2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the difference is between when letters were "received by admissions office" and "approved by admissions office"? Mine is checked in the "received" box but not "approved" box so it says my app is not complete...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the difference is between when letters were "received by admissions office" and "approved by admissions office"? Mine is checked in the "received" box but not "approved" box so it says my app is not complete...

Dude...same here. I submitted my secondary on the 9th, and it still says my file is not complete.

For those who have interviewed already and utilized their lodging services, what was that like? Were they dorms? Are significant others allowed to stay with us? Thank you so much!

(Received an II on 9/14/18, complete 7/17/18, LizzyM~77, ORM, OOS)

They were... adequate. Yes, they're dorms. Everything else about the interview experience at WashU blows away the accommodations. Not sure about SOs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed already and utilized their lodging services, what was that like? Were they dorms? Are significant others allowed to stay with us? Thank you so much!

(Received an II on 9/14/18, complete 7/17/18, LizzyM~77, ORM, OOS)

The lodging is nice quality, but very small. In the best way possible, it's what i imagine a very high quality jail cell would look like - bed, shower, and toilet all in one small room. Just a twin sized bed though, so that's on you if you want to share that with someone lol. I'd call the Core Apartments and ask, they might have a blanket or something you can throw on the floor

Reactions: 1 user
Is WashU receptive to ITA emails? Haven't been invited to interview, but LM 82 and I have received interviews at other top schools. Complete 7/17. Really interested in this particular school though...

Is WashU receptive to ITA emails? Haven't been invited to interview, but LM 82 and I have received interviews at other top schools. Complete 7/17. Really interested in this particular school though...

I've sent to ITA requests to two supposedly receptive schools and still silence from them so I don't know effective they are. I don't think they can harm your app though as long as you're polite so i feel like it's worth a shot (as long as you're actually going to be in the area otherwise there's no point lol)

I've sent to ITA requests to two supposedly receptive schools and still silence from them so I don't know effective they are. I don't think they can harm your app though as long as you're polite so i feel like it's worth a shot (as long as you're actually going to be in the area otherwise there's no point lol)
hahah yes, actually going to be in the area! thanks

Yes, I sent them one and they replied within the same week, so it’s worth a shot!

Just got an II! Complete 8/27. Super shook because LM 70

Reactions: 6 users
II today, Complete 8/31. Found it in the spam folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Man this spam folder be trying to play us. They don't want to see us interview.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude...same here. I submitted my secondary on the 9th, and it still says my file is not complete.

Have you emailed the admissions office? I'm wondering if I should to make sure there is nothing wrong with my letters!

Have you emailed the admissions office? I'm wondering if I should to make sure there is nothing wrong with my letters!

Yes, I did via the communications tab on the secondary site about a week after my submission. No answer since then.

II a couple days ago! Complete late July, LM 67

To people that have interviewed here, whats the structure? I'm a little unclear from the Interview feedback. Is it one or two 30-min interviews? Or is one supposed to be an hour. It looked like not everyone gets 2 but its like a quality check.

Do you mind sharing what's the earliest interview date you can choose from?

My earliest interview options were both in the first week of December.

It's kinda wild how fast they've been filling up if it's technically still early in the interview invitation season..

To people that have interviewed here, whats the structure? I'm a little unclear from the Interview feedback. Is it one or two 30-min interviews? Or is one supposed to be an hour. It looked like not everyone gets 2 but its like a quality check.
Hey so there is either 2 or 3 interviews. Everyone has one 40 min open file interview and one 20 min closed file interview, however about half of the people at random will have another 20 min closed file interview (so 3 total). Interview day is very relaxed with lots of free time so you can drop into med school classes if you want or just wander around to see the school if you'd like to

complete 7/6 and still no word...does anyone know if people have been rejected so far?

Interviews were split morning/afternoon, randomly assigned, with a lunch at noon. We had a bit of walking during the tour, so wear something comfortable.

Interview here on Monday that went into my spam, heard today about an interview opening for Friday as my first word about the interview invite! Very, very excited as this is my top choice program, my undergrad university, and I'm a local St. Louis resident. Good luck to everyone else and if anyone has any questions about what its like to live in St. Louis please feel free to reach out!

Can anyone comment on the financial aid/scholarships here? They are one of the lowest debt schools after only Stanford from what I saw on US news which is very impressive. Does anyone know why this is?

Interview here on Monday that went into my spam, heard today about an interview opening for Friday as my first word about the interview invite! Very, very excited as this is my top choice program, my undergrad university, and I'm a local St. Louis resident. Good luck to everyone else and if anyone has any questions about what its like to live in St. Louis please feel free to reach out!
How would you describe the area around the school? What is St. Louis’s relationship with WashU like?

Thanks! And congrats on the interview!!

How would you describe the area around the school? What is St. Louis’s relationship with WashU like?

If you’re indirectly asking about the crime rate, since STL is unfortunately known for that, this is a relatively safe area. The medical campus is in Central West End, which is one of the more “cosmopolitan” areas in the city’s and very friendly, lots to do. I don’t know what WashU’s relationship is like from an inside perspective since I don’t go there (yet?!), but it’s very well respected in the city, though has a reputation of being a bit “rich kids” compared to other universities in the area. Most people connect WashU with BJC, the hospital system.

It’s relatively safe. Its surrounded by a lot of sketchy areas since it’s downtown and in the central west end. The area around Washu is amazing for restaurant choices for sure though. Traffic sucks, especially around rush hour. The arch is about a mile or so away and a bunch of other attractions like the science museum are all within walking distance so lots to do in the region

Washu does a lot of outreach stuff especially in terms of research. It has a lot of local partnerships with communities And research cores

Yes, I did via the communications tab on the secondary site about a week after my submission. No answer since then.

After emailing the admissions office - not through the portal but via direct email - two days ago I just got a complete email today. If they don't change your status to complete maybe you should try this.

It’s relatively safe. Its surrounded by a lot of sketchy areas since it’s downtown and in the central west end. The area around Washu is amazing for restaurant choices for sure though. Traffic sucks, especially around rush hour. The arch is about a mile or so away and a bunch of other attractions like the science museum are all within walking distance so lots to do in the region

Washu does a lot of outreach stuff especially in terms of research. It has a lot of local partnerships with communities And research cores
Thank you! Very excited to get a feel for WashU and St. Louis next month:)

Just saw my interview invite (was in my spam folder since the 24th :/). Anyone else having issues finding open dates?

For those finding interviews in spam, is there also a portal tab that opens up or do you have to hopefully find an email? Lol

II just now!!!!!! Refresing my email every five minutes has finally paid off. Yayyyy

Reactions: 5 users
If I’ve already scheduled an interview, do you know if it’s appropriate to ask if it’s possible to switch to another day (in that same week)? Has anyone asked this before?

If I’ve already scheduled an interview, do you know if it’s appropriate to ask if it’s possible to switch to another day (in that same week)? Has anyone asked this before?
It doesn't hurt to ask

II 10/4/18 International Non-Canadian, Submitted 9/06 (Not in my spam)

Dang i think you're right the first international I've seen on this thread with an II. Nice!
II 10/4/18 International Non-Canadian, Submitted 9/06 (Not in my spam)

Dang i think you're right the first international I've seen on this thread with an II. Nice!

Thanks! being an international student adds a certain level of stress during this process, and I sent out my apps in Late Aug/ Early Sept.

I bet. Best of luck to you!
Thanks! being an international student adds a certain level of stress during this process, and I sent out my apps in Late Aug/ Early Sept.

Anyone know what month/weeks the IIs are scheduled into? Trying to get a gauge for how many IIs have been sent out by WUSTL so far

Anyone know what month/weeks the IIs are scheduled into? Trying to get a gauge for how many IIs have been sent out by WUSTL so far

So far I only saw available dates till the third week of December.

So I received an II but there are no available dates on my portal...I tried calling but I think they're already closed for the weekend

So I received an II but there are no available dates on my portal...I tried calling but I think they're already closed for the weekend

I am having the same issue. I tried calling as well but (for some weird reason), my connection started breaking up and they couldn't hear anything. Now that I have connection, it's already too late.

Noticed I got an II on 9/24, didn't realize till 10/4 when they sent me a second email from another address about more interview dates. The initial invite was in my spam! So shook. Close ****ing call. I went and checked the portals for all my other schools to make sure it didn't happen elsewhere. Will be religiously checking my spam from now on.

The spam folder strikes again! Lol
Noticed I got an II on 9/24, didn't realize till 10/4 when they sent me a second email from another address about more interview dates. The initial invite was in my spam! So shook. Close ****ing call. I went and checked the portals for all my other schools to make sure it didn't happen elsewhere. Will be religiously checking my spam from now on.

Anyone know if they are receptive to ITA emails?

Yes they are, it worked for me. I would say though, it would only work if you give them ample time to plan ahead and you're a competitive applicant who they would probably invite anyway