail today with the need based scholarship info. They will be following it up with a snail mail updated award letter

Today was awesome! I feel like this class is awesome, and today only solidified that feeling

Reactions: 3 users
Also, looking for three others to live on Chambers avenue in a modern townhouse! Message if interested.

Does anyone know when ADCOM will email students who are on the waiting list asking if they are still interested?

Withdrew from the WL - good luck to those of you waiting and congrats again to those accepted!

Accepted students should check the discussion board on CMSRU's blackboard for Facebook group instructions.

I absolutely love Cooper, but I withdrew my acceptance today (one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make), so hopefully it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist! Good luck!!!!

Does anyone know the chances of being accepted off the priority waitlist?

Wondering the same as above, and also wondering if anyone knew if the 15 accepted last year were from the regular waitlist or priority or a combination.

Wondering the same as above, and also wondering if anyone knew if the 15 accepted last year were from the regular waitlist or priority or a combination.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think they got all the way through the priority list last year, although it may be different IS/OOS.