2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning! Complete 10/15.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an interview today, but have already been accepted to MSUCOM (out of state) and KCU. I am originally from California, but am currently living out of state and would have to fly in for the interview.

I was wondering if anyone else is in/or has been in a similar situation and could give me any advice on Western overall. Feel from to message me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview today, but have already been accepted to MSUCOM (out of state) and KCU. I am originally from California, but am currently living out of state and would have to fly in for the interview.

I was wondering if anyone else is in/or has been in a similar situation and could give me any advice on Western overall. Feel from to message me!

I'm fairly "cheerleader-y FOR WesternU, in general, but if you got the acceptance from MSUCOM and money isn't too big of a problem for you, you might want to take that acceptance. The reason is the clinical education opportunities compared to WesternU, especially with the Arrowhead and Kaiser -Pasadena med schools being created by the time you start clerkships. Unless you are very sure you only want primary care, MSUCOM will keep the most doors open (for a high tuition price).

I'm fairly "cheerleader-y FOR WesternU, in general, but if you got the acceptance from MSUCOM and money isn't too big of a problem for you, you might want to take that acceptance. The reason is the clinical education opportunities compared to WesternU, especially with the Arrowhead and Kaiser -Pasadena med schools being created by the time you start clerkships. Unless you are very sure you only want primary care, MSUCOM will keep the most doors open (for a high tuition price).

Thank you for your insight, I will definitely be taking that into consideration. I totally forgot about the Kaiser school that is being created (damnit they are taking over California haha).
The tuition is seriously the biggest barrier for me with MSUCOM, especially after paying them OOS tuition for undergrad as well. I'm salty at how much money they will have gotten from me after 8 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! What is your date for being processed by Enrollment Data Services?

Sometime in August. I was given an interview to the Lebanon campus, interviewed, accepted, passed the deposit deadline, committed to another OOS school, and finally given an interview here lol. Good things come to those who wait I guess!

Thank you for your insight, I will definitely be taking that into consideration. I totally forgot about the Kaiser school that is being created (damnit they are taking over California haha).
The tuition is seriously the biggest barrier for me with MSUCOM, especially after paying them OOS tuition for undergrad as well. I'm salty at how much money they will have gotten from me after 8 years.

If you have any inkling that you'd want even a slightly competitive specialty, going to a school with a ton of "easy" research opportunities and good clerkship sites is probably worth it. It's the Arrowhead school that's actually going to pose the biggest threat imo. It was the most reliable site that had desirable residencies. Now that they'll have their own students to worry about, it'll probably be harder to have access to rotations or residencies there.

I don't know enough about KCU to compare it to WesternU, but they apparently have good preclinical ed, at least.

Is this the case? I don't believe those schools are accepting applicants for this cycle so those rotation spots should still be available for 2022. I believe Arrowhead is opening its doors for the next cycle. As an aside, this is quite the odd development considering how close Arrowhead and WesternU always were--and really unfortunate for our school. I wonder how they plan to cover that lost ground. But the class of 2022 should still be 'safe' from this development.

This is my 2 cents from someone who has interviewed at KCU and both Pomona and Lebanon campuses - If I could go back in time, I would not have wasted even a dollar going on my western interviews. Sorry of this offends anyone going to this school, but I truly disliked both of their campuses for several reasons:

1) I was interrogated at both interviews about whether or not I applied to MD schools. Literally the first question both campuses asked (assuming because I took my first MCAT several years ago). After I said I applied MD and DO, both of my interviewers kept asking why I would apply to both. It was not only a stupid series of questions (Why? because I want to be a doctor...), but also incredibly unprofessional given that one of my interviewers said she did not believe someone could be interested in DO if applying MD. Okay. Glad to know the rest of this interview will be objective and fair. This also really upset me because applying to medical school is both extremely expensive and time-consuming - if they don't truly believe you want to be a DO based off of your application, which gives you several opportunities to make your case.. then don't invite me out for an interview. Instead, they just hand out interviews and then question your interest in being there.

