2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! Interviewed 1/31 and was never waitlisted
do you mind me asking IS or OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Come on EVMS, show your in-state waitlist some love...

Reactions: 4 users
OOS waitlisted in the top 1/3. Accepted today!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who has sent an update recently (within last 2 weeks) received a confirmation email back?

Just as a rule of thumb we have more OOS waitlist movement than IS due to people getting in to their state schools and choosing to go there instead (they’re usually a lot cheaper)

If they run out of OOS people in the top third will they move to the second third of the waitlist or will they wait until they've finished the top third completely?

If they run out of OOS people in the top third will they move to the second third of the waitlist or will they wait until they've finished the top third completely?
They look for someone who fits the stats and demographics of the person who released their acceptance. They look through the top third and if there’s no one, they go to the second third. That’s what I’ve heard anyway

The process of pulling people from each third of the WL isn't quite that rigid. While applicants placed on the upper third obviously get preference, EVMS tries to keep a diverse class. If, for example, an accepted applicant with a 3.65/508, a demonstrated passion for working with the developmentally disabled population, and a history of running track for school teams withdraws their seat in the class, then adcoms will run through each third of the WL until they find a candidate with a similar profile. Pretty unlikely you'd find someone with similar stats AND a background working with that exact population AND a history of running track, but maybe 2 of those 3 could be found in another applicant. And that applicant might come from the middle 1/3 vs. the top 1/3 early on in the game.

I applied this cycle, received an email of my full application being completed on 8/3/2017, and since then have not received any updates, rejections, or interview invites. I even attempted to call them in January to which I was told that 'My application is completed but I have not been cleared for an interview yet'. It's March now, and I have still not had any updates regarding my status. Is it safe for me to assume I'm rejected and they forgot to send me an email or update my portal? Should I call them again to ask and confirm?

I applied this cycle, received an email of my full application being completed on 8/3/2017, and since then have not received any updates, rejections, or interview invites. I even attempted to call them in January to which I was told that 'My application is completed but I have not been cleared for an interview yet'. It's March now, and I have still not had any updates regarding my status. Is it safe for me to assume I'm rejected and they forgot to send me an email or update my portal? Should I call them again to ask and confirm?
I think they will contact you when they want to relay some information to you. Many people sit in silence until May or later. When interview season is over, I’d assume you’re rejected but I’m not sure it’s necessary to email to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive any notification from them until I was invited to interview. One suggestion I have would be to send them an update! Since your application has been complete since August I'm sure you have things to add to it. Also by sending the update you are showing your continued interest in the school! I received my interview invite less than 2 weeks after having sent my update. I am not sure if the update was the reason for the invite or if it was a mere coincidence but I would say it couldn't hurt!

Does anyone know if EVMS holds seats for their MedMasters students and how that would potentially affect us on the waiting list? MedMasters students don't find out if they get in until after graduation which is in May, so some of the spots must be reserved for them, right? Or are they the first ones to come of their own version of the waiting list after traffic day?

Does anyone know if EVMS holds seats for their MedMasters students and how that would potentially affect us on the waiting list? MedMasters students don't find out if they get in until after graduation which is in May, so some of the spots must be reserved for them, right? Or are they the first ones to come of their own version of the waiting list after traffic day?

About 30 seats in the class are reserved for the MedMasters, and as far as I know they have their own waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know whom to write LOIs to if you're on the waitlist? My interviewer mentioned a woman's name but I can't recall it, but I know it wasn't Kerry Jones, Mary McLendon, or Laurie Radford (the three people whose emails are listed in the contact page for the admissions office)

Anyone know whom to write LOIs to if you're on the waitlist? My interviewer mentioned a woman's name but I can't recall it, but I know it wasn't Kerry Jones, Mary McLendon, or Laurie Radford (the three people whose emails are listed in the contact page for the admissions office)

Last week, I was told that all communication should go through the address evms_admissions@ EVMS.EDU. That's where I sent my update, maybe that's also where you send the LOI?

Received an email saying I’m on the alternate list. Top 1/3rd.

Does anyone know if EVMS is receptive to new LORs? It would be from a job that I started working at after I submitted my secondaries, so I wasn't able to get him to write one on time.

Does anyone know if EVMS is receptive to new LORs? It would be from a job that I started working at after I submitted my secondaries, so I wasn't able to get him to write one on time.

+1 on this question

+1 on this question

I just submitted a new LOR last week to the [email protected] email and they responded that day saying that they would download it from AMCAS. I just sent a little email saying why I wanted to submit the new LOR -- it was a similar situation, new job started after my application was submitted

I just submitted a new LOR last week to the evms_admissions@EVMSEDU email and they responded that day saying that they would download it from AMCAS. I just sent a little email saying why I wanted to submit the new LOR -- it was a similar situation, new job started after my application was submitted

Would they be willing to let the letter writer just email the letter or did they say it has to be sent through AMCAS?

