2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just found out that there is a culinary medicine program here. This definitely makes me more interested in WashU. Are there any current students that would be willing to talk about their experiences?

1. What kind of recipes do you teach to the community members?
  2. Where is the teaching kitchen in relation to school?
  3. Do students purchase the ingredients themselves, or are ingredients provided? Do you show community members where they can find the ingredients for themselves?
Edit: Also, is this school pass/fail or nah?
Where did you find this info? I’d love to read more about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you find this info? I’d love to read more about it!

Culinary Medicine Program | Office of Medical Student Affairs

I found it as I was browsing through WashU's list of student organizations. I like to cook to de-stress, and I heard about Tulane's culinary medicine program. Apparently these kinds of cooking opportunities are becoming popular at other schools.

I thought I'd see if WashU has it going on. Other schools that have a culinary medicine elective/student group include Tulane, Emory, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, and George Washington University. There are probably more out there, but I'm simply not aware of them. I know Medical College of Georgia in Augusta has a Teaching Kitchen as well, but I have not been able to get many details about it.

*Did a quick search, and here is a list of other medical schools that offer culinary medicine opportunities: Partner Sites Using Health meets Food Courseware – CulinaryMedicine.org

Reactions: 1 users
Can you email application updates/ letters of interest or do they need to upload through the secondary application portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they send out that you didn't get accepted/on the waitlist? Do they wait until March/April? I interviewed in September and haven't heard anything back yet :|

Reactions: 6 users
Just received an II for MD. Complete 8/3, unbalanced 78 LizzyM. Seven dates available in Jan and Feb, mostly Fridays.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II, MD. Complete 07/13. LM 80. :)

II just now, complete 7/22. So excited to visit!

II a couple hours ago, complete 10/01 LM 80. Was passed to MD-only after a December rejection from MSTP

Anybody know the preferred method for application updates? Email or just portal upload?

II received earlier today! Complete late October.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today but no dates available anymore on the calendar... anyone else have this issue?

II today but no dates available anymore on the calendar... anyone else have this issue?
Yup... got the II this morning but didn't log in until 15 minutes ago. Must have no dates available. We might have to call admissions.

question for those who sent your thank you note(s) to the admissions email:

Did you get any sort of response? Any confirmation that your email was received or that the letters were forwarded to your interviewers?

question for those who sent your thank you note(s) to the admissions email:

Did you get any sort of response? Any confirmation that your email was received or that the letters were forwarded to your interviewers?
I did not get any response :/

If you interviewed early (September ish) and haven't heard back, is that maybe a bad sign? Or does Wash U wait until the end of interview season to make the majority of their decisions?

If you interviewed early (September ish) and haven't heard back, is that maybe a bad sign? Or does Wash U wait until the end of interview season to make the majority of their decisions?
+1 would love some feedback from earlier years on this. I interviewed the second week and thought that was a great sign, but have yet to hear anything. Also, has WashU sent out any post II rejections?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but to those who have interviewed: Does the day end right at 3:30? Would a 4:45 flight after the interview be cutting it too close?
Even if it ended right at 3:30 and you didn't have a check bag, I still wouldn't recommend a 4:45 flight. You would need everything to go perfectly to make the flight on time and downtown traffic can be unpredictable.

A few of the students i met on my interview mentioned they didn't hear anything back until near March. Not sure if that means anything but maybe they respond to the majority send out a few up till then?
Even if it ended right at 3:30 and you didn't have a check bag, I still wouldn't recommend a 4:45 flight. You would need everything to go perfectly to make the flight on time and downtown traffic can be unpredictable.

There's a train that goes straight to the airport. I used it and it only took like 25 to 30 mins to get there. I still wouldn't risk it but just a heads up for people, much cheaper than an uber too. I think it was about 2 bucks.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but to those who have interviewed: Does the day end right at 3:30? Would a 4:45 flight after the interview be cutting it too close?
I was just looking at the interview day overview, it looks like your last actual interview will end at 2:30, so I would call admissions to see if you can leave early. It looks like there is a wrap up session at the end of the day. I will say though, without much traffic, a car ride to the airport from washu should only take like 15 minutes, and Lambert is pretty fast with security if you don’t have checked bags

Did the admissions office say when we may hear back if we interviewed late November?
Idk if this helps but I interviewed in December for MSTP. They said the next date for the MD only committee to review was Jan. 10 or 11. Can't remember which. The next time after that would be in February.

