2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got the email this morning, and accepted on the portal!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Who do they decide is eligible for the PREP program? I found out about my admission via the PREP email, but I am confused if you have to be ~selected~ for it or if they offer it to all admitted candidates

Portal says that I've been waitlisted. Congrats to all those accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who do they decide is eligible for the PREP program? I found out about my admission via the PREP email, but I am confused if you have to be ~selected~ for it or if they offer it to all admitted candidates
I think it’s all admitted. I never expressed any interest in it but I got an email

Waitlisted on portal. Damn I loved pitt and felt my interview went great.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the PREP email and accepted on the portal!!!! Anyone know if we will also be getting an official e-mail/info on applying for financial aid, etc? It doesn't seem like there's much on the portal right now.

Also got the PREP email and accepted on the portal!!!! Anyone know if we will also be getting an official e-mail/info on applying for financial aid, etc? It doesn't seem like there's much on the portal right now.
This. Is Pitt known for giving scholarships?

This. Is Pitt known for giving scholarships?

At my interview, I remember hearing that there were no merit scholarships. But I'm guessing there is decent need-based aid.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR says 65 acceptances are given from the WL every year. It also says that they have 2 tiers in their WL. My portal doesn't tell me which tier I'm on though.

During interview day, I asked if they would do a two-tier waitlist system this year and they said that they wouldn't in order for them to review all waitlisted applications when considering a spot for acceptance.

No email & waitlisted this morning. It seems like everyone who didn't get accepted was put on the wait list so it might be a soft rejection? Really bummed about this one, Pitt was my #1. TBH it was always way out of my league though so I shouldn't be that surprised

Very good need based aid if you need it, verrrrrrrry good
Are we talking COA good if our FAFSA EFC is 0 and we're super economically disadvantaged?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted as well. :/

+1. No email, wait-listed when I checked. Looks like there's a lot of us out there. I wonder if they're going heavier on the wait-list than previous years because of traffic rules...

Shame, too. I know for a fact that I had a great faculty interview, but it just goes to show that it's really hard to gauge these things. Here's hoping for wait-list movement!

waitlisted. looks like no PREP email means no acceptance

Waitlisted as well :(

Does anybody have any info on the waitlist? Is is ranked, unranked?

Also, when do you guys think is the best time to send a letter of intent? I sent them an update letter/letter of interest at the beginning of the month, but I realize it may not have helped as decisions had probably already been made by that point...

Waitlisted as well :(

Does anybody have any info on the waitlist? Is is ranked, unranked?

Also, when do you guys think is the best time to send a letter of intent? I sent them an update letter/letter of interest at the beginning of the month, but I realize it may not have helped as decisions had probably already been made by that point...

In terms of your waitlist question:
From what I understand from the information I gathered from interview day, and I may have misinterpreted, the waitlist is not explicitly ranked. Instead, it seems that as spots open up all waitlisted applications are reviewed for consideration. But I am unsure how much of a strain this would cause on the adcom decision process...and whether maybe there is a point system...

In terms of your waitlist question:
From what I understand from the information I gathered from interview day, and I may have misinterpreted, the waitlist is not explicitly ranked. Instead, it seems that as spots open up all waitlisted applications are reviewed for consideration. But I am unsure how much of a strain this would cause on the adcom decision process...and whether maybe there is a point system...
It's ranked. From MSAR: "Applicants placed on a 2-tier waitlist depending on Committee ranking. Applicants taken off waitlist as seats in class become available." I'm not sure how they distinguish between candidates within a tier, but the waitlist overall is ranked.

It's ranked. From MSAR: "Applicants placed on a 2-tier waitlist depending on Committee ranking. Applicants taken off waitlist as seats in class become available." I'm not sure how they distinguish between candidates within a tier, but the waitlist overall is ranked.

They got rid of the 2-tier waitlist this cycle (and it seems like they did not have one during the 2017-2018 cycle as well), but it may still be ranked overall. That's what I am unsure about.

I think that info is outdated because they didn't do the two-tier system last year. Also, if it is still two-tiered, it doesn't appear anyone has been informed of their ranking (i.e. what tier they're on).

