2018-2019 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone withdrew from the 1/11 interview and the school emailed at 9:30 am yesterday asking if anyone wanted to change their later date to the slot. I didn’t bother replying, I’m happy with my 1/26 interview date because it is on a Saturday.
It does make me wonder though...it has to be an oos person who withdrew right? I can’t inagine an IS person doing that. Maybe an OOS student received an admission from their preferred school and said no thanks to UA? It makes me wonder if many of the OOS applicants with high stats who have no ties to AZ AND who are getting invites really care about this state and our population?
If I was on an admissions committee I wouldn’t just be thinking about the OOS revenue but if the OOS candidate will actually stay here after medical school.
I believe that 50% IS/OOS class ratio is too low. I’d like UACOM to be more like UW where we give preference to IS and WICHE applicants.

I love your analysis. I got the same email and Just like you i was content with the 1/26 interview date. See you in Tucson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Someone withdrew from the 1/11 interview and the school emailed at 9:30 am yesterday asking if anyone wanted to change their later date to the slot. I didn’t bother replying, I’m happy with my 1/26 interview date because it is on a Saturday.
It does make me wonder though...it has to be an oos person who withdrew right? I can’t inagine an IS person doing that. Maybe an OOS student received an admission from their preferred school and said no thanks to UA? It makes me wonder if many of the OOS applicants with high stats who have no ties to AZ AND who are getting invites really care about this state and our population?
If I was on an admissions committee I wouldn’t just be thinking about the OOS revenue but if the OOS candidate will actually stay here after medical school.
I believe that 50% IS/OOS class ratio is too low. I’d like UACOM to be more like UW where we give preference to IS and WICHE applicants.

People cancel interviews for several reasons. Let's not assume it was an OOS applicant. An IS applicant could have withdrawn bc of Phoenix or Mayo or some other personal reason, or that person may need a later date.

How would you know how much each individual applicant you don't know anything about care about Arizona?

Staying in Arizona after medical school is largely determined by residency placements even if you rank a program in Az high. It happens all over the country.

IS/OS is actually 74/26 not 50/50. Good luck on the 26th

Reactions: 4 users
Looks like more interviews were sent out today. *panic mode on.*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received any news. Anybody receive a new interview invite?

People cancel interviews for several reasons. Let's not assume it was an OOS applicant. An IS applicant could have withdrawn bc of Phoenix or Mayo or some other personal reason, or that person may need a later date.

How would you know how much each individual applicant you don't know anything about care about Arizona?

Staying in Arizona after medical school is largely determined by residency placements even if you rank a program in Az high. It happens all over the country.

IS/OS is actually 74/26 not 50/50. Good luck on the 26th

Lots of OOS people upthread said they randomly applied. I would guess that means they didn't put much thought into why they picked AZ. It's ok, I get it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. My guess is its more likely to be OOS than IS that withdrew from the II.
Good luck to you as well.

I love your analysis. I got the same email and Just like you i was content with the 1/26 interview date. See you in Tucson

Awesome!! Best of luck to you!! Send me a PM if you want to chat!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed on Nov 17th. Anyone have any idea when we will hear back?
I got an email early December saying my app was under review and then another email saying I wasn’t in a wave of acceptances but I’m still in the pool for acceptances. Other than that I thought they said between January and March at interview day

[Quote removed by moderator, per poster request]

Congratulations on being accepted!
Can you say how you prepared for the MMI? And what was your impression of this day?
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Non-binding so don't worry!

Congratulations! When was your interview date?

Congratulations on being accepted!
Can you say how you prepared for the MMI? And what was your impression of this day?
Thank you!

Sorry to bother you, did someone post about getting accepted here recently? The original post has been removed. I’m currently waiting on a decision from an interview over a month ago and have haven’t heard anything since then. Getting a little nervous because this is my top choice program! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To my "Pre-II Hold" amigos... Are y'all getting emails to re-inform you that you are still being considered, or did you just get the initial "waitlist" email and then silence?

The good news about trying to get into medical school is that I no longer fear purgatory. At worst, it's probably just about the same as this.

To my "Pre-II Hold" amigos... Are y'all getting emails to re-inform you that you are still being considered, or did you just get the initial "waitlist" email and then silence?

The good news about trying to get into medical school is that I no longer fear purgatory. At worst, it's probably just about the same as this.
I haven’t received any other email besides the initial ii waitlist. I just checked the admissions tracker and it looks like new ii were sent out. I hate myself for applying so late :(

Sorry to bother you, did someone post about getting accepted here recently? The original post has been removed. I’m currently waiting on a decision from an interview over a month ago and have haven’t heard anything since then. Getting a little nervous because this is my top choice program! Thanks :)
This is weird… why would someone ask for his post to removed. Anyway, yes this person did ask about how binding it is for someone to accept the school invitation before April 10, or something like that. He was still waiting for his top choice school to contact him post-Il.
Hang in there brother, my interview is 1/26 so soon enough we will be on the same boat :)

This is weird… why would someone ask for his post to removed. Anyway, yes this person did ask about how binding it is for someone to accept the school invitation before April 10, or something like that. He was still waiting for his top choice school to contact him post-Il.
Hang in there brother, my interview is 1/26 so soon enough we will be on the same boat :)

Thanks for the reply, I’m glad to know people are hearing positive news from UA, and I hope I do too! It looks like the tracker was updated again today with about 15 more II’s going out. Good luck to you with your interview, you’re gonna kill it! Let me know how it goes!

