2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people McGovern prematches?
I know I'm not amazing enough for a prematch but I'm starting to hope and it's dangerous.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS applicant complete 7/29, non-trad with high 60s LM, high 80s WARS, and I had multiple pre-med advisers laud my essays.

Radio silence. I feel like I fit McGovern's mission perfectly and I've worked with them on clinical research projects for the past 3 years and have presented at multiple conferences at McGovern. Hearing nothing is so disappointing:/ they are one of my top choices (if not the top choice).

So if nothing else, I'm posting this on the off-whim chance the med school gods blow some good fortune my way with a late interview invitation. I'd really rather not leave Texas to have to attend medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
PREMATCHED FIRST ACCEPTANCE! :)

Reactions: 11 users
ACCEPTED! Email received at 9:36AM!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-matched to McGovern this morning a little before 10! So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
pre-matched!!!! But, the link that they sent us me redirecting me and isn't working. is anyone else having a problem with this? legit scared that they sent me the email on accident..

pre-matched!!!! But, the link that they sent us me redirecting me and isn't working. is anyone else having a problem with this? legit scared that they sent me the email on accident..
Yeah I just went back to the secondary portal and it’s the same thing!

Pre-Matched! See y'all in Houston in a few months!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks!!! I figured it out :) If we accept the offer, does that mean we can't receive prematches from anywhere else?

Reactions: 1 users
PRE-MATCHED at 9:55 AM central. Makes me think that they're probably sending out emails in alphabetical waves? My last name is near the end of the alphabet

Interview 10/26, ~75 LizzyM, traditional applicant

Edit: spelling lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted IS 9:45. Complete 7/22. Interviewed 10/19. LizzyM Score of 75. Congrats to everyone that has a prematch and wishing the best to those who are still waiting!

congrats to everyone who got accepted this morning! I was wondering, should I be worried that I have only received one II thus far in the cycle and should I be preparing for another cycle (i.e studying for the mcat etc.)? I didn't get prematched here which I probably foresaw granted my stats aren't really super stellar for a prematch. I interviewed September and have received no other II.

congrats to everyone who got accepted this morning! I was wondering, should I be worried that I have only received one II thus far in the cycle and should I be preparing for another cycle (i.e studying for the mcat etc.)? I didn't get prematched here which I probably foresaw granted my stats aren't really super stellar for a prematch. I interviewed September and have received no other II.
no matter what anyone says you are by name and deed a worrier! You could still match here without a prematch offer, and you could still get more interviews by January. Hang in there!

no matter what anyone says you are by name and deed a worrier! You could still match here without a prematch offer, and you could still get more interviews by January. Hang in there!
haha. Can't argue with that. Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Are they done sending out II? It seems like it's been a while since they've sent a batch out and I'm guessing they won't be sending any next week because of the holiday....

Prematched here this morning at 10:45! Didn't expect it after not prematching anywhere else, but I couldn't be more excited. LM: 71, definitely think my interview on 11/05 helped more than anything.

Prematched!! LM 70

Prematched here this morning at 10:45! Didn't expect it after not prematching anywhere else, but I couldn't be more excited. LM: 71, definitely think my interview on 11/05 helped more than anything.

Congrats!!

Congratulations everyone! I also pre-matched here this morning at about 9:41 am!!

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! I AM BEYOND EXCITED FOR ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS WHO MATCHED INTO MCGOVERN!!! You're going to medical school! How many of you have McGovern as your first choice? I hope I see some of you in the fall!

-BabyDaddy

Just to be 100% sure, to accept the offer we have to:

1) Choose accept in the "Offer" sidebar under the "Offer" tab in the portal
2) Sign and submit the page in the "Signature Page" sidebar under the same "Offer" tab

I'm not missing anything right? I got this far and don't want to blow it now :laugh:

Just to be 100% sure, to accept the offer we have to:

1) Choose accept in the "Offer" sidebar under the "Offer" tab in the portal
2) Sign and submit the page in the "Signature Page" sidebar under the same "Offer" tab

I'm not missing anything right? I got this far and don't want to blow it now :laugh:
lol thats what I've done

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!!! I AM BEYOND EXCITED FOR ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS WHO MATCHED INTO MCGOVERN!!! You're going to medical school! How many of you have McGovern as your first choice? I hope I see some of you in the fall!

