2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I received a prematch and the acceptance email mentioned, "This offer is contingent upon your successful completion of all required coursework and receiving any degree that you indicated in your TMDSAS application," and so is there any possibility of my offer being rescinded due to my GPA dropping significantly? I applied with a 3.9 but it's going to be a lot lower now. I'm taking a very difficult class this semester and I'm afraid of getting a C or, worst case scenario, a D.
Does McGovern want us to simply graduate or maintain our GPA? I called the admissions office and they said to "remain in good academic standing" and I'm not sure what that means either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I received a prematch and the acceptance email mentioned, "This offer is contingent upon your successful completion of all required coursework and receiving any degree that you indicated in your TMDSAS application," and so is there any possibility of my offer being rescinded due to my GPA dropping significantly? I applied with a 3.9 but it's going to be a lot lower now. I'm taking a very difficult class this semester and I'm afraid of getting a C or, worst case scenario, a D.
Does McGovern want us to simply graduate or maintain our GPA? I called the admissions office and they said to "remain in good academic standing" and I'm not sure what that means either.
Honestly I think if you at least pass with a C you’re good

Reactions: 1 users
No you’re fine. I’m sure med schools understand that you probably had other interviews and stuff that got in the way of classes. Just don’t go C across the board

Members don't see this ad :)
No you’re fine. I’m sure med schools understand that you probably had other interviews and stuff that got in the way of classes. Just don’t go C across the board
You should just take a look at the letter they sent you. At least for UTMB, it just says not to get any Ds or Fs. I imagine McGovern would be similar, unless stipulated otherwise in your acceptance letter.

Reactions: 2 users
have any OOS'ers that interviewed in mid-October heard back? I can't remember the timeframe they said

Hello all, I'm trying to complete the scholarship form for McGovern. I was wondering if this is a form we re-do each year or is it one and done? Also, in the section that says Please provide any additional information..." What generally should I be putting into that spot?

Trying to decide between here or Long (San Antonio). Does anyone have any insight?

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-matched, but declining because of the no true pass/fail preclinical. Good luck everyone and hope someone gets my spot

Reactions: 6 users
My friend at another medical school regularly meets with a dean whose sole job is to help students match into their desired residency. Does McGovern have a system like this?

My friend at another medical school regularly meets with a dean whose sole job is to help students match into their desired residency. Does McGovern have a system like this?
lol can you share what the other medical school that does this is?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol can you share what the other medical school that does this is?
the University of Utah. My friend expressed his desire to be a cardiologist in one of their meetings and the dean told him what he needed to do and even helped him get into a cardiology lab that publishes very frequently to help build his resume.

the University of Utah. My friend expressed his desire to be a cardiologist in one of their meetings and the dean told him what he needed to do and even helped him get into a cardiology lab that publishes very frequently to help build his resume.

Wow, that is a great story. University of Utah only has about ~80 students though, right? This kind of regular program meeting one on one with the dean would be very tough with 240 students (I'm very impressed they can do this with 80 students). Before applying as 4th years, you do have a meeting with our dean of student affairs so they can get a better understanding of your goals for the residency process and your dean's letter. We also have the option of meeting with the same team as a third year, but many of us have already been connected with the right people prior to that point and opted to continue that over meeting with student affairs. For my specialty, we have a very prominent faculty member who takes it upon themself to get us all to match, has regular meetings to prepare us for what's currently going on in the process starting in third year, and really goes to bat for us. Despite some schools not having a formalized process with the dean, strong mentorship is possible at any school.

To my knowledge, we don't have anything formal in place from the school similar to what you are describing (but maybe my colleagues will help out if there is something in place), but we do have many different interest groups and opportunities to find faculty mentors in the field you are interested in. Also, life at McGovern is really what you make of it. I've personally not had issues finding mentors/research opportunities on my own, and sort of pride myself on the fact that I've made a lot of things happen for myself with a little help from great mentors.

Anyone know if McGovern is receptive to LOI?

From what I've heard from a good friend of mine (a current MS1 at McGovern), they are receptive but prefer for applicants to hold off on sending LOI's until after match day. More specifically, if you're going to send an LOI, it would be best to wait until after match day if you don't match to McGovern.

