2017-2018 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see! My portal just says "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine." So I'm assuming it has yet to be scored. Thanks for the info.

Yes - mine had that FOREVER (or it seemed like forever - it was actually a longer time than it took to get my MCAT score back, so clearly it *felt* like forever). I'm not sure about how everything works once you've been scored. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted mine 7/31 still not scored. Might've been complete a week later tho because even though my letters were sent it took awhile to process

I submitted mine 7/31 still not scored. Might've been complete a week later tho because even though my letters were sent it took awhile to process
Yea I submitted on 7/24 and was complete not to long after. (will keep an eye to see when I get scored!)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's no secret that it is easier to get into the MD/MPH program than the MD program. One question: Has anyone here gotten solely a MD/MPH II and not a MD II as well?

It's no secret that it is easier to get into the MD/MPH program than the MD program. One question: Has anyone here gotten solely a MD/MPH II and not a MD II as well?
Yep, I know a girl who got in to just the MD/MPH program and literally no where else. That was a couple years ago

I received a MD/MPH II only, but I did not apply to the MD program so I have no idea how that would have gone for me. I like to think that, since I received the II in August, I was high on their list, but then again that may just be wishful thinking!

I received a MD/MPH II only, but I did not apply to the MD program so I have no idea how that would have gone for me. I like to think that, since I received the II in August, I was high on their list, but then again that may just be wishful thinking!
I didn't know this at all, I applied to both so we will see I guess! Good luck all! Hoping the IIs continue to flood in!!

I didn't even know about the MPH program until part of the way through the application process. I was very interested in it, but ended up not applying because I thought I was not competitive. I guess there's still time? o_O

I know I have a really amazing reference letter (this person texted a pic of it to me), but I was scored before that letter was submitted. I've been scored for ages.

If I came up with some kind of update, do you guys think that would result in them reading my newer letters, as well? I only had one letter in when it was scored, and four are in now.

I got an II to both the MD and MD/MPH program. For those who have already interviewed, how do you recommend traveling to both Miami Dade and Palm Beach?

Any tips on how you prepped for the interview?

And lastly, for those who interviewed, when did you find out your exact interview schedule (what time interview is at, etc)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know I have a really amazing reference letter (this person texted a pic of it to me), but I was scored before that letter was submitted. I've been scored for ages.

If I came up with some kind of update, do you guys think that would result in them reading my newer letters, as well? I only had one letter in when it was scored, and four are in now.

I think if you had a significant update (publication, presentation, new work experience, volunteer work, abroad experience, etc), then it would be worth it to update the school. They may look at your app again, which would hopefully result in them looking at your reference letters as well. However, since they already scored you, it may take some time before they re-review your app (this is my opinion; I do not know if I am correct). Overall, I think it's worth it to update any school if you have a substantial update. If you do not, I would wait to update the school until you do.

I think if you had a significant update (publication, presentation, new work experience, volunteer work, abroad experience, etc), then it would be worth it to update the school. They may look at your app again, which would hopefully result in them looking at your reference letters as well. However, since they already scored you, it may take some time before they re-review your app (this is my opinion; I do not know if I am correct). Overall, I think it's worth it to update any school if you have a substantial update. If you do not, I would wait to update the school until you do.
...I'm going to have to find something I can do for a major update, I suppose!

Yes and no. The GPA/MCAT thresholds are a bit more relaxed but you still need to have experiences that tie in closely to public health. They want to ensure that the pool is large enough for people who want to actually engage in that work.

Not sure but I think there were people from the last two cycles who only got one or the other; obviously probably more common to solely receive an MD II.

I didn't even know about the MPH program until part of the way through the application process. I was very interested in it, but ended up not applying because I thought I was not competitive. I guess there's still time? o_O

It's not too late. You can still submit the additional questions for the MPH portion and notify the admissions office that you've submitted. That's exactly what I did. I was initially under the same understanding that it would be more competitive but it's actually not when you think about it. Most applicants don't really have a desire to work within the public health sector and would rather focus their energies solely on MD. I'd say it's probably more common for people to apply for MD/PhD or MBA although MBA might be more on par. And then MD/JD trails behind those haha

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't be silly.... Getting into either one is very Difficult. The MD/MPH is looking for candidates that have a desire to work in the public health arena and bring the needed academics. Not sure how meaningful average 3.73 to 3.66 GPA is or 87 percentile to 84.
The resident match and recent step scores would indicate not much.

Someone actually asked about the discrepancy during my interview day, and the admissions staff confirmed what was said above - the ideal applicant is a little different in that he/she has extensive public health and outreach experience with clear intentions to contribute to community health in the future, so numbers do not necessarily play as large as a role as they may do for traditional programs.