2) Location at both campuses was dreadful. Lebanon is a nearly dead town. The students literally told us the best part of living there was not having anything to do so that they study all of the time. True story. Pomona.. I got to campus about 15 minutes before it opened and there were multiple homeless people walking around and it smelled like urine. Great first impression there.

3) Both campuses were so "pro-DO" to a point of embarrassment. Student ambassadors were literally telling our group not to apply MD because DO was better. One of the OMM presentations was cracking someone's neck out of a chiropractor handbook and then bragging about how awesome DOs were.

4) Almost none of the faculty (that I met) struck me as impressive or intelligent. My interviewer at Lebanon seemed a bit unhinged - I googled her after my interview to show my SO and she has a public facebook with a bunch of legit semi-crazy posts on there. One of my interviewers at Pomona was some student who spent the entire time wiping snot from her nose instead of getting up to excuse herself.. you have no idea how distracting it is when one of your interviewers is constantly trying to hide this enormous trail of snot coming out of their nose. And these are the people judging me? Okay. I called up my SO after my Pomona interview and told him how depressed I was applying to DO because it seemed so second-rate. Both of my Western interviews were my first DO interviews and I was really down on DO at this point.

5) One of the most expensive DO schools, and for what? It's not the location. It's not the faculty. It's not the campus. It's not the extremely bogged-down curriculum. So what is it, exactly?

On the other hand, KCU was super straightforward from the beginning. Can't remember his name, but the physio professor right from the get-go told us that DO students were at a disadvantage, and their curriculum would work us twice as hard to make up for that as best they could. No "yayyyyy DO is the best" song and dance, no cringey OMM presentations where someone played chiropractor. The campus was neat and well-cared for. All of the faculty I met were sharp and intelligent, and asked me genuine/thought-provoking questions instead of "huuuurrr durrr you apply MD too?" garbage. I walked out of my KCU interview completely rejuvenated knowing that not all DO schools were like Western. MUCOM similarly impressed me, leading me to believe that Western has it's own issues and they aren't necessarily DO-related.

Sorry of this offends anyone, just trying to save others time and money that might value the same things in a school that I do. I say this as someone who has no chip on their shoulder against Western for anything other than wasting a grand on terrible interviews.

Also, not for nothing, but neither of my Western interviews knew a single thing about me upon entering the interview room.. EXCEPT that I *might* have also applied MD at some point. That was legitimately all they had cared to read about my application before coming in. Most of my application was built around what I do for a living and how that inspired me.. didn't even know where I worked or what I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This is my 2 cents from someone who has interviewed at KCU and both Pomona and Lebanon campuses - If I could go back in time, I would not have wasted even a dollar going on my western interviews. Sorry of this offends anyone going to this school, but I truly disliked both of their campuses for several reasons:

1) I was interrogated at both interviews about whether or not I applied to MD schools. Literally the first question both campuses asked (assuming because I took my first MCAT several years ago). After I said I applied MD and DO, both of my interviewers kept asking why I would apply to both. It was not only a stupid series of questions (Why? because I want to be a doctor...), but also incredibly unprofessional given that one of my interviewers said she did not believe someone could be interested in DO if applying MD. Okay. Glad to know the rest of this interview will be objective and fair. This also really upset me because applying to medical school is both extremely expensive and time-consuming - if they don't truly believe you want to be a DO based off of your application, which gives you several opportunities to make your case.. then don't invite me out for an interview. Instead, they just hand out interviews and then question your interest in being there.

2) Location at both campuses was dreadful. Lebanon is a nearly dead town. The students literally told us the best part of living there was not having anything to do so that they study all of the time. True story. Pomona.. I got to campus about 15 minutes before it opened and there were multiple homeless people walking around and it smelled like urine. Great first impression there.

3) Both campuses were so "pro-DO" to a point of embarrassment. Student ambassadors were literally telling our group not to apply MD because DO was better. One of the OMM presentations was cracking someone's neck out of a chiropractor handbook and then bragging about how awesome DOs were.