I think its more whenever they get to it. I interviewed in October and havent heard yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

The only thing the admissions office said was March 31st, which is the deadline for all schools anyway...

That's what i thought which is why i was surprised when people started hearing back. Maybe they meant anytime up until then which doesn't help much haha

That's what i thought which is why i was surprised when people started hearing back. Maybe they meant anytime up until then which doesn't help much haha
Yeah, that was the gist I got from Dr. Polites. I would just assume it's another non-rolling, March decision and be pleasantly surprised if I hear sooner

Do they silently reject? Complete early September and have been on radio silence since

Anyone that had a third student interview been accepted? I've been looking at threads from past years, and it looks like they get accepted at a lower rate.
I was told by students at the event the night before that since not everyone got one that it had no bearing on admission. I had one and haven’t been accepted though so who knows haha.

I was told by students at the event the night before that since not everyone got one that it had no bearing on admission. I had one and haven’t been accepted though so who knows haha.
lol same, student interview and no A, did they give us a student interviewer because they had a low chance of taking us post-II and wanted us to be guinea pigs??

I
lol same, student interview and no A, did they give us a student interviewer because they had a low chance of taking us post-II and wanted us to be guinea pigs??

I had an interview with a student and no A...

I

I had an interview with a student and no A...
I did not have a student interview but also no A. In other words, don't worry about it. There are too many qualified candidates for them to waste time and resources interviewing people they aren't seriously considering.

Reactions: 6 users
With respect, that doesn't really tell us anything. Out of the last three cycles, I saw ~15 people with three interviews, and all of them were waitlisted and ultimately rejected, except for Krukshanks, who got in off the waitlist (and now apparently littlefishbigpond3270)

I also had a student interview and no A

But by sheer numbers there must be so many people with three interviews AND two interviews who get waitlisted and rejected. There simply isn’t enough data to make any sort of conclusion, and speculation really doesn’t change the outcome.

Reactions: 4 users
Why would people with student interviews conceivably get accepted at a lower rate though? At my interview I was told they were randomly assigned to about 25% of people

I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason to who gets a third interview. I only had two faculty interviews and havent heard back yet
I heard that they're just trying out student interviews for now and comparing if the student interviewer gives around the same score as the faculty interviewers. I.e. if they give similar scores, admissions will incorporate more med student interviewers. No point in obsessing or speculating about what it might mean for your individual chances

Reactions: 5 users
With respect, that doesn't really tell us anything. Out of the last three cycles, I saw ~15 people with three interviews, and all of them were waitlisted and ultimately rejected, except for Krukshanks, who got in off the waitlist (and now apparently littlefishbigpond3270)

Nah I gotchya, I wasn't trying to prove anything either way, just pointing out that more people adding in that they had a student interview and no A isn't evidence, it's just adding confirmation bias.
Why would people with student interviews conceivably get accepted at a lower rate though? At my interview I was told they were randomly assigned to about 25% of people
^this.

I know it's easy to stress about something like that, but I really don't think you all with a student interviewer have anything to worry about. We're all on an equal playing field

If it makes you feel better. I had a student interviewer and was accepted earlier today (i choked up when i got the call, it was very exciting).
On a different note, for people who were or know people who have been accepted, the acceptance of admissions on the portal is non-binding right? I assume it's just a way to ensure that accepted candidates are still interested?

I just realized the previous post posted in a strange way. Recopied here:

If it makes you feel better. I had a student interviewer and was accepted earlier today (i choked up when i got the call, it was very exciting).

On a different note, for people who were or know people who have been accepted, the acceptance of admissions on the portal is non-binding right? I assume it's just a way to ensure that accepted candidates are still interested?

Can 2 reported acceptances on SDN be considered the January wave? Does anyone know WashU's acceptance pattern at this point? Trying to retain some sanity.

Accepted! Interviewed in November, I had a student interview.

Reactions: 13 users
do people know if washU is nearing the end of their cycle? aka whats the likelihood of getting an interview still...if there are any still left over?

do people know if washU is nearing the end of their cycle? aka whats the likelihood of getting an interview still...if there are any still left over?

Their last adcom meeting is the last Thursday of February. They wrap up interviews before then.

Hi Everyone, I have an interview coming up at WashU, I'm so excited!!!!
Those of you who have already interviewed:
Do you have any advice for the interview? (Types of questions/ anything you weren't prepared for?)
For the pizza party the night before, what attire would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!