Somebody also asked about how the two programs vary in terms of residency, and they were comparable. There was historically a gap in Step 1 scores between the two, but I think they were tied this past year and have otherwise varied by like <3 points in recent years. The match lists are online, and in no way does the MPH limit you in matching - people are successful in getting competitive specialities every year. But given the type of applicant that would be interested in the program, it's not a surprise that most people do end up leaning towards a primary care speciality.

In essence, apply to the MPH if you want an MPH. It's not that it's easier to get into, but that their admission criteria varies slightly. Your outlook won't be limited by either program.

I think this is only possible if you apply to one or the other. If you select both on the secondary, an II for one automatically means an II for the other. At least that's what was said when I called and asked the office before I applied. Admissions decisions, on the other hand, are not the same - different committees -> you can get into neither, one, or both depending on how your interview goes and how you rank.

I know it's super late but I want to submit an app here. For this question: "Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine." I'm not sure what to do.

The reason I want to study medicine is because a family member got cancer but recovered, and I wanted to go into medicine after seeing the impact that a doctor can have on a person's life. However, this example isn't a clinical experience. My clinical volunteering and shadowing experiences have just been normal, boring stuff. I just scheduled appointments, cleaned up rooms, restocked supplies, etc. I can honestly say I don't have any anecdote from my clinical experiences that was super noteworthy (I did a lot of my shadowing and volunteering at a family doctor's office, so not exactly the most extreme or unique cases). Idk if I should make one up or something lol, or just use the personal example? Thoughts?

Def don't make one up because if you were to get an interview and they randomly brought that up that would probably not end well if you couldnt talk about it at all or didnt seem genuine

How long does it generally take for your app to be scored? I've been under review by the committee for a long time it feels like.

How long does it generally take for your app to be scored? I've been under review by the committee for a long time it feels like.

I submitted 7/31 and still haven't been scored

I submitted 7/29 and am in the same boat brotha. Hopefully this boat doesn't sink :highfive:

What are you stats wise? I'm 3.3 w/ large upward trend and 515, not sure if they stratify stuff and we're similar stats wise

My LizzyM is 68. Who knows, I've seen people post that they don't always tell us when our app is scored.

What are you stats wise? I'm 3.3 w/ large upward trend and 515, not sure if they stratify stuff and we're similar stats wise

My LizzyM is 68. Who knows, I've seen people post that they don't always tell us when our app is scored.

I was complete 8/10 so a little later than yall. Hopefully we see some kind of change soon!

Anyone that's already interviewed just get the "a final decision has been made" on the portal?

Anyone that's already interviewed just get the "a final decision has been made" on the portal?

I haven't interviewed there, but that sounds ominous. Let us know if you hear something concrete before.

Well it's not traffic day yet!
Yeah - I figure they can only hand out rejections at this point, right? They can't put anyone on the waitlist or extend an acceptance until Oct. 16?

I thought the first adcom meeting for decisions is on 10/16? I interviewed the first day (Sep 18) and still have an 'interview report will be reviewed' status

I haven't interviewed there, but that sounds ominous. Let us know if you hear something concrete before.

It's not ominous, it's the status everyone gets after the adcom has convened and made a decision. At the end of every adcom meeting, you either get a phone call for an acceptance or a waitlist email. They rarely outright reject people, they said basically everyone gets accepted or waitlisted->rejected at the end of the cycle

It's not ominous, it's the status everyone gets after the adcom has convened and made a decision. At the end of every adcom meeting, you either get a phone call for an acceptance or a waitlist email. They rarely outright reject people, they said basically everyone gets accepted or waitlisted->rejected at the end of the cycle

I only thought it seemed ominous since it is before traffic day. But if they're not outright rejecting, then I would be kind of excited!

I only thought it seemed ominous since it is before traffic day. But if they're not outright rejecting, then I would be kind of excited!

Yeah, it's just strange because from what I understand they have a list of 'acceptance dates' that they give to us through the hub app if you get an interview. From what their explanation sounded like, they have an adcom meeting scheduled on those days during which they make decisions. Right after it ends, members of the adcom give out the acceptances by phone call (~20ish per date). Otherwise, you get an email saying you are on the alternate list.

The first date on the list is on 10/16, but I guess it is possible they already convened? No idea

When you submitted on 7/22 and your app still hasn't been reviewed.
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.20.36 PM.png

Reactions: 25 users
My app also has the "final decision reached" status after I interviewed on 9/22. They told us in the interview that we could be getting a phone call on Oct. 4 with the decision, but if they decide not to do that, then it'll be October 15 or 16. I didn't think they reviewed apps until tomorrow but apparently they had an early meeting.

II this morning! MD and MD/MPH. I was complete late July, have been scored for a while but not sure how long. The available dates started in December.