4) Almost none of the faculty (that I met) struck me as impressive or intelligent. My interviewer at Lebanon seemed a bit unhinged - I googled her after my interview to show my SO and she has a public facebook with a bunch of legit semi-crazy posts on there. One of my interviewers at Pomona was some student who spent the entire time wiping snot from her nose instead of getting up to excuse herself.. you have no idea how distracting it is when one of your interviewers is constantly trying to hide this enormous trail of snot coming out of their nose. And these are the people judging me? Okay. I called up my SO after my Pomona interview and told him how depressed I was applying to DO because it seemed so second-rate. Both of my Western interviews were my first DO interviews and I was really down on DO at this point.

5) One of the most expensive DO schools, and for what? It's not the location. It's not the faculty. It's not the campus. It's not the extremely bogged-down curriculum. So what is it, exactly?

On the other hand, KCU was super straightforward from the beginning. Can't remember his name, but the physio professor right from the get-go told us that DO students were at a disadvantage, and their curriculum would work us twice as hard to make up for that as best they could. No "yayyyyy DO is the best" song and dance, no cringey OMM presentations where someone played chiropractor. The campus was neat and well-cared for. All of the faculty I met were sharp and intelligent, and asked me genuine/thought-provoking questions instead of "huuuurrr durrr you apply MD too?" garbage. I walked out of my KCU interview completely rejuvenated knowing that not all DO schools were like Western. MUCOM similarly impressed me, leading me to believe that Western has it's own issues and they aren't necessarily DO-related.

Sorry of this offends anyone, just trying to save others time and money that might value the same things in a school that I do. I say this as someone who has no chip on their shoulder against Western for anything other than wasting a grand on terrible interviews.

Also, not for nothing, but neither of my Western interviews knew a single thing about me upon entering the interview room.. EXCEPT that I *might* have also applied MD at some point. That was legitimately all they had cared to read about my application before coming in. Most of my application was built around what I do for a living and how that inspired me.. didn't even know where I worked or what I did.

I didn't get any of those vibes at all when I interviewed here. This is the first time I'm hearing of that as well. I've talked to many current students there and never once did they mention anything like that (the school/faculty being very pro DO, anti MD, etc.). And, for the record, I LOVED KCU and had a very difficult time choosing between there, DMU, and Western Pomona so I really did my research. All I'm saying is n=1. Your experience may have been an anomaly. I want future interviewees to not feel discouraged from attending the interview b/c my experience was nothing like that above.

I didn't get any of those vibes at all when I interviewed here. This is the first time I'm hearing of that as well. I've talked to many current students there and never once did they mention anything like that (the school/faculty being very pro DO, anti MD, etc.). And, for the record, I LOVED KCU and had a very difficult time choosing between there, DMU, and Western Pomona so I really did my research. All I'm saying is n=1. Your experience may have been an anomaly. I want future interviewees to not feel discouraged from attending the interview b/c my experience was nothing like that above.

Yeah, like I mentioned, I'm primarily posting what I posted for people who might value the same things that I do - location, value for what you're getting vs. price, etc. Worth mentioning, though, that a lot of things I posted weren't necessarily 'vibes', but real, tangible characteristics or events pertaining to Western.

Location - there is no denying that Lebanon is a rural-ish town with little to do. Pomona is also located in a seedy part of California that is rampant with crime and homelessness. "Dreadful" is certainly my subjective take on it, but it's good to know what these places are like before interviewing there.

MD vs DO drama - Students really did tell us not to apply MD because DO was better (literal phrasing). Both of my interviewers did grill me on applying MD. These are not exactly things I imagined in my head, but rather the foot Western led off on for both of my interviews. Many other students have commented on similar scenarios. So, not really my "vibe", but more so the environment that Western seems to foster. MD and DO should be a profession of collaboration, and saying DOs are better while looking down on someone applying for MD is about the worst way to go about fostering that.

Cost - again, expensive with nothing to really explain it other than they can get away with charging whatever they'd like.

Ultimately, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone attending Western, it's a school that will get you where you need to go, and is probably a good choice for certain people (those wanting residencies on the west coast, for example). All schools have their negatives, and these just happened to be the ones that turned me away from Western.

