2017-2018 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even though you prematched to UTSW, Long, and UTMB? That’s super odd

I have good stats but I also have a very non-trad story. I can see how one reviewer would look at my path to med school and think it's pretty cool, whereas it might not be what another reviewer is looking for. If anything it shows there is more to this process than numbers and that is a good thing for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Kinda contradicts this stat though...

View attachment 226183
Not necessarily contradictory... it’s hard to objectively say one interview was better than another. I can see the interview being the thing that breaks you at a competitive school, but probably not what makes you

Not necessarily contradictory... it’s hard to objectively say one interview was better than another.

I think interviewing is very subjective because if the interviewer connects with you and likes you, they will go to bat for you during the Adcom meeting and help sway those who have never met you to see past less than stellar metrics/stats or concerns on your app.

I think that is why the AAMC graph puts interviewer recommendation as the top priority in offers, while stats are tops for IIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think interviewing is very subjective because if the interviewer connects with you and likes you, they will go to bat for you during the Adcom meeting and help sway those who have never met you to see past less than stellar metrics/stats or concerns on your app.

I think that is why the AAMC graph puts interviewer recommendation as the top priority in offers, while stats are tops for IIs.
I think you’re spot on! Though also important to note that many interviewers don’t interact with the committee... student interviewers, random physicians they’ve pulled in from the committee, adjunct Faculty etc often just send their opinion of you via a portal, then go about their business as usual. If you’re interviewing with dean of admissions... that’s another ball game!

If anyone else likes to know too much like me... McGovern has their entire daily class schedule for all 4 years posted. Heart eyes x1000000000000
Calendar

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone else likes to know too much like me... McGovern has their entire daily class schedule for all 4 years posted. Heart eyes x1000000000000
Calendar

That's Gold!!

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

Prematched here on the 15th--deciding ranking now between here and Long in San Antonio. Super excited about this school.

Reactions: 4 users
We think they're done sending out II's at this point, right? Or no?

Edit: Went back and looked at last year...saw one II reported as late as 1/6. So, I guess I answered my own question. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone heard/know if they are sending out another round of prematches before Match Day?

Reactions: 3 users
Is it safe to say there is no more hope for getting an II here?

I just talked to a friend of mine that is an MS1 here now and he told me: "Everyone who I have talked to got in exactly on the Pre match day or match day. Then the rest were waitlist. But I didn’t hear of any getting in between. It may happen but I don’t know about it." So don't get discouraged if you're still waiting on a prematch and don't hear anything! Good luck guys!

I just talked to a friend of mine that is an MS1 here now and he told me: "Everyone who I have talked to got in exactly on the Pre match day or match day. Then the rest were waitlist. But I didn’t hear of any getting in between. It may happen but I don’t know about it." So don't get discouraged if you're still waiting on a prematch and don't hear anything! Good luck guys!
Are they still match heavy? Noticed that quite a few prematches went out Nov. 15th.

Are they still match heavy? Noticed that quite a few prematches went out Nov. 15th.
From what I've read here they are still super match heavy, even more so than past years. I think someone posted earlier that someone in the admissions office said they didn't even send 100 out. Don't quote me on that, thats just what I remember

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long after submitting the scholarship application we hear back? Will it be before match day?

Does anyone know when the 2018 white coat ceremony will be/or when classes will start? I know it's usually late July, but was hoping to see if anyone had exact dates.

Does anyone know when the 2018 white coat ceremony will be/or when classes will start? I know it's usually late July, but was hoping to see if anyone had exact dates.

This is from 2017, so figure it will likely be on or around the same date:

upload_2017-12-11_13-31-43.png

Assuming the weight(s) of those components in UT schools is the same as or close to those average weights. Dunno if true or not.

That's an older (2013) survey. A newer survey is floating around SDN (I don't have it on hand) which confirms the 2013 finding though...

So in choosing between a survey of med schools vs an anecdote from one professor on the admissions committee, I would give more weight to the survey...

Last edited:
Interviewed here late september OOS, haven't heard anything not even WL/Rejection. When should I be concerned they forgot about me?

Interviewed here late september OOS, haven't heard anything not even WL/Rejection. When should I be concerned they forgot about me?
I was in the same boat last year, although I interviewed late November. OOS also. Got an email right after the match saying I was on the waitlist, and then didn’t get in. Anyone who has interviewed will be put on the waitlist if they don’t match, or in our case, get accepted via rolling admission. So just hang tight and hope they reach out before the match in February, otherwise it’s the waitlist game. Either way, you’re not out of it. Best of luck! I got in on second go around, so keep at it!

Hey everyone - prematched here on 11/15 but didn’t request to join the fb c/o 2022 group till like 1.5 weeks ago. Still not in the group even though I’ve had the signature page in, etc. Anyone know how long it’ll take?

Hey everyone - prematched here on 11/15 but didn’t request to join the fb c/o 2022 group till like 1.5 weeks ago. Still not in the group even though I’ve had the signature page in, etc. Anyone know how long it’ll take?
took me around 2-3 weeks lol

When would be the next batch of pre match offers anyone? My heart just about stops beating. Also when is the last interview date? Thank you

When would be the next batch of pre match offers anyone? My heart just about stops beating. Also when is the last interview date? Thank you

From past threads, it looks like the next time McGovern offers acceptances will be on match day. That's not to say that some haven't slipped through the cracks and just never made it to SDN.

McGovern is very heavy on match. I don't think there will be another prematch batch.

anyone know when the housing application opens?
I called them and they said about the first week in January. They said to call back in January for the exact date. So I would just give them a call in a couple weeks.

I called them and they said about the first week in January. They said to call back in January for the exact date. So I would just give them a call in a couple weeks.
Thanks for doin that! The student housing sounds like such an incredible deal. Cheap, safe, closeish to campus. Does anyone happen to know how roommates work? Like if we apply for a 2-person but don't have anyone to go in with, will they match us up?

Thanks for doin that! The student housing sounds like such an incredible deal. Cheap, safe, closeish to campus. Does anyone happen to know how roommates work? Like if we apply for a 2-person but don't have anyone to go in with, will they match us up?
They won’t match you up, but on the class FB page they’ll post a roommate interest sheet and you can find someone pretty easily from there!

Has anyone received an II recently?

Has anyone received an II recently?
Looks like general staff for the UTHealth system is off until Jan 2, so I wouldn't expect anything until then. There are two (?) interview dates in Jan left I think.

Can any current med students here comment on the university housing? I called them and they said they can't give any tours of the place, and I can't really find any photos of them on their website. I'm only interested in Phase II and III. I would love any feedback on how nice they are, what the commute is like and whether you think they're worth the low price. I am aware that they are tough to get, but it would help the decision process nonetheless. Thanks!

Can any current med students here comment on the university housing? I called them and they said they can't give any tours of the place, and I can't really find any photos of them on their website. I'm only interested in Phase II and III. I would love any feedback on how nice they are, what the commute is like and whether you think they're worth the low price. I am aware that they are tough to get, but it would help the decision process nonetheless. Thanks!

Trust me, they're so worth it. You can't beat the low price and the safety, and housing is right next to the gym and shuttle stops. The drive from housing to the MSB is about 10 minutes (or less in non-trafficky times) and it's a ~20 minute shuttle ride to school. Phase III is nicer, but harder to get into than Phase II. Neither are living in luxury though, but luxury places can be $1500+ for a one bedroom near the med center.

Reactions: 1 users
Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

It's pretty late for Texas schools. I would start focusing on how to improve your app if you haven't gotten any love at this point

Trust me, they're so worth it. You can't beat the low price and the safety, and housing is right next to the gym and shuttle stops. The drive from housing to the MSB is about 10 minutes (or less in non-trafficky times) and it's a ~20 minute shuttle ride to school. Phase III is nicer, but harder to get into than Phase II. Neither are living in luxury though, but luxury places can be $1500+ for a one bedroom near the med center.
Thanks so much for the awesome response! Hoping to snag one of these.

Interviewed on November 3rd OOS. Haven't heard anything yet but this is by far my favorite school and would drop my other acceptances if offered a place at McGovern. Would a letter of intent be received well by admissions at this point?

Interviewed on November 3rd OOS. Haven't heard anything yet but this is by far my favorite school and would drop my other acceptances if offered a place at McGovern. Would a letter of intent be received well by admissions at this point?
I would say so, yes. At the end of my interview they said we were welcome to send updates or letters or intent.

Has anybody received a II today? Looked at last year's feed and they handed some out around this time.

Anyone know when the second look weekends are? Or if you have to schedule them separately?

Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying your new year so far!

Do y'all happen to know whether they record lectures at McGovern? And what of your classes are required (like PBL etc.)? I've decided I'm set on going to this school--look forward to seeing some of y'all!--and am asking so I can make daycare arrangements lol.

Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying your new year so far!

Do y'all happen to know whether they record lectures at McGovern? And what of your classes are required (like PBL etc.)? I've decided I'm set on going to this school--look forward to seeing some of y'all!--and am asking so I can make daycare arrangements lol.

Thank you!!

Anatomy 2x a week is required and clinical skill sessions in the afternoon usually once every 2 weeks. And small groups once a month I believe .