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning! MD and MD/MPH. I was complete late July, have been scored for a while but not sure how long. The available dates started in December.
Did you get scored for both programs? Or did you just get scored for MD?

Did you get scored for both programs? Or did you just get scored for MD?

Both! I noticed the status changes on the same day, though I don't know if they changed at the exact same time. It was probably at least a month ago?

You'll probably hear something tomorrow. Historically, they change you status the week of and make decisions on the Wednesday of that week; sometimes spills into Thursday.

My app also has the "final decision reached" status after I interviewed on 9/22.

Ah you were one of the re-scheduled interview dates if I remember correctly? That may be why 9/18ers like me don't have our decisions yet, maybe they gave preference to review reports for people who were scheduled before but had to interview later due to the hurricane. And I don't think they mentioned 10/4 at our date either. Makes more sense now :)

Ah you were one of the re-scheduled interview dates if I remember correctly? That may be why 9/18ers like me don't have our decisions yet, maybe they gave preference to review reports for people who were scheduled before but had to interview later due to the hurricane. And I don't think they mentioned 10/4 at our date either. Makes more sense now :)
Yep I was one of those rescheduled but they said that the decisions this week would include those from 9/18, 9/22, and 9/25 so I'm not sure why yours doesn't have an update. Could just be a portal glitch.

Casual second year FL undergrad just passing by and taking notes. Rooting for all of you! :soexcited:

Good luck with the first wave of decisions!

Reactions: 6 users
"Your application has been reviewed..." Looks like I've finally been scored! Complete 7/26.

Question about MPH... I've been thinking about adding that in as well. This is one of my top schools, and I want to make sure they look at me.

I am interested in public health... but more from a perspective about how healthcare illiterate most patients' families are (no offense to anyone, just reporting the facts) and how the total lack of understanding most have affects what I see at work. If I were to do anything for research in public health, I'd be interested in seeing if additional education for patient family members would improve their compliance with patient wishes... if more extensive education on whether a particular procedure would extend the patient's lifespan vs. be a quick fix for the next day or so would result in decreased amounts of unnecessary procedures, etc.

Is there a place for people who are interested in these sorts of ideas, who clearly want to be hospital-based, in the MPH program, or are they more looking for people who want to work in the health department or something similar? Would I be obviously grasping at straws adding the MPH questions in?

Question about MPH... I've been thinking about adding that in as well. This is one of my top schools, and I want to make sure they look at me.

I am interested in public health... but more from a perspective about how healthcare illiterate most patients' families are (no offense to anyone, just reporting the facts) and how the total lack of understanding most have affects what I see at work. If I were to do anything for research in public health, I'd be interested in seeing if additional education for patient family members would improve their compliance with patient wishes... if more extensive education on whether a particular procedure would extend the patient's lifespan vs. be a quick fix for the next day or so would result in decreased amounts of unnecessary procedures, etc.

Is there a place for people who are interested in these sorts of ideas, who clearly want to be hospital-based, in the MPH program, or are they more looking for people who want to work in the health department or something similar? Would I be obviously grasping at straws adding the MPH questions in?

They are looking for whatever your heart desires (within reason lol). Actually works in your favor that your concept is more patient-centered because it shows you want to marry medicine and public health but they also don't mind more community-based endeavors at all.

Just make sure your ideas are well thought out and it's not something that's already in motion. AKA do your research.

Idk if I should make one up or something lol, or just use the personal example? Thoughts?

I'd strongly advise you against doing this. If you update your app with something I think they'd probably ask you about it in your interview, and if you weren't being on the level you'd come across as being shady.
Goro or one of the other admins would know better than I do, but they ask for contact information for just this reason: So if your interviewer smells BS, they can double check easily. Get caught and you can kiss Miami goodbye, quite possibly all of the other South Florida schools (adcomms gossip) and perhaps even all other MD schools, if the fib was outrageous enough for them to report you to AMCAS. And if you lie, the guilt and anxiety will likely make you nervous enough to raise a red flag, Telltale Heart style.

Sooo, anybody hear anything?

Nope! I interviewed the 22nd and was told we might be getting a call today if the Dean allowed...so either I’m not one of the chosen ones or they decided to wait until the 15th to let us know :/

Nope! I interviewed the 22nd and was told we might be getting a call today if the Dean allowed...so either I’m not one of the chosen ones or they decided to wait until the 15th to let us know :/

Check your portal.

Check your portal.

It changed from “decision had been made” yesterday to “the final admissions committee decision will be available on October 16th”

Did it change at all for you?

Last edited:
Finally got scored...fingers crossed for a II

Finally got scored...fingers crossed for a II
+1! This is already an improvement since I wasn’t scored (or at least according to the portal) last cycle. :D

Edit: was complete 7/6 or so

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users