2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed September 10th and still nothing. Anyone have any idea when they send acceptances? I thought they said check the portal within a week and a half and there's still nothing there for me
Same

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed September 10th and still nothing. Anyone have any idea when they send acceptances? I thought they said check the portal within a week and a half and there's still nothing there for me

I interviewed the 7th and heard back the 10th. Not sure how often they meet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!! This is my dream school and I'm so excited

Reactions: 9 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!! This is my dream school and I'm so excited

Congrats on the acceptance! I am excited to interview here in a couple weeks. I was curious during your time at the school did they ever talk about their board prep/board scores? On the website it seemed like their first time pass rate was only 87% which I found kinda shocking.

is it too late to submit my secondary? I kind of left this for the end, and maybe I shouldnt have, but I wanted to know if its worth the shot, considering its relatively late now

is it too late to submit my secondary? I kind of left this for the end, and maybe I shouldnt have, but I wanted to know if its worth the shot, considering its relatively late now

Hey! I'm a first year at WVSOM, and there are people in my class who didn't submit their applications until November/December so it's definitely not too late!

Reactions: 1 user
Interview just now. Complete like a long time ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes this school attractive to you guys? I’ve accepted to a few schools and may pass on this interview. It’s pretty far from me.

Reactions: 1 users
What makes this school attractive to you guys? I’ve accepted to a few schools and may pass on this interview. It’s pretty far from me.
21/30 on interviews...dang dude. that is killer!

Overall gut feeling, rural campus, they only do DO, history (since '72 ish), and I'm a rural mountain fan. The campus looks like WCU did when I went there. Mtn valley, brick buildings, green grass and trees.

Do they send interviews before submitting my DO letter of recommendation? I was shadowing a DO. I sent her a letter of recommendation request. I think she will take longer than two weeks to submit it

How are you guys getting to these interviews? I'm from CA and have an interview on Oct. 15.. Flight is around 550$ to even get near West Virginia.. Any other ideas?

How are you guys getting to these interviews? I'm from CA and have an interview on Oct. 15.. Flight is around 550$ to even get near West Virginia.. Any other ideas?
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. I'm from CA too and I had 2 separate interviews on the east coast and each flight ended up costing me around $600. Think of it as an investment for your future lol

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any OMS 1 students on here that would be willing to post or PM their class schedule for this year? I know there’s a 1 week sample online but I’m interested to know how the schedule is laid out for a whole block semester/year.

Hey guys how strict are they in sending interview invites for those that don't have their DO letter uploaded yet, I have an MD but am still finding a DO to shadow.

Hey guys how strict are they in sending interview invites for those that don't have their DO letter uploaded yet, I have an MD but am still finding a DO to shadow.
I've read people (at least in previous cycles) get interview invites with an MD letter but you still need one to matriculate here.

On one of my calls to the admissions office last year they said they will not review your application until it is complete with a DO LOR.

I was wondering if a current student could talk about what an average week's class schedule is like. How often are you in class, and do you feel like you have plenty of time to study outside of class? Would love an example of a week with an exam and one with no exams. Thanks!

I was wondering if a current student could talk about what an average week's class schedule is like. How often are you in class, and do you feel like you have plenty of time to study outside of class? Would love an example of a week with an exam and one with no exams. Thanks!

A current student can chime in if the daily grind at WVSOM has changed, but from my experience the schedule they have on their website is pretty accurate.

Here is a jist: think about medical school as an 8am-5pm job. No day is the same and you will have a mix of labs and lecture. The exception is that labs are usually the same time each week (i.e. OMT lab was every Wednesday from 8am-10am for me). Some days are lecture from 8am-12pm and lab from 1-5pm. Some days are lecture from 8am-12pm with afternoon to study. Some days are lecture all day from 8am-5pm. Nothing will run past 5pm (unless you stay after lab and keep working or there is an exam review going on). As the exam approaches, usually you will get dedicated study time, sometimes two full days of "independent study."
Year 1 Sample Week Schedule | West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

I felt like I had plenty of time to study, especially with the independent study days you get. I used those independent study days to the fullest, often up at 5am and studying till I went to bed depending how far behind I felt (with breaks/workout/social time/food mixed in there of course) :)

WVSOM has the option of watching the lectures at home which is nice. I went to lectures to keep myself accountable, but if the lecture is not mandatory, you can watch them at 1.5x speed at home.

:soexcited:I can't believe I finally get to say this-ACCEPTED:soexcited: Interviewed yesterday

Reactions: 5 users
A current student can chime in if the daily grind at WVSOM has changed, but from my experience the schedule they have on their website is pretty accurate.

Here is a jist: think about medical school as an 8am-5pm job. No day is the same and you will have a mix of labs and lecture. The exception is that labs are usually the same time each week (i.e. OMT lab was every Wednesday from 8am-10am for me). Some days are lecture from 8am-12pm and lab from 1-5pm. Some days are lecture from 8am-12pm with afternoon to study. Some days are lecture all day from 8am-5pm. Nothing will run past 5pm (unless you stay after lab and keep working or there is an exam review going on). As the exam approaches, usually you will get dedicated study time, sometimes two full days of "independent study."
Year 1 Sample Week Schedule | West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

I felt like I had plenty of time to study, especially with the independent study days you get. I used those independent study days to the fullest, often up at 5am and studying till I went to bed depending how far behind I felt (with breaks/workout/social time/food mixed in there of course) :)

WVSOM has the option of watching the lectures at home which is nice. I went to lectures to keep myself accountable, but if the lecture is not mandatory, you can watch them at 1.5x speed at home.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Congrats on everyone that was accepted. I was curious if WVSOM made any comments about their board scores while y’all where interviewing? Their website makes it seem like their first time pass rate was only 87% which I felt was pretty low. Did they say anything about them?