2018-2019 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2018-2019) academic year, what are your plans?
  • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
  • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.
  • For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons, names are sufficient.
All prompts have 200 word limits.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Weill Cornell Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else receive a secondary email that includes a link that doesn't work?

Did anyone else receive a secondary email that includes a link that doesn't work?
Did you try the alternative URL they put in the email? That's the one I clicked on to complete the application and it worked fine.

Also... prompts are the same as last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you try the alternative URL they put in the email? That's the one I clicked on to complete the application and it worked fine.

Also... prompts are the same as last year.

Maybe try a different browser? I was on Safari.
Otherwise call/email them.

I called and it's a browser thing. I wasn't able to get it open on Google Chrome, but Safari works perfectly.

haven't gotten a secondary yet, do they screen?

Reactions: 1 user
haven't gotten a secondary yet, do they screen?
I haven't gotten the secondary yet either! Although I'm not complaining too much, I already have a hefty amount in my inbox...

That said, hopefully we're in the next wave of emails :)

+1 at 8:30pm EST for Regular MD. Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm graduating in the fall, does that mean I need to say something about not being in school for the 18-19 year, since I technically will 'not be attending college' for the second half of the school year? I'm wondering because I have no idea what I'm going to be doing after December lol

If I'm graduating in the fall, does that mean I need to say something about not being in school for the 18-19 year, since I technically will 'not be attending college' for the second half of the school year? I'm wondering because I have no idea what I'm going to be doing after December lol
I would go ahead and leave it blank. They probably won't realize you're graduating in December and saying you have no clue what you'll be doing probably won't send the best . Definitely work on getting some plans lined up though as you may get asked about that in interviews. Ideas include work, research, or travel abroad (although make sure you would be able to come back stateside for any possible spring interviews)

Submitted the secondary but my status reads "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation." Anyone else?

Submitted the secondary but my status reads "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation." Anyone else?

I saw this and then logged back on the next day and it said my app was complete. Got an email a couple hours later saying the same thing. Think they just take some time to process it.

The admissions status page is updated manually after they review your file for completion. It'll be changed in the next business day or so!

Also, incoming first-year here. I found this place super helpful when I was applying last cycle, so I'll try to do the same!

I saw this and then logged back on the next day and it said my app was complete. Got an email a couple hours later saying the same thing. Think they just take some time to process it.
The admissions status page is updated manually after they review your file for completion. It'll be changed in the next business day or so!

Also, incoming first-year here. I found this place super helpful when I was applying last cycle, so I'll try to do the same!
Thanks guys/gals, I appreciate it

I would go ahead and leave it blank. They probably won't realize you're graduating in December and saying you have no clue what you'll be doing probably won't send the best . Definitely work on getting some plans lined up though as you may get asked about that in interviews. Ideas include work, research, or travel abroad (although make sure you would be able to come back stateside for any possible spring interviews)

Haha well the problem is I said I'd be graduating early in my primary application. I think I might put down something about research anyway but I'm not even entirely sure about what I'm doing this fall either

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice on entering the writing intensive courses -- my school is a quarter system. I have two quarters of lit/creative writing WI courses, but am planning to take my humanities WIs in the upcoming school year. However, I did not list the humanities WI as future coursework on my AMCAS primary.

Is it necessary to email admissions and explain?

Any advice on entering the writing intensive courses -- my school is a quarter system. I have two quarters of lit/creative writing WI courses, but am planning to take my humanities WIs in the upcoming school year. However, I did not list the humanities WI as future coursework on my AMCAS primary.

Is it necessary to email admissions and explain?
Future courses on AMCAS don't mean anything because you can't verify them. Just put it on the secondary and leave it at that

The secondary app website isn't the greatest. I submitted the secondary but when I go to check on it the page says "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation."

The secondary app website isn't the greatest. I submitted the secondary but when I go to check on it the page says "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation."
Give it some time. They will send you an email when you are complete. Took me about 2 business days to be complete after submitting

Reactions: 1 users
Give it some time. They will send you an email when you are complete. Took me about 2 business days to be complete after submitting
+1 just got the email saying it is complete

Are we able to make paragraph breaks on the secondary? It keeps condensing my paragraphs into one big one :confused:

anyone else submit their secondary and try to log in only to see that your status says you havent submitted your secondary and they dont have your letters lol

anyone else submit their secondary and try to log in only to see that your status says you havent submitted your secondary and they dont have your letters lol

That shows up for me too :( not sure why, as I have submitted both....

Just submitted 7/13 and complete!

That shows up for me too :( not sure why, as I have submitted both....

yeah same. any change for you?

This showed up for me as well, but then was changed in the next day or so to say that both my supplemental application and LORs had been received. They seem to log completed apps manually so I just think it takes some time for them to do that.

Did anyone else get 2 complete emails? I got one on Friday and one an hour ago. The two emails are identical... I'm assuming its just a glitch or something

Did anyone else get 2 complete emails? I got one on Friday and one an hour ago. The two emails are identical... I'm assuming its just a glitch or something
Yes got the same thing

Generic question: how did everyone refer to the school in their essays? Weill Cornell, WCMC, Cornell, etc?

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is lenient on the writing requirements?

My two courses were a writing abnormal psych course (classified as a writing class by my university), and a philosophy class which is writing intensive. My worry is that I don't have an english lit class which they supposedly require because I wasn't planning on taking that GE until spring semester (but Cornell requires that prereqs are finished by Fall).

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is lenient on the writing requirements?

My two courses were a writing abnormal psych course (classified as a writing class by my university), and a philosophy class which is writing intensive. My worry is that I don't have an english lit class which they supposedly require because I wasn't planning on taking that GE until spring semester (but Cornell requires that prereqs are finished by Fall).

Call to ask?

So, for the secondary prompt "Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it", in what direction are you guys attacking this question? What do you think they are exactly looking for?

What did you guys do if course number didn't fit on the secondary app? this is for the writing requirements. For example, my course is PSYCH1140 but it limits me to PSYCH114... is that ok?

Are we able to make paragraph breaks on the secondary? It keeps condensing my paragraphs into one big one :confused:

I was not able to make paragraph breaks. Even though I included breaks in the text-entry box, when I submitted the application and viewed the "final product", the paragraph breaks were removed.

So, for the secondary prompt "Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it", in what direction are you guys attacking this question? What do you think they are exactly looking for?

Adcoms are interested to how you will respond when the going gets tough - which is something everyone experiences but is particularly salient in a field such as medicine that is not only intellectually demanding, but emotionally taxing, financially burdensome, etc.

One approach: is there an event in your life that made you question whether or not you would be able to make it through with your mental and emotional health intact? For some people, this could be the death of a friend or loved one, experiencing an illness or injury, or a period of deep intrapersonal struggle.

Another approach: have you ever been in a circumstance in which you weren't completely confident that you could accomplish what was expected of you? This could be an extremely demanding academic load, a high-pressure employment scenario, or learning a new and difficult skill.

Ideally, you would combine the above two factors into a single answer. This is because, when you are a medical student/resident, both of these types of scenarios will happen to you in combination. Personal losses are a fact of life - we are all going to lose loved ones at some point. For many people, this will be while they are in their medical training. Also, every person that undergoes medical training at some point feels like they do not have what it takes to make the cut. This is part and parcel of learning the enormous amount of information and skills required to care for sick people.

So, med schools want to know how you responded when you have been faced with these types of challenges in the past, because similar challenges will undoubtedly occur, and past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

There's not that many different directions this can go. Just pick a challenge and tell them how you overcame it (or not). Focus on aspects that can be more generalized life lessons (seeking advice, coping with stress, etc.) but give specific details as it Pertains to your example. And even though they don't ask straight up, what you learned from the experience is pretty good to include in a prompt like this as well

I believe it also doesn’t have to be a dramatic challenge dealing with death/extreme failings. I wrote about trying to bond with a child who had nothing in common with me.

For why cornell, did anyone go with the community service/outreach opportunities they have and focus less on the curriculum, research, and clinical opportunities?