2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an II on Halloween. OOS, LM 77. However, I withdrew my application today. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you! Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot, well it’s 9 PM and today was not my day. Maybe tomorrow! Best of luck!
Me either. But I did get a nice heart attack because I went there for grad school and they sent out an alumni newsletter late last night.

Me either. But I did get a nice heart attack because I went there for grad school and they sent out an alumni newsletter late last night.
Me literally every time the president, Jakob Tolar, or CLA sends me an email. I feel you.

Me literally every time the president, Jakob Tolar, or CLA sends me an email. I feel you.
Are you waiting for post-ii news or for an II? they call with good news post interview

Are you waiting for post-ii news or for an II? they call with good news post interview
II news! I'm sitting in a lecture taught by one of the adcoms atm, and I razz him about IIs every few weeks.

II news! I'm sitting in a lecture taught by one of the adcoms atm, and I razz him about IIs every few weeks.

Well that is a good connection to have!! Are there many adcoms? always feels like a black box on the other side. Are you a student Minnesota? Recently was accepted and likely to attend!

Well that is a good connection to have!! Are there many adcoms? always feels like a black box on the other side. Are you a student Minnesota? Recently was accepted and likely to attend!
I have no idea how many adcoms there are, honestly. We just joke back and forth about it.

My SO since high school came to the U and I followed her here after community college, and I feel the U was an excellent choice for our undergrad. Minneapolis is a wonderful culture bomb with some of the best food and music I've heard. I call it the smaller, cleaner Chicago. My SO just got an job in St. Paul so we're really pushing for the A here. I'm excited to hear you like the school, though! Feel free to PM me any questions you might have about the area or the school. I'd be more than happy to answer anything you're interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea how many adcoms there are, honestly. We just joke back and forth about it.

My SO since high school came to the U and I followed her here after community college, and I feel the U was an excellent choice for our undergrad. Minneapolis is a wonderful culture bomb with some of the best food and music I've heard. I call it the smaller, cleaner Chicago. My SO just got an job in St. Paul so we're really pushing for the A here. I'm excited to hear you like the school, though! Feel free to PM me any questions you might have about the area or the school. I'd be more than happy to answer anything you're interested in.

So happy to hear you like it! and praying for you. Would be great to stay in the same area as your SO. Is there a fun college vibe, bars, restaurants etc? I literally had to leave right after the interview for the flight and got in really late (1am) the night before the interview -- so 0 opportunity to explore

Reactions: 1 user
So happy to hear you like it! and praying for you. Would be great to stay in the same area as your SO. Is there a fun college vibe, bars, restaurants etc? I literally had to leave right after the interview for the flight and got in really late (1am) the night before the interview -- so 0 opportunity to explore
Yeah, because it's a Land-Grant
BIG 10 University, it 100% has the college vibe. There's one bar just a block off campus, and that's usually packed with students on Thuradays and game days. If you're looking for a more sophisticated buzz, Surly Brewery is about 5 minutes away from Moos Tower (where I assume you interviewed?). During fall football game nights, campus is well-populated until pretty late at night.

What really sells Minneapolis for me is the Light Rail train system that I'm sure you used/saw. It can take you from campus to the Mall of America, US Bank Stadium (Vikings stadium), downtown Minneapolis Target Field (Twins field), downtown St. Paul, and to the state Capitol. It makes getting around super cheap and convenient. Also, because of the proximity of the two cities, there are way too many hospitals all within 15 minutes of each other, which is good if you're looking for weekend shadow opportunities.

A lot of the U's campus is connected by tunnels. I dont know how much it matters for medical students, but you can get to most buildings during the deep-frozen winters entirely underground. This includes the U's hospital, so no need to drive from the medical school to the hospital. They're attached underground and by skyway. Could also be convenient if you're doing research in an adjacent building; leave the coat in a locker or break room.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, because it's a Land-Grant
BIG 10 University, it 100% has the college vibe. There's one bar just a block off campus, and that's usually packed with students on Thuradays and game days. If you're looking for a more sophisticated buzz, Surly Brewery is about 5 minutes away from Moos Tower (where I assume you interviewed?). During fall football game nights, campus is well-populated until pretty late at night.

