2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed early September and still patiently waiting :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 Acceptance call just now. It was one of my interviewers. Interviewed 10/17.
Hi! Has anything on your portal changed yet? I got the call yesterday and nothing so far—I know they prob just haven't updated mine yet but the neuroticism is out of control lol

Congratulations on being accepted to WUSM!! I am so happy for you! I interviewed at WashU in September, and I haven't heard back from them. What did they tell you when they called you? And do you see any changes in your portal?
Thank you!! They seem pretty random with the order, so I'm hoping good things are coming for you soon :) TBH, I was so caught off-guard I missed half the things they told me lol. Something about checking the portal and confirming that I received the call? Nothing's changed in my portal, but I'll give it 48 hrs before I freak out more haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been accepted via phone call in the last few days seen an update to their portal? I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they were working on it and should be up by end of day yesterday. Nothing yet though, so figure they’re still working on it!

Does anyone have an idea of when WashU stops sending out interview invitations?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a phone call from St. Louis and I knew it could only be one thing! It was a Red Cross representative though. This cycle is not great for my heart.

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone have an idea of when WashU stops sending out interview invitations?
In the response to my ITA email, I got an email saying that they hadn't finished setting up interview slots for the spring, so I would imagine that there are plenty more II's to come.

Anyone know if they're done sending out acceptances for awhile?

Hi! Has anything on your portal changed yet? I got the call yesterday and nothing so far—I know they prob just haven't updated mine yet but the neuroticism is out of control lol

Yes. There was an email from Dean Ratts yesterday (4 days post my call on Friday) and the portal had another link in it.

Question for people that have interviewed: When do we find out the names of our interviewers?

Did the people who were accepted send LOIs after their interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone shed some light on what the interview day is like here?

Can anyone shed some light on what the interview day is like here?
Fairly standard, with small pockets of downtime throughout (well, depends on your interview schedule). The order is different for everyone, but after breakfast and check-in, you have 2-3 interviews (random), lunch (SO good), a tour of the campus, and then the wrap-up session. They also include a schedule of classes going on that day so you can drop in whenever you have downtime!

Fairly standard, with small pockets of downtime throughout (well, depends on your interview schedule). The order is different for everyone, but after breakfast and check-in, you have 2-3 interviews (random), lunch (SO good), a tour of the campus, and then the wrap-up session. They also include a schedule of classes going on that day so you can drop in whenever you have downtime!

Thank you! What were the styles of the interview (open/closed/faculty/student/length/etc)?

I personally did not, though I did send my typical thank you notes (through the admissions office)

Hey there! Just trying to shed some light and help out the good ol’ SDN community :)

I sent neither a LOI nor a Thank You letter* to the AdCom and I was accepted! I don’t think those tiny details will make or break you, but thank you notes are generally good practice.

*Note: I ACCIDENTALLY didn’t send one (it stayed in my Outbox without being sent).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did the people who were accepted send LOIs after their interviews?

Hey! Please see my response to this question later in this post. In short, I was accepted without sending a LOI or a Thank You to the AdComs. I do recommend sending Thank You letters though. They’re quick and easy to write and might make a small difference (in your favor).

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! What were the styles of the interview (open/closed/faculty/student/length/etc)?
Np! Everyone had 1 20-min closed file with faculty + 1 40-min open file with faculty, and some people were randomly chosen to have an additional open-file (I think) student interview. I only had the first two, and they were pretty chill/conversational!

Np! Everyone had 1 20-min closed file with faculty + 1 40-min open file with faculty, and some people were randomly chosen to have an additional open-file (I think) student interview. I only had the first two, and they were pretty chill/conversational!
Any idea why they do a randomized 3rd interview? Seems like it just adds an inconsistent variable?

They are piloting having M4s help with interviews. Traditionally it’s always been faculty and/or adcoms interviewing, but in the future it may be 1 faculty/adcom and 1 M4!

