2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
  • idk if you can answer, but what are the upperclassmen's impressions of third-year clerkships (surgery in particular)
Sorry, I know its a bunch of questions but I'd like to know as much as possible now that I might actually be attending

Hey so I can help with the 3/4 questions. IMO, our school really prepares us to go out and succeed. I have had nothing but success at my away rotations (going into a surgical subspecialty), and my technical skills are really good for my level (as in my residents will scrub out and put in orders while I completely close by myself). If you ask to do things and learn things as a clinical student, you will get those opportunities. Mentorship is great as a clinical student- if you are hardworking, eager, and want to excel, faculty will literally be excited about you being there. I'm not sure how/if they are going to change the clerkship curriculum further (it's a moving target at the moment from my understanding), but this doesn't matter. I was on a stream that didn't allow me to do the 3rd year elective for my surgical subspecialty, and I reached out to a mentor in the field who directly contacted the surgery clerkship director to arrange me to do a month on their service.

Our clinical sites are great. The patient population is grateful for medical care, they don't mind students. Non-operative fields had great experiences too and my friends are killing it with interviews. I honestly believe our clerkships are the best part of our school.

LMK if you have any other questions. Feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, did anyone who prematched, accepted the offer and signed the letter and now on the portal does it show that you declined the offer? I accepted the offer and have the email confirming my acceptance but today it doesn’t show up on tmdsas and on the portal it says I declined when I clearly didn’t...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, did anyone who prematched, accepted the offer and signed the letter and now on the portal does it show that you declined the offer? I accepted the offer and have the email confirming my acceptance but today it doesn’t show up on tmdsas and on the portal it says I declined when I clearly didn’t...
:eek: Keep all your paper trail and call TMDSAS on Monday for help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be 100% sure, to accept the offer we have to:

1) Choose accept in the "Offer" sidebar under the "Offer" tab in the portal
2) Sign and submit the page in the "Signature Page" sidebar under the same "Offer" tab

I'm not missing anything right? I got this far and don't want to blow it now :laugh:

If you sign and submit the page in "Signature Page" does that mean you are committing to McGovern 100%? Or does it confirm the prematch offer? I did step #1 but am confused T_T

If you sign and submit the page in "Signature Page" does that mean you are committing to McGovern 100%? Or does it confirm the prematch offer? I did step #1 but am confused T_T
Accepting a prematch offer is nonbinding, and you will still rank all the schools where you have interviewed for the TMDSAS Match. Some people get more than 1 pre-match offer. Rank your schools in order of your true preference, even if that means ranking a non pre-matched school above a pre-matched school. There is no risk to you of doing this and you will come out of Match Day with a match.
The beauty of a pre-match is that is takes the pressure off you - you know you are accepted to med school, with the possibility of a surprise about where that will be.

anyone that prematched to mcgovern and also interviewed at utsw (but no prematch), how are you ranking these? is anyone ranking mcgovern over utsw? and why?

Reactions: 1 users
anyone that prematched to mcgovern and also interviewed at utsw (but no prematch), how are you ranking these? is anyone ranking mcgovern over utsw? and why?

I didn't interview at McGovern but did at UTSW. To be honest I don't see myself ranking UTSW lower than any other TMDSAS school. Personally, I was blown away by their interview day. They put so much thought into each part of the weekend. Even besides the great interview programming, the resources available to students truly speak for themselves. The clinical experiences offered at Parkland and other UTSW affiliated hospitals and opportunities to customize your education (several different dual degree programs and MD distinction tracks) really did seem unparalleled to any school I'd interviewed at

I'm definitely biased since I prematched at UTSW but haven't even been offered an interview at McGovern, but that's just my two cents

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! I AM BEYOND EXCITED FOR ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS WHO MATCHED INTO MCGOVERN!!! You're going to medical school! How many of you have McGovern as your first choice? I hope I see some of you in the fall!

-BabyDaddy

Pre-matched last Thursday and over the moon about it! Truly didn't expect to be choosing between schools before January, so I am totally overwhelmed. Trying to compare such vastly differing Texas schools is tough.

