2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just put my deposit down yesterday and am starting to think about housing. Does anyone know about what the most common places to live are/if anyone is looking for roommates? Honestly on the fence about living alone vs. with a roommate and looking for someone to shed some light. Do people usually find roommates on SDN or is there somewhere else?

I have put down my deposit as well. I called a couple of places/realtors in the area and was told by both that it's way too early to explore housing. They recommended looking in late March and mid-April range as the earliest dates. They both told me they didn't have any idea if they would have people moving out until much closer to the end of the semester. Maybe some current students could confirm this, but I have been told this by 3 different people that have houses listed (one said late March and the other 2 said mid to late April).

Members don't see this ad :)
Im looking for the facebook group for the class of 2023. Is there one or should we look to make it?

I see there is a class of 2022 group

Reactions: 1 user
If I get accepted here, I plan to buy a house and stay forever. I wonder how many students have purchased houses and rent them out to WVSOM students while in residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Im looking for the facebook group for the class of 2023. Is there one or should we look to make it?

I see there is a class of 2022 group
There is a 2023 group! Its linked above on this thread :)

If I get accepted here, I plan to buy a house and stay forever. I wonder how many students have purchased houses and rent them out to WVSOM students while in residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m a first year and bought a house. I still have quite a bit of time to decide what to do with it.. but I haven’t regretted my decision so far!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
I have put down my deposit as well. I called a couple of places/realtors in the area and was told by both that it's way too early to explore housing. They recommended looking in late March and mid-April range as the earliest dates. They both told me they didn't have any idea if they would have people moving out until much closer to the end of the semester. Maybe some current students could confirm this, but I have been told this by 3 different people that have houses listed (one said late March and the other 2 said mid to late April).

Hey guys! I thought I would shed some light on the whole housing situation. A lot of us found our housing on our class FB page. Landlords and people from the community like to join the group and post housing on there so be sure to be on the lookout for posts on there! I signed my lease in December/January last year as well as a lot of other people in my class so it's definitely not too early to start looking, but if you want to wait that's okay too! We made our FB page in September so there were a lot of options posted by this time already. A lot of people live in houses near campus or apartments downtown, as well as Woodland Acres, Silo Square townhomes, Blackbird Villages, and Monroe apartments, which are all close to campus. There's also places in Fairlea or Ronceverte which are small towns next to Lewisburg. As for living with a roommate or living alone that's honestly personal preference. It's definitely cheaper to live with a roommate, but it's also nice to live on your own because you're literally with the same people almost every single day so it's nice to have your own space sometimes too!

Looking for a little advice here. Stats: 3.35 overall GPA, 3.33 sGPA. MCAT 501. 2 years clinical experience in a hospital setting. I was recently deferred. Emailed Julian Arbaugh, and he explained why that choice was made. What are the chances of getting out of deferrment and getting an interview?

Message from the admissions counselor Julian Arbaugh, posted on the facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/WVSOM2023)

"Hello Applicants! Since October, we have noticed that Admissions emails to applicants are being flagged as spam and pushed to junk folders or blocked altogether. We are very concerned that people are not receiving their secondary application because of this. Our IT department is working to fix this issue, but I'm not sure how long this will take. If you find one of our emails in your junk/spam folder, please mark it as 'not spam'. Marking our emails as 'not spam' will actually help.

If your application has been verified for more than two weeks and you haven't received a secondary application, please contact us! You can call us at 800-356-7836 or email us at [email protected] or you can DM us @WVSOMAdmissions on Twitter. We are very happy to help you any way we can. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

If any current students of wvsom are on here, would you mind shooting me a message? Wanted to ask about specifics related to the school

So I submitted everything and was complete in July, then on September 18th I got an email saying “we want to assure you your application is still under consideration, we have everything you need”. I checked the other day on my portal and it still says under review. Anyone else having this?

So I submitted everything and was complete in July, then on September 18th I got an email saying “we want to assure you your application is still under consideration, we have everything you need”. I checked the other day on my portal and it still says under review. Anyone else having this?

Yes, I have emailed with an admissions counselor and this is a good thing. Many others have received rejections and deferred decisions. However, you (and I) are still under consideration for each rolling interview session. I was complete in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for a little advice here. Stats: 3.35 overall GPA, 3.33 sGPA. MCAT 501. 2 years clinical experience in a hospital setting. I was recently deferred. Emailed Julian Arbaugh, and he explained why that choice was made. What are the chances of getting out of deferrment and getting an interview?
Similar stats, this school leaving me on read

This is one of my favorite schools and I got my interview finally! 01/10/19. Anyone know what the average acceptance rate is following the interview ?

This is one of my favorite schools and I got my interview finally! 01/10/19. Anyone know what the average acceptance rate is following the interview ?

My understanding is that it is around 80%. Congrats!

I received an email indicating the strict DO letter policy at this school. I worked very hard and had 2 DO letters submitted on my behalf last week. I really hope I can get an II here, and soon as I received my first acceptance today.

