2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected yesterday pre-II

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone confirm that interviews are over? Maybe decisions will come out earlier this year?0

Finally got that R...but on the flip side I'll be seeing Black Panther in T minus 2 hours!!! so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ haha good luck y'all.

Reactions: 5 users
Got the R just now! Guess they're slowlyyyy sending out the rejection emails.

i still havent been rejected lol wtf

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually interviewed with Dr. Bardes (the associate dean of admissions) and had heard this same thing so figured id be straight up and asked him lol. He said that when/before he arrived it had been a problem that admissions was too ivy leaning but over time he's seen things change big time.

He threw some stat that like 80 different colleges were represented now at WCMC but i cant remember the exact number, you get the point

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I actually interviewed with Dr. Bardes (the associate dean of admissions) and had heard this same thing so figured id be straight up and asked him lol. He said that when he arrived it had been a problem that admissions was too ivy leaning but since he's ben there things have changed big time.

He threw some stat that like 80 different colleges were represented now at WCMC but i cant remember the exact number, you get the point

It's really cool that you had a chance to ask him! There were a lot of ivy people at my interview but also a good representation of people from less prestigious undergrads (like me) which I found really refreshing!

Reactions: 1 users
It's really cool that you had a chance to ask him! There were a lot of ivy people at my interview but also a good representation of people from less prestigious undergrads (like me) which I found really refreshing!
Ya, he honestly was super open to answering the question too which was cool. I think they're just looking for great people regardless of your undergrad institution

That's cool, Gatorz. I don't come from an Ivy, so I'm glad to know that.

Will they let us know by email if we are accepted? I know that Columbia called their accepted applicants this week.

Ya, he honestly was super open to answering the question too which was cool. I think they're just looking for great people regardless of your undergrad institution
That sounds real promising! I come from quite an obscure university myself, and was pleasantly surprised (and delighted!) to interview here. I actually applied to all seven Ivy med schools (I know!...), and Cornell was the only one to grant me an interview. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but it fits with what you're saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Cornell accept updates/letters of intent? The portal is fairly minimal and so there is no way to submit via the secondary application portal, and so I'm wondering if they do this to discourage such letters, or if they simply want them to be emailed to admissions?

Does Cornell accept updates/letters of intent? The portal is fairly minimal and so there is no way to submit via the secondary application portal, and so I'm wondering if they do this to discourage such letters, or if they simply want them to be emailed to admissions?

Email it to admissions but I would until after decisions before you submit anything.

As mentioned in their application complete email, updates should be sent to [email protected].

I don’t know when Cornell is releasing their decisions (rejected pre-II here lol). If it’s tomorrow, save the updates for later in case you get waitlisted. If it’s in a week+ time, it might be helpful to throw them a bone now.

I interviewed in Dec and the wait for decisions has been bearable until now that its so close. Although my interviews went great, I can't help but think that I'm probably going to get a rejection or yet another WL. This process really does humble the hell out of you!

I interviewed in Dec and the wait for decisions has been bearable until now that its so close. Although my interviews went great, I can't help but think that I'm probably going to get a rejection or yet another WL. This process really does humble the hell out of you!

I feel the same exact way.

I feel the same exact way.
+ 3. I just called the admissions office for us and they're so shady. "Decisions will be released sometime in March..but March is in two days" - admissions office to me

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
+ 3. I just called the admissions office for us and they're so shady. "Decisions will be released sometime in March..but March is in two days" - admissions office to me
Hahaha what does that even mean??

Same, I feel ya man. Last chance for NYC and got extremely strong ties to this school so it’ll hurt if it’s another NYC WL or R.

This is my story exactly. Last chance for a school in NYC.... I don't know what to say or do.

I think the person on the phone was trying to subtly tell you we're finding out on Thursday

hi lurker here! I just called the admissions office because i'm leaving the country for a week or so for vacation and when i asked if she knew when i could expect any kind of news back she said "it's probably going to be towards the middle of march rather than towards the beginning this year" ...hopefully that helps! :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
This wait is going to kill me, looks like it's going to be a Weill.

Reactions: 23 users
such a long wait for this school... March 15th :(

Does anyone know post-II acceptance rate/ how WL movement is here?

Does anyone know post-II acceptance rate/ how WL movement is here?

About 39% (including those who come off the waitlist), good waitlist movement. Fair number of people get rejected outright post-II, so it's a "real" waitlist.

is the portal down for anyone else?
I would hardly classify what WCMC uses as a portal. I just checked and it read "Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and Serine Minor your rejection all decisions are emailed then.

Reactions: 10 users
I would hardly classify what WCMC uses as a portal. I just checked and it read "Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and Serine Minor your rejection all decisions are emailed then.
+ 1

LOL! I wonder how they'll reject me--will it be curt and cold or will be nice warm let down with thanks for my time and efforts??? The possibilities are endless.

anyone have any idea when and how they will announce results??

anyone have any idea when and how they will announce results??

No one knows exactly when (I think it'll be this Thursday) but like 99% sure they send out all decisions via email.

No one knows exactly when (I think it'll be this Thursday) but like 99% sure they send out all decisions via email.

I also think it will be this Thursday. As a person who worked under the Weill Cornell System, Fridays are typically sloooowww.

LOL! I wonder how they'll reject me--will it be curt and cold or will be nice warm let down with thanks for my time and efforts??? The possibilities are endless.
I dunno but after copping back to back L's I'm sorta numb at this point lol. I think I'm just a sadist that wants things I can't have. At the beginning of the cycle I prayed to the lord of light for the chance to stay in CA. When that happened, I prayed to the drowned gods for the chance to leave CA. This is prob the only school (that hasn't WL/R me) that could tempt me to leave CA so we'll see. Either way GL to us all lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I dunno but after copping back to back L's I'm sorta numb at this point lol. I think I'm just a sadist that wants things I can't have. At the beginning of the cycle I prayed to the lord of light for the chance to stay in CA. When that happened, I prayed to the drowned gods for the chance to leave CA. This is prob the only school (that hasn't WL/R me) that could tempt me to leave CA so we'll see. Either way GL to us all lol.

Really, even over University of Chicago?

Does anyone know how many are outright accepted? I know the class is 106 but I was wondering how many As are dished out relative to the # of matrics.

Does anyone know how many are outright accepted? I know the class is 106 but I was wondering how many As are dished out relative to the # of matrics.

Enough to fill the class. It is 106. They do not extend more acceptances outright than seats available. There is good waitlist movement.

Enough to fill the class. It is 106. They do not extend more acceptances outright than seats available. There is good waitlist movement.
Dang, really? Just gonna prepare myself for another waitlist then.... East coast chances fading every day

Really, even over University of Chicago?
I interviewed at Feinberg not Pritzker (Pritzk hit me with a fresh rejex as I walked out of my Feinbae interview lmao. in their defense I submitted a rough draft secondary and neglected to correct it). I'd love to go there assuming I get in, but just looking at their average indebtedness makes me want to:barf:. Idk if it's because I never visited Manhattan prior to applying but theres something special about it that makes me want to throw caution to the wind and live like a peasant in a dorm. Plus, I kinda always wanted to become one of those hipsters that complain about how much better the West coast is while living in the East and vice versa.

Reactions: 6 users
Dang, really? Just gonna prepare myself for another waitlist then.... East coast chances fading every day

same. This my last real chance to stay in NYC and I am not expecting much.