Members don't see this ad :)

I second this! I interviewed at both Western campuses and my experience was positive. I am sorry that the poster above had such a bad experience, but I also do not believe this is the norm (based on my experience, and from what I heard from other people that interviewed with me). In Pomona they did ask to how many schools I applied, and I told them that I applied to both MD and DO. I then explained that I chose the schools I applied to based on the characteristics of the school rather than based on what 2 letters would be after my name. They liked my answer and we moved on. Also the HVLA treatment that they demonstrated at Pomona is one of the OMM treatments they teach at all DO schools. I interviewed at 4 schools and every single one of them had OMM demo, so what is so odd that they show one of the manipulations that they teach? If an applicant is this against OMM then they should not be applying to DO schools. Also, neither my interviewers not the student ambassadors ever said that DOs are better than MDs. However, they did passionately explain why they love Western.

I definitely do not doubt that what a poster above described above really happened, but I really do not think that it is what most people there experience.

I second this! I interviewed at both Western campuses and my experience was positive. I am sorry that the poster above had such a bad experience, but I also do not believe this is the norm (based on my experience, and from what I heard from other people that interviewed with me). In Pomona they did ask to how many schools I applied, and I told them that I applied to both MD and DO. I then explained that I chose the schools I applied to based on the characteristics of the school rather than based on what 2 letters would be after my name. They liked my answer and we moved on. Also the HVLA treatment that they demonstrated at Pomona is one of the OMM treatments they teach at all DO schools. I interviewed at 4 schools and every single one of them had OMM demo, so what is so odd that they show one of the manipulations that they teach? If an applicant is this against OMM then they should not be applying to DO schools. Also, neither my interviewers not the student ambassadors ever said that DOs are better than MDs. However, they did passionately explain why they love Western.

I definitely do not doubt that what a poster above described above really happened, but I really do not think that it is what most people there experience.
I second this as well!

I walk past all the interview rooms and for 80% of the ones I see, I go "damn that's a lucky interviewee" because they got the sweet or cool professor. And a few SEEM mean, but if you get past the looks/vibe, they're actually chill. Asking the DO/MD thing is kinda ****ty. It is a tactical error to react with any emotion. You have the option to lie or to say "I haven't actually been through either type of medical program so I can't say I know 100% if I fit better with one or the other".

My classmates know who I am immediately when they go on here and see what I type. They voted me Dr. Evil during MedProm for a reason. I'll still say what I want to say. Some of my classmates are fluffy unicorn farts and avatars of Lord AT Still. They're alright because they are open with resources and other good stuff. Their naivete and Kool-Aid drinking does not detract that these mofos perform well in class. But there are others of us who are ultra-realistic. Starting hardcore lecture study groups to free up time so we can actually be a hardcore Step 1 study group before dedicated. A decent amount of the class accepts that since PhDs who have not taken Step 1 probably can't prepare us for it, we will have to do a lot of independent study. We know that Step 1 is the great equalizer and is easier for PDs to interpret than DO class rank. They can also get a sense of how the rank does not correlate to Step 1 score. We even had a class where they showed us that recently, this is the case.

A lot of the class doesn't even like OMM AT ALL (lul). I'm probably in the middle, but I probably use it more than most of the class because a pregnant wife develops lots of somatic dysfunction.

In short, you should generally take acceptances from MSUCOM, CCOM, DMU, RVU, and a few others if you want the most options available AND do not prioritize these:
CA location
Specific nearby residency opportunities that traditionally take WesternU students
Family being really close by
More flexibility with mandatory classes (I usually go to class less than 3 times a week)

Accepted here today by the most gushing and sweetest phone call from the vice dean, but I will be withdrawing. Hope the spot goes to one of you guys :). I interviewed 11/30 and have a LizzyM of ~69-70

In regards to recent discussion, I too was inquired about my MD/DO apps and whether I had any acceptances. However, the interviewer was rather polite about it and did not press or grill me. I just answered honestly. From what I can tell after talking to my fellow interviewees, they super standardize their interviews, and I think this year each interviewer was instructed to ask this question.

Reactions: 2 users
Any current students or applicants can give me their 2 cents on if they had to decide between WesternU and AZCOM, would they choose WesternU over AZCOM and why? Thanks!