If any current students of wvsom are on here, would you mind shooting me a message? Wanted to ask about specifics related to the school
PM me with any questions.....I'm a current student

Just to add to the housing discussion. I bought a house as well and it's been the best thing ever. Any time is a good time to look for housing....now it good, but 6 months from now, there will still be options so don't worry too much

For those who got accepted, what time of day did you receive your call?

My letters appeared in my checklist recently. Hoping this is good news. Or any news for that matter :laugh:

I got an interview invite several days after this notification.
I'm hoping that is the case, but I am prepared for either result. I would love to see this school and meet everyone. Thanks for the reply!

My letters appeared in my checklist recently. Hoping this is good news. Or any news for that matter :laugh:

Checked mine after reading this and mine were posted recently as well. Check the websites general FAQ's and I think you will be happy with what you read!

Reactions: 2 users
Checked mine after reading this and mine were posted recently as well. Check the websites general FAQ's and I think you will be happy with what you read!
No way!! Just read 'em. Thanks for pointing that out. Let's chat some more once we get the official word.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I am so excited to share, I have just received an II!!! Does anyone have tips/wisdom to share regarding their experience with interview day here?

Reactions: 4 users
I am so excited to share, I have just received an II!!! Does anyone have tips/wisdom to share regarding their experience with interview day here?

I’m a current student. Pm me and I can help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I was the same way for awhile, but just got an interview invite two days ago!
If anyone has any interview advice or know what the post interview acceptance rate it, I'd love to hear!

I was the same way for awhile, but just got an interview invite two days ago!
If anyone has any interview advice or know what the post interview acceptance rate it, I'd love to hear!
I already posted this earlier in the thread, but it seems it would be good to repost.

First off, since you have an interview, you have a great shot at getting in. WVSOM has one of the highest acceptance rates for those they interview. They look heavily at your application to make sure students fit their mission. They do not care about your grades as much as your fit with their mission. In your interview, just keep going back to how you want to work with underserved in rural areas, that you're interested in primary care (it wasn't my number 1, but I still slipped it in during the interview), and then about your interest in practicing in WV (This is important so check up on healthcares facts in WV)......For example, there is a massive opioid crisis in WV and it could be said that WV has the most unhealthy people in the nation in terms of things like obesity, diabetes, etc. When I brought that up, they were excited that I knew any of that information.

As far as the interview process.....you'll get there and have your interview right away. I had to sit and wait for a while in the admissions building so you just chat with other interviewees and it's kind of a dreadful wait. Then you go in for your interview and it lasts 30-45 minutes. You will have multiple people asking you questions, but they are generally easy and conversational. You shouldn't stress too much about it. They just want to get to know you better. You'll feel like you did a lot of waiting around in the admissions building and you are right. When everyone is done interviewing, you'll go on a tour and then have lunch with some students. Ask them whatever you want and be engaged. Each student has the ability to write you a review that will go in your admissions file and play a role into your acceptance. For those of you who know students who are already attending WVSOM, you can talk with them about submitting a letter to the admissions committee to further recommend you for acceptance.

I have withdrawn my acceptance here :(. I hope someone on here gets it!

II last week, kinda screwed up my interview here since they were asking a lot about my grades and low MCAT score and kinda feel like I did not show my trueself, very bummed about this. So a word for everyone else, make sure you are able to address the weak point on your application.

II last week, kinda screwed up my interview here since they were asking a lot about my grades and low MCAT score and kinda feel like I did not show my trueself, very bummed about this. So a word for everyone else, make sure you are able to address the weak point on your application.
What is your MCAT score and grades......it might not be a big deal. You can PM me

Got an official II this morning after having LOR's posted to my portal recently! Super excited to be considered!

Reactions: 3 users
I also received an II this morning. Congrats to everyone else who received one, as well!

Reactions: 3 users
To those who got II this AM. When were you guys complete?

I submitted 9/17, still havent heard anything...although theymve added my letters and my deficient class.
I don't know anything about the deficient class being added, but the letters are a good sign. The following paragraph is taken directly from this link: https://www.wvsom.edu/admissions/***-general

Have you received my letters of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation, if sent by U.S. mail, will be posted to your online checklist. Any letters submitted via AACOMAS, Interfolio or Virtual Evals can be accessed and reviewed by our office but are not printed or posted to your online checklist until you are officially invited for an interview.

Edit: the three stars in the link are supposed to be acronym for frequently asked questions. I guess this was censored by the forum automatically?

I don't know anything about the deficient class being added, but the letters are a good sign. The following paragraph is taken directly from this link: https://www.wvsom.edu/admissions/***-general

Have you received my letters of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation, if sent by U.S. mail, will be posted to your online checklist. Any letters submitted via AACOMAS, Interfolio or Virtual Evals can be accessed and reviewed by our office but are not printed or posted to your online checklist until you are officially invited for an interview.

Edit: the three stars in the link are supposed to be acronym for frequently asked questions. I guess this was censored by the forum automatically?

Thanks. I’ve just completed my deficit (Biochem) and sent them my transcript. Hope to hear soon.

PS: i think the 3 stars were censored coz their site address have a typo (faq was acronymed fa + G). Haha.

Does anyone know if they have any rotations sites outside of WV? In NY?