Would they be willing to let the letter writer just email the letter or did they say it has to be sent through AMCAS?

I asked them if they wanted me to have my letter writer email them the letter directly, but I had already had my letter writer submit it to AMCAS and they said they would download it

I didn't receive any notification from them until I was invited to interview. One suggestion I have would be to send them an update! Since your application has been complete since August I'm sure you have things to add to it. Also by sending the update you are showing your continued interest in the school! I received my interview invite less than 2 weeks after having sent my update. I am not sure if the update was the reason for the invite or if it was a mere coincidence but I would say it couldn't hurt!
If anything, sending an update may prompt them to communicate their decision to you faster, since allopathic interview season is basically over.

Received an email saying I’m on the alternate list. Top 1/3rd.

This is probably SDN sampling bias but... I feel like there are a billion people in the top third of the wait-list at this point

I’m in the middle third if that helps lol

If anything, sending an update may prompt them to communicate their decision to you faster, since allopathic interview season is basically over.

This is probably SDN sampling bias but... I feel like there are a billion people in the top third of the wait-list at this point

Updates will not be looked at until your file is being considered for an acceptance off the waitlist.

Accepted off the waitlist. LM 71 IS Interviewed late January. Waitlisted top 1/3 in early February. There is hope!

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted off the waitlist. LM 71 IS Interviewed late January. Waitlisted top 1/3 in early February. There is hope!
Congratulations!! Just for the sake of knowing and so I can keep a hopeful eye out, what email address does the acceptance come from? Thanks!

I wish this school wasn’t so expensive for OOS! I adore EVMS but was accepted to a school 30k/year cheaper.

Congrats!! Did you get the acceptance email this Friday? And can I ask what day in January you interviewed?

Just a reminder about the Facebook group for those who have been accepted. There's not a lot up there yet, but it'll be a good resource/major point of contact for student activities when classes start: Log into Facebook | Facebook

I was recently offered an acceptance here. I went to the website to accept the offer, but I can't find where to do it. Anyone know?

I was recently offered an acceptance here. I went to the website to accept the offer, but I can't find where to do it. Anyone know?

Anyone from early March interviews heard back?

Is interview season for this school over? I havent been invited to interview, but I havent been rejected yet?? I called last thursday and all they said was "We interview on friday" and then hung up....

Is interview season for this school over? I havent been invited to interview, but I havent been rejected yet?? I called last thursday and all they said was "We interview on friday" and then hung up....

Yes, interview season ended late March.
:( Many schools don’t reject applicants until the interview season is over for some reason.

They just sent out an email today saying they have concluded their interviews. Assuming that means all those left in limbo have been rejected, including myself.

If they are preferentially selecting candidates off of the waitlist based on class-composition (e.g. OOS vs IS) doesn't that mean the list is unranked? What do you think they mean when they are talking about the top/middle/bottom 1/3?

Not here to burst your bubble or anything but I do want to clarify the waitlist process so that you don't get drawn into the false sense of security that you have a high chance of getting off the waitlist simply because you are in the top third.

Candidates are picked off the waitlist to best match the demographics of the candidate who gave up their seat. So while you do have a better chance than someone from the middle or lower third, if you don't match the stats, the adcoms will move to the other two thirds to find a match. There are also 100+ people per third of the waitlist, so even if "half the class comes off the waitlist", that's only ~75 people out of the total 300+ people on the waitlist who eventually are accepted (and a large majority of those will be OOS).

Back when I was applying, I was waitlisted in the middle third and my friend was waitlisted in the top third--I was an OOS non-white non-URM female and he was an OOS white male. I eventually got off the waitlist and he never did, so not everyone who is in the top third will get accepted.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer at all but I also don't want people here to get their hopes up and bank on getting that eventual acceptance just because they are in the top third. Yes, we have a good number of the class from the waitlist but that does not necessarily mean that everyone in the top third of the waitlist is going to get accepted. It's all going to boil down to whether someone similar to you gives up their seat.

With that said, I wish everyone on the waitlist the best of luck! May the odds be ever in your favor :D

Finally received the official R today via email (no interview).

I haven't heard back from early March either :(
Checked my spam folder and call the office today... they said the last meeting will be next week so fingers crossed

I haven't heard back from early March either :(
Checked my spam folder and call the office today... they said the last meeting will be next week so fingers crossed
I called on Friday and they said they’re meeting tonight. Hoping for a response soon

any idea when the financial aid packages get released?