Just a couple of questions for current students to help with the decision-making process:
1) Does McGovern utilize standardized NBME exams in its courses?
2) What might a typical week look like in the pre-clinical years, in terms of hours of required attendance?
3) I hear a lot of McGovern students say that clerkships/TMC are the best parts of McGovern -- did you feel the pre-clinical curriculum was lacking at all?

Thank you in advance!

do you like Dallas or Houston? I think the 2 cities are quite different.
I liked both cities! I liked both schools as well, but utsw is just ranked higher so I think I'm biasing towards utsw simply because of its rank. Mcgovern did seem like a "chiller" school and the students looked much happier there. I just know lots of people that got accepted to utsw but still decided to go to a "lower tier" school and wanted to see their reasoning for it

I didn't interview at McGovern but did at UTSW. To be honest I don't see myself ranking UTSW lower than any other TMDSAS school. Personally, I was blown away by their interview day. They put so much thought into each part of the weekend. Even besides the great interview programming, the resources available to students truly speak for themselves. The clinical experiences offered at Parkland and other UTSW affiliated hospitals and opportunities to customize your education (several different dual degree programs and MD distinction tracks) really did seem unparalleled to any school I'd interviewed at

I'm definitely biased since I prematched at UTSW but haven't even been offered an interview at McGovern, but that's just my two cents
I definitely agree, Parkland was just amazing

Not sure if McGovern has some kind of specific wording, but at least based on TMDSAS's policy on prematch, you should be able to accept multiple offers and not be bound to one
I liked both cities! I liked both schools as well, but utsw is just ranked higher so I think I'm biasing towards utsw simply because of its rank. Mcgovern did seem like a "chiller" school and the students looked much happier there. I just know lots of people that got accepted to utsw but still decided to go to a "lower tier" school and wanted to see their reasoning for it
I have a friend that did something similar in deciding to go to a lower tier school and she explained it to me as just having felt more comfortable. It makes sense since you're going to be there for a minimum of 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did those who pre matched at McGovern get the “meet alumni and current students” email?

hi any chance I might receive an II before the end of the cycle? submitted primary and secondary in june and early aug with lizzy of 67 and IS

also wondering this. i did step 1 clicked accept the offer but haven't done step 2 sign the signature page because i'm not sure if it'll be binding?

also wondering this. i did step 1 clicked accept the offer but haven't done step 2 sign the signature page because i'm not sure if it'll be binding?
Not binding. By signing the signature page, you're simply confirming that you accept the pre-match offer, and will abide to their ethical standards.

I will likely be doing this - my #1 reason is simply that I am from Houston, went OOS for undergrad, and want to be back home and close to family for my next life stage. I am living in Dallas this year, and I personally prefer Houston though they have plenty of similarities. I would agree with others that Parkland is definitely the standout at UTSW; my tour of Parkland and the 4th years who gave it really impressed me. However, I found McGovern's interview day to be more impressive and a bit more thoughtful. There were a couple times during my UTSW experience where I found myself lost with no student guides in sight - this never happened at McGovern. The lunches at UTSW were also lacking (I did the Friday program in addition to the Saturday interview). For the first day we were just given an $8 voucher for the cafeteria, for the second we got packaged bbq sandwiches. Not that everything wasn't delicious, but it felt like McGovern really went to more effort to impress us, which was nice.

I would also say that McGovern had the friendliest students, perhaps tied with Long. Not that the students at UTSW weren't lovely, McGovern really made me feel comfortable.

tl;dr, while the rank of UTSW is appealing, McGovern is certainly reputable enough that rank wasn't a huge factor for me. The biggest pull is my personal connection to Houston, and how comfortable I felt during interview day.

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-matched last Thursday and over the moon about it! Truly didn't expect to be choosing between schools before January, so I am totally overwhelmed. Trying to compare such vastly differing Texas schools is tough.

Just a couple of questions for current students to help with the decision-making process:
2) What might a typical week look like in the pre-clinical years, in terms of hours of required attendance?
3) I hear a lot of McGovern students say that clerkships/TMC are the best parts of McGovern -- did you feel the pre-clinical curriculum was lacking at all?

Thank you in advance!

1) Yes, with the exception of the first semester.
2) First semester has more required attendance than the rest of the pre-clinical years, but for the most part there is not a lot of required attendance. I feel like I have a lot of control over my schedule. The main required sessions will be PBL and preclerkships.
3) I can only speak to the first semester, but speaking to some MS2's, they like the rest of the curriculum. Once you get to a systems-based/NBME curriculum where the exams are standardized, performance on those exams is highly personalized based on how you study and what resources you like to use.

Is there any hope for IIs? I got only 2 IIs so far (Long and Baylor) and no prematches . I dont have much hope from Baylor . Do I have to start preparing for next cycle?
IS, cGPA 3.76/sGPA 3.71, MCAT 518 and decent ECs.

Is there any hope for IIs? I got only 2 IIs so far (Long and Baylor) and no prematches . I dont have much hope from Baylor . Do I have to start preparing for next cycle?
IS, cGPA 3.76/sGPA 3.71, MCAT 518 and decent ECs.

1. There's always hope! The interview cycle is long, so don't start losing your mind yet. I know of many people (including myself) who have interviewed/pre-matched with similar stats as yours, so keep your fingers crossed.

2. Until you have an acceptance in hand, it's always a good idea to begin preparing for the next interview cycle - better safe than sorry, you know?

I'll be ranking McGovern (pre-matched) over UTSW (interviewed, no pre-match). The key reason is this: the people and culture at McGovern. While UTSW is a wonderful institution with a strong reputation, at this stage in our medical careers, it's not about where you go to medical school - it's about how you perform academically (that's input coming from numerous UTSW/Parkland physicians with whom I've worked over the past several years).

Every school preaches that their "culture" is special; and while that may be true, it was especially evident at McGovern on my interview day. I heard numerous stories of students rallying to help each other when Harvey blew through Texas last August: providing food, water, and even shelter if it was needed. That's the kind of school I want to be at.

Reactions: 6 users
Yo, did y’all also send the Signature letter to McGovern through mail or just the online?

I will likely be doing this - my #1 reason is simply that I am from Houston, went OOS for undergrad, and want to be back home and close to family for my next life stage. I am living in Dallas this year, and I personally prefer Houston though they have plenty of similarities. I would agree with others that Parkland is definitely the standout at UTSW; my tour of Parkland and the 4th years who gave it really impressed me. However, I found McGovern's interview day to be more impressive and a bit more thoughtful. There were a couple times during my UTSW experience where I found myself lost with no student guides in sight - this never happened at McGovern. The lunches at UTSW were also lacking (I did the Friday program in addition to the Saturday interview). For the first day we were just given an $8 voucher for the cafeteria, for the second we got packaged bbq sandwiches. Not that everything wasn't delicious, but it felt like McGovern really went to more effort to impress us, which was nice.

I would also say that McGovern had the friendliest students, perhaps tied with Long. Not that the students at UTSW weren't lovely, McGovern really made me feel comfortable.

tl;dr, while the rank of UTSW is appealing, McGovern is certainly reputable enough that rank wasn't a huge factor for me. The biggest pull is my personal connection to Houston, and how comfortable I felt during interview day.
I honestly couldn’t agree more... McGovern was just amazing in how I felt welcomed and comfortable and my experience so far with faculty and my interviewers has made me like the school even more, not to mention all the TMC has to offer. I also loved UTSW but it terms of comfort, McGovern has me. Still debating these two and luckily prematched here so I know I have a spot here!!!

Thank you in advance!
1) Yes.
2) Only Cadaver lab or clinical skills sessions are required, with a few exceptions.
3) Yes. I was the first year of the new curriculum in 2016 so there were a lot of kinks to work out. Now it sounds like most of them are resolved. My impression is that schools such as UTSW and Baylor have superior preclinical curriculum. That said, our class did just fine on Step 1 (on par with previous years) and I expect the class behind us to do better. From what I've heard they sound very well prepared.

Let me know if you want more details.

-BabyDaddy

See you in the Fall! Interviewed 11/9, pre-matched yesterday. Absolutely fell in love with McGovern during the interview day! (Not to mention that the chocolate cake is everything it was hyped up to be lol)
That's so awesome. Congratulations again! Have some fun before school starts!

No need to apologize! I'm happy to answer any questions!
I won't name any other schools (bc they're all great IMO), but the main reason I chose McGovern was for a number of factors:
  1. The people. When I interviewed I noticed that the students seemed to strike a balance between being chill yet still eager to do well. That has still been my impression so far. Everyone is super nice and helpful, yet at the same time extremely smart (which can be a bit intimidating, but no one uses their smarts to try and put anyone else down). The smarties are more than willing to help out us normies, and no one seems to be afraid to ask for help.
  2. The school recently revamped the curriculum to focus on step 1. I wanted a school with a systems-based curriculum that really focuses on preparing the students for step 1, and McGovern has that. I've heard a lot of complaints about traditional curriculums that aren't catered towards step 1, and I wanted to avoid that headache all together.
  3. Lastly, I love Houston and I honestly don't think there's a better city to get a medical education in. You'll hear a lot of good things about the medical center, but the amount of research/shadowing opportunities you can get here really sold me on the city and the environment. And the food is awesome.
Yes, the first semester is unranked P/F, which has been amazing (it really has helped make this transition to med school a lot easier). I like the curriculum so far-the first semester is different though because it's not systems based yet. It's all of the basic sciences-anatomy, physiology, biochem, etc. It's tough, but definitely manageable. The faculty do a great job of working with the students and the test questions aren't killer. In fact, our averages have been pretty high and everyone is doing pretty well. Vast majority of lectures are non-mandatory, so there's a lot of freedom in how you make your study schedule. I think we have 6 weeks of dedicated for step 1.

I personally have not gotten started in research yet, but I plan to. There is a summer research program that students can apply for, but I also know of a lot of other students who simply email research labs they're interested in and get involved-it's that easy. This also speaks to why it's so great to go to med school here in Houston-there's more research going on than you can imagine and most of them are willing to have students hop on board to help. I'm not aiming for a competitive specialty, but if I were I would feel comfortable finding a lab that would get me where I want to go.

I don't know many 3rd-years, but I haven't heard any complaints or shining praises about the clerkships. The only thing I do know about the 3rd/4th year scheduling is that when they re-did the curriculum they basically allotted more time for early electives so people could explore different fields before they sent out residency apps. This is pretty important if you don't know exactly what field you want to go into.

I don't personally live on the campus housing, but I have friends who do and they love it. The rent is super cheap (compared to the rest of Houston/any big city), and the units are all pretty nice.

Awesome! So much great info in your post! I'm glad they made Foundations P/F for you guys. Sounds like a lot of the kinks our class experienced have been ironed out. It sounds like they are really setting new classes up well for Step 1. So important!

As far as clerkships go, They really are great in my opinion. I've gotten to do SO much that I didn't think Med students would be allowed to do. I have the impression that you see things here (often) that you won't see anywhere else. Love it. Residents come to the TMC from all over the country, and they LOVE it here and love to teach med students. For the most part, everyone is pretty friendly EVEN IN THE OR!

Overall, the strength of McGovern is that there is the opportunity to see anything you want to in your clerkship years. In addition to great elective opportunities, you will see so much patient volume and so much severity of disease on your core rotations that you get a really solid foundation.

-Babydaddy

• idk if you can answer, but what are the upperclassmen's impressions of third-year clerkships (surgery in particular)
Sorry, I know its a bunch of questions but I'd like to know as much as possible now that I might actually be attending

Haven't done my surgery rotation yet, but have already had a lot of time in the OR on OB/Gyn and even a little on Neuro (surprisingly).
All my classmates who have done surgery have different opinions. In general, those who are interested in surgery participate, really enjoy the rotation, and get to do a lot (depending on the site). Once you are here, you talk to students before you and request specific sites where you will get the most hands-on time. No matter what, you will be retracting and performing suction a lot as a med student. That's just reality. Better residents and attendings will get you pretty involved in the surgery. I've already closed (sutures and staples) several patients, tried an LP, and I haven't even started surgery yet! In addition to the stuff that sounds cool, I've gotten a lot of hands-on during surgeries just manipulating anatomy, chasing and cutting sutures for residents, starting foley and straight catheters, using the bovey to stop small bleeds, and just generally being an extra set of hands for whatever needs to be done. It's sometimes surprising how much they will let you do if you are into it.
Some students are extremely negative about their surgery rotation (it's just not for everyone) and some are super positive. McGovern students do their general surgery rotations at either Memorial Hermann hospital or Lyndon B. Johnson. Memorial Hermann (a Level 1 trauma center). It is pretty famous for trauma. It's the country's first air ambulance center (LifeFlight) and the home of Red Duke (a famous trauma surgeon). Lyndon B. Johnson is a county hospital with a very high patient volume that sees a ton of Gen surg cases. Some students actually prefer to do their surgery rotation at LBJ because the Med students get to do more, being out of the lime light of Memorial Hermann.
I requested LBJ, because I prefer to participate :)

-BabyDaddy

Any chance of more IIs to come? LM 77 IS but still haven’t heard back:/

received physical acceptance letter in mail a few days ago, no scholarship info however. is that something that is released now-ish or after match day?

received physical acceptance letter in mail a few days ago, no scholarship info however. is that something that is released now-ish or after match day?

I called the admissions office and they told me they are going to send out an email with scholarship/loan/grant info in the next few weeks!

I also received the physical mail acceptance through mail a few days ago!!

I called the admissions office and they told me they are going to send out an email with scholarship/loan/grant info in the next few weeks!

does anyone know if McGovern is pretty generous about giving scholarships/grants? (historically)

does anyone know if McGovern is pretty generous about giving scholarships/grants? (historically)
I mean...I hope they are cuz they got so much money from John. P. McGovern they renamed the school after him couple years ago

1) Yes.
2) Only Cadaver lab or clinical skills sessions are required, with a few exceptions.
3) Yes. I was the first year of the new curriculum in 2016 so there were a lot of kinks to work out. Now it sounds like most of them are resolved. My impression is that schools such as UTSW and Baylor have superior preclinical curriculum. That said, our class did just fine on Step 1 (on par with previous years) and I expect the class behind us to do better. From what I've heard they sound very well prepared.

Let me know if you want more details.

-BabyDaddy

Thank you & eljefemdfuturo for your replies!

How feasible do you think it is to live in the suburbs of Houston (Katy or Sugar Land), at least for the pre-clinical years? Would you expect to be driving in only 2-3 days per week and think it might not be totally awful?

I got an email for a scholarship application and it says scholarships will be announced in the spring/early summer? Guess I won't find out scholarship info anytime soon then. Here goes another application...yay!

I got an email for a scholarship application and it says scholarships will be announced in the spring/early summer? Guess I won't find out scholarship info anytime soon then. Here goes another application...yay!
+1 kinda bummed we won’t hear soon, like before match day

How feasible do you think it is to live in the suburbs of Houston (Katy or Sugar Land), at least for the pre-clinical years? Would you expect to be driving in only 2-3 days per week and think it might not be totally awful?
too,too,too far. Houston traffic is horrendous and you should try to live close.

too,too,too far. Houston traffic is horrendous and you should try to live close.

I agree with wysdoc. I lived close to the school for the first 2 years and it was great. That being said, I moved to a suburb now and I commute to rotations. The trick is leaving super early in the morning before traffic starts and getting home pretty late. Of course this is pretty much regular hours for many rotations, so it works fine :), but it's NOT ideal.

So in short, you can theoretically make it work (depending on which suburb), but don't do that to yourself if you don't have to. You will need to be on campus most days during the first semester especially.

-BabyDaddy

Katy and Sugarland are pretty far, but Pearland (another suburb) is down 288 from the med center and I have had several classmates with families live there the entire four years.

Is there a Facebook group already?