Accepted here today by the most gushing and sweetest phone call from the vice dean, but I will be withdrawing. Hope the spot goes to one of you guys :). I interviewed 11/30 and have a LizzyM of ~69-70

In regards to recent discussion, I too was inquired about my MD/DO apps and whether I had any acceptances. However, the interviewer was rather polite about it and did not press or grill me. I just answered honestly. From what I can tell after talking to my fellow interviewees, they super standardize their interviews, and I think this year each interviewer was instructed to ask this question.

+1
Accepted via phone call today, interviewed 11/30!

I was also asked about applying MD/DO but it felt more like a survey question at the beginning of the interview. No follow up questions about it after I answered honestly. The rest of my interview did not touch on MD vs DO at all, although I did talk about why I wanted to attend Western specifically.

Also I had an MD physician letter, if that makes any difference.

Just got a call that I was accepted! Interviewed 12/7.

In regards to recent discussion, I was asked about applying to MD/DO and where I was accepted. I answered honestly about my acceptances and why I applied to both ( that I really just wanted to practice medicine and saw both as equal opportunities) and it seems to have worked! Now for some tough decisions ahead...

Are Portals updated? also do they usually call everyone?

I don't know where people are seeing portals updated, but the Application Status page didn't update for me yet, despite getting a call. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong webpage. From what I've read, it looks like most people are getting calls.

I don't know where people are seeing portals updated, but the Application Status page didn't update for me yet, despite getting a call. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong webpage. From what I've read, it looks like most people are getting calls.

It can be either way. When I was accepted to Pomona I first saw the portal update and received a call in a few days, and when I was accepted to Lebanon they called me first and my portal updated only after about 4 days. Congrats on the acceptance! Your portal will update eventually!

Accepted as well, interviewed 12/7. Was asked MD/DO question and capitalized on location for why I want to go to Western. I mean, being a SoCal Native, it makes sense. Now to decide between this a RVU...

Btw, were you in the green group?

accepted. Interviewed on 11/30. Was asked about the DO/MD question too but I feel like it's more for like survey and stuffs.

Has anyone had luck getting a hold of admissions office? I went to pay my deposit a day before the deadline and they said the deadline had passed. I have called and emailed to place the deposit and I have not been able to hear back. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Gave up my seat last week. I hope it goes to one of you!

Can any current students comment on housing at Daumier? Thanks!!

I paid the deposits to Western U. But, pending on the two UC's decisions. AZCOM is a good school but I still declined and withdrew after getting acceptance from Western (my 3rd choice).
1. 25 miles from home
2. S Cal weather is much better than Glendale, AZ with 3+ months of hot days
3. My school friend (at least one) is going to Western.
4. Good rotation sites and residencies in S Cal.

Hi everyone, I still have not heard from Western. For those of you who got interviews, when were you complete? Also, does Western accept official transcript updates sent to them?

Hi everyone, I still have not heard from Western. For those of you who got interviews, when were you complete? Also, does Western accept official transcript updates sent to them?
Submitted secondary on 8/09/2017. Interviewed on 10/05/2017. Acceptance call after 3 weeks. I think they should accept transcript update.

No word from them since submitted 9/21....PLEASE LOVE ME :( :( :( :( :(

I submitted my secondary in August, got the II last week, interview date is Jan 18th, next available was Feb 1. Didnt look past that, but dont freak out, II's are still coming.

Reactions: 2 users
If I am sending an update letter/letter of intent, does anyone know if its recommended to upload it via the application page or to send it into one of their recruiters?

Anyone else interviewing on Jan 18th?

Anybody familiar with how long it takes to get information on your student login/email after you pay your initial deposit? Or do you have to make the 2nd deposit before they send this information?

Anybody familiar with how long it takes to get information on your student login/email after you pay your initial deposit? Or do you have to make the 2nd deposit before they send this information?
+1. Still haven't received this info either! Paid my 1st deposit but not yet my 2nd.

Wondering the same thing! I haven’t gotten that information yet, only put the 1st deposit down so far

Did anyone figure anything out about accepted students facebook group? :)