2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you hear from them soon buddy. Positive energy your way

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
submission time here doesn't correlate to the II date here, at least from my experience! Don't give up hope
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

could those who received II's recently shed some light on the dates that were offered to them?

@annithegrouch I was offered about 2 weeks ago and Nov is full but all the December dates were open.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interviewing today?! I saw a bunch of interviewees in the leather lounge. Always makes me smile :)

Could you speak a bit about the culture of the school? I couldn't get a "feel" of it during my interview, but I think it depends on who we talk to, etc. Thanks!

Could you speak a bit about the culture of the school? I couldn't get a "feel" of it during my interview, but I think it depends on who we talk to, etc. Thanks!
I'm not sure if you are asking more about the culture of the School itself (faculty) or the student body, so I'll speak a little to both.

Student Culture: The school tries to recruit students who have an interesting life story or have overcome obstacles in their life. As a result, most students here are pretty interesting and kind, at least in my experience. Students here are like a big family. Most go out of their way when another needs help. Few people here are out for themselves at the expense of others, and they tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

School Culture: The school has a culture of what I like to call "Personable Excellence". Most of the faculty are outstanding, whether on the academic/research side, or the clinical side. Not all of them are the best lecturers, but most are humble, approachable, and invested in the students' success. The administration is quick to accommodate difficult life circumstances students might have.

I didn't know the best part of our school until I started 3rd year. It is definitely the clinical experience and the residents. Our school is affiliated with doctors from every specialty under the sun, and students get opportunities to rotate through high-volume academic hospitals in a major city and learn from excellent residents who come here from all over the world to train. I love it. Gotta go.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if you are asking more about the culture of the School itself (faculty) or the student body, so I'll speak a little to both.

Student Culture: The school tries to recruit students who have an interesting life story or have overcome obstacles in their life. As a result, most students here are pretty interesting and kind, at least in my experience. Students here are like a big family. Most go out of their way when another needs help. Few people here are out for themselves at the expense of others, and they tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

School Culture: The school has a culture of what I like to call "Personable Excellence". Most of the faculty are outstanding, whether on the academic/research side, or the clinical side. Not all of them are the best lecturers, but most are humble, approachable, and invested in the students' success. The administration is quick to accommodate difficult life circumstances students might have.

I didn't know the best part of our school until I started 3rd year. It is definitely the clinical experience and the residents. Our school is affiliated with doctors from every specialty under the sun, and students get opportunities to rotate through high-volume academic hospitals in a major city and learn from excellent residents who come here from all over the world to train. I love it. Gotta go.

Thank you so much! That was exactly what I was looking for :)

Reactions: 1 user

I'm going to throw out my opinion as well. Other than being a high-achieving academic center, I don't believe we really have a culture. I was told we had a certain culture when I came in, to find out it's really not true and we have a mix of personalities. With a class size of 240, it's hard to characterize everyone in one way. Do I think that's a bad thing? No - you're statistically more likely to find some people who share your interests, hobbies, etc.

Does McGovern interview only on Fridays or other days of the week too?

Congrats!!
Do you think these are the last interview dates?
Thank you! I honestly have no idea. I’d think that might open up ones later perhaps? I had Jan 9 and Jan 11 as options if that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!
Do you think these are the last interview dates?

When I did the end-of-interview evaluation I saw 1/9 and 1/11 as the last dates (I pick my interview date to do the eval for, but they showed all the dates). Could open up more though; I interviewed in Sept.

Thank you. Do you mind elaborating?
All I mean is that SDN is usually an exceptionally skewed view of real stats. If you want real stats for each school, cough up the 10 bucks or whatever it is for the year's subscription to MSAR where you can see the numbers for students who were accepted and for students who are attending each school. My LizzyM was in the mid 60s and I'm an MS1 here. The buddy I mentioned was low 60s. Granted, we're on the lower end of the percentile spectrum, but we also have other things going for us that no traditional applicant would. Bottom line - stats are important, but there are other ways to shine.

Hopefully McGovern is sending a couple more interview invites this week, because this school is high up on my list! They aren't open to LOIs, correct?

Hopefully McGovern is sending a couple more interview invites this week, because this school is high up on my list! They aren't open to LOIs, correct?
They are, but don't wait too long. I sent one in last year and later followed up. Once they're done interviewing, all the candidates are ranked and that rank does not change with further updates. Although I'm not certain an LOI would change your ranking beforehand either. That's usually more important with schools who struggle to fill slots and are looking for a safety fill.

Not sure about LOIs but I tried to send a publication update a few weeks ago and was told they didn’t accept updates unless you’d been invited for an interview.

