2018-2019 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning! Is anyone interviewing 10/25? Also, if you are interviewing then and interested in splitting a hotel room, PM me

Members don't see this ad.

Current students: do you feel the political/religious views of the school are affecting your medical education in any way? Feel free to PM (a very honest) answer. Thanks!!

Current students: do you feel the political/religious views of the school are affecting your medical education in any way? Feel free to PM (a very honest) answer. Thanks!!

No. It's your choice to be involved in the politics and/or religious events. I don't think the educational quality is altered negatively by the parent institution's viewpoints.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@NickMT-RN Would you be able to comment on student life here? What do students do when they have spare time and the such? I know there is a no alcohol policy, which doesn't really concern me much at all, but I am wondering what other things students do if not go to bars or grab a drink after class occasionally.

@NickMT-RN Would you be able to comment on student life here? What do students do when they have spare time and the such? I know there is a no alcohol policy, which doesn't really concern me much at all, but I am wondering what other things students do if not go to bars or grab a drink after class occasionally.
Not that person, but from what I've heard, you're not totally banned from alcohol. You probably can go get a drink occasionally, just don't get black-out drunk wearing a LUCOM shirt.

I'm not the best person to ask that, pretty introverted 98% of the time.

I know alot of my classmates hangout and do regular college stuff. Lots of hiking, going to LU games, video games, ping pong seems big for some reason, ect ect.

Attended LU for undergrad. If you live off campus no one micro manages you’re life. No RA’s to report you. It is what you make of it. The rules aren’t really as strict as people think. I will say that it’s a dry campus.

Anyone hear anything from admissions recently?

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything recently?
I interviewed October 5th here, I absolutely loved it, this school is easily my top choice so I'm praying I get in! Dr. Patton said it could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks before we get a response so sit tight!

I interviewed October 5th here, I absolutely loved it, this school is easily my top choice so I'm praying I get in! Dr. Patton said it could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks before we get a response so sit tight!
Thanks for your reply! Time to play the waiting game then. So nerve racking.

So on my portal, it says I’m not complete. But all of my boxes are checked. I’ve tried calling admissions multiple times and left messages but no one has called back. Safe to say I’m just rejected post secondary?

Hi guys, so I just got an II and I'm scheduled for 12/6. Is this super late into the interview process?

Hi guys, so I just got an II and I'm scheduled for 12/6. Is this super late into the interview process?
Interview process goes up to March for many schools. And even further for a handful of others. 12/6 is probably on the early half imo

Members don't see this ad :)
You are totally fine. Don't even worry. Just wow them on interview day and you won't have to worry either way, right? ;) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone reached out to the school inquiring about delayed notifications post-II? Asking for a friend who interviewed here over a month ago and loved it but has yet to have heard back!

Not that person, but from what I've heard, you're not totally banned from alcohol. You probably can go get a drink occasionally, just don't get black-out drunk wearing a LUCOM shirt.
We are 100% banned from alcohol. However, way too many people do not follow the rule. When you sign the paper with that rule, it’s up to you how seriously you take the paper you signed. If you don’t drink: Then you are honoring your word and you can’t get in any trouble because you are following the rule. (Since we all live off campus and have no RA’s, they have no way of widespread enforcing the rule, however it is still a rule)

We are 100% banned from alcohol. However, way too many people do not follow the rule. When you sign the paper with that rule, it’s up to you how seriously you take the paper you signed. If you don’t drink: Then you are honoring your word and you can’t get in any trouble because you are following the rule. (Since we all live off campus and have no RA’s, they have no way of widespread enforcing the rule, however it is still a rule)
At my interview, one of them basically said what I said. That you can sign it but you don't have to adhere to it...yet you should still be mindful because you are representing LU when you go out publicly.

And then another person said you may have to adhere to a new lifestyle, which suggests that the rule is enforced.

So on that same day, I heard two different stances from their faculty. I personally don't drink so it doesn't apply to me, but I would probably assume it's not a serious concern

I only interviewed at LUCOM (not a student yet, hopefully will be!) but I had the opportunity to ask a ton of questions to the current students regarding life outside the classroom. Lots of students (and faculty) fish, hike, hunt, bike, and generally enjoy the beautiful outdoors (it truly is beautiful, I come from a massive city, one of the largest in the US, and wish we had the forestry Lynchburg has). I guarantee you'd find a sport you love or a path to hike or run on. Everyone there, from my Lyft drivers to locals I met while flying in were so friendly I have no doubt in my mind you'll find something to do! Of course the atmosphere of the university is primarily why it is my top choice, you'll definitely know and be friends with a ton of your fellow MS-1-4s. On top of that we get access to LU football games which is awesome since I'm a huge football guy (even if you're not into football, the atmosphere of going to live games is one of a kind).

Anyone hear from LUCOM today? Still waiting?

II 3 am this morning! Interview on November 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Currently a 3rd year, let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer as honestly as possible without getting into any trouble lol. I've had a lot of hard times at this school in terms of being away from family and moving across the country. I would honestly suggest going to medical school where you can have easy access to your family. The communication of lucom is sometimes very lacking, so that is the only part where I have a huge problem with this school. Sometimes, they keep things to themselves or assume they have sent you emails that they haven't and expect you to have done what was in the email. It's all very interesting!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'm also a 3rd year as well rotating in Norfolk at one of the many options that students have the opportunity to rotate at during clinicals. If anyone is interested, LUCOM will also be having an Open House on November 17 if you would like to know more about the school!

Hey guys! Currently a 3rd year, let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer as honestly as possible without getting into any trouble lol. I've had a lot of hard times at this school in terms of being away from family and moving across the country. I would honestly suggest going to medical school where you can have easy access to your family. The communication of lucom is sometimes very lacking, so that is the only part where I have a huge problem with this school. Sometimes, they keep things to themselves or assume they have sent you emails that they haven't and expect you to have done what was in the email. It's all very interesting!

Thank you for offering to answer questions!

I just had a quick question regarding how much time is spent attending lectures/labs per week and if lectures are all mandatory or not.

I was trying to find out more information about questions they ask in the interview and any tips to prepare for the interview process. Any ideas? also are there any faith related questions or political questions that might be asked? thanks a ton!

At my interview, one of them basically said what I said. That you can sign it but you don't have to adhere to it...yet you should still be mindful because you are representing LU when you go out publicly.

And then another person said you may have to adhere to a new lifestyle, which suggests that the rule is enforced.

So on that same day, I heard two different stances from their faculty. I personally don't drink so it doesn't apply to me, but I would probably assume it's not a serious concern
Do they care if you have drank in the past, or if you would drink on campus?

I was trying to find out more information about questions they ask in the interview and any tips to prepare for the interview process. Any ideas? also are there any faith related questions or political questions that might be asked? thanks a ton!
At least in my experience, it was a pretty casual conversation. They asked me about some discrepancies in my application (to be expected) but the rest of the time, we just talked about why I wanted to attend LUCOM and stuff like that. I didn't have any directly faith related questions, just ones that assessed whether or not I would be comfortable in a faith-based school. Nothing political at all.

Just got off the phone with the associate dean of admissions I think he called himself. Pretty much said those of us who haven't heard back yet from a month ago likely are waiting for the adcom to decide waitlist vs reject. Said they haven't forgotten about us, but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:
At least in my experience, it was a pretty casual conversation. They asked me about some discrepancies in my application (to be expected) but the rest of the time, we just talked about why I wanted to attend LUCOM and stuff like that. I didn't have any directly faith related questions, just ones that assessed whether or not I would be comfortable in a faith-based school. Nothing political at all.
What do you mean by discrepancies? and what were the questions if you don't mind sharing? Also is there anywhere we can review our secondary app? i just want to see what questions were on there

I just had a quick question regarding how much time is spent attending lectures/labs per week and if lectures are all mandatory or not.

This is how it was when I was a 1st year student. So you have a choice to attend lectures but there are a couple of lectures that are mandatory per week. Anatomy lab and omm labs (total of 4 hours between the 2) are mandatory and even if they are not you should go because your teammates will hate you if you don't, plus, these labs are actually pretty helpful so definitely go. Anatomy lab is only there during 1st year so they do it a couple of times/week.

For second year students: only OMM lab, PCM lecture, HMJ lecture, and PCM lab are mandatory. OMM lab is 2 hours every Monday. PCM (clinical skills) is 1 hour lecture and 2 hours lab per week on Tuesday, HMJ (humanities and law stuff) meets 2 hours each month. You have anatomy lab 4 times throughout second year for quiz-like practicals but the lab session prior to the quiz is optional and you do no dissecting. First year: exam every two-weeks. Second year fall semester: you have an exam every 1-2 weeks (more exams second year with less lab). Team-based-learning-activities are mandatory (you have one like every few weeks 1st year and so far in second year we have had 2 total, it honestly depends on the class). But we have many students who only attend mandatory lectures and we have many students (such as myself) who attend the majority of classes.

What do you mean by discrepancies? and what were the questions if you don't mind sharing? Also is there anywhere we can review our secondary app? i just want to see what questions were on there
By discrepancy, I mean that I had a super **** undergrad and grad GPA, but had amazing MCAT scores. So they obviously asked about that. I really don't remember most of the questions, TBH. Like I said, it was really just more of a conversation. Why you want to go to LUCOM or why you'd be a good fit, etc. Just your typical interview questions.

As for reviewing your secondary, you can do that through AACOMAS. There should be a link to each individual school's secondary that you've already submitted.

Just got off the phone with the associate dean of admissions I think he called himself. Pretty much said those of us who haven't heard back yet from a month ago likely are waiting for the adcom to decide waitlist vs reject. Said they haven't forgotten about us, but don't get your hopes up.
wow seriously? did he say when to expect hearing back then

wow seriously? did he say when to expect hearing back then
He did not. He just said they're waiting for everyone on the committee to decide.

Update: called again, basically told that the dean has not made a decision and no answer still. Been 5 weeks since interview. Still in limbo. Also, no time frame given when asked, he said he doesn't really have an answer unfortunately. He was pretty nice about things.

Last edited:
Hi, I was just given an acceptance to this school. Interviewed end of September, and was given a phone call roughly 10 days later. Interviewed at two other DO schools recently, this school set the bar very high.

Hi, I was just given an acceptance to this school. Interviewed end of September, and was given a phone call roughly 10 days later. Interviewed at two other DO schools recently, this school set the bar very high.
So you got your acceptance like super recently (last few days ago) or like early-mid October?
Sorry. Just trying to figure out their response time post interview.

He did not. He just said they're waiting for everyone on the committee to decide.

Update: called again, basically told that the dean has not made a decision and no answer still. Been 5 weeks since interview. Still in limbo. Also, no time frame given when asked.
Doing great work. Thanks for the updates!