Has anyone who interviewed in October for MSTP heard anything back yet? I know a few people got acceptances but I thought they would let us know if we were on waitlist/hold or rejected by now

Does WashU require a deposit to hold an acceptance? Don't see anything on my portal, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

It's really really good. They take you out to a restaurant for Mexican food with students and interviewees. They take good care of you!

They took us to a restuarant with Asian food! So apparently it varies. Either way, really good.

A few things

LOIs - As far as I know, Letter of Interest matter to the admission committee when it comes later in the cycle (Think post February) and you can adequately speak to what makes WashU stand out versus the other schools you have interviewed at, or strong personal reasons that make you want to be at WashU. They want to see that you have given it thought and are not just trying to make them accept you. *consistent communication later in the cycle matters. they read those letters*

Acceptances - There's no real order to the acceptances. If you have interviewed, you can be accepted at any point. Yes, it is annoying to wait to hear back if you interviewed earlier and someone else already got accepted. Just distract yourself, and craft a great LOI for later in the season if you truly think St. Louis and WUSM is the right place for you.

(Dean Ratts goes over most of these points at the end of the interview day, but obviously the end of the interview day is not prime attention time)

Congrats to all those accepted so far!! Feel free to PM with questions if you are undecided. Hopefully see you guys next year.

Reactions: 5 users
Does WashU require a deposit to hold an acceptance? Don't see anything on my portal, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Wondering the same thing, but also don't see anything on my portal. Just clicked through and filled out the various forms, hope that's also what you did!

Do they accept updates? If so, does anyone know the preferred method of updating?

Wondering the same thing, but also don't see anything on my portal. Just clicked through and filled out the various forms, hope that's also what you did!

No deposit as per my caller when he gave me the acceptance call.

anyone send an ITA request and hear back?

Friend sent one and was told they are "unable to extend an interview invite at this time". Soft reject?

Dont know if i want to ask them myself now lol.

anyone send an ITA request and hear back?

Friend sent one and was told they are "unable to extend an interview invite at this time". Soft reject?

Dont know if i want to ask them myself now lol.
I sent an ITA in October since I was going to be in St. Louis in November and February. They told me that they haven't finished setting up interview slots for Spring 2019, but would reserve my requested date (which subsequently appeared as my interview date in the portal).

I sent an ITA in October since I was going to be in St. Louis in November and February. They told me that they haven't finished setting up interview slots for Spring 2019, but would reserve my requested date (which subsequently appeared as my interview date in the portal).
Did the same for an early November date back in September

Just got a II as well. Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is here? My dad went here for law school and grandma was a nurse at the hospital so I’d love to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II, complete back in July

Just got a II as well. Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is here? My dad went here for law school and grandma was a nurse at the hospital so I’d love to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s about 35% I believe! (At least for OOS bc that’s what I looked at lol)

Hey did anyone stay at their apartment complex the night before? How was it? Do I need to bring toiletries?

Hey did anyone stay at their apartment complex the night before? How was it? Do I need to bring toiletries?
It was pretty nice and they have toiletries/towels so you don't have to bring any

How is the nightlife in Central West End? Mostly students? Any young professionals? Are there bars or dance clubs?

Anyone else hear back about acceptances?
In the last couple cycles the second wave of acceptances went out December 15th and 16th. They were early this year so more people might hear from them on the 7th, but probably not this weekend.

How is the nightlife in Central West End? Mostly students? Any young professionals? Are there bars or dance clubs?

Lots of bars in CWE, downtown, Soulard or The Grove. Fair number of dance clubs ( typically some of the bars have an inner dance space). You would see a fair number of students depending on what places you frequent (typically WashU and SLU grads/undergrads and folks from Webster/Fontbonne). Lesser number of young professionals in CWE. That crowd tends to be downtown, Soulard or if you drive like 15 mins away, a bunch of other neigborhoods with night scenes

Would you guys say that it's not a good sign if we didn't hear back in the first round of acceptances after interviewing relatively early in the cycle (early Oct)?