I haven’t received any other email besides the initial ii waitlist. I just checked the admissions tracker and it looks like new ii were sent out. I hate myself for applying so late :(
me too! when did you apply?

I just received an interview invite for the PMAP Program. I’m an instate URM applicant.

Last edited:
So I was looking up more information about the PMAP Program and online it says "Continue with the MD application process as normal. You will be considered for the MD program until we finalize all admissions decisions, or until all interview seats have been offered." I wonder if that means all the MD interview seats have already been offered for this cycle.

So I was looking up more information about the PMAP Program and online it says "Continue with the MD application process as normal. You will be considered for the MD program until we finalize all admissions decisions, or until all interview seats have been offered." I wonder if that means all the MD interview seats have already been offered for this cycle.

I doubt they have, previously they’ve offered in the 500s and according to their tracker that still leaves a little bit of room

Just received my first “we sent out a round of acceptances today, you haven’t been selected yet but are still being considered” email this morning. Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance today! Wishing you guys all the best :)

Just received my first “we sent out a round of acceptances today, you haven’t been selected yet but are still being considered” email this morning. Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance today! Wishing you guys all the best :)

I got the same email just now.

To anyone that got accepted today, congrats! What day did you interview?

I got the same email just now.

To anyone that got accepted today, congrats! What day did you interview?
I got that email too. I interviewed on 12/8/18 and I have a hunch the round of acceptances were probably for an earlier interview date. I could be wrong though.

I got that email too. I interviewed on 12/8/18 and I have a hunch the round of acceptances were probably for an earlier interview date. I could be wrong though.
Yeah well I interviewed on 11/17/2018. I wonder if people that interviewed then got in.

I just received that email for a fourth time, interviewed 9/14 lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those that have interviewed, how long is the interview day?

It goes until mid afternoon. After the MMI, they give like 2 presentations, a tour, then feed you lunch. If I recall correctly, it goes until 2-3 pm.

For those that interviewed, did you go to the pre reception event? If so, how was it ?

MS3 here. Happy to answer any questions about the school and my experience during preclinical / step prep / on rotation.

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? Specifically for IS vs. OOS?

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? Specifically for IS vs. OOS?

Do you have a subscription to the AAMC MSAR? I think they have the data for specific schools which would allow you to calculate this. Outside of that, I don't think schools publish this data on their websites.

Do you have a subscription to the AAMC MSAR? I think they have the data for specific schools which would allow you to calculate this. Outside of that, I don't think schools publish this data on their websites.
I don't think it shows acceptances, though. Only matriculants.

MS3 here. Happy to answer any questions about the school and my experience during preclinical / step prep / on rotation.
Already interviewed here and I had a great experience interacting with 1st and 2nd year students. Sounds like the school does pretty well helping you prep for step and ensuring you do well academically.

My question for you is the quality of the clinical rotations.
Basically how are they?
The good, the bad and anything in between. If you need to DM me, I understand.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

First year here, involved somewhat during interview day (nothing to do with y’alls applications though). If you’re in the first group you’re free to go after lunch ends at 1. Second group will be on a tour after lunch which lasts until about 1:40-2:00 usually. Afterwards, they’re ready to go as well!

For those that interviewed, did you go to the pre reception event? If so, how was it ?
I actually interviewed here twice and got in the second time. Went to the pizza reception both times and felt it really gave me a great sense of the community of students. There’s also the added benefit of seeing some cool stuff like the sim lab (even though the new sim lab will be up and running by the time this cycle is over supposedly) or anatomy lab. All in all, it’s a fun time to de-stress, hang out with your fellow applicants and also some current students, and enjoy some pizza.

Has anyone who was put on the interview waitlist, received an interview lately? They've been sending out quite a few these past couple of days.

I also got off the phone with admissions and they said that they are also sending out rejections. So we're not completely in the dark...

Has anyone who was put on the interview waitlist, received an interview lately? They've been sending out quite a few these past couple of days.

I also got off the phone with admissions and they said that they are also sending out rejections. So we're not completely in the dark...
No, I haven't received any additional communication aside from the first Interview Waitlist email.

No email since waitlist for interview as well

Just got an email stating my admissions file is under review by the admissions committee.

Application complete: 8/2/18
Pre-Interview Invite Hold: 10/5/18
Interview Invite: 1/9/19
Declined Interview and withdrew application: 1/14/19

OOS, Withdrew my application and gave away my interview spot. Good luck to all of you I hope one of you brilliant minds gets it!

Last edited:
Was offered a scholarship this week! Just FYI if anyone else was wondering when they start those.