From what I've heard from a good friend of mine (a current MS1 at McGovern), they are receptive but prefer for applicants to hold off on sending LOI's until after match day. More specifically, if you're going to send an LOI, it would be best to wait until after match day if you don't match to McGovern.

What about if you haven't gotten an interview yet? Can you send LOIs now?

I'm guessing the last MD/PhD IIs were sent already for the January date? :(

I'm guessing the last MD/PhD IIs were sent already for the January date? :(
Don't give up hope yet, there may still be a chance. I got my interview about 3 weeks before the interview. Let's hope this week is your week!

Has anyone called the admissions office about this or found out any more info about post-acceptance grades? I’m in the same boat!

Has anyone called the admissions office about this or found out any more info about post-acceptance grades? I’m in the same boat!
I know that if you make a C you'll be fine. If you make a D, they might have you take a class the summer before class starts. Not sure on the D. If you can't pull off a C, I'd say try to take a different class if at all possible. Just graduate!

I know that if you make a C you'll be fine. If you make a D, they might have you take a class the summer before class starts. Not sure on the D. If you can't pull off a C, I'd say try to take a different class if at all possible. Just graduate!

I made one C this semester in a super tough class but the rest are As! Just started getting paranoid because the acceptance letter was vague about the requirements for matriculation. Where did you find that a C is okay?

This sounds great in theory, but it would be impossible at larger Med schools like McGovern. Also, most find it far more valuable to get advice on matching into a specialty from directors of programs in their chosen specialty. If your dean is a pediatrician, are they really the best person to advise you on matching into neurosurgery (or Cardiology)?

-BabyDaddy

I made one C this semester in a super tough class but the rest are As! Just started getting paranoid because the acceptance letter was vague about the requirements for matriculation. Where did you find that a C is okay?
If you are that worried about it, just email the admissions peeps and ask. Nothing I tell you will give you that much peace of mind.

BTW, I'm really excited for all of you guys. I'll hopefully be a resident at McGovern (I love it so much I want to stay ;)) by the time y'all start rotations, and I can't wait to work with you guys. And keep up the good work. It gets much harder from here, but somehow it also gets better.

-BabyDaddy

If you are that worried about it, just email the admissions peeps and ask. Nothing I tell you will give you that much peace of mind.

Thanks! Was just wondering if you knew from experience or had contacted someone previously or something. Thanks for your help!

This sounds great in theory, but it would be impossible at larger Med schools like McGovern. Also, most find it far more valuable to get advice on matching into a specialty from directors of programs in their chosen specialty. If your dean is a pediatrician, are they really the best person to advise you on matching into neurosurgery (or Cardiology)?

-BabyDaddy

Utah has 125 students so it makes sense it might not be feasible at a larger school. However, his entire job is to know how to match into every residency and he seems to be pretty good at it based on my conversations from all the students I have had with students currently at Utah, which is quite a few. Obviously Utah students still find field specific mentors too. Different schools have different systems and that's okay.

Necessary post? LOL
I see you are a new member. Was letting others know that a spot has opened up while saying my choice was based on a personal preference, not something inherently wrong with the school. This is a common practice on SDN. McGovern is a good school, just not a good fit for me. Good luck all with this application cycle, and hopefully someone gets my pre-match :p

Reactions: 4 users
I see you are a new member. Was letting others know that a spot has opened up while saying my choice was based on a personal preference, not something inherently wrong with the school. This is a common practice on SDN. McGovern is a good school, just not a good fit for me. Good luck all with this application cycle, and hopefully someone gets my pre-match :p
Yep. Everyone sharing info on SDN is the only thing keeping me sane at all right now and always appreciated.

Pre-matched, but declining because of the no true pass/fail preclinical. Good luck everyone and hope someone gets my spot

It really is a shame they don't have a true P/F curriculum. Although changing their system to where their first semester is true P/F will be nice.

I hope this school is still sending out pre matches!! I interviewed 2 weeks ago and it’s my number one choice

anybody know how many weeks this program provides for step 1 prep?

I know it's so late in the interview season but does anyone know if there is any hope for an II here still? congrats to everyone who's gotten in, that's amazing!