What really sells Minneapolis for me is the Light Rail train system that I'm sure you used/saw. It can take you from campus to the Mall of America, US Bank Stadium (Vikings stadium), downtown Minneapolis Target Field (Twins field), downtown St. Paul, and to the state Capitol. It makes getting around super cheap and convenient. Also, because of the proximity of the two cities, there are way too many hospitals all within 15 minutes of each other, which is good if you're looking for weekend shadow opportunities.

A lot of the U's campus is connected by tunnels. I dont know how much it matters for medical students, but you can get to most buildings during the deep-frozen winters entirely underground. This includes the U's hospital, so no need to drive from the medical school to the hospital. They're attached underground and by skyway. Could also be convenient if you're doing research in an adjacent building; leave the coat in a locker or break room.
Thank you for all the information! Seems like a great place to live -- hoping and praying you get your interview soon!!!

II today! OOS LM: 64, strong ties to MN. I am so pumped. first interview and I ADORE this state, school, and program.

Side note...SKOL VIKES.

II today! OOS LM: 64, strong ties to MN. I am so pumped. first interview and I ADORE this state, school, and program.

Side note...SKOL VIKES.

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? I have similar stats and was complete mid-August!

II this morning! OOS complete 3rd week in aug

Just called the Office of Admissions for an update and was told I got an II! OOS, complete the first week of September.

Calling and getting an II makes me anxious lol

Last edited:
Just called the Office of Admissions for an update and was told I got an II! OOS, complete the first week of September.

Huh, interesting, congrats! Did s/he send an email for you to select an interview after you called? Also was complete first week of September but haven't heard back from them yet.

Didn't they...didn't they send you an email?
No, so I called because she told me I would hear back around the 10th of November. Since I didn't hear anything, I called to ask for an update and she told me that I am in the queue to receive an email to select and II date. I am expecting the email to come in sometime next week. Not the most conventional way of finding out but I'll take it!

No, so I called because she told me I would hear back around the 10th of November. Since I didn't hear anything, I called to ask for an update and she told me that I am in the queue to receive an email to select and II date. I am expecting the email to come in sometime next week. Not the most conventional way of finding out but I'll take it!
Interesting. Thanks for letting us know!

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? I have similar stats and was complete mid-August!
I was complete at the start of September! My interview will be second week in December. Very much looking forward to it.

I was preparing for an upcoming interview here using the SDN interview feedback page and several people claimed that they reuse MMI prompts and thus some people even admitted to having huge advantage going into the interview because they were told what the prompts would be from people who have interviewed. This seems extremely unfair. Is this still the case? I hope they changed them this year and change them up from week to week

I was preparing for an upcoming interview here using the SDN interview feedback page and several people claimed that they reuse MMI prompts and thus some people even admitted to having huge advantage going into the interview because they were told what the prompts would be from people who have interviewed. This seems extremely unfair. Is this still the case? I hope they changed them this year and change them up from week to week
I heard this also when I was preparing for my interview and I was slightly discouraged. However, I felt none of the questions were too daunting or needed to be prepared for much in advance to successfully answer them, so hopefully you have a similar experience.

Has anyone heard anything post interview since the last wave of decisions on 11/12?

Has anyone heard anything post interview since the last wave of decisions on 11/12?
Nope, interviewed on the 26th of October and still anxiously awaiting.

Anyone know the amount of dedicated Step study time?

Accepted today, interviewed late October!!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they tend to send acceptances and waitlist/rejections the same day? I also interviewed at the end of October and haven't heard back!

Do they tend to send acceptances and waitlist/rejections the same day? I also interviewed at the end of October and haven't heard back!
Also wondering this.

Edit: Just got the email, waitlisted :/

Last edited:
Got a call with acceptance yesterday! Interviewed last weekend of October.

anyone who was recently accepted receive the email yet?
My acceptance email came through the day of the call. You might call the admissions office and make sure it didn't get misplaced.

I was accepted on a friday and didn't get the email till sunday night

anyone who was recently accepted receive the email yet?

I got my acceptance call on Tuesday and haven't gotten the email yet. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think I'll call tomorrow afternoon if I haven't gotten it yet.

I got my acceptance call on Tuesday and haven't gotten the email yet. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think I'll call tomorrow afternoon if I haven't gotten it yet.
You can go on the website and just pay your deposit anyway by logging in!