They are, but don't wait too long. I sent one in last year and later followed up. Once they're done interviewing, all the candidates are ranked and that rank does not change with further updates. Although I'm not certain an LOI would change your ranking beforehand either. That's usually more important with schools who struggle to fill slots and are looking for a safety fill.
Did you send one in before getting an II?

is anyone here hardcore praying for that prematch?? this is my top choice and i am counting down the days till 11/15 DXDX I hope we all get lucky!!

LM 73 -74, IS, Complete on 7/23, decent research , volunteering and shadowing. Still no IIs . What might have gone wrong? Very much worried now.

LM 73 -74, IS, Complete on 7/23, decent research , volunteering and shadowing. Still no IIs . What might have gone wrong? Very much worried now.
It could be your essays. Schools will often turn away someone if the essays do not reflect their mission or culture. Don’t give up though, Thanksgiving is the unofficial panic date.

Virtually identical to you and haven’t heard back.

II about an hour ago!! DID NOT think I would hear from them. Submitted secondaries early/mid August. Only one date available in December and two dates in January available. Anybody who interviewed here or is interviewing: Did y'all take a non-spouse guest? Like a sibling, serious bf/gf, or parent? I have a sibling that is an alumni that was wanting to go if it is allowed.

Reactions: 3 users
II about an hour ago!! DID NOT think I would hear from them. Submitted secondaries early/mid August. Only one date available in December and two dates in January available. Anybody who interviewed here or is interviewing: Did y'all take a non-spouse guest? Like a sibling, serious bf/gf, or parent? I have a sibling that is an alumni that was wanting to go if it is allowed.

There was a lady who brought her husband along during the interview day. He was pretty much permitted to partake in all activities besides the interview itself. So yes, totally feel free to bring whoever you'd like.

Alumni sibling sounds like it would make your interview day extra fun! Someone on my interview day brought their mom and everyone was fine with it.

If you don’t mind me asking, what days exactly?

It could be your essays. Schools will often turn away someone if the essays do not reflect their mission or culture. Don’t give up though, Thanksgiving is the unofficial panic date.
Essays are very important at McGovern. I think that's basically anywhere though.

There was a lady who brought her husband along during the interview day. He was pretty much permitted to partake in all activities besides the interview itself. So yes, totally feel free to bring whoever you'd like.
I brought my wife. McGovern included her in EVERYTHING! Except the interview :)
This really made the decision for me. They were the only school that included my wife in everything. Made all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
HEY EVERYBODY THAT IS FREAKING OUT! I GOT MY INTERVIEW INVITATION IN MID DECEMBER!!!
Interviewed early January, got in during the match (my first choice :))
Don't stress, just enjoy your Turkey!
Good Luck Guys, and be encouraged!
-BabyDaddy

P.S. Remember, after this, it will never matter again when you applied, what your interview date was, what your GPA or MCAT was, or anything else you are currently stressing about! Med School is the great equalizer, and once you make it here, anything is possible!!!
Most people who get a handful of interviews seem to get into at least one school. I don't know a single person from the interview trail who didn't get in somewhere. Hope this makes you smile. Aight I'm out. Gotta wake up and get ready for clinic in like 4 hrs!!! Need Sleep!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Is McGovern prematch heavy or do they fill their class in February during the regular match process?

Is McGovern prematch heavy or do they fill their class in February during the regular match process?
I May be wrong but apparently everyone except UTSW is moving towards being match heavy.

I've never heard a definite number on this but I get the impression most Texas schools get slightly more students from the match than prematch.

When I applied/interviewed, it was believed that UTH filled 60-70% of their in-state portion of the class through match. It is possible things could have changed or I was given completely wrong information though.

So I emailed their admission office regarding when they will stop sending II and they sent me this,

"We are and we will continue to send interview invitations out until our last interview date on January 11th."

Reactions: 5 users
So I emailed their admission office regarding when they will stop sending II and they sent me this,

"We are and we will continue to send interview invitations out until our last interview date on January 11th."
For what it’s worth, I checked last year’s McGovern thread and the last II batch sent was 12/12, with their last interview date being 1/12.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think late IIs would be for late applicants or June/July applicants still have chance?

cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.71, MCAT 518, Decent ECs, Texas resident

Do you think late IIs would be for late applicants or June/July applicants still have chance?

Since >>95% of secondaries are likely submitted now, they're probably re-reviewing the entire applicant pool regardless of when we submitted. Your stats are rock solid, so with each iteration of the review you stand a good chance of being invited.

520/4.0 in the same situation, wondering what may have gone wrong:/

McGovern definitely doesn’t yield protect. (That’s more of a low-tier thing.) They’ve accepted students with 4.0s and 520+ in previous cycles.
Does Which undergrad school matter for McGovern admission?

Does Which undergrad school matter for McGovern admission?
I would think not. I got an early September interview and I'm from a state school with little to no prestige. I also know a couple of people from my same undergrad that have been admitted to McGovern.