Reactions: 5 users
I know it's so late in the interview season but does anyone know if there is any hope for an II here still? congrats to everyone who's gotten in, that's amazing!

Last year the last batch of II reported on SDN was on 12/12/17. I think they’re done, unfortunately.

Hi everybody! I just finished my first semester here and I loved it. I can't tell you much about clinicals but here's my experience so far:

The first semester is pass/fail (no high pass or low pass or honors or anything like that, just straight up pass fail) to help you get adjusted to medical school. It's still difficult but at least you have one less thing to worry about, if that makes sense. In terms of attendance, expect to have to be there every Friday for about 2-3 hours, and on dissection days. You only take gross anatomy the first semester. Every once in a while you have a required class (I'd say, maybe every few weeks). I went to class the first block but ended up streaming the second and third blocks so that I could use commute time to study. Plus, there are some pretty cute coffee shops to study at :) The school buys you resources like Firecracker, Pathoma, and I think UWorld later, so you can use those! There are others too but I'm drawing a blank now. By the end of your first semester, you'll be able to give a comprehensive physical exam and take a history--and next semester we get to start preceptorships, which is when we each get to work with a physician in a clinical setting!

I love the camaraderie here. We have a big class drive and we share notes and anki decks with each other, and we have group chats and facebook pages where you can ask each other questions. People tell you when they're going to coffee shops or wanting to do dog playdates or whatever, and you can join in! We also have a lot of social events. I've made some of my best friends here--some of the people in my class you could literally call at 3 AM if you're struggling and they'll be there for you. When I was deciding where to go, the class culture was super important to me--probably one of the most important things, honestly, since I need to be happy to do well--and I am super pleased with where I went.

I'm not certain if you guys have submitted your rank lists yet (to be honest, I don't remember when I did that, lol) but my advice would be to try and visit the schools, talk to students there, and get an idea of what kind of culture and curriculum works for you. Because in the end, what is ideal for me may not be for you. If you work hard, you're going to be great doctors no matter which of the awesome TX schools you pick! Congratulations on your hard work so far and happy holidays!

Reactions: 16 users
Any more interview invites to be sent out

I'm in the process of filling out my scholarship form for McGovern and my father won't provide his 2017 earnings, any idea on how I should proceed?

I kinda forgot but McGovern is top10% high pass and then pass/fail right? I don't really care if I'm high pass or regular pass but I just don't want the letter grades. Thanks in advance.

I kinda forgot but McGovern is top10% high pass and then pass/fail right? I don't really care if I'm high pass or regular pass but I just don't want the letter grades. Thanks in advance.

TAMU does the top 10% Honors. McGovern does P/F first semester, and then goes to H/HP/P/F for the rest of pre-clinicals

Not sure if this thread is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how the housing waitlist works exactly? Like will it work like undergrad dorms where I can apply as an individual person and get placed with other incoming students? My tour guides mentioned that getting on the waitlist ASAP is a good idea and there's been no discussion of housing in the admitted students FB group so wanted to double check...

Not sure if this thread is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how the housing waitlist works exactly? Like will it work like undergrad dorms where I can apply as an individual person and get placed with other incoming students? My tour guides mentioned that getting on the waitlist ASAP is a good idea and there's been no discussion of housing in the admitted students FB group so wanted to double check...

Yes, be waiting at your computer at midnight ready to get on that list! Does it open tonight?

It doesn't work like undergrad dorms. If you get off the waitlist, they will offer you an apartment, and you can add people to live with you. They typically have a spreadsheet where people can hunt for roommates a little bit later, but UT housing will not give you someone to live with. But if you end up with a 2 bedroom apartment at UT housing, you will probably have no problem finding a roommate because people will want to live at UT housing.

Yes, be waiting at your computer at midnight ready to get on that list! Does it open tonight?

It doesn't work like undergrad dorms. If you get off the waitlist, they will offer you an apartment, and you can add people to live with you. They typically have a spreadsheet where people can hunt for roommates a little bit later, but UT housing will not give you someone to live with. But if you end up with a 2 bedroom apartment at UT housing, you will probably have no problem finding a roommate because people will want to live at UT housing.
can you get on more than one waitlist?