From previous threads, it looks like WL movement starts in late Feb/early March; would sending a LOI before that (like mid-Feb) be a complete waste of time? I would like to do everything I can before substantial movement starts happening so that I can confidently say that I did everything I could if I ultimately fail to garner an acceptance (God forbid :()

I think that info is outdated because they didn't do the two-tier system last year. Also, if it is still two-tiered, it doesn't appear anyone has been informed of their ranking (i.e. what tier they're on).

From previous threads, it looks like WL movement starts in late Feb/early March; would sending a LOI before that (like mid-Feb) be a complete waste of time? I would like to do everything I can before substantial movement starts happening so that I can confidently say that I did everything I could if I ultimately fail to garner an acceptance (God forbid :()
Ah gotcha, my apologies, I thought it was up-to-date.

anybody know when second look is?

Also is there some kind of deposit we have to make or something? I don’t see anything about it on the portal and I haven’t received any emails beyond the PREP email this morning

Are we talking COA good if our FAFSA EFC is 0 and we're super economically disadvantaged?
Probably not full COA but What 18purple said is probably most accurate

And also congratulations to everyone who got an acceptance today, Pitt is an amazing place and I’m so happy I’m here people here are great and the opportunities are endless, especially research in any field you want

Congrats everyone. It seems like they legitimately wait listed most and did not reject anyone. That's frustrating, like why do that!?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Did anyone call to actually confirm this is real? I’m so scared they’ll come back next week and be like lol jk

anybody know when second look is?

Also is there some kind of deposit we have to make or something? I don’t see anything about it on the portal and I haven’t received any emails beyond the PREP email this morning
I haven't gotten anything either. I looked around on the website, and found the academic calendar. Second Look is April 25-26, which are a Thursday and Friday.

Long time lurker, first time poster! Current MS2 at pitt med, pitt undergrad. Happy to answer any and all questions! BTW, yinz looked super cute marching around in your suits and ties during the interview season

I'm so confused...was NO ONE rejected post-II? Or this just a big reporting bias? Curious what this means for those of us on the waitlist. I feel like there's so many people on the waitlist which makes our chances worse

I'm so confused...was NO ONE rejected post-II? Or this just a big reporting bias? Curious what this means for those of us on the waitlist. I feel like there's so many people on the waitlist which makes our chances worse

I don't think Pitt rejects anyone post interview

I felt a little silly marching around in a suit in the rain, but it was so worth it!

Could you tell me a little bit more about your day-to-day life as a Pitt student? What does a typical week look like for you? :)

I'll do you one better, this information is publicly available:

http://www.omed.pitt.edu/current-students/documents/DAILY22_MS1_AY18-19_start8-20_10318_000.pdf

That's the first year schedule that incoming students should be concerned with!

As far as the next question I'm anticipating (attendance), here's the dealio:

1. Everyone goes to lecture for your first block (anatomy)
2. After anatomy, the lecture hall becomes a ghost town - most (99%) of lectures are recorded, sometimes they aren't. Pitt med curriculum sometimes incorporates physician lectures where they discuss patient cases and due to HIPAA issues, that cannot be recorded. Those types of lectures also aren't really "tested" but more so a clinical application of whatever you're learning in that particular course. Soo, you don't really have to go, but you should, they're really good

Waitlisted via portal, and decided to go ahead and withdraw. Congrats to all accepted!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think Pitt rejects anyone post interview

Not sure about this particular cycle, but there were people rejected that posted on the thread last year and the year before.

I also personally know at least one person who was rejected from Pitt a few weeks after their interview a few years ago.

The Pitt SOM AdCom bylaws from 2017/2018 (available online) also say they reject applicants outright.

Come to think of it, the PSTP program explicitly says they can pull people in off the waitlist, but not if rejected. I'm not sure why they'd say this if the AdCom literally rejected no one...

Not sure about this particular cycle, but there were people rejected that posted on the thread last year and the year before.

I also personally know at least one person who was rejected from Pitt a few weeks after their interview a few years ago.

Dang, I didn’t know that.

The Pitt SOM AdCom bylaws from 2017/2018 (available online) also say they reject applicants outright.

Come to think of it, the PSTP program explicitly says they can pull people in off the waitlist, but not if rejected. I'm not sure why they'd say this if the AdCom literally rejected no one...

Rules are different from the PTSP.

Didn’t know pItt rejected post interview. TIL...

Also, they interviewed way less people this year, so their rules might just be different.