-BabyDaddy

See you in the Fall! Interviewed 11/9, pre-matched yesterday. Absolutely fell in love with McGovern during the interview day! (Not to mention that the chocolate cake is everything it was hyped up to be lol)

Didn't prematch here but hoping for a fat match here in February

See you in the Fall! Interviewed 11/9, pre-matched yesterday. Absolutely fell in love with McGovern during the interview day! (Not to mention that the chocolate cake is everything it was hyped up to be lol)
Mmm and the tres leches! Best lunch on the TX trail prove me wrong

Congratulations, everyone! I'm a current MS1 and am loving this place so far. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Congratulations, everyone! I'm a current MS1 and am loving this place so far. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

• Why did you choose McGovern (i.e. over BCM, UTSW, UTMB, or other schools)
  • I know the first semester is unranked P/F how do you feel about the curriculum so far, I've heard that the testing structure is more stressful than some other places. Mandatory attendance at lectures or mostly streaming? How much time for STEP 1?
  • Have you gotten started in research or do you know other classmates that are aiming for competitive residencies at got started?
  • idk if you can answer, but what are the upperclassmen's impressions of third-year clerkships (surgery in particular)
  • Do you live on the campus housing? how are the newer ones?
Sorry, I know its a bunch of questions but I'd like to know as much as possible now that I might actually be attending

• Why did you choose McGovern (i.e. over BCM, UTSW, UTMB, or other schools)
  • I know the first semester is unranked P/F how do you feel about the curriculum so far, I've heard that the testing structure is more stressful than some other places. Mandatory attendance at lectures or mostly streaming? How much time for STEP 1?
  • Have you gotten started in research or do you know other classmates that are aiming for competitive residencies at got started?
  • idk if you can answer, but what are the upperclassmen's impressions of third-year clerkships (surgery in particular)
  • Do you live on the campus housing? how are the newer ones?
Sorry, I know its a bunch of questions but I'd like to know as much as possible now that I might actually be attending
No need to apologize! I'm happy to answer any questions!
I won't name any other schools (bc they're all great IMO), but the main reason I chose McGovern was for a number of factors:
  1. The people. When I interviewed I noticed that the students seemed to strike a balance between being chill yet still eager to do well. That has still been my impression so far. Everyone is super nice and helpful, yet at the same time extremely smart (which can be a bit intimidating, but no one uses their smarts to try and put anyone else down). The smarties are more than willing to help out us normies, and no one seems to be afraid to ask for help.
  2. The school recently revamped the curriculum to focus on step 1. I wanted a school with a systems-based curriculum that really focuses on preparing the students for step 1, and McGovern has that. I've heard a lot of complaints about traditional curriculums that aren't catered towards step 1, and I wanted to avoid that headache all together.
  3. Lastly, I love Houston and I honestly don't think there's a better city to get a medical education in. You'll hear a lot of good things about the medical center, but the amount of research/shadowing opportunities you can get here really sold me on the city and the environment. And the food is awesome.
Yes, the first semester is unranked P/F, which has been amazing (it really has helped make this transition to med school a lot easier). I like the curriculum so far-the first semester is different though because it's not systems based yet. It's all of the basic sciences-anatomy, physiology, biochem, etc. It's tough, but definitely manageable. The faculty do a great job of working with the students and the test questions aren't killer. In fact, our averages have been pretty high and everyone is doing pretty well. Vast majority of lectures are non-mandatory, so there's a lot of freedom in how you make your study schedule. I think we have 6 weeks of dedicated for step 1.

I personally have not gotten started in research yet, but I plan to. There is a summer research program that students can apply for, but I also know of a lot of other students who simply email research labs they're interested in and get involved-it's that easy. This also speaks to why it's so great to go to med school here in Houston-there's more research going on than you can imagine and most of them are willing to have students hop on board to help. I'm not aiming for a competitive specialty, but if I were I would feel comfortable finding a lab that would get me where I want to go.

I don't know many 3rd-years, but I haven't heard any complaints or shining praises about the clerkships. The only thing I do know about the 3rd/4th year scheduling is that when they re-did the curriculum they basically allotted more time for early electives so people could explore different fields before they sent out residency apps. This is pretty important if you don't know exactly what field you want to go into.

I don't personally live on the campus housing, but I have friends who do and they love it. The rent is super cheap (compared to the rest of Houston/any big city), and the units are all pretty nice.

Reactions: 3 users
Mmm and the tres leches! Best lunch on the TX trail prove me wrong

I've never been so careful while eating cake..it took every ounce of self control I had not to inhale the cake b/c I didn't want